gfxgfx

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
logo

gfx gfx
gfx
681290 Posts in 27630 Topics by 4081 Members - Latest Member: zappi June 01, 2024, 04:18:36 AM
gfx*HomeHelpSearchCalendarLoginRegistergfx
gfxgfx
Pages: 1 ... 5 6 7 8 9 [10] 11 12 13 14 Go Down Print
Author Topic: All things Bruce Johnston  (Read 78594 times)
Niko
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #225 on: August 18, 2013, 09:33:39 AM »

Bruce is the best Beach Boys
1: He wears sweaters, and looks damn good in them
2: He covered Pipeline and improved on it http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qJZIQmiQETM Didn't know it was possible but Gosh Darn he did it.
3: His voice is like a child from a Disney movie, immediately endearing and overall lovable
4: Still tours - his hands are tired, but 50 years later he'll be damned if he can't adjust his mic and clap
5: Nice guy usually very friendly though sometimes threatens unruly fans with republican rants and pistol whippings
6: Met John and Paul in london great story played the Pet Sounds
7: Met Keith Moon too saw them fight great story
8: Backs Mike up when he tells the Back in the USSR song story great story
9: Can still sing, TWGMTR he sounds as good as ever
10: Gave me his email
11: Hates Obama because Obama gun take his muney
12: Always backed up Brian despite what bigmanMike said about Pet Sounds and SMiLE
13: Has a beautiful son
14: Likes to make arrangements of old songs different and uncomfortable case and point http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=W4m5SfdZ_n4 damnit bruce why are you so endearing
15: Fuels OldSurferDudes posts
16: Wrote the Greatest song of all time "I write the songs" (this should have been first)
17: Nice hair

. .  and not a single word about the shorts. Bruce Johnston is inexhaustible.

I dunno...thats like the most obvious post ever. In newly established languages, Johnston is the word for shorts.

Lowbacca
Smiley Smile Associate

please let me wonder

View Profile
« Reply #226 on: August 18, 2013, 09:36:48 AM »

Bruce is the best Beach Boys
1: He wears sweaters, and looks damn good in them
2: He covered Pipeline and improved on it http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qJZIQmiQETM Didn't know it was possible but Gosh Darn he did it.
3: His voice is like a child from a Disney movie, immediately endearing and overall lovable
4: Still tours - his hands are tired, but 50 years later he'll be damned if he can't adjust his mic and clap
5: Nice guy usually very friendly though sometimes threatens unruly fans with republican rants and pistol whippings
6: Met John and Paul in london great story played the Pet Sounds
7: Met Keith Moon too saw them fight great story
8: Backs Mike up when he tells the Back in the USSR song story great story
9: Can still sing, TWGMTR he sounds as good as ever
10: Gave me his email
11: Hates Obama because Obama gun take his muney
12: Always backed up Brian despite what bigmanMike said about Pet Sounds and SMiLE
13: Has a beautiful son
14: Likes to make arrangements of old songs different and uncomfortable case and point http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=W4m5SfdZ_n4 damnit bruce why are you so endearing
15: Fuels OldSurferDudes posts
16: Wrote the Greatest song of all time "I write the songs" (this should have been first)
17: Nice hair

. .  and not a single word about the shorts. Bruce Johnston is inexhaustible.

I dunno...thats like the most obvious post ever. In newly established languages, Johnston is the word for shorts.
Historical Shorts.

RubberSoul13
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #227 on: August 21, 2013, 07:15:48 PM »

Alright, I have a legit Bruce question that I can't seem to find an answer for anywhere!

We know he performed with Bruce & Terry/Rip Chords etc. pre-Beach Boys...then toured with the BBs from 65-72ish...did Bruce EVER tour or at least perform live at all while he was out of the beach boys in the 70's? I can't really imagine a Bruce Johnston concert...but there has to be more out there than just "Pipeline" and "Disney Girls" from the old grey whistle test...

any factual input?
SurfRiderHawaii
Smiley Smile Associate

Add Some Music to your day!

View Profile
« Reply #228 on: August 21, 2013, 08:29:02 PM »

Alright, I have a legit Bruce question that I can't seem to find an answer for anywhere!

We know he performed with Bruce & Terry/Rip Chords etc. pre-Beach Boys...then toured with the BBs from 65-72ish...did Bruce EVER tour or at least perform live at all while he was out of the beach boys in the 70's? I can't really imagine a Bruce Johnston concert...but there has to be more out there than just "Pipeline" and "Disney Girls" from the old grey whistle test...

any factual input?
Does this count?

http://m.youtube.com/watch?v=W4m5SfdZ_n4&desktop_uri=%2Fwatch%3Fv%3DW4m5SfdZ_n4

"Brian is The Beach Boys. He is the band. We're his f***ing messengers. He is all of it. Period. We're nothing. He's everything" - Dennis Wilson
Sheriff John Stone
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #229 on: August 21, 2013, 09:02:48 PM »

any factual input?

I haven't been following this thread closely so I don't know if this was mentioned, but...

