gfxgfx

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
logo

gfx gfx
gfx
680853 Posts in 27617 Topics by 4067 Members - Latest Member: Dae Lims April 28, 2024, 05:23:56 AM
gfx*HomeHelpSearchCalendarLoginRegistergfx
gfxgfx
Pages: 1 ... 5 6 7 8 9 [10] 11 12 13 14 15 ... 39 Go Down Print
Author Topic: Brian with Jeff Beck Fall Tour Dates  (Read 200798 times)
Niko
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #225 on: September 28, 2013, 08:44:18 PM »

The ideal Brian Wilson show for me would cover all the bases. Seeing a mostly hits playlist is fine, and I'd go see it...but I'd want even more to see a whole-career kind of setlist. Marcella, Let's Put Our Hearts Together, Leaving This Town...f***, imagine if he played You're Still a Mystery.

Regardless of my preferences towards what he plays, I'd love to see Brian. Just being in the presence of the guy is enough for me.

Gabo
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #226 on: September 28, 2013, 08:46:40 PM »

Why would he play Leaving This Town? That isn't a Brian song
Niko
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #227 on: September 28, 2013, 08:49:07 PM »

Why would he play Leaving This Town? That isn't a Brian song

Yeah, but Blondie is there and it seems like a shame to give him only one lead. His voice is still so strong

Robbie Mac
Smiley Smile Associate

Carl Wilson is not amused.

View Profile
« Reply #228 on: September 28, 2013, 09:04:14 PM »

Each of the bands plays the hits. That's what Brian has done since he started touring. They go over well with the audiences, which is why they are played. No, Brian doesn't sound like Mike. Fine. He's still sung these songs live for the last 14 years, and folks have generally been pleased.

It flummoxes me that this thread has been taken over by people who clearly have no interest in watching Brian Wilson play live, and who in fact feel as though he shouldn't. If you're so unmoved and unhappy about it, please go and enjoy Mike's dozens of dates at local high school gymnasiums across America's heartland.

Right now, I'm wondering since when this board has been taken over by the Blueboard, or the Blueboard mentality. I've seen Brian. I am a fan. I don't think he's God and I definitely don't think the people running his career are geniuses. Jesus, since when has it been if you don't like something Brian has done, or have doubts about it, or think he's not as good as he used to be, or doesn't seem like he's enthusiastic about what he's doing, that makes one a Mike Love fan? Besides which, since when has Mike played high school gyms? He hasn't. I've never seen Mike, BTW.

Clay Wirestone never subscribed to Blueboard mentality in the decade and a half + that he has been posting on Beach Boys forums. He knows what he speaks of. 

The world could come together as one
If everybody under the sun
Adds some 🎼 to your day
Jim V.
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #229 on: September 28, 2013, 09:43:00 PM »

Each of the bands plays the hits. That's what Brian has done since he started touring. They go over well with the audiences, which is why they are played. No, Brian doesn't sound like Mike. Fine. He's still sung these songs live for the last 14 years, and folks have generally been pleased.

It flummoxes me that this thread has been taken over by people who clearly have no interest in watching Brian Wilson play live, and who in fact feel as though he shouldn't. If you're so unmoved and unhappy about it, please go and enjoy Mike's dozens of dates at local high school gymnasiums across America's heartland.

Right now, I'm wondering since when this board has been taken over by the Blueboard, or the Blueboard mentality. I've seen Brian. I am a fan. I don't think he's God and I definitely don't think the people running his career are geniuses. Jesus, since when has it been if you don't like something Brian has done, or have doubts about it, or think he's not as good as he used to be, or doesn't seem like he's enthusiastic about what he's doing, that makes one a Mike Love fan? Besides which, since when has Mike played high school gyms? He hasn't. I've never seen Mike, BTW.

Clay Wirestone never subscribed to Blueboard mentality in the decade and a half + that he has been posting on Beach Boys forums. He knows what he speaks of. 

Agreed. I'm not being a kissass, but I always look forward to a Wirestone post.
ontor pertawst
Smiley Smile Associate

L♡VE ALWAYS WINS

View Profile WWW
« Reply #230 on: September 28, 2013, 09:48:34 PM »

Just this so far:

http://tbo.com/events/legend-brian-wilson-guitarist-jeff-beck-play-clearwater-20130928/

"The highlight was a four-song suite from the 1967 landmark album Pet Sounds"

Ah, setlist up setlist.fm:

California Girls
Do It Again
Shut Down
Little Deuce Coupe
Surfer Girl
Then I Kissed Her
Little Bird
Old Man River/Cottonfields
That's Why God Made The Radio
Sail On, Sailor
Heroes and Villains
Darlin'
Marcella
Pet Sounds
God Only Knows
Wouldn't It Be Nice
Sloop John B
Help Me, Rhonda
I Get Around
Good Vibrations
Unknown (Jeff Beck)
Unknown (Jeff Beck)
Unknown (Jeff Beck)
Little Wing
Unknown (Jeff Beck)
Surf's Up (Jeff Beck and Brian Wilson)
Goodbye Pork Pie Hat
How High the Moon
Unknown (Jeff Beck)
A Day in the Life
Do You Wanna Dance?
Surfin' U.S.A.
Fun, Fun, Fun
Encore:
Danny Boy (Jeff Beck and Brian Wilson group)

Little Bird / Pet Sounds / Marcella back! Woohoo. No In My Room. Summertime Blues has evaporated as well, but I'll definitely take Little Bird over that any day.

