gfxgfx

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
logo

gfx gfx
gfx
680599 Posts in 27601 Topics by 4068 Members - Latest Member: Dae Lims March 28, 2024, 11:59:21 PM
gfx*HomeHelpSearchCalendarLoginRegistergfx
gfxgfx
Pages: [1] 2 Go Down Print
Author Topic: ZAPPA!  (Read 9679 times)
Pinder's Gone To Kokomo And Back Again
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« on: August 12, 2013, 03:13:32 PM »

Who's a fan, and who other than myself considers Frank as much a musical genius as Brian (minus the vocal genius and pop touch)?

The early Mothers stuff is my fave stuff but all of it is fascinating!!!
Amazing Larry
Smiley Smile Associate

There's a new daddy in town...

View Profile
« Reply #1 on: August 12, 2013, 03:18:54 PM »

I'm definitely with you on thinking Frank was as much of a musical genius as Brian.

A discipline daddy.
Jason
« Reply #2 on: August 12, 2013, 03:23:29 PM »

As far as musicians go, Zappa has few peers. I think the quality of his work began to decline around the time of Apostrophe, but he was ridiculously good from 1966-1974.
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #3 on: August 12, 2013, 03:26:09 PM »

As far as musicians go, Zappa has few peers. I think the quality of his work began to decline around the time of Apostrophe, but he was ridiculously good from 1966-1974.

Agree!

I do dig Sheik Yervberouti a lot though and Joe's Garage has some great stuff.

Nothing beats the Freak Out/Absolutely Free era, to me. Though the Beefheart stuff is amazing.
SMiLE Brian
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #4 on: August 12, 2013, 03:38:02 PM »

I love Zappa! I think he was best working with the mothers in the 1960s. "I love freak out!" and "Cruisin"....

And production aside, I’d so much rather hear a 14 year old David Marks shred some guitar on Chug-a-lug than hear a 51 year old Mike Love sing about bangin some chick in a swimming pool.-rab2591
Amazing Larry
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #5 on: August 12, 2013, 03:45:02 PM »

People forget how good Cruising With Ruben And The Jets is because of the shitty 80's overdubs. The original mix is sublime.

A discipline daddy.
SMiLE Brian
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #6 on: August 12, 2013, 03:46:50 PM »

My friend gave me a needle drop of the album, so I can avoid the 1980s version.

And production aside, I’d so much rather hear a 14 year old David Marks shred some guitar on Chug-a-lug than hear a 51 year old Mike Love sing about bangin some chick in a swimming pool.-rab2591
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #7 on: August 12, 2013, 03:49:04 PM »

People forget how good Cruising With Ruben And The Jets is because of the shitty 80's overdubs. The original mix is sublime.

Yeah, I first heard it via the 80's version but was lucky enough to snag a vinyl version recently.....
alf wiedersehen
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #8 on: August 12, 2013, 03:51:53 PM »

I'm a fan of Zappa, mostly his stuff with the original line-up of The Mothers.

His later solo work is okay too, but his sense of humor doesn't doesn't really mix with mine.
SMiLE Brian
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #9 on: August 12, 2013, 03:55:47 PM »

Yeah, I first heard it via the 80's version but was lucky enough to snag a vinyl version recently.....
Anyway the wind blows! Grin

Studio Z version of "love of my life"
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=X9-_aDS70vc
« Last Edit: August 12, 2013, 03:58:04 PM by SMiLE Brian » Logged

Niko
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #10 on: August 12, 2013, 04:46:11 PM »

The Mothers are still touring as the Grandmothers of Invention. I saw them this summer, and they were absolutely incredible - one of the best shows I've ever seen.

If you're a Zappa fan, go see that show!

Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #11 on: August 12, 2013, 04:51:54 PM »

Anyway the wind blows! Grin

Studio Z version of "love of my life"
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=X9-_aDS70vc

Awesome!!!! Thanks SB Smiley
the professor
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #12 on: August 12, 2013, 06:06:19 PM »

do you all know that Frank is buried in an unmarked grave in the same cemetery where Carl is buried?
seltaeb1012002
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #13 on: August 12, 2013, 06:24:34 PM »

Lumpy Gravy is amazing. And sort of similar to SMiLE in the way that it contains variations on a theme, with other little sections mixed in. Man, so freaking good.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=apTPXPBMBXk
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #14 on: August 12, 2013, 11:58:15 PM »

The Mothers are still touring as the Grandmothers of Invention. I saw them this summer, and they were absolutely incredible - one of the best shows I've ever seen.

Oh man! Where was this??
Jay
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #15 on: August 13, 2013, 12:57:09 AM »

I for the life of me can't figure Frank Zappa. Everybody and their brother talks about him being a genius but whenever I try to listen to him I'm just left confused. I just now listened to "don't eat the yellow snow and nanook rubs it"(I don't even know if that's the title, or if the youtube link is two songs put together) and all I can say is...."what?!?".  LOL I mean, it makes no musical sense whatsoever to me. It's like ten songs put into one, with no real structure to it. http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=n0Qw3Foa_XE

I have to admit that "Great Googily Moogily!" is an awesome thing to say. Especially unexpectedly, when everything in the house has gotten just a little to quiet.  Evil

A son of anarchy surrounded by the hierarchy.
Amazing Larry
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #16 on: August 13, 2013, 02:34:36 AM »

