gfxgfx

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
logo

gfx gfx
gfx
680739 Posts in 27613 Topics by 4068 Members - Latest Member: Dae Lims April 18, 2024, 03:50:18 AM
gfx*HomeHelpSearchCalendarLoginRegistergfx
gfxgfx
Pages: 1 ... 29 30 31 32 33 [34] 35 36 37 38 39 Go Down Print
Author Topic: Brian with Jeff Beck Fall Tour Dates  (Read 200179 times)
Awesoman
Smiley Smile Associate

Disagreements? Work 'em out.

View Profile WWW
« Reply #825 on: October 20, 2013, 12:25:32 PM »

It's hard to resist seeing Mr. Show!

Yeah Bob Odenkirk and David Cross were hilarious.

... wait, what?!

And if you don't know where you're going
Any road will take you there
ontor pertawst
Smiley Smile Associate

L♡VE ALWAYS WINS

View Profile WWW
« Reply #826 on: October 20, 2013, 12:27:54 PM »

ontor, have a good time!  Will you be sending in reports live from the show?  If not, try to get to it soon as you get home.

I am definitely not going to be posting here while watching the show, but definitely expect some gibberish afterwards!

Yeah Bob Odenkirk and David Cross were hilarious.

... wait, what?!

I'm responding to the post directly above it re: that comedy festival yesterday that Gohi opted for instead of the Greek. They performed there and Bob shook the crime stick most vigorously. It'd be a tough call for me as well choosing between the two, having missed out on the tapings back in the 90s.
« Last Edit: October 20, 2013, 10:58:16 PM by ontor pertawst » Logged
Niko
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #827 on: October 20, 2013, 12:33:15 PM »

Saw this on a youtube video
"When I see Brian Wilson perform live, or speak in interviews, I get the idea that he was made for nothing other than music. He has zero stage presence or charisma (but it's still amazing to watch him perform for the music alone), he's completely awkward and strange during interviews, but his music is completely confident and perfect. It's like god put so much musical talent into him there wasn't room for anything else."

Enjoy the show for everyone who won't be there

filledeplage
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #828 on: October 20, 2013, 12:53:48 PM »

"When I see Brian Wilson perform live, or speak in interviews, I get the idea that he was made for nothing other than music. He has zero stage presence or charisma (but it's still amazing to watch him perform for the music alone), he's completely awkward and strange during interviews, but his music is completely confident and perfect. It's like god put so much musical talent into him there wasn't room for anything else."

Spoken like someone who hasn't sat in the front row in front of Brian.  My observation after seeing him a bunch, is that Brian pays close attention to those who "know the words." He misses nothing.  It is a quiet charisma.  And, he does come out with some very funny stuff. During C50 Brian hollered out, at a show I saw, for people to stop firing beach balls at the stage.  They did.  He got the audience to do something that the security people couldn't. 

Rocker
Smiley Smile Associate

"Too dumb for New York City, too ugly for L.A."

View Profile WWW
« Reply #829 on: October 20, 2013, 01:56:27 PM »

Just saw that I missed the news of Brian, Al and David playing "'til I die":

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BN4QFDKgraU

a diseased bunch of mo'fos if there ever was one… their beauty is so awesome that listening to them at their best is like being in some vast dream cathedral decorated with a thousand gleaming American pop culture icons.

- Lester Bangs on The Beach Boys

PRO SHOT BEACH BOYS CONCERTS - LIST

To sum it up, they blew it, they blew it consistently, they continue to blow it, it is tragic and this pathological problem caused The Beach Boys' greatest music to be so underrated by the general public.

- Jack Rieley
Niko
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #830 on: October 20, 2013, 04:25:05 PM »

Spoken like someone who hasn't sat in the front row in front of Brian.  My observation after seeing him a bunch, is that Brian pays close attention to those who "know the words." He misses nothing.  It is a quiet charisma.  And, he does come out with some very funny stuff. During C50 Brian hollered out, at a show I saw, for people to stop firing beach balls at the stage.  They did.  He got the audience to do something that the security people couldn't. 

I just thought it was a nice sentiment
And no I haven't seen Brian from the front row before. I'm sure that's wonderful.

alf wiedersehen
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #831 on: October 20, 2013, 04:30:12 PM »

I'm going today, too.

I haven't read a whole lot of interviews lately.. any chance of new songs being played?
Shady
Smiley Smile Associate

I had to fix a lot of things this morning

View Profile
« Reply #832 on: October 20, 2013, 05:03:40 PM »

Truly envious of everyone going to the show tonight  Undecided

According to someone who would know.

