gfxgfx

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
logo

gfx gfx
gfx
680849 Posts in 27616 Topics by 4067 Members - Latest Member: Dae Lims April 27, 2024, 06:57:35 PM
gfx*HomeHelpSearchCalendarLoginRegistergfx
gfxgfx
Pages: 1 ... 33 34 35 36 37 [38] 39 Go Down Print
Author Topic: Brian with Jeff Beck Fall Tour Dates  (Read 200767 times)
Dove Nested Towers
Smiley Smile Associate

Goodnight, Mrs. Calabash, wherever you are!

View Profile
« Reply #925 on: October 23, 2013, 09:54:59 PM »

I understood it to say that it would be filmed exclusively at the Riverside Theatre in Milwaukee at the last tour stop, unless I misinterpreted. Hope they're (esp. Brian) ON that night! He sings Here Today so well in the Greek Theatre clip, not a single off-key note. So in the moment & enjoying singing his timeless old song that he kept going right into the instr. break!
Except for his modern, more truncated phrasing, it sounds almost exactly like the record at 71, fantastic.
« Last Edit: October 24, 2013, 02:43:42 PM by mutedtrumpeterswan » Logged

"The police aren't there to create disorder,
they're there to preserve disorder!" -Mayor
Daly, Chicago 1968
Cyncie
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #926 on: October 24, 2013, 07:24:41 PM »

-Had a good laugh at the video of Jeff driving his classic cars that was played during one of his songs.  It seemed a bit cocky, "hey check out all the awesome cars I own (including the original little deuce coop from American Graffiti with the THX-138 plates apparently!?!) while I'm shredding on this guitar onstage, aren't I awesome!?"

But, didn't I read that  the Beach Boys link to California car culture provided a kind of connection between Jeff and Brian? Might explain why they're doing a car song together for the new album.

Interesting about the American Graffiti deuce.  Last I heard, a guy in San Francisco owned it and wasn't selling at any price.

Yes. I know these things. I go to car shows. :D

Guy named Rick Figari from San Francisco owns both the '32 Ford Coupe AND the '55 Chevy from American Graffiti. He use to take them to the Good Guys car shows - dunno if he still does. When the American Graffiti film was done, they tried to sell the '32 Ford and couldn’t even get the asking price of $1,500!

Yeah, that's the guy.  I read that when they started restoring it they found the original THX plate and the shifter knob under the floorboards where they had been stashed! Anyway, there are a lot of recreations of that car floating around. I'm just interested if Jeff got the owner to finally part with it, or if he's had a replica made. It's an iconic car, after all.

Well this answers my question:

http://www.jeffbeckofficial.com/news/jeff-beck-to-be-honored-by-the-peterson-automotive-museum

His passion for cars dates back to his youth, when he fell in love with American hot rods and rock and roll. His collection includes a replica of the 1932 Ford Deuce Coupe featured in the film, American Graffiti and a ’59 Corvette resto-mod.
Rocker
Smiley Smile Associate

"Too dumb for New York City, too ugly for L.A."

View Profile WWW
« Reply #927 on: October 25, 2013, 03:18:09 AM »

This boy should never be let go (again)!!

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=slpiUdXBgrs

a diseased bunch of mo'fos if there ever was one… their beauty is so awesome that listening to them at their best is like being in some vast dream cathedral decorated with a thousand gleaming American pop culture icons.

- Lester Bangs on The Beach Boys

PRO SHOT BEACH BOYS CONCERTS - LIST

To sum it up, they blew it, they blew it consistently, they continue to blow it, it is tragic and this pathological problem caused The Beach Boys' greatest music to be so underrated by the general public.

- Jack Rieley
TV Forces
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #928 on: October 25, 2013, 08:41:16 PM »

Just got back from the Detroit show.  It was great.  I've not been following the thread so I was surprised and disappointed that Scott sang "Sail On Sailor" instead of Brian and that Jeff sang "Wouldn't It Be Nice" instead of Al.. but the rest of the show was excellent.  Brian was relaxed and sounded SO good..  It's a shame he didn't have more lead vocals.   Also, you call it Brian Wilson and don't play any solo songs?  Ah.. anyways..

