gfxgfx

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
logo

gfx gfx
gfx
681519 Posts in 27641 Topics by 4082 Members - Latest Member: briansclub June 10, 2024, 08:38:50 PM
gfx*HomeHelpSearchCalendarLoginRegistergfx
gfxgfx
Pages: 1 ... 3 4 5 6 7 [8] 9 10 11 Go Down Print
Author Topic: The (eventually) MIC spoilers thread  (Read 46871 times)
Heysaboda
Smiley Smile Associate

Son, don't wait till the break of day....

View Profile
« Reply #175 on: August 23, 2013, 10:12:08 AM »

Seriously. I don't own the Smile box

Well, that was your first mistake!

Son, don't wait till the break of day 'cause you know how time fades away......
Rocky Raccoon
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #176 on: August 23, 2013, 10:26:09 AM »

and a photo of Mike with no pants on.

As if there wasn't reason enough to buy this set!

♩♬🐸 Billy C ♯♫♩🐇
Pissing off drunks since 1978
Global Moderator

🍦🍦 Pet Demon for Sale - $5 or best offer ☮☮

View Profile WWW
« Reply #177 on: August 23, 2013, 11:35:58 AM »

Damn...wish I could hear some of this. Won't be getting the boxed set due to limited funds. Can't believe the day is almost here!

Need your song mixed/mastered? Contact me at fear2stop@yahoo.com. Serious inquiries only, please!
Micha
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile WWW
« Reply #178 on: August 23, 2013, 11:47:47 AM »

5:54pm, spent nearly 2 1/2 hours listening... Started with disc one, skipping very few tracks, and after the stereo Little Saint Nick I stayed with the unreleased/newly mixed stuff only.

Great comments Micha, thanks! As someone who has received the ACTUAL physical set, as opposed to pretending to be Finnish all afternoon ( Wink )... can you tell us if there are any hidden tracks at the end of the discs? These are sometimes left off the on-line versions...

Unfortunately there don't seem to be any hidden tracks (checked only on 2 discs), but all six discs are up full with over 78 minutes each.

Checked a few more. So sad not more Paley tracks were finished, even though TWGMTR is IMHO a better song than Soul Searchin'. But there's so much strong stuff left unfinished there.

Brian's new lead on You're Still A Mystery is ok, but lacks the weird aura of the contemporary one.

1978 California Feelin' doesn't grow on me. The 1974 demo has way more charm, so good they included this.

1970 Back home already has the chorus absent on the 1963 version, but Al changed lyrics and melody of the main part. Brian's falsettoing on the chorus.

Listened to WIBNTLA again. That should definitely fade before that final part comes up... Reminds me in parts of The Fool On The Hill. Brian can be heard on it too.

Funny outtake from the Party sessions, Carl claiming "This is Alan Jardine, and this is what takes place at a typical Beach Boys party..." They should have kept THAT on the original LP! Cheesy

I found once more that the stereo tag of GOK doesn't move me near as much as the original one.

Nice session intro to IGA - obviously the harpsichord was to be more prominent originally.

And it isn't actually a box - it's an LP sized hardcover book with the CDs in cardboard slits at the end, slits like in the TSS box.

I was bitchin' a bit more here, but I'm really happy to own this. A must for every Beach Boys fanatic, really.

Ceterum censeo SMiLEBrianum OSDumque esse excludendos banno.
leggo of my ego
Smiley Smile Associate

Beach Boys Stomp

View Profile
« Reply #179 on: August 23, 2013, 11:50:56 AM »

Remove CDs C  A   R   E  F  U  L  L  Y - place in jewel cases.  Undecided

Hey Little Tomboy is creepy. Banging women by the pool is fun and conjures up warm summer thoughts a Beach Boys song should.

Necessity knows no law
A bootlegger knows no law
Therefore: A bootlegger is a necessity
coco1997
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #180 on: August 23, 2013, 11:52:09 AM »

I'm a little late to the party...Is the whole set being streamed somewhere?

