gfxgfx

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
logo

gfx gfx
gfx
680823 Posts in 27616 Topics by 4067 Members - Latest Member: Dae Lims April 25, 2024, 03:56:07 PM
gfx*HomeHelpSearchCalendarLoginRegistergfx
gfxgfx
Pages: 1 2 3 4 5 [6] 7 Go Down Print
Author Topic: Brian's facebook just posted a picture of Blondie Chaplin recording at Oceanway.  (Read 29965 times)
Rocker
Smiley Smile Associate

"Too dumb for New York City, too ugly for L.A."

View Profile WWW
« Reply #125 on: August 26, 2013, 02:15:23 AM »

Murry's boys

a diseased bunch of mo'fos if there ever was one… their beauty is so awesome that listening to them at their best is like being in some vast dream cathedral decorated with a thousand gleaming American pop culture icons.

- Lester Bangs on The Beach Boys

PRO SHOT BEACH BOYS CONCERTS - LIST

To sum it up, they blew it, they blew it consistently, they continue to blow it, it is tragic and this pathological problem caused The Beach Boys' greatest music to be so underrated by the general public.

- Jack Rieley
HeyJude
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile WWW
« Reply #126 on: August 26, 2013, 06:25:21 AM »

They could call it "Flame Family & Friends", instigating a lawsuit from Ricky Fataar......  LOL

THE BEACH BOYS OPINION PAGE IS ON FACEBOOK!!! http://www.facebook.com/beachboysopinion - Check out the original "BEACH BOYS OPINION PAGE" Blog - http://beachboysopinion.blogspot.com/
HeyJude
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile WWW
« Reply #127 on: August 26, 2013, 06:31:04 AM »

A hypothetical question.

Mike has the legal use of the Beach Boys for touring only. What could the legal standing re a new Beach Boys album? My first thought was no Mike- No chance. But then we had Summer In Paradise with no Brian. Undecided

So in theory,could the voting members of BRI allow Brian, Al, Dave, Blondie (plus Jeff) only, to make a Beach Boys titled album?

The legal standing of anything being called "The Beach Boys", from a tour to an album to a signature line of singing toothbrushes would involve agreement by the shareholders of BRI. They currently have granted a license to use the name solely for touring to Mike.

There is no standing license to use the name for recording new albums. Any new album using the name would require agreement by the majority I would presume. How did they do an album without Brian in 1992? Either Brian (or his conservator at that time?) didn't care and/or agreed to it, or perhaps he disagreed with it but they had a majority of voters (Mike, Carl, and Al) involved enough with the project that that was enough. I've never heard Brian comment much if at all about the SIP album, so I dunno.

Presently, I don't see anybody in the organization trying to use the BB name for a new album unless they regroup as they did last year. Brian seems fine doing solo stuff, and between the lucrative nature of touring and the utter failure of SIP, I don't think Mike has much interest in attempting to license the name to do a "Beach Boys" album on his own, and he likely wouldn't have the support to do that anyway.

THE BEACH BOYS OPINION PAGE IS ON FACEBOOK!!! http://www.facebook.com/beachboysopinion - Check out the original "BEACH BOYS OPINION PAGE" Blog - http://beachboysopinion.blogspot.com/
HeyJude
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile WWW
« Reply #128 on: August 26, 2013, 06:37:32 AM »

Right now, none of those guys are.  Just check all the tour promotion.  The Beach Boys are Mike, Bruce, Scott, John, Christian, Tim, and Randall.

Not exactly. The principals (the actual Beach Boys) are Mike and Bruce. The other guys comprise the Beach Boys Band. The press does not often grasp the distinction, but they are getting better at it.

We know this, and and those that can't distinguish them in a picture probably don't matter anyway, but most of the press photos and whatnot for Mike's band that I see show the entire band with a Beach Boys logo. Mike and Bruce are usually front and center in the photos but there is no separate distinction showing that the other members are not in the Beach Boys but rather in the Beach Boys band. It's unfortunate some of the press and some casual fans can understand this distinction, but as I've said before it is a problem that all of the members of the band have created by licensing the trademark to a band that doesn't represent the actual members in the band.

I think it's pretty easy to tell the other guys are at least a decade or two younger than Mike and Bruce.