Seriously, there was a Beach Boys Love You condom?!  Amazing.
baseball95
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #833 on: October 20, 2013, 08:52:37 PM »

Were there any suprises in Vegas set a couple of nights ago?
RubberSoul13
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #834 on: October 20, 2013, 09:01:06 PM »

Were there any suprises in Vegas set a couple of nights ago?

Nothing that hasn't been played on the tour thus far
SurfRiderHawaii
Smiley Smile Associate

Add Some Music to your day!

View Profile
« Reply #835 on: October 20, 2013, 10:55:45 PM »

Just saw that I missed the news of Brian, Al and David playing "'til I die":

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BN4QFDKgraU

Wow, sounds great! Sounds like....... the Beach Boys.

"Brian is The Beach Boys. He is the band. We're his f***ing messengers. He is all of it. Period. We're nothing. He's everything" - Dennis Wilson
seltaeb1012002
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #836 on: October 20, 2013, 10:59:16 PM »

Just listened to the CT show in its entirety. A few thoughts:

1) This show really packs a punch. The set list is well chosen, and gives a nice variety between singers.

2) Al sounds so freaking good. I was sorta floating between being conscious and unconscious as I listened.. I almost thought "Cottonfields" was the record.

3) Jeff is making more of an effort to sound Brian-ish on "Don't Worry Baby" lately. I noticed it a little bit @ C50. He sounds really good on this now.

That's it! Looking forward to hearing the Beacon show when it pops up...
KittyKat
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #837 on: October 20, 2013, 11:15:50 PM »

There's video on YouTube of an appearance Brian and part of his band made at a Darlene Love benefit in NYC last week. I found it slightly disconcerting that the two songs on a video are Jeff Foskett duetting with Darlene Love and not Brian. They're both falsetto songs, but still. They should have picked songs that Brian can actually sing. Brian looked so awkward seated right next to Darlene Love and trying to figure out where to sing when Jeff was sitting on the other side of him drowning him out.
seltaeb1012002
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #838 on: October 20, 2013, 11:26:32 PM »

There's video on YouTube of an appearance Brian and part of his band made at a Darlene Love benefit in NYC last week. I found it slightly disconcerting that the two songs on a video are Jeff Foskett duetting with Darlene Love and not Brian. They're both falsetto songs, but still. They should have picked songs that Brian can actually sing. Brian looked so awkward seated right next to Darlene Love and trying to figure out where to sing when Jeff was sitting on the other side of him drowning him out.

Got a link?
Justin
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #839 on: October 21, 2013, 01:04:39 AM »

What a great evening at the Greek Theater.  Pet Sounds was terrific even though I think the band could benefit from a few more rehearsals/performances of the full album.  Jeff had a shaky start on "Don't Talk..." Brian had a few issues settling on a melody and I remember one specific instance during "That's Not Me."  These were all minor things and considering they only had one full performance of it a week ago, they did an overall splendid job.  It finally hit home what I was actually witnessing by the time we got to "Here Today"...it was a flawless performance by everyone on stage.   

The Brian I saw tonight reminded me of the Brian I saw at the first Chicago show during the C50 tour...he was totally up, responsive to the music and really really focused.  He was very consistent with the other videos I've seen on this tour...he seems incredibly relaxed.  Being 71 seems to be agreeing very well with Brian.  He appears less on edge and more at home. 

Jeff Beck was phenomenal.  People really dug it and there seemed to have been an equal amount of Jeff Beck fans to Brian Wilson fans in attendance.  His set was very well received and I was mighty impressed it being the first time seeing him live. 

Overall, it was a night filled with amazing music.  A part of me wishes the Brian, Al, David, Blondie combo tours again.  Maybe because I didn't hear the rest of their full set that they play when they don't do "Pet Sounds" but a part me really wanted to hear more from the rest of them.  Al got his lead on "Help Me Rhonda" but we definitely could've used more.  Had Jeff Beck not been there, we could have gotten the full set in addition to the Pet Sounds performance.  I wish that was the case--but still happy Jeff Beck was there.  Another solution could have been they did two shows in LA so audiences could see the two different shows.  I wanted to hear "Cottonfields" and also "Little Bird."  But it's a tradeoff because we did get "pet Sounds" after all. 