"I've never been to Mars, but I imagine it's quite lovely."
♩♬🐸 Billy C ♯♫♩🐇
Pissing off drunks since 1978
Global Moderator

🍦🍦 Pet Demon for Sale - $5 or best offer ☮☮

View Profile WWW
« Reply #181 on: August 23, 2013, 11:53:34 AM »

Brian's new lead on You're Still A Mystery is ok, but lacks the weird aura of the contemporary one.

New lead? What?! Damn, I'm out of the loop...

Need your song mixed/mastered? Contact me at fear2stop@yahoo.com. Serious inquiries only, please!
The Dumb Angel
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #182 on: August 23, 2013, 12:14:42 PM »

I Just listened to WIBNTLA!  Shocked

It definitely deserved the hype.
Quzi
Smiley Smile Associate

Eagerly awaiting tHe BeDRoOM TaPES

View Profile
« Reply #183 on: August 23, 2013, 12:30:01 PM »

I wish I could hear this. 3:30am, four hours down, and I still haven't found Spotify's "Open Sesame"... Cry

"A/S/L"?
"Age:24. That's when Brian Wilson made Pet Sounds. Sex: Brian Wilson was having loads of sex with Marilyn when he made Pet Sounds. Location: Gold Star Studios, where Brian Wilson assembled with the Wrecking Crew to make Pet Sounds. Hbu?"
EgoHanger1966
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #184 on: August 23, 2013, 01:02:40 PM »

There's no evidence of this. Brian's vocal sounds digitally manipulated in some way, but doesn't quite sound like current Brian. Could this have been attempted for GIOMH?

Hal Blaine:"You're gonna get a tomata all over yer puss!"
Brian: "Don't say puss."
HeyJude
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile WWW
« Reply #185 on: August 23, 2013, 01:05:54 PM »

I hadn't heard about this either. Not liking the idea at all. Maybe Brian insisted on re-doing the lead if they wanted to get it on the box. But it kills part of the novelty of it being a document of their mid 90's reunion attempt. His voice sounded different on the original recording, that mid 90's sound he had. But that lead was perfectly fine.

THE BEACH BOYS OPINION PAGE IS ON FACEBOOK!!! http://www.facebook.com/beachboysopinion - Check out the original "BEACH BOYS OPINION PAGE" Blog - http://beachboysopinion.blogspot.com/
HeyJude
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile WWW
« Reply #186 on: August 23, 2013, 01:07:42 PM »

There's no evidence of this. Brian's vocal sounds digitally manipulated in some way, but doesn't quite sound like current Brian. Could this have been attempted for GIOMH?

I haven't heard it, but is there any chance that multiple leads were cut back around that time? Interesting.
« Last Edit: August 23, 2013, 01:09:27 PM by HeyJude » Logged

THE BEACH BOYS OPINION PAGE IS ON FACEBOOK!!! http://www.facebook.com/beachboysopinion - Check out the original "BEACH BOYS OPINION PAGE" Blog - http://beachboysopinion.blogspot.com/
Heysaboda
Smiley Smile Associate

Son, don't wait till the break of day....

View Profile
« Reply #187 on: August 23, 2013, 01:17:52 PM »

All I know is on TUESDAY when I get my "boxed set" (heh) of Beach Boys "CD product" (sorry) it’s gonna be a sonic BLAST, man!

I’m gonna start with WIBNTLA on CD 4, because I’ve never heard it before!

Son, don't wait till the break of day 'cause you know how time fades away......
ontor pertawst
Smiley Smile Associate

L♡VE ALWAYS WINS

View Profile WWW
« Reply #188 on: August 23, 2013, 01:18:45 PM »

This is all way too exciting. I am on front door/UPS patrol like you wouldn't believe.

(runs around in circles screaming)
Jason
« Reply #189 on: August 23, 2013, 02:07:02 PM »

For those who've already heard the box, are there any differences in the Sail Plane Song mix from the mix on Endless Harmony?
b00ts
Smiley Smile Associate

Greldont

View Profile WWW
« Reply #190 on: August 23, 2013, 02:17:21 PM »

All I know is on TUESDAY when I get my "boxed set" (heh) of Beach Boys "CD product" (sorry) it’s gonna be a sonic BLAST, man!