In most cases. But I'd say a couple of the dudes (Kirsche for instance) in some of the group photos I've seen sort of blends into that general look of older dude with short hair wearing a baseball cap and Hawaiin shirt. My main point was that big fans know who is who, but the "masses" who I've heard in person and I've read stories about, who are utterly clueless about who is original and who isn't, are not going to make the distinction between members of "The Beach Boys" and the members of "The Beach Boys Band" within a group who bills itself simply as "The Beach Boys" and who poses for group shots under that name.

It's not a coincidence that when the touring BB's was a four-man unit in the 80's and 90's, they never (to my recollection) posed for group publicity photos with the "touring band." It was only when it dwindled to two members that they started using the backing band for publicity photos. Not sure if they did that much when David was in the band in 1997-99; I know there are some circa 1998 publicity photos with just Mike, Bruce, and David. There are some publicity photos that still float around with just Mike and Bruce that are sometimes used, but more often than not I'm seeing that same photo of the "touring band."

Cam Mott
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #129 on: August 26, 2013, 07:06:42 AM »

I think the confusion of who is a Beach Boy is a non-issue. I just saw the Average White Band, I'm just a causal fan, I wasn't under the impression that this was the original band with two old guys and some young guys that were barely born when the band formed.

"Bring me the head of Carmen Sandiego" Lynne "The Chief" Thigpen
bonnevillemariner
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #130 on: August 26, 2013, 08:54:58 AM »

I'm relatively new to BB fanaticism, so there are a few things I haven't totally grasped.  Among them:

-Why the hate for Foskett?

-Why the love for Blondie and Ricky?
Mikie
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #131 on: August 26, 2013, 09:11:56 AM »

I'm relatively new to BB fanaticism, so there are a few things I haven't totally grasped.  Among them:

1. Good question - one that I can't answer. He's done a lot for The Beach Boys and Brian. Not sure if Brian can do all that he does without Jeff. Jeff is Brian's #1 right hand man. He ain't a bad guitarist and singer either.
2. Because they were Beach Boys. They recorded on three of their albums; 2 studio, one live. Plus, the old codgers here remember seeing them live on stage with The Beach Boys in the early 70's when the band was at their artsy fartsy best.

I, I love the colorful clothes she wears, and she's already working on my brain. I only looked in her eyes, but I picked up something I just can't explain. I, I bet I know what she’s like, and I can feel how right she’d be for me. It’s weird how she comes in so strong, and I wonder what she’s picking up from me. I hope it’s good, good, good, good vibrations, yeah!!
SurfRiderHawaii
Smiley Smile Associate

Add Some Music to your day!

View Profile
« Reply #132 on: August 26, 2013, 10:19:01 AM »

1. Good question - one that I can't answer. He's done a lot for The Beach Boys and Brian. Not sure if Brian can do all that he does without Jeff. Jeff is Brian's #1 right hand man. He ain't a bad guitarist and singer either.
2. Because they were Beach Boys. They recorded on three of their albums; 2 studio, one live. Plus, the old codgers here remember seeing them live on stage with The Beach Boys in the early 70's when the band was at their artsy fartsy best.
I kind of find Jeff'voice over the top, a bit grating.

Ha, I was in high school when I saw the BBs with Blondie. Damm, they were rocked. And were cool again. Even Mike.

"Brian is The Beach Boys. He is the band. We're his f***ing messengers. He is all of it. Period. We're nothing. He's everything" - Dennis Wilson
drbeachboy
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #133 on: August 26, 2013, 10:58:58 AM »

I kind of find Jeff'voice over the top, a bit grating.

Ha, I was in high school when I saw the BBs with Blondie. Damm, they were rocked. And were cool again. Even Mike.
When Jeff first joined The Beach Boys, he was a welcome sight. For years, they were missing that falsetto that could cut through all the instrumentation on stage. Even today, Jeff is fine in the Live setting and sounds enough like a younger Brian to really give the songs a more Beach Boys sound, especially in Brian's band.