Their Hearts Were Full of Spring - Group
California Girls - Brian
Do It Again - Brian
Don't Worry Baby - Jeff
Then I Kissed Her - Al
Little Bird - Dave
Old Man River - Group
Cotton Fields - Al
Sail On Sailor - Scott
Darlin' - Darian
Marcella - Brian
Heroes and Villains - Brian
Pet Sounds
God Only Knows - Brian  (standing ovation)
Sloop John B - Al and Brian
Wouldn't It Be Nice - Jeff (Brian on bridge)
Help Me Rhonda - Al
I Get Around - Brian
Good Vibrations - Brian
Fun Fun Fun - Brian

With Jeff Beck..
Our Prayer
Child Is Father (outro)
Surf's Up

Encore..
Barbara Ann - Group
Surfin' USA - Brian
Danny Boy
« Last Edit: October 25, 2013, 08:46:41 PM by TV Forces » Logged
EgoHanger1966
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #929 on: October 25, 2013, 09:21:36 PM »

Hmm....I was under the impression Brian was singing SOS when Blondie wasn't present. Brian sang it at my show, anyway...

Hal Blaine:"You're gonna get a tomata all over yer puss!"
Brian: "Don't say puss."
TV Forces
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #930 on: October 25, 2013, 09:29:45 PM »

Hmm....I was under the impression Brian was singing SOS when Blondie wasn't present. Brian sang it at my show, anyway...

Yeah Scott sang it tonight..  REALLY hoping to hear Brian do it again, but it is what it is.
I've seen him live 4-5 times now and I still can't believe I was in the same room as The Man!
Niko
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #931 on: October 25, 2013, 09:31:29 PM »

VDP should make a guest appearance for SOS

Rocker
Smiley Smile Associate

"Too dumb for New York City, too ugly for L.A."

View Profile WWW
« Reply #932 on: October 26, 2013, 04:39:53 AM »

Brian was relaxed and sounded SO good..  It's a shame he didn't have more lead vocals.  

Just a guess, but maybe Brian wouldn't sound so good if he had more leads. I don't know of course but sharing the leads might be better. And also as was mentioned quite often, since the Beach Boys tour Brian seems to really love being in a band instead of just solo.

a diseased bunch of mo'fos if there ever was one… their beauty is so awesome that listening to them at their best is like being in some vast dream cathedral decorated with a thousand gleaming American pop culture icons.

- Lester Bangs on The Beach Boys

PRO SHOT BEACH BOYS CONCERTS - LIST

To sum it up, they blew it, they blew it consistently, they continue to blow it, it is tragic and this pathological problem caused The Beach Boys' greatest music to be so underrated by the general public.

- Jack Rieley
BB Universe
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #933 on: October 27, 2013, 08:34:08 AM »

A group of us went to the Toronto show Saturday night. Nice venue (Sony Centre) which looked sold out (couldn't see the balcony). Crowd seemed about 50/50 split as to there for Brian or beck. Regardless, it was an entertaining show. From my recollection, set list and performances were identical to that posted for the Detroit show, except they did play CAW and no Pet Sounds (IIRC).
We've seen Brian every time he's up in the Buffalo - Toronto area and this was, by far, the most relaxed he's been (maybe because he's not the entire show with Al and David there and leads passed around so less pressure to perform?). He looked like he was enjoying himself during their set and more "animated" (ie. "into it"); made introductory comments (not just a few words) to more of the songs than usual; and, as some here have suggested his voice seems better than it has been in 10+years of touring again, perhaps because he is performing more. Al's voice is just so solid and david did a great job on Little Bird. Darian, Scott, Jeff all did great on their leads as well.
While I'm more a vocals and harmonies person than instrumentals/solos etc., Jeff Beck was outstanding and his guitar on Surf's Up almost sounded as it was singing (in addition to the guys doing the BVs).
One observation - IMO there was less  crowd energy - maybe due to the mixed crowd - than at a usual BB/BW/M&B concert which usually wind up with the up tempo crowd pleasers that has everyone singing and grooving to the music. That's not to take anything away from last night's show which we enjoyed very much. 
Mayoman
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #934 on: October 27, 2013, 09:52:54 AM »

