gfxgfx

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
logo

gfx gfx
gfx
680599 Posts in 27601 Topics by 4068 Members - Latest Member: Dae Lims March 29, 2024, 01:29:27 AM
gfx*HomeHelpSearchCalendarLoginRegistergfx
gfxgfx
Pages: [1] 2 3 4 5 6 ... 17 Go Down Print
Author Topic: WIBNTLA Reviews  (Read 72719 times)
SurfRiderHawaii
Smiley Smile Associate

Add Some Music to your day!

View Profile
« on: August 23, 2013, 01:59:35 AM »

Let um rip.

"Brian is The Beach Boys. He is the band. We're his f***ing messengers. He is all of it. Period. We're nothing. He's everything" - Dennis Wilson
STE
Smiley Smile Associate

"I'm not on top like I used to be"

View Profile
« Reply #1 on: August 23, 2013, 02:03:16 AM »

Meh.  There, I said it.

Andrew G. Doe
Smiley Smile Associate

The triumph of The Hickey Script !

View Profile WWW
« Reply #2 on: August 23, 2013, 02:04:02 AM »

It's very good. Very, very good. I'd go so far as to say majestic.

The four sweetest words in my vocabulary: "This poster is ignored".
SurfRiderHawaii
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #3 on: August 23, 2013, 02:07:44 AM »

It's very good. Very, very good. I'd go so far as to say majestic.
(bettin you heard it a long time ago, where we are just now hearing it)
« Last Edit: August 23, 2013, 02:14:50 AM by Oregon River Rider » Logged

"Brian is The Beach Boys. He is the band. We're his f***ing messengers. He is all of it. Period. We're nothing. He's everything" - Dennis Wilson
Andrew G. Doe
Smiley Smile Associate

The triumph of The Hickey Script !

View Profile WWW
« Reply #4 on: August 23, 2013, 02:15:29 AM »

Time does not diminish. Sounds just as killer now as it did back then.
« Last Edit: August 23, 2013, 02:16:50 AM by Andrew G. Doe » Logged

The four sweetest words in my vocabulary: "This poster is ignored".
SurfRiderHawaii
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #5 on: August 23, 2013, 02:22:32 AM »

Time does not diminish. Sounds just as killer now as it did back then.

Smiley Smiley Smiley

Jay
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #6 on: August 23, 2013, 02:40:29 AM »

I'm in the US, so spotify won't work. I haven't ordered the set yet because of the price, and the torrent link I just tried to download nearly fried my computer. This is like cruel, evil joke.  Ahhh!

A son of anarchy surrounded by the hierarchy.
KokoNO
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #7 on: August 23, 2013, 02:45:02 AM »

Well, for what it's worth, there's no torrent or illegal release at the moment. If you go searching for torrents or downloads via Google, you'll just run into shady stuff.

Stick to PirateBay for torrents or Exystence for uploads. If this box hits the web anytime soon for us pirates, it will end up on those places as well, both of which are trustworthy.
Cliff1000uk
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #8 on: August 23, 2013, 05:12:14 AM »

OK-I've given this three listens now and it just gets better

When something is hyped up as much as this track has been over the years, there's always going to be a level of trepidation of how good it will be.

Personally, I think it's fantastic and to think of this along side Surf's Up and 'Til I Die, well, we may have had a slightly different story on our hands.

Bow Dennis Wilson
MBE
« Reply #9 on: August 23, 2013, 05:13:51 AM »

Wonderful record.
humanoidboogie
Smiley Smile Associate

deer

View Profile
« Reply #10 on: August 23, 2013, 05:15:28 AM »

Some parts are very similar to "Cuddle Up", aren't they?
EgoHanger1966
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #11 on: August 23, 2013, 05:18:27 AM »

I am of the opinion that it's not completely finished (and I'm not talking about the guitar solo - I think that's perfect). I have a feeling there would have been at least one more sweetening session for the vocals. I can't hear Al on this at all (and I recall he didn't know about this track when he was asked during C50), and the backing vocals (while incredibly cool because you get to hear Carl and Brian so clearly) are a bit sparse for something that would have actually been released on an album. Dennis' phrasing is very cool, I have a greater understanding of the way he wanted the listener to comprehend the soul of the song just based on the way he's singing it, vs. the Adam Marsland version.

Hal Blaine:"You're gonna get a tomata all over yer puss!"
Brian: "Don't say puss."
Matt Bielewicz
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #12 on: August 23, 2013, 05:27:25 AM »

It's good. It's not great. But I'm one hard-to-convince mofo where it comes to Dennis's stuff. And it does sound awfully like Barbara and Cuddle Up in parts, like a lot of Dennis's tunes from around this time.

But boy, do I love, love, love My Love Lives On on Disc 6. Now THAT'S A DENNIS song. One to melt the heart of even this DW sceptic!
« Last Edit: August 23, 2013, 05:51:33 AM by Matt Bielewicz » Logged
Nicko1234
« Reply #13 on: August 23, 2013, 05:32:48 AM »

WIBNTLA is a very nice song and it is very much in the Cuddle Up stylee. I can understand why Dennis wanted it to be an album closer as that is where it would really fit on an album. For me it is a bit overwrought though.
Dunderhead
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #14 on: August 23, 2013, 05:39:58 AM »

Stuff like Where Is She? always interests me more to be honest, but I've always been a hardline Brianista. Still it's a fine song, would have fit right in on Surf's Up

TEAM COHEN; OFFICIAL CAPTAIN (2013-)
MarcellaHasDirtyFeet
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #15 on: August 23, 2013, 06:15:00 AM »

Yes, there's a chord change or two that definitely remind me of Barbara and Cuddle Up, but the emotions and the production are very different.

