gfxgfx

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
logo

gfx gfx
gfx
680855 Posts in 27617 Topics by 4067 Members - Latest Member: Dae Lims April 28, 2024, 03:57:40 PM
gfx*HomeHelpSearchCalendarLoginRegistergfx
gfxgfx
Pages: 1 ... 23 24 25 26 27 [28] 29 30 31 32 33 ... 39 Go Down Print
Author Topic: Brian with Jeff Beck Fall Tour Dates  (Read 200839 times)
donald
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #675 on: October 15, 2013, 07:00:04 PM »

Wow.  Pet Sounds?   One could see every show from this tour and be surprised every night!    a true sonic experiment on a par with a Grateful Dead Show! 
hypehat
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #676 on: October 15, 2013, 07:02:37 PM »

Don't be rude, Donald  Wink

If they did Pet Sounds live now that would be some historic sh*t. I demand evidence in the form of shaky youtube videos and I demand it NOW.

All roads lead to Kokomo. Exhaustive research in time travel has conclusively proven that there is no alternate universe WITHOUT Kokomo. It would've happened regardless.
What is this "life" thing you speak of ?

Quote from: Al Jardine
Syncopate it? In front of all these people?!
donald
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #677 on: October 15, 2013, 07:07:06 PM »

If they did Pet Sounds live now that would be some historic sh*t. I demand evidence in the form of shaky youtube videos and I demand it NOW.
Not rude.  that is high praise coming from me.   guest virtuosos and a change up set almost every night........
I think this tour is shaping up as legendary.
hypehat
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #678 on: October 15, 2013, 07:14:31 PM »

Was only joshing, as a non-Deadhead  Grin

All roads lead to Kokomo. Exhaustive research in time travel has conclusively proven that there is no alternate universe WITHOUT Kokomo. It would've happened regardless.
What is this "life" thing you speak of ?

Quote from: Al Jardine
Syncopate it? In front of all these people?!
ToneBender631
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #679 on: October 15, 2013, 08:22:43 PM »

Just left the show a little while ago - Pet Sounds in its entirety. Full info when my phone isn't about to die...Brian owned the stage tonight. Blew his Westbury performance away and that's saying something...
Justin
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #680 on: October 15, 2013, 08:25:38 PM »

That is fucking nuts!  All of "Pet Sounds"...so cool.

Can't wait to see videos!
ToneBender631
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #681 on: October 15, 2013, 08:35:00 PM »

If memory serves...

Hearts
California Girls
Sail On, Sailor (w/ Blondie)
Wild Honey (w/ Blondie)
Full Pet Sounds album
Good Vibrations
Help Me, Rhonda (w/ Blondie)
I Get Around (w/ Blondie)
Fun, Fun, Fun (w/ Blondie)

Brian was in great voice and an even better mood. Also, Blondie was introduced as a Beach Boy. I fully expect a headlining tour w/ these four next year.
Phoenix
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #682 on: October 15, 2013, 08:35:23 PM »

Where were ya when Blondie was singing SOS, Don?  Takin' a wis?

Waiting for a clip with Blondie singing Wild Honey.....
If Blondie was there I must have been out to lunch. I didn't leave to take a wis.    Warner Theater show, DC.

Blondie wasn't at DC (as Donald knows).  I'm in Baltimore and that's why I went to the Philly show.
« Last Edit: October 15, 2013, 08:36:15 PM by Phoenix » Logged
EgoHanger1966
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #683 on: October 15, 2013, 08:37:34 PM »

If memory serves...

Hearts
California Girls
Wild Honey (w/ Blondie)
Full Pet Sounds album
Good Vibrations

Brian was in great voice and an even better mood. Also, Blondie was introduced as a Beach Boy. I fully expect a headlining tour w/ these four next year.

This is insanity!!! Unbelievable. I can't imagine actually being there for that. Who announced that they were going to play the full album? Did Brian take Mike's leads on That's Not Me and Here Today?

Hal Blaine:"You're gonna get a tomata all over yer puss!"
Brian: "Don't say puss."
Shady
Smiley Smile Associate

I had to fix a lot of things this morning

View Profile
« Reply #684 on: October 15, 2013, 08:38:52 PM »

If memory serves...

Hearts
California Girls
Wild Honey (w/ Blondie)
Full Pet Sounds album
Good Vibrations

WOW!!!

I've seen that show a few times in my dreams

According to someone who would know.

Seriously, there was a Beach Boys Love You condom?!  Amazing.
ToneBender631
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #685 on: October 15, 2013, 08:41:36 PM »

If memory serves...