I remember a long time ago, maybe 1976-77, and Bruce appeared on The Dinah Shore talk show. It's funny but I remember Bruce sitting there and conversing with Dinah, but I don't remember if he performed anything, maybe "Write The Songs"? He probably did, though.
RubberSoul13
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #230 on: August 21, 2013, 09:21:23 PM »

any factual input?
Does this count?

That's the old grey whistle test that I mentioned above...wonderful clip, thanks though!  Grin

Sheriff- that would be interesting to see!

It just seems a bit ironic that he left the beach boys with one of the reasons being the pursuit of a solo career, and even named his album "Going Public" yet...there seems to be zero public performances for support. LOL
Gertie J.
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #231 on: August 21, 2013, 09:24:18 PM »

haha, true dat.

dj, blogger, and hanger-on
alf wiedersehen
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #232 on: August 21, 2013, 10:00:54 PM »

any factual input?
Does this count?

That's a pretty good performance....
Is that Mike sleeping in the background?
Gertie J.
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #233 on: August 21, 2013, 10:05:36 PM »

nope, someone else forgot his damn name.

dj, blogger, and hanger-on
Eric Aniversario
Smiley Smile Associate

Keep the Summer Alive!

View Profile WWW
« Reply #234 on: August 21, 2013, 11:09:21 PM »

any factual input?
Does this count?

That's a pretty good performance....
Is that Mike sleeping in the background?
Grin
Gabo
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #235 on: August 21, 2013, 11:45:03 PM »

pretty stoopid performance BROOTH

he tried to make it all R&B like by adding in phrases.... sounds lame and forced
Niko
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #236 on: August 22, 2013, 04:34:47 AM »

pretty stoopid performance BROOTH

he tried to make it all R&B like by adding in phrases.... sounds lame and forced

I quite like it.

Pretty Funky
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #237 on: August 22, 2013, 05:04:17 AM »

Bruce injured? You be the judge!

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=15TvTkoEyLc

Razz

bringahorseinhere?
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #238 on: August 22, 2013, 05:26:33 AM »

not the first time Brucie has had trouble on the autograph front.......

what is with that?....

Rb
filledeplage
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #239 on: August 22, 2013, 05:43:23 AM »

not the first time Brucie has had trouble on the autograph front.......

what is with that?....
Rb
It is beyond me that some fans feel entitled to seek autographs while any high profile person, laden down with baggage, gets off a bus, train or plane.  They call it stalking.  It wasn't a meet and greet.  

And, I've seen Johnston and the other guys, be very generous with signing over my fandom years.  It says more about the person filming than about him or any of the guys.  Some people have no boundaries or situational ethics. No class.  
« Last Edit: August 22, 2013, 05:46:58 AM by filledeplage » Logged
bringahorseinhere?
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #240 on: August 22, 2013, 05:54:23 AM »

heya...

I understand if there were 2 thousand people standing around waiting for photos or autographs, but it seems to be only a dozen or so people

and only one or two actually wanting autographs....

it takes these guys 3 seconds to scribble something.......its not a lot for them to give away, considering fans spend hundreds to thousands of dollars

on them, supporting them by buying product and attending concerts......... I personally don't think its a big ask.......

Bruce could even give a BW 'cant be bothered' signature...... that's about 1 second of his time....

just my opinion there..

to think of it..... Mikie seems more open to photos and autographs, he should be the one acting like a galah, considering what everyone seems to say
about him....... Ive had a couple of experiences with Mike and Bruce........ and Mike far outweighs the other in terms of giving his time and gratitude...

RickB
« Last Edit: August 22, 2013, 05:56:27 AM by Rick Bartlett » Logged
RangeRoverA1
Smiley Smile Associate

I drink expired tea. wanna sip or spit?

View Profile
« Reply #241 on: August 22, 2013, 06:52:14 AM »

2RickB: I second your sentiment. It's not our business whether Bruce injured his hand or not, he still must sign autographs. It's not that difficult & takes only few seconds. As long as you don't have too complex signature with various decorations, of course. 

Short notice: the cat you see to the left is the best. Not counting your indoor cat who might have habit sitting at your left side when you post at SmileySmile.

Who is Lucille Ball & Vivian Vance Duet Fan Club CEO? Btw, such Club exists?

Zany zealous Zeddie eats broccoli at brunch break but doesn't do's & don't's due to duties.
bringahorseinhere?
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #242 on: August 22, 2013, 07:01:52 AM »

hi Range.....

its all a matter of opinion, regarding autographs....... I mean, some folks hound the artists just to make a quid on eBay or whatever...
but seriously?.... I don't think B.J. would really fit into that category..... Lennon, Elvis, Michael Jackson, may be a little different...

come to think, Brian is not the most public personality person when it comes to people.....

but I have met Brian 3 or 4 times, in airports, backstage.....between cars and venues, and he ALWAYS stopped to sign...

it must have been incredibly uncomfortable for him standing for 3 minutes putting up with chaotic fans wanting a scribble, but he did......