During the intermission I heard a couple guys talking and one guy said to the other:  "I'd rather be at a Brian Wilson show than a Beach Boys show with Mike Love....I don't want to hear 'Kokomo' and all the other Mike Love songs.  You get the real thing here...."  I really really tried to not get up and correct the guy but I found it amusing nonetheless.

Some videos:

Wild Honey
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WQyXQb0jV3A&feature=youtu.be

That's Not Me
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DO4tKjg-TCc&feature=youtu.be

Caroline, No
http://youtu.be/eBls56N6CO0

Our Prayer/Surf's Up
http://youtu.be/17KWAjNB7Uw

You Still Believe In Me (sorry about the cut in the middle---security came around)
http://youtu.be/1LFfDwnzW5s

« Last Edit: October 21, 2013, 05:09:00 AM by Justin » Logged
The Heartical Don
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #840 on: October 21, 2013, 01:39:03 AM »

Thank you Justin, lovely stuff...

80% Of Success Is Showing Up
seltaeb1012002
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #841 on: October 21, 2013, 03:05:42 AM »

Holy Autotune, Batman!
SurfRiderHawaii
Smiley Smile Associate

Add Some Music to your day!

View Profile
« Reply #842 on: October 21, 2013, 03:31:22 AM »

Nice video Justin.  Blondie rocks Wild Hoeny!

Here is WH from the PA show.  Poor video but audio is good.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=eER3w2cLrb4

"Brian is The Beach Boys. He is the band. We're his f***ing messengers. He is all of it. Period. We're nothing. He's everything" - Dennis Wilson
feelsflow
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #843 on: October 21, 2013, 04:04:24 AM »

Thank you Justin, lovely stuff...
Up close, and Rockin' !  Looking forward to the rest.  Big Stones fan 'eh?  I'll go back and watch some more later, I'm on the hunt for more BAD right now.  I did take a moment to read your touching tribute to Mike.  Do you have that posted on the We Love Mike thread?  You should do...  You have a very good camera, and a steady hand.

...if you are honest - you have no idea where childhood ends and maturity begins.  It is all endless and all one.  ~ P.L. Travers        And, let's get this out of the way now, everything I post is my opinion.  ~ Will
feelsflow
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #844 on: October 21, 2013, 05:58:37 AM »

Holy Autotune, Batman!
Justin, see you are up early, working hard getting more clips up, thanks again.  That's Not Me was a little rough, But Caroline, No = Great vocal from both Brian and Jeff.  You Still Believe In Me - great, great, great, nice vocals from everybody.  You, Bubbly, and ontor, are lucky guys.  seltaeb, I was thinking, of all these clips we are seeing from the BAD tour, that they are not using live auto-tune.  You think they are, or that Brian needs that?  Hope I can soon hear the whole Beacon show.  Where did you find the CT show?  I tried to find what KittyKat was talking about, but all that seems to be is a two minute edit mash-up.  If they do record one of these for dvd, I hope they just let it run raw.  It was my biggest complaint about the C50 tour, not to mention the TWGMTR record.  Again, you did a great job Justin, and because you were so close, none of those pesky bathroom breaks folks moving in front of the camera.  I'm sure you all were just focus front, holding the edge of your seats.  Well, except you Justin...since you needed one hand to hold the camera.
« Last Edit: October 21, 2013, 06:27:15 AM by feelsflow » Logged

...if you are honest - you have no idea where childhood ends and maturity begins.  It is all endless and all one.  ~ P.L. Travers        And, let's get this out of the way now, everything I post is my opinion.  ~ Will
seltaeb1012002
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #845 on: October 21, 2013, 06:05:08 AM »

Holy Autotune, Batman!
seltaeb, I was thinking, of all these clips we are seeing from the BAD tour, that they are not using live auto-tune.  You think they are, or that Brian needs that?  Hope I can soon hear the whole Beacon show.  Where did you find the CT show?  I tried to find what KittyKat was talking about, but all that seems to be is a two minute edit mash-up.  If they do record one of these for dvd, I hope they just let it run raw.  It was my biggest complaint about the C50 tour, not to mention the TWGMTR record.

Oh yeah, "That's Not Me" sounds extremely wobbly. I'm thinking it's not only Autotune.. but Autotune set to the wrong key!