Hearts
California Girls
Wild Honey (w/ Blondie)
Full Pet Sounds album
Good Vibrations

This is insanity!!! Unbelievable. I can't imagine actually being there for that. Who announced that they were going to play the full album? Did Brian take Mike's leads on That's Not Me and Here Today?

They did Wouldn't It Be Nice and then Al got on the mic and said, "What do ya say Bri, wanna do the full Pet Sounds album?" and they teased it a bit and then Brian announced it. Jeff did Don't Talk and Wibn, with Brian handling the rest of the leads, Al occasionally doubling. Brian even did a bit of falsetto!!!
slickman9696
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #686 on: October 15, 2013, 08:43:33 PM »

Your memory serves you wonderfully. Yea, I was so happy to see Blondie on so many songs, and he killed the two he had leads on. As awesome as Jeff Beck was, I really do hope they do what you say and do a full on tour next year. I would love to have had a chance to hear all of Pet Sounds AND the other songs that were on the set list before. Hear David sing some leads and a couple more Jardine tracks. I suppose they will have to tour to support the new album whenever it's released.

Either way, very happy with tonight's show. Goosebumps when Pet Sounds was all finished, cool to hear Blondie introduced as a Beach Boy, and the way they had them set up all up front, very reminiscent of the 50 tour, and cool to see the main guys featured up front. I'll load that video up soon. I will let you know now, I had seats in the balcony, so not a good view, but you can at least hear it.
Mikie
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #687 on: October 15, 2013, 08:45:13 PM »

If memory serves...

Hearts
California Girls
Wild Honey (w/ Blondie)
Full Pet Sounds album
Good Vibrations

Damn.  You serious?  The day they play in Oakland next week is my wedding anniversary, so I was going to pass on going.

Now I think I gotta make this.  Somehow.......

I, I love the colorful clothes she wears, and she's already working on my brain. I only looked in her eyes, but I picked up something I just can't explain. I, I bet I know what she’s like, and I can feel how right she’d be for me. It’s weird how she comes in so strong, and I wonder what she’s picking up from me. I hope it’s good, good, good, good vibrations, yeah!!
Jesse Reiswig
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #688 on: October 15, 2013, 08:49:46 PM »

Brian was really great tonight at the Beacon. He was in wonderful voice, occasionally sounding just like his young self. As others have said, Pet Sounds was performed in its entirety. The setlist (I took notes):

Their Hearts Were Full of Spring
California Girls
Sail on Sailor (Blondie)
Wild Honey (Blondie)
Wouldn't It Be Nice (Foskett and maybe Al on some lines--hard to tell from my seat)

Foskett turns to Brian and says, "Brian, you wanna do it?" Brian suddenly, "We're gonna do the entire Pet Sounds album, staring with "You Still Believe in Me"

You Still Believe in Me
That's Not Me
Don't Talk (Foskett)
I'm Waiting for the Day
Let's Go Away for Awhile
Sloop John B. (Al featured on first chorus)
God Only Knows
I Know There's an Answer (Brian and Al singing in unison)
Here Today
I Just Wasn't Made for these Times
Pet Sounds
Caroline, No (Foskett on the high notes)

Good Vibrations
Help Me, Rhonda (Blondie comes back out on stage to sing backgrounds and play guitar)
I Get Around
Fun, Fun, Fun

Jeff's set

Tandem set:

Our Prayer
Brief Child is Father of the Man Intro–Surf's Up
Goodbye Pork Pie Hat (intro)–Unknown to me
a Les Paul song with Lizzie Ball on lead vocal, Jeff Foskett and a couple others on b vocals)
Rollin' and Tumblin' (with Darian, Blondie, Jeff, and Scott Bennett on wordless vocals)
A Day in the Life
Barbara Ann
Surfin' USA
Danny Boy

Again, Brian sounded great. Moreover, he was in control of his actions and choices. With a couple of minor exceptions (a couple bold vocal choices where he was actually IMPROVISING a vocal and he got off pitch or a little blasty) his vocals were right on, even beautiful. His best vocal all night might have been I'm Waiting for the Day, but Here Today and Caroline, No and a number of others were also wonderful. The only relatively weak performance was I Just Wasn't Made for These Times, where Brian couldn't reach the notes and even the band seemed less confident than usual (plus the incredible bassline was nowhere to be found).

I wouldn't say Brian came off as the absolute leader of the band, but he was the center, and I've never seen that from him before.

Wild Honey was an undoubted highlight, though I was less impressed by Blondie's current take on Sail on, Sailor.

The only thing I'm sad about is the dropping of the rest of the set, no Little Bird, no Cottonfields, no Till I Die. I cry inside. Although to get to see a surprise performance of Pet Sounds is certainly worth it. Dave Marks certainly got shafted. The only song where he was prominent at all was "Pet Sounds."