The Brianista Prayer

Oh Brian
Thou Art In Hawthorne,
Harmonied Be Thy name
Your Kingdom Come,
Your Steak Well Done,
On Stage As It Is In Studio,
Give Us This Day, Our Shortenin' Bread
And Forgive Us Our Bootlegs,
As We Also Have Forgiven Our Wife And Managers,
And Lead Us Not Into Kokomo,
But Deliver Us From Mike Love.
Amen.  ---hypehat
bonnevillemariner
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #134 on: August 26, 2013, 11:11:47 AM »

When Jeff first joined The Beach Boys, he was a welcome sight. For years, they were missing that falsetto that could cut through all the instrumentation on stage. Even today, Jeff is fine in the Live setting and sounds enough like a younger Brian to really give the songs a more Beach Boys sound, especially in Brian's band.

Agreed on Jeff, though I think he sounds more like a Beach Boy on his non-BB/BW stuff than he does on actual BB/BW stuff.  

I still don't get Blondie.  So he made them seem cool again and was apparently awesome on stage.  What about an album setting where the only standout could be his vocals?  Was his voice really THAT special?  Did it really have that much indispensable chemistry with the others?  I think this Blondie love is just nostalgia for those early 70's concerts.
Bean Bag
Smiley Smile Associate

Right?

View Profile
« Reply #135 on: August 26, 2013, 11:15:47 AM »

If Denny and Carl were still with us...

...would they be here?

...or here?

Marcella
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #136 on: August 26, 2013, 11:21:17 AM »

It would be up to Brian considering the Love/Jardine pair and the Carl/Dennis pair were always tight and it was Brian who went back and forth between the two but you'd have to think Carl and Dennis would be with Brian, no real question about it.
drbeachboy
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #137 on: August 26, 2013, 11:25:12 AM »

I still don't get Blondie.  So he made them seem cool again and was apparently awesome on stage.  What about an album setting where the only standout could be his vocals?  Was his voice really THAT special?  Did it really have that much indispensable chemistry with the others?  I think this Blondie love is just nostalgia for those early 70's concerts.
He helped give The Beach Boys a different sound. I like Blondie's and Ricky's stuff on CAPT & Holland. He did a terrific lead on Sail On Sailor too. So, I like the studio work as well as his stage work. I saw the band 3 times with Blondie, and I think, not by coincidence, those 3 shows were great. I think they provided an energy to their shows. He and Ricky were new and they were able to provide some spark. Plus, I think the whole band worked very hard to prove that they were not washed up, and that the tag placed on them was unjustifiable.

The Brianista Prayer

Oh Brian
Thou Art In Hawthorne,
Harmonied Be Thy name
Your Kingdom Come,
Your Steak Well Done,
On Stage As It Is In Studio,
Give Us This Day, Our Shortenin' Bread
And Forgive Us Our Bootlegs,
As We Also Have Forgiven Our Wife And Managers,
And Lead Us Not Into Kokomo,
But Deliver Us From Mike Love.
Amen.  ---hypehat
southbay
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #138 on: August 26, 2013, 12:40:50 PM »

It would be up to Brian considering the Love/Jardine pair and the Carl/Dennis pair were always tight and it was Brian who went back and forth between the two but you'd have to think Carl and Dennis would be with Brian, no real question about it.

Yeah, I don't think that Love/Jardine faction is as strong as it used to be.... Wink
« Last Edit: August 26, 2013, 12:45:08 PM by southbay » Logged

Summer's gone...it's finally sinking in
Phoenix
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #139 on: August 26, 2013, 12:45:08 PM »

...would they be here?

...or here?

I so wish Dave was in that top pic!
Marcella
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #140 on: August 26, 2013, 12:46:47 PM »

Yeah, I don't think that Love/Jardine faction is as strong as it used to be....

True that. What is at the heart of their conflict? I think more so than any other messed up interpersonal dynamics among the Beach Boys the Al/Mike divide is the widest. What caused this divide? It seems to go back over 20 years, as Al was suspended from participating much in the Summer in Paradise sessions (much to his chagrin, no doubt!)
Rocker
Smiley Smile Associate

"Too dumb for New York City, too ugly for L.A."

View Profile WWW
« Reply #141 on: August 26, 2013, 12:47:48 PM »

Blondie and Ricky both are excellent musicians. And Blondie's voice is a very strong instrument on it's own. He just has a style. Plus his voice fit very well into the Beach Boys blend. Listen to the "In concert" album and you'll hear just how well. He even takes the high background part from time to time (intro to "Don't worry baby" for example). He has a certain warmth that just fits perfectly to the Boys. And I love his "ta-a-a-a-a-tions" on "Good vibrations".