A group of us went to the Toronto show Saturday night. Nice venue (Sony Centre) which looked sold out (couldn't see the balcony). Crowd seemed about 50/50 split as to there for Brian or beck. Regardless, it was an entertaining show. From my recollection, set list and performances were identical to that posted for the Detroit show, except they did play CAW and no Pet Sounds (IIRC).
We've seen Brian every time he's up in the Buffalo - Toronto area and this was, by far, the most relaxed he's been (maybe because he's not the entire show with Al and David there and leads passed around so less pressure to perform?). He looked like he was enjoying himself during their set and more "animated" (ie. "into it"); made introductory comments (not just a few words) to more of the songs than usual; and, as some here have suggested his voice seems better than it has been in 10+years of touring again, perhaps because he is performing more. Al's voice is just so solid and david did a great job on Little Bird. Darian, Scott, Jeff all did great on their leads as well.
While I'm more a vocals and harmonies person than instrumentals/solos etc., Jeff Beck was outstanding and his guitar on Surf's Up almost sounded as it was singing (in addition to the guys doing the BVs).
One observation - IMO there was less  crowd energy - maybe due to the mixed crowd - than at a usual BB/BW/M&B concert which usually wind up with the up tempo crowd pleasers that has everyone singing and grooving to the music. That's not to take anything away from last night's show which we enjoyed very much. 
According to Setlist.fm, they did "Please Let Me Wonder" as well. Is this true?
leggo of my ego
Smiley Smile Associate

Beach Boys Stomp

View Profile
« Reply #935 on: October 27, 2013, 05:03:40 PM »

http://www.wmmr.com/music/news/story.aspx?ID=2064469

DVD being filmed. As usual, thanks Howie!
High Five w00t!  Rock!  Banana w00t! w00t!  Rock! Prayers Answered! w00t! w00t!  High Five  Banana

Hey Little Tomboy is creepy. Banging women by the pool is fun and conjures up warm summer thoughts a Beach Boys song should.

Necessity knows no law
A bootlegger knows no law
Therefore: A bootlegger is a necessity
BB Universe
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #936 on: October 27, 2013, 05:18:42 PM »

Yes, PLMW was also played in Toronto on Saturday night. Sorry about the omission and thanks for the correction!
Shady
Smiley Smile Associate

I had to fix a lot of things this morning

View Profile
« Reply #937 on: October 27, 2013, 06:42:34 PM »

The Jeff Beck tour was a nice idea but I'm looking forward to Brian returning to touring Solo or with The Beach Boys  Grin

According to someone who would know.

Seriously, there was a Beach Boys Love You condom?!  Amazing.
baseball95
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #938 on: October 27, 2013, 06:48:49 PM »

The Jeff Beck tour was a nice idea but I'm looking forward to Brian returning to touring Solo or with The Beach Boys  Grin

I 100% agree I wanna see a 40 song set with Blondie, Al and Dave all involved. That way we get more Blondie, Dave and Al!!!!
SurfRiderHawaii
Smiley Smile Associate

Add Some Music to your day!

View Profile
« Reply #939 on: October 27, 2013, 07:00:32 PM »

The legend of OSD lives on.

"Brian is The Beach Boys. He is the band. We're his f***ing messengers. He is all of it. Period. We're nothing. He's everything" - Dennis Wilson
lee
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #940 on: October 27, 2013, 07:31:51 PM »

I 100% agree I wanna see a 40 song set with Blondie, Al and Dave all involved. That way we get more Blondie, Dave and Al!!!!

This! It'd love to see a full show with Blondie, Dave and Al.
baseball95
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #941 on: October 27, 2013, 07:44:47 PM »

This! It'd love to see a full show with Blondie, Dave and Al.

They also need to just let Blondie stay up there no need to keep taking him on and off for certain songs.
Niko
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #942 on: October 27, 2013, 07:52:04 PM »

Why not get Ricky too?
HOW COOL WOULD THAT BE?