"I'm Waiting For The Day" sounded great. Wonder why they still feel the need to mangle this guys live vocals from time to time?

feelsflow
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #846 on: October 21, 2013, 06:33:29 AM »

While you were posting, I was adding edits.  I commented on That's not Me - Unless it's used heavy, it doesn't bother me.  If that is auto-tune on the others, I guess I just can't tell.  Where it really bothers me, is when it's set so high that I can no longer tell who's singing what.  You can read page after page of "name that vocal line" threads around here.  And that's not too hard with stuff pre- 2000, and I'm not talking about just TWGMTR, McCartney is drenching his vocals with it on record and live.  Makes me sound like my parents..."it all just sounds the same."  Judy Collins can still sing like a bird, so I know it's not all auto-tune.  I find a lot of my old very favorites, Crosby, Stills, Garfunkel, and many more are really talking their way through tracks, or recording them a word or phrase at a time.  Reminds me of what they did with the old Doors Live record.  Paul Simon is one of the few who can make that work.  But, I don't want to derail the thread going on.  I've stopped buying their records though, and it isn't just auto-tune at the bottom of it, in all cases.  They are old.  I would not trade in the times I got to watch Brian back in the 70/80's, when he wouldn't sing much, but boy did he sound great banging it out on a real grand piano with the Boys.  I do think that this current tour is the most inspired singing he's done in a while.  He is still a great show, for his age.  Whatever he is doing to make the DVDs sound so good vocal-wise - TLOS was a stand-out, hope he keeps putting those out.  This tour should be recorded and filmed.
« Last Edit: October 21, 2013, 07:45:14 AM by feelsflow » Logged

leggo of my ego
Smiley Smile Associate

Beach Boys Stomp

View Profile
« Reply #847 on: October 21, 2013, 06:52:57 AM »

Glad to hear the everyone that attended the Greek had a great time!

Anybody spot a pro-video crew shooting this? 

Justin Hayward saw that his last date will have a DVD release. What about Wilson?  Roll Eyes

Hey Little Tomboy is creepy. Banging women by the pool is fun and conjures up warm summer thoughts a Beach Boys song should.

Necessity knows no law
A bootlegger knows no law
Therefore: A bootlegger is a necessity
ontor pertawst
Smiley Smile Associate

L♡VE ALWAYS WINS

View Profile WWW
« Reply #848 on: October 21, 2013, 09:00:30 AM »

Lots of fun! Great review, Justin -- pretty much my take. Altho I'm ashamed to admit I nodded off for a minute during Beck's set. It drained all of my enthusiasm until "Our Prayer" hit. Parking was a a delicious nightmare!

Snagged some videos of "I Know There's An Answer" and a few others on two cameras, I'll muck about and upload 'em if they came out nice. Dodging security was entertaining.
Azmo
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #849 on: October 21, 2013, 09:17:09 AM »

While the Las Vegas show didn’t produce any new musical treats, it was a wonderful concert.  All the musicians seemed relaxed and having a blast.  My wife, a somewhat reluctant Brian fan, thought it was a top Brian show, right up there with the SMiLE show.  Brian seemed relaxed and his voice was mellow, but strong.  He seemed to be singing without the teleprompter quite a bit.  The show was relaxed and seemed like a family affair with family and friends in attendance.  They began with THEIR HEARTS WERE FULL OF SPRING and Brian dedicated the show to two of the Four Freshman who were present.  After CALIFORNIA GIRLS and DO IT AGAIN Brian let his comrades take the lead: Jeff on DON’T WORRY BABY, Al on COTTONFIELDS, David on LITLLE BIRD (with the great story of Dennis chopping down the tree David fell out of), and Blondie on SAIL ON SAILOR and an electrifying WILD HONEY (my personal high point).  After Darian sang DARLIN, Brian thanked “The great Darian Sahanaja, the great Jeff Foskett, and the great ME.”  HEROES AND VILLAINS was another show highlight. Al made a reference to “their” new Beach Boys box set and quickly made a correction as the lawyers were “running to their phones.”  Al also spit something out of his mouth right before an introduction and made a crack about his dentist in the audience. Brian later introduced Billy Hinche, along with Carl and Dennis’s ex-wives! The Jeff Beck set was amazing and SURF’S UP was another show highlight.  Beck added some fine guitar work to the encores of BARBARA ANN and SURFIN USA.  On SURFIN USA, Brian sang some of the SWEET LITTLE SIXTEEN cities!  All in all, one of our favorite Brian shows.
gfx
Pages: 1 ... 29 30 31 32 33 [34] 35 36 37 38 39 Go Up Print 
gfx
Jump to:  
gfx