If you got a chance check out "The Flame"'s first album. It really is a great record.

a diseased bunch of mo'fos if there ever was one… their beauty is so awesome that listening to them at their best is like being in some vast dream cathedral decorated with a thousand gleaming American pop culture icons.

- Lester Bangs on The Beach Boys

PRO SHOT BEACH BOYS CONCERTS - LIST

To sum it up, they blew it, they blew it consistently, they continue to blow it, it is tragic and this pathological problem caused The Beach Boys' greatest music to be so underrated by the general public.

- Jack Rieley
send me a picture and i'll tell you
Smiley Smile Associate

spilling my phector

View Profile
« Reply #142 on: August 26, 2013, 02:02:22 PM »

« Last Edit: August 26, 2013, 02:04:31 PM by Spil Phector » Logged

that's it, who here wants to touch d***s? all in a row, just run your hand across several of them and hit them like you're bret hart tagging your fans as you approach the ring wearing teh pink sunglasses in 1993     ----runnersdialzero

We have a little extra meat onstage. The audience can feel it.   --Al Jardine

pLeAsUrE iSlAnD!!!!!!!!!!!!!
Pretty Funky
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #143 on: August 26, 2013, 02:08:48 PM »

The Beach Boys had been going about 10 years when they joined and were all late 20s- 30. Crazy to think about it now but they possibly perceived themselves as being old and stale. It had been their only deal for all their adult lives really. The music styles and fashions had changed.

Imagine if when Brian had left they bought in 2 black members wearing those stripped shirts. At the time surely a career ender but a few years later it was a master stroke and just refreshed the group and gave them a new outlook and some fire power live and in the studio.
Wah Wah Wah Ooooo
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #144 on: August 26, 2013, 04:53:14 PM »

LOL LOL LOL
This pic may be my favorite post on this board, ever.

"I'm in a band. We're called the Beach Boys." ~ Brian Wilson
Mikie
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #145 on: August 26, 2013, 05:08:58 PM »

I still don't get Blondie.

Listen to the new live version of Wild Honey to "get" Blondie.

Or to this. As a reviewer said, a Beach Boys song with balls:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JfDKow9kcpU

Or how 'bout an acoustic version. Guy can still sing with soul:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=M5WDhyPX9XI
« Last Edit: August 26, 2013, 05:14:09 PM by Mikie » Logged

I, I love the colorful clothes she wears, and she's already working on my brain. I only looked in her eyes, but I picked up something I just can't explain. I, I bet I know what she’s like, and I can feel how right she’d be for me. It’s weird how she comes in so strong, and I wonder what she’s picking up from me. I hope it’s good, good, good, good vibrations, yeah!!
leggo of my ego
Smiley Smile Associate

Beach Boys Stomp

View Profile
« Reply #146 on: August 26, 2013, 05:16:57 PM »

...would they be here?

...or here?

Hmm - with their brother of course!

Hey Little Tomboy is creepy. Banging women by the pool is fun and conjures up warm summer thoughts a Beach Boys song should.

Necessity knows no law
A bootlegger knows no law
Therefore: A bootlegger is a necessity
hypehat
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #147 on: August 26, 2013, 05:18:24 PM »

...would they be here?

...or here?

Trick question, they would be the secret identities of hipster electronica artists.

All roads lead to Kokomo. Exhaustive research in time travel has conclusively proven that there is no alternate universe WITHOUT Kokomo. It would've happened regardless.
What is this "life" thing you speak of ?

Quote from: Al Jardine
Syncopate it? In front of all these people?!
leggo of my ego
Smiley Smile Associate

Beach Boys Stomp

View Profile
« Reply #148 on: August 26, 2013, 05:22:17 PM »

LOL LOL LOL

Oh My Grandfather Dave...what big..um Everything you have.  Grin go on a diet.

Hey Little Tomboy is creepy. Banging women by the pool is fun and conjures up warm summer thoughts a Beach Boys song should.

Necessity knows no law
A bootlegger knows no law
Therefore: A bootlegger is a necessity
Mikie
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #149 on: August 26, 2013, 05:35:18 PM »

Guess you don't read the board very much, eh?  Roll Eyes

gfx
Pages: 1 2 3 4 5 [6] 7 Go Up Print 
gfx
Jump to:  
gfx