I like Bruce, and like his work with the BB's and his solo stuff, but that other part with the fans bugs me a little......

any big artist who spends some time with their fans, is a measure of the person....... I know sometimes we miss out on the opportunity, and they can't

sign for everybody.......but watching that bit of footage with Bruce and the couple of fans, was very disappointing to see....

Poor form Bruce.

RickB
filledeplage
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #243 on: August 22, 2013, 07:07:59 AM »

2RickB: I second your sentiment. It's not our business whether Bruce injured his hand or not, he still must sign autographs. It's not that difficult & takes only few seconds. As long as you don't have too complex signature with various decorations, of course. 

Well, I don't agree.  Many autograph hounds are predatory self-serving eBay dealers, looking to get a "thing of value" from someone who has no "duty" to provide it, and and see it sell it on eBay. Rock memorabilia is big business.  And the people in that work are slime, in my opinion, who get in the way of decent folks, who aren't looking to make a buck of a performer.  

Brian does autographs, for a price.  If you buy a cd or go to a special autograph event, and they've done plenty, he is at a table, not holding a garment bag, after getting off a bus. Try getting an autograph from Brian while he is getting off a bus.  Good luck with that.  Brian, rightfully has them "scheduled" and coordinated with a promotional event or mini concert.

Double standard time, again.
SMiLE Brian
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #244 on: August 22, 2013, 07:09:13 AM »

I don't think Bruce's signature has any value, the fans who want his are real BBs fans.

And production aside, I’d so much rather hear a 14 year old David Marks shred some guitar on Chug-a-lug than hear a 51 year old Mike Love sing about bangin some chick in a swimming pool.-rab2591
bringahorseinhere?
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #245 on: August 22, 2013, 07:18:32 AM »

actually, I have had autographs from Brian straight off the plane, and straight out of a rented vehicle........

im not arguing, im just saying, Brian is not as 'automated' as you may think...... perhaps it depends greatly on the venue's, time allocations, deadlines too..

and I can say, I never paid any price to get those incredible privileges........ perhaps I was one of the lucky one's who has had all positive experiences....

except for Bruce, who was arrogant and rude.......

RickB
filledeplage
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #246 on: August 22, 2013, 07:25:20 AM »

I don't think Bruce's signature has any value, the fans who want his are real BBs fans.
The value is not the issue.  It seems more the new phenomenon of ebayers who don't buy a ticket for a show, who aren't real fans and stalk a venue looking for autographs, to sell and make a profit, while sincere fans, don't get a chance.  A real fan would never sell a treasure like that.  It is a big industry.  Some other rock star had something very funny to say about that. I forget who.  Someone here must remember?

It is disgusting,  in my opinion.  

More often than not, he signs everything.  I saw Johnston and Love sign a bunch of stuff just last week, graciously, chatting with the fans. But, neither had garment bags.  
RangeRoverA1
Smiley Smile Associate

I drink expired tea. wanna sip or spit?

View Profile
« Reply #247 on: August 22, 2013, 07:36:36 AM »

actually, I have had autographs from Brian straight off the plane, and straight out of a rented vehicle........

im not arguing, im just saying, Brian is not as 'automated' as you may think...... perhaps it depends greatly on the venue's, time allocations, deadlines too..

and I can say, I never paid any price to get those incredible privileges........ perhaps I was one of the lucky one's who has had all positive experiences....

RickB
I agree with you regarding not "automated" Brian. He's not indeed. As for Bruce being rude & arrogant - well, it's not the 1st time when I read such meeting experiences on this board. I don't favor artists who show different attitude towards different people, i.e. if they like someone - they talk well & polite, but if they see the other one & don't like - then ignore them at best & show signs of bad mood. Whatever the criteria of selection is. I think that's totally unfair to treat people however they want.

Short notice: the cat you see to the left is the best. Not counting your indoor cat who might have habit sitting at your left side when you post at SmileySmile.

Who is Lucille Ball & Vivian Vance Duet Fan Club CEO? Btw, such Club exists?

Zany zealous Zeddie eats broccoli at brunch break but doesn't do's & don't's due to duties.
filledeplage
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #248 on: August 22, 2013, 07:37:09 AM »

Rick

(Quote)
Recently?

I never said Brian was automated, and wouldn't. He schedules these events, they are civilized and people each get a turn.

It was sort of a new thing and I noticed it first in around 2004, when he did bookstore signings for SMiLE.  

Mostly, it has been a function of being lucky and in the right place at the right time.  I've never seen any of the guys rude to any fan.

But I've seen some mighty rude eBayers, getting in their faces, and could be called assault. They wreck it for everyone.

RubberSoul13
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #249 on: August 22, 2013, 07:51:01 AM »

that whole thing looked pretty creepy to me...usually when they have a video running and a tripod and the whole nine yards, it's because they're filming for proof that it was real, to take the frame shots of him signing it, and post them on their eBay listing.....however, Bruce did give a pretty stupid diva-ish response...he could've just said sorry, I'm a little tied up...as it seems he was! I wouldn't ask for one if he had his luggage!
gfx
Pages: 1 ... 5 6 7 8 9 [10] 11 12 13 14 Go Up Print 
gfx
Jump to:  
gfx