I for the life of me can't figure Frank Zappa. Everybody and their brother talks about him being a genius but whenever I try to listen to him I'm just left confused. I just now listened to "don't eat the yellow snow and nanook rubs it"(I don't even know if that's the title, or if the youtube link is two songs put together) and all I can say is...."what?!?".  LOL I mean, it makes no musical sense whatsoever to me. It's like ten songs put into one, with no real structure to it. http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=n0Qw3Foa_XE

I have to admit that "Great Googily Moogily!" is an awesome thing to say. Especially unexpectedly, when everything in the house has gotten just a little to quiet.  Evil
These may be easier to digest for a Zappa novice:
Black Napkins (Live on The Mike Douglas Show)
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_q0nImsfMvE
Aybe Sea
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JnAnpOUUzow
Willie The Pimp (Featuring the late, great Captain Beefheart on vocals.)
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LKtQflWz3lA
Jelly Roll Gum Drop
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8PQ1a2COlg4
« Last Edit: August 13, 2013, 02:46:44 AM by Discipline Daddy » Logged

A discipline daddy.
beatnickle
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #17 on: August 13, 2013, 06:01:56 AM »

One of the interesting things about Zappa is that he never fell for the whole drug, hippie,  love-in movement. He saw through it much like G. Harrison did when he visited Haight Ashbury. Only Zappa never fell for it. He lampooned the hell out of it in "We're Only in it for the Money" which I love.  ( Eric Clapton is one of the voices in "Are You Hung Up")
 Yeah, I know, he lampooned everything. Much like Groucho Marx...... he refused to belong to any club that would have him as a member.
zane7570
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #18 on: August 13, 2013, 08:30:21 AM »

I adore the music of Frank Zappa. One Size Fits All is my favorite album from beginning to end, but there are many many great albums in his discography. There are a few albums I'm not so crazy about but even these have tracks I love.
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #19 on: August 13, 2013, 11:58:24 AM »

I for the life of me can't figure Frank Zappa. Everybody and their brother talks about him being a genius but whenever I try to listen to him I'm just left confused. I just now listened to "don't eat the yellow snow and nanook rubs it"(I don't even know if that's the title, or if the youtube link is two songs put together) and all I can say is...."what?!?".  LOL I mean, it makes no musical sense whatsoever to me. It's like ten songs put into one, with no real structure to it. http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=n0Qw3Foa_XE

I have to admit that "Great Googily Moogily!" is an awesome thing to say. Especially unexpectedly, when everything in the house has gotten just a little to quiet.  Evil

Try this Smiley

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=girnJH7tvpM
Myk Luhv
Smiley Smile Associate

"...and I said, 'Oatmeal? Are you crazy?!'"

View Profile
« Reply #20 on: August 13, 2013, 12:10:41 PM »

I feel like Zappa is one of those people I should like -- and have tried to like -- but cannot get into. I think his work with the Mothers is probably my favourite but even that stuff I'm not hugely interested in. His solo stuff has some good stuff as well but even there it's few and far between for me. Maybe I should try again since the last time I bothered I was a teenager. I remember liking Freak Out! and We're Only In It For The Money, Hot Rats, some of Sheik Yerbouti and that's probably it. I like what Wilson and Alroy say about Zappa: "Much of the confusion arises because Zappa had at least six distinct musical personalities or facets: the Psychedelic Satirist, the Serious Avant-Garde Composer, the Fusion Bandleader, the Potty-Mouthed Reactionary, the History-Minded Obsessive and the Just Plain Rock And Roller. One personality usually dominates any given record, and the typical listener will love one or more facets, hate at least one, and be indifferent to the rest." Running with that, I'd say I prefer the Psychedelic Satirist, then Rock and Roller and History-Minded Obsessive. The rest I don't care about, and actively dislike his reactionary stuff.
alf wiedersehen
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #21 on: August 13, 2013, 01:36:23 PM »

I remember liking Freak Out! and We're Only In It For The Money...

If you like these albums, you may also like Absolutely Free. It's the oft-ignored album between those two mentioned, and it's pretty good too. There is one song that tends to be too repetitious and drags. But, that's really the only complaint I have about the album.

Also, the new reissue sticks both sides of a single in the album, where the "side" ends and before the other one begins.
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #22 on: August 13, 2013, 01:38:32 PM »

I remember liking Freak Out! and We're Only In It For The Money...

If you like these albums, you may also like Absolutely Free. It's the oft-ignored album between those two mentioned, and it's pretty good too. There is one song that tends to be too repetitious and drags. But, that's really the only complaint I have about the album.

Also, the new reissue sticks both sides of a single in the album, where the "side" ends and before the other one begins.

which could lead us into a whole maze of a topic: which Zappa issues/reissues, CDs to look for and what to avoid!!
Paulos
« Reply #23 on: August 13, 2013, 02:43:00 PM »

I likes me a bit of Zappa, should be going to see Zappa Plays Zappa later this year.
Niko
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #24 on: August 13, 2013, 08:12:05 PM »

Oh man! Where was this??

I saw them in Portland at the best venue I know - the Aladdin. Not a bad seat in the place, and the crown looooved them. They played the entire "One Size Fits All" album.

Here's their next 6 shows:
https://www.songkick.com/artists/593492-grandmothers-of-invention

gfx
Pages: [1] 2 Go Up Print 
gfx
Jump to:  
gfx