It couldn't stand up to the hype upon first listen (what could have?) but after that the song still continues to grow on me. The vocal is fine, yes, but I wasn't blown away by it. Honestly, now I just love the song. Great production, it's not just piano, strings and horns like Cuddle Up and Make it Good, which is a nice change of pace and differentiates it from Dennis' other productions. It's a bit triumphant and defiant, and powerful. It's just great to discover something entirely new by the band after countless hours of listening to them already.

Also, the flute jam at the end sounds just like the Grateful Dead. I was shocked. I like it. The Boys have so many surprises up their sleeves...
Jay
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #16 on: August 23, 2013, 06:17:54 AM »

Gosh Darn it, how are you guys hearing WIBNTLA, before the box is scheduled for release?!?  Angry

Favors of a dubious nature to the first one who puts it up on YouTube.  Grin

A son of anarchy surrounded by the hierarchy.
Cliff1000uk
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #17 on: August 23, 2013, 06:31:09 AM »

Gosh Darn it, how are you guys hearing WIBNTLA, before the box is scheduled for release?!?  Angry

Edit-Deleted!

Sorry guys-didn't think!
« Last Edit: August 23, 2013, 07:12:35 AM by Cliff1000uk » Logged
Lowbacca
Smiley Smile Associate

please let me wonder

View Profile
« Reply #18 on: August 23, 2013, 06:33:14 AM »

It is released today. Wink

Gosh Darn it, how are you guys hearing WIBNTLA, before the box is scheduled for release?!?  Angry

Favors of a dubious nature to the first one who puts it up on YouTube.  Grin

Here you go-mp3
http://www.sendspace.com/file/ff8ij9

Probably not a good idea. Wink
Dunderhead
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #19 on: August 23, 2013, 06:35:45 AM »

Probably not a good idea. Wink

Yeah, probably...

Oh well too late!

Mike's Beard
Smiley Smile Associate

Check your privilege. Love & Mercy guys!

View Profile
« Reply #20 on: August 23, 2013, 06:50:01 AM »

Well Dennis sings the hell out of it, quite beautifully and I love the build up throughtout the second verse/chorus..... then it just kind of peters out. Any Dennis on Surf's Up would have been welcome but this falls a fair distance short of being worthy to close the album over the title track.

I'd rather be forced to sleep with Caitlyn Jenner then ever have to listen to NPP again.
Dunderhead
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #21 on: August 23, 2013, 06:51:39 AM »

Well Dennis sings the hell out of it, quite beautifully and I love the build up throughtout the second verse/chorus..... then it just kind of peters out. Any Dennis on Surf's Up would have been welcome but this falls a fair distance short of being worthy to close the album over the title track.

That's about how I feel as well. Sound of Free is still the one Dennis song from this era I wish would have been on the album. I need to listen to WIBNTLA more still, but I don't know if I like it more than either Sound of Free or California Slide honestly
« Last Edit: August 23, 2013, 06:53:58 AM by Dr. John Becker » Logged

Amazing Larry
Smiley Smile Associate

There's a new daddy in town...

View Profile
« Reply #22 on: August 23, 2013, 06:58:17 AM »

I'd say it live up to the hype, honestly. Any song that makes me break into tears is special. It's a travesty that it wasn't released back in the day.
« Last Edit: August 23, 2013, 07:05:05 AM by Discipline Daddy » Logged

A discipline daddy.
Niko
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #23 on: August 23, 2013, 07:02:35 AM »

I love it. First listen was weird, trying to work out the hype and the song. After 5 listens, I can say I think it's a fantastic song that does not disappoint. I sent it to a fellow music fan who's not a big Beach Boys fan (loves Pet Sounds and the early hits, that's it) and got his opinion as well, and we loved it. So great this is out. It's like a gift from the dead.

Mike's Beard
Smiley Smile Associate

Check your privilege. Love & Mercy guys!

View Profile
« Reply #24 on: August 23, 2013, 07:05:00 AM »

That's about how I feel as well. Sound of Free is still the one Dennis song from this era I wish would have been on the album. I need to listen to WIBNTLA more still, but I don't know if I like it more than either Sound of Free or California Slide honestly

I'd say Sound of Free is his best tune from this era followed by 4th of July. I just played WIBNTLA again and noticed the verses sound quite similar to The Beatles Fool On The Hill!

Despite my only moderate gushing of the tune I do not feel the slightest bit let down in finally hearing it; I realised a long time ago that there is nothing on this earth that can live up to the hype this song has had put on it.

I'd rather be forced to sleep with Caitlyn Jenner then ever have to listen to NPP again.
gfx
Pages: [1] 2 3 4 5 6 ... 17 Go Up Print 
gfx
Jump to:  
gfx