I can't tell you enough how moving it was to see Brian doing so well. Even his stilted between-song banter came off as funny and eccentric rather than sad and damaged like it often does. I really hope he continues to feel good and in charge of his life. Thank you for all the beautiful music you've brought to us, BW. You've saved my life a hundred times.
« Last Edit: October 15, 2013, 08:57:49 PM by Jesse Reiswig » Logged
slickman9696
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #689 on: October 15, 2013, 08:50:23 PM »

You absolutely must. I've watched most of the YouTube videos that have been posted, and they honestly are not doing the show justice. Some people were saying Jeff's mic was too loud on Hearts, but when they did it tonight the blend sounded great (couple spots where Jardine popped out, but not anything that ruined the song), and every major harmony moment was majestic. The vocal chord at the end of Surf's Up was worth admission alone. And who knows, you might super luck out and see him do all of Love You.
Mikie
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #690 on: October 15, 2013, 09:08:35 PM »

Good post, Jesse.

I, I love the colorful clothes she wears, and she's already working on my brain. I only looked in her eyes, but I picked up something I just can't explain. I, I bet I know what she’s like, and I can feel how right she’d be for me. It’s weird how she comes in so strong, and I wonder what she’s picking up from me. I hope it’s good, good, good, good vibrations, yeah!!
Phoenix
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #691 on: October 15, 2013, 09:13:23 PM »

Sounds like an amazing show!
Shady
Smiley Smile Associate

I had to fix a lot of things this morning

View Profile
« Reply #692 on: October 15, 2013, 09:14:44 PM »

Thanks for that report Jesse, all reviews are highlighting how Brian seems to be in high spirits on this tour, truly great to hear. Shame you missed out on Cotton Fields, Al totally kills on that one. Hope you caught it at the 50th

According to someone who would know.

Seriously, there was a Beach Boys Love You condom?!  Amazing.
Aum Bop Diddit
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #693 on: October 15, 2013, 09:53:02 PM »

Just got back from the Beacon too -- yes  "Pet Sounds", big surprise!  This is the 7th time I've seen Brian, and it's just a treasure to hear these incredible musicians and singers and how they bring the music of the Beach Boys and Brian Wilson to live glory.  I did miss Taylor Mills (it's cool Jeff Beck has women in the band -- not just an eye candy but an energy thing) but the performances were extraordinary.  The rhythm section seemed tighter than I ever recall.  And yes Brian seemed very relaxed as did his vocals -- less strained than in previous years.  It seems he has found a good comfort zone at last.  His "Mike" leads are really right on.  And yes I caught the improvisations!

I will say for me it is a pretty schizoid evening -- not necessarily a bad thing!  Like others have said the enthusiasm for the two headliners is pretty much split -- but obviously many fans of one appreciate the other.  And I give Beck a lot of credit -- he takes nothing from his back catalogue.  And I would have loved to have heard stuff from the Jeff Beck Group era.  And he is at the top of his game and his band are stellar chops-wise.  And the crowd was really into him.  But...the fusion rock thing went on a bit for me.  A little goes a long way.  But man the guy can play.

At the end of Beck's set it got a little strange -- Foskett, Blondie, Scott, and Darian came out for Beck doing "Rollin' and Tumbln'" and did some very cool, primitive vocalizations.  In there too some Les Paul, "How High the Moon" -- very interesting stuff.  It seems like they are having fun finding creative ways to collaborate.

Gotta say though the highlight for me was "Wild Honey."  Blondie was a lot of fun up there throughout -- he brings a lot of energy.  But the band nailed "Wild Honey." They took that '73 Concert feel with the grooving multi-percussion and cleaned it up.  And Blondie really delivered, even holding his arms out and giving it a little "church."  "Sailor" was great too -- my only complaint is that I feel this card was played too early and would have really brought down the house after "Pet Sounds" before the hits segment.  "Help Me Rhonda" was the highlight for me there -- Al sounds fantastic.  Agree Dave got gypped a bit tonight but he seemed pleased to be there.

Funniest moment -- Al on guitar facing and "jamming" with Jeff Beck on "Barbara Ann!"

Hey!  Those are *MY* wind chimes!
Jonathan Blum
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #694 on: October 15, 2013, 10:01:50 PM »

...Bloody hell.  I thought DC was amazing enough, even though Brian wasn't exactly center stage.  But Brian in his current shape, doing Pet Sounds?  That's awe-inspiring.

Ten years ago, pre-Smile, when we saw the Pet Sounds tour... it was lovely, but Brian was still a deer in headlights.  If you told me then everything that was to come, and that in 2013 a more confident and relaxed Brian would be playing this album again alongside Al, David, Blondie, and Jeff Beck...  my head would just have melted!