"David, Ricky, Alan, Blondie and Brian"

I want to to go see a DRABB show  Cool

What other Beach Boys associates could be added to the fold?
« Last Edit: October 27, 2013, 07:53:10 PM by Woodstock » Logged

Aum Bop Diddit
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #943 on: October 27, 2013, 08:57:59 PM »

Why not get Ricky too?
HOW COOL WOULD THAT BE?

"David, Ricky, Alan, Blondie and Brian"

I want to to go see a DRABB show  Cool

What other Beach Boys associates could be added to the fold?

Carol Kaye and Hal Blaine!

Hey!  Those are *MY* wind chimes!
Doo Dah
Smiley Smile Associate

One man's troll is another man's freedom fighter.

View Profile
« Reply #944 on: October 28, 2013, 12:27:17 AM »

Caught last night's show at the E.J. Thomas Hall - stunning. I was actually a little on the fence on attending, considering it was to be a long drive, but I'm glad I did.

It was only last July when we first saw this post C50 manifestation of Brian, Al and David, and I was fortunate to catch that show on a damp night in Pittsburgh. At the time I noticed that while the music lived and breathed with mostly Al and David acting the part of 'MC', Brian seemed a little distant, and a little off as the night wore on. Not tonight though - the man was in fine spirits and strong voice. Comparing tonight's set to opening night in Pittsburgh (pre Beck), the band just seemed tighter, the vocals spot on, etc. To be expected, but impressive still. Will make a fine DVD if it happens.

Full disclosure - I'm a song writing guy, I'm not a lead-guitar guy. I've never worshiped instrumentalists the way I admire songwriters and producers. Now when they compliment one another, that's different. That's when the magic hits the pot. Guitar wankerisms aside, the Beck set(s) actually worked - a nice contrast to the hits (albeit, deeper cut hits). As already mentioned, Prayer into Surf's Up with Beck's lead finally becomes Dumb Angel incarnate - here's your teenage symphony to God.

Set list pretty much mirrored Toronto and Detroit. Let's hope they can keep this combo going in the new year. A new album and a new Beck/Wilson tour in the UK would be very, very well received. You chaps are gonna dig this.

One more thing: I planned on simply picking up a cheap balcony seat and enjoying the show. No fuss, just a good night of music. I walk up to the counter, and the teller tells me:

"Sir...a gentlemen has returned his ticket to the box office. He can't use it, and he asked me to give it to someone who could. I'd like to give it to you. Congratulations - enjoy the show...for free!"

($75.00 seat Orchestra floor to the left of the sound man - exceptional sight lines and SOUND)

Yes...I saw tonight's show gratis. I'm Mr. Lucky. Later on tonight, I'll share with you tomorrow's Daily Number and the Pick-4.

AGD is gone.
AGD is gone.
Heigh ho the derry-o
AGD is gone
pmb
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #945 on: October 28, 2013, 10:54:47 AM »

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Ml_8XMU2ToA

Have to be careful what you say in case this is a board member - they were definitely enjoying the show, that's for sure!  LOL

Looks like You're So Good to Me was added for yesterdays show too http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=whXGqd9Yznk
baseball95
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #946 on: October 28, 2013, 12:45:14 PM »

Have to be careful what you say in case this is a board member - they were definitely enjoying the show, that's for sure!  LOL

Looks like You're So Good to Me was added for yesterdays show too http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=whXGqd9Yznk

Is Al doubling Brian on You're So Good To Me?
RubberSoul13
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #947 on: October 28, 2013, 01:23:40 PM »

I think he was in DC too!!
Pretty Funky
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #948 on: October 28, 2013, 01:49:05 PM »

Oldsurferdude in the flesh maybe! Grin
Amanda Hart
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #949 on: October 29, 2013, 07:27:52 AM »

Anyone going to the House of Blues tonight?

I teach a class literally across the street that ends at 6:45, so I may walk over and check out the pre-show scene. Can't make the actual show though, I have another show I have to go to. Even if I could be there, and even though it's for a good cause, I don't think I could part with $600 for a pair of tickets.
gfx
Pages: 1 ... 33 34 35 36 37 [38] 39 Go Up Print 
gfx
Jump to:  
gfx