I’m gonna start with WIBNTLA on CD 4, because I’ve never heard it before!

Maybe you should keep your enthusiasm to yourself, and be sympathetic to the fact that many of us on this board can't stand the music of The Beach Boys.

Now, who wants to talk sports??? The Nymets are my favorite squadron!

- B00ts
Wrightfan
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #191 on: August 23, 2013, 02:29:32 PM »

For those who've already heard the box, are there any differences in the Sail Plane Song mix from the mix on Endless Harmony?

The person who reviewed it a month or so back said there was trippy vocal panning and "bomb sounds" at the end.
Matt Bielewicz
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #192 on: August 23, 2013, 04:37:18 PM »

It's true about the new mix of Sail Plane song. It has a psychedelic ending that I think has probably been fashioned using modern tech, either hardware processors or plug-ins, whereas the Endless Harmony mix just peters out. The new one ends in a sort of modern take on the Cantina H&V's 'tape explosion'. Think lots of concatenated delays and a bunch of filters going haywire!

I like it, but then I likes me some studio trickery. I'm sure there will be plenty of purists around in no time to say that the producers of the set shouldn't have futzed with the purity of Brian's vision... [stifles a yawn]
Wrightfan
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #193 on: August 23, 2013, 04:40:11 PM »

It's true about the new mix of Sail Plane song. It has a psychedelic ending that I think has probably been fashioned using modern tech, either hardware processors or plug-ins, whereas the Endless Harmony mix just peters out. The new one ends in a sort of modern take on the Cantina H&V's 'tape explosion'. Think lots of concatenated delays and a bunch of filters going haywire!

Oh man, I really need to hear this yesterday.

Come on Spotify! Open up to all us non-fins!
bgas
Smiley Smile Associate

Oh for the good old days

View Profile
« Reply #194 on: August 23, 2013, 06:40:33 PM »

I don't get it; is that some sort of water joke?

Nothing I post is my opinion, it's all a message from God
Wrightfan
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #195 on: August 23, 2013, 06:49:52 PM »

It's Finns isn't it?

What I get for being one of the few non-Europeans here LOL
bgas
Smiley Smile Associate

Oh for the good old days

View Profile
« Reply #196 on: August 23, 2013, 06:58:01 PM »

It's Finns isn't it?

What I get for being one of the few non-Europeans here LOL

If you're not of Euro descent, what does that leave?

Nothing I post is my opinion, it's all a message from God
punkinhead
Smiley Smile Associate

what it means to be human

View Profile
« Reply #197 on: August 23, 2013, 09:46:58 PM »

I'd heard Brian rerecorded vocals for You're still a mystery in the late 90s like 99 from a very reliable source.

Does the booklet have good info on recording dates, who did whats?

To view my video documentation of my Beach Boys collection go to www.youtube.com/justinplank

"Someone needs to tell Adrian Baker that imitation isn't innovation." -The Real Beach Boy

~post of the century~
"Well, you reached out to me too, David, and I'd be more than happy to fill Bgas's shoes. You don't need him anyway - some of us have the same items in our collections as he does and we're also much better writers. Spoiled brat....."
-Mikie

"in this online beach boy community, I've found that you're either correct or corrected. Which in my mind is all in good fun to show ones knowledge of their favorite band."- punkinhead
Jim V.
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #198 on: August 23, 2013, 09:51:56 PM »

I'd heard Brian rerecorded vocals for You're still a mystery in the late 90s like 99 from a very reliable source.

I think what you're actually thinking of is the recording of the song he did with Joe Thomas in the late '90s under the title "It's Happening Again".

It's likely that either the version of the set is either from 1995 or maybe the TWGMTR sessions. If it is indeed a "new" vocal, I'm assuming maybe he redid it because it was under consideration for last year's album.
Jay
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #199 on: August 23, 2013, 09:56:35 PM »

I hope folks will maintain a sense of proportion.  We're very, very fortunate…

Really, dude? That's rather Ethanesque, isn't it?

A son of anarchy surrounded by the hierarchy.
gfx
Pages: 1 ... 3 4 5 6 7 [8] 9 10 11 Go Up Print 
gfx
Jump to:  
gfx