Cheers,
Jon Blum
Phoenix
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #695 on: October 15, 2013, 10:28:54 PM »

At the end of Beck's set it got a little strange -- Foskett, Blondie, Scott, and Darian came out for Beck doing "Rollin' and Tumbln'" and did some very cool, primitive vocalizations. 

That's awesome!  Blondie wasn't out for any of Beck's set when I saw them.  I take it he wasn't onstage for the other stuff ("Our Prayer", 'surf's Up", etc.)?
Rocky Raccoon
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #696 on: October 15, 2013, 10:51:59 PM »

While I understand the dislike some have for "Barbara Ann" (the recording itself is a joke, its being a hit was a fluke), I don't see how you can't enjoy the way Brian and his band play it live.  I think it's so much fun.

Jesse Reiswig
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #697 on: October 15, 2013, 11:06:48 PM »

At the end of Beck's set it got a little strange -- Foskett, Blondie, Scott, and Darian came out for Beck doing "Rollin' and Tumbln'" and did some very cool, primitive vocalizations. 

That's awesome!  Blondie wasn't out for any of Beck's set when I saw them.  I take it he wasn't onstage for the other stuff ("Our Prayer", 'surf's Up", etc.)?

Blondie came out for Rollin' and Tumblin' and stayed out for the rest of the show.
Phoenix
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #698 on: October 15, 2013, 11:33:34 PM »

Blondie came out for Rollin' and Tumblin' and stayed out for the rest of the show.

AWESOME!  What's funny is when I saw them, he came out for his two spotlight songs.  He sang and played guitar on both "Sail On Sailor" and Wild Honey".  Then he said his goodbye.  The band played the rest of the set up to "Help Me, Rhonda".  During that, he came back out and played the tambourine and sang backups on it and "I Get Around".  Then he left the stage again before "Good Vibrations" but came back out AGAIN and did the tambourine/backups on "Fun, Fun, Fun".  I thought him skipping out for the one song was strange.

Anyway, Beck comes out and does his whole show, pretty much just like it was described tonight but with no sign of Blondie. 

For the encores, Jeff F introduced all the players, one by one, ending with in order: Dave, Al, Blondie (as a special guest), and finally, "Brian Wilson and Jeff Beck" together.  Again, Blondie played tambourine and did backups.  Unlike tonight, he only played guitar on the two songs he sang lead on.  Although introduced with everyone else, Beck's bass player didn't play on "Barbara Ann" and "Surfin' USA"; just Bob.  For "Danny Boy", Bob turned the bass over to her and he left the stage...with Blondie.  After that, Bob and Blondie both returned for the final bow.  Like I said, I thought it was strange and if nothing else, I'm glad to hear he was both on stage and playing some guitar more than he was on Saturday.  Did you notice if he was on stage for "Good Vibrations" and/or "Danny Boy" tonight?

Also, correct me if I'm wrong but I think Brian's set list has been at least a little different, every night on this tour.
Ed Roach
Honored Guest

View Profile
« Reply #699 on: October 15, 2013, 11:36:37 PM »

Just got back from the Beacon too -- yes  "Pet Sounds", big surprise!

I will say for me it is a pretty schizoid evening -- not necessarily a bad thing!

Gotta say though the highlight for me was "Wild Honey."  Blondie was a lot of fun up there throughout -- he brings a lot of energy.  But the band nailed "Wild Honey." They took that '73 Concert feel with the grooving multi-percussion and cleaned it up.  And Blondie really delivered, even holding his arms out and giving it a little "church."  "Sailor" was great too -- my only complaint is that I feel this card was played too early and would have really brought down the house after "Pet Sounds" before the hits segment. 

Funniest moment -- Al on guitar facing and "jamming" with Jeff Beck on "Barbara Ann!"

Right off I'll apologize for editing & hi-lighting the above quote; didn't mean to change the posters intent, but rather to highlight why Blondie is THERE {HERE}, back with The Boys after all of these years....  There was a lot more than waves that caused Blondie to be in a position to absolutely nail the lead on Sail On Sailor, and he was/is such a natural for Wild Honey - Carl knew it right off: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xdY8Gto8F-w   I'm just so ecstatic to see him get a chance to show people now what The Wilsons saw in every Flamealmost 45 years ago, and what a lot of us experienced in those great 70's concerts, and also what we've still gotten to experience from both Blondie & Ricky, with Danko & Butterfield, Jagger & Richards, and most 'specially with Bonnie Raitt!

God bless each & every one of you survivors; look forward to seeing you Sunday at The Greek
gfx
Pages: 1 ... 23 24 25 26 27 [28] 29 30 31 32 33 ... 39 Go Up Print 
gfx
Jump to:  
gfx