Can it be that there's no Barbara Ann!?!?! Gasp.

Goodbye Pork Pie Hat? Neat! I wonder what they'll be playing together by next weekend.

This just in. Lester Young is playing what he's feeling.
« Last Edit: September 28, 2013, 10:19:49 PM by ontor pertawst » Logged
Niko
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #231 on: September 28, 2013, 09:55:03 PM »

I figured Hi Ho Silver Lining would be in there too, the BW band would nail it.

ontor pertawst
Smiley Smile Associate

L♡VE ALWAYS WINS

View Profile WWW
« Reply #232 on: September 28, 2013, 10:03:45 PM »

Danny Boy time:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mhtG3xBB6KI

I guess that's our first taste of the "mellow" sounds they are making together for the album! Not bad. I want to hear those harmonies better, tho. Roll on, west coast leg of the tour!

Fire up Metropolis. And get Beck makin' noise on some more car songs like Custom Machine!
« Last Edit: September 28, 2013, 10:15:53 PM by ontor pertawst » Logged
Rocky Raccoon
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #233 on: September 28, 2013, 10:10:39 PM »

"Goodbye Pork Pie Hat," a tribute to the ending of Breaking Bad?  Grin

Andrew G. Doe
Smiley Smile Associate

The triumph of The Hickey Script !

View Profile WWW
« Reply #234 on: September 28, 2013, 11:04:44 PM »

As has probably been said many times, the concept of this tour is hard to understand.  

Tickets $$$$$$$ Tickets $$$$$$$ Tickets $$$$$$$

Does anybody find it a bit odd to invite David Marks along, essentially to feature his guitar playing (although I can think of another reason), and then trump that/him by inviting Jeff Beck to share the bill. Yes, I am aware they do separate sets, but when David and Jeff Beck are on stage together, it seems a little, I don't know, like it's putting David into the background, in the shadows, wasting his talent. Come on Al, say something about that. David was the heart and soul of those early songs.

How about we fire up those hot rods one more time.... I assume Brian sang lead on "I Get Around"; did he also sing the lead on "Little Deuce Coupe", and "Shut Down"? My kind of people, the car people!

Al took the leads on coupe & shut down...but they sound so ridiculous with a giant band. Mike's band..."blows em out of the water" when it  comes to these tracks...

And I don't think David Marks is getting shoved aside. The only songs that Beck plays on that Marks recorded is Surfin' USA & Fun Fun Fun.

David wasn't on "FFF", unless the AFM sheet is inaccurate... and yes, Brian has done both "LDC" and "SD" live. Seen it. Thinking on it, this may be one of the biggest BB myths of recent times, that Brian only ever plays deep cuts or whole albums, and M&B only ever play the hits.
« Last Edit: September 28, 2013, 11:08:27 PM by A. Grayham Doe » Logged

The four sweetest words in my vocabulary: "This poster is ignored".
ontor pertawst
Smiley Smile Associate

L♡VE ALWAYS WINS

View Profile WWW
« Reply #235 on: September 28, 2013, 11:15:18 PM »

Appropos of nothing -- Recent Beck interview, dunno if it's been posted:
http://www.tampabay.com/things-to-do/music/jeff-beck-humble-guitar-god/2143386

"This is a dangerous one for me," he says.

He's fretting about his upcoming, and altogether unique, tour with Brian Wilson, which stops at Ruth Eckerd Hall in Clearwater on Saturday. That intricate Beach Boys SoCal pop — especially the avant-garde Pet Sounds — presents a challenge. It's so pristine, so ... perfect.

"There's no way you can escape when someone's off," he says during a rather enlightening phone call from his home in England. "I screw up just like anyone else."
« Last Edit: September 29, 2013, 12:35:41 AM by ontor pertawst » Logged
TommyPlural
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #236 on: September 28, 2013, 11:16:52 PM »

Besides which, since when has Mike played high school gyms? He hasn't. I've never seen Mike, BTW.

I'm definitely not looking to enter this discussion, but I did want to point out that the first time I saw the Mike and Bruce band play was in a high school gymnasium in 2004.
ontor pertawst
Smiley Smile Associate

L♡VE ALWAYS WINS

View Profile WWW
« Reply #237 on: September 28, 2013, 11:21:40 PM »

While googling around for any reports I cracked up at this weiiiiiird thing:
http://www.flnewsfeed.com/hollywood/brian-wilson-jeff-beck-david-marks-and-al-jardine-debut-tour-at-south/

It looks like a retranslation of that other tour review in and out of Korean or something! What gibberish! Historical-ish gibberish at that:

The weight of luminosity has damaged many a genius. Of a uneasy and prominent people to impact a strain world, Brian Wilson’s career has supposing what is yet doubt one of a many captivating, and eventually unhappy stories, to beauty a annals of strain history. The Beach Boys’ leader seer of combination has weathered a abuses of a recording industry, a sinful intentions of what had been a devoted middle circle, and his possess mental instability over a march of a career that has yielded inarguably some of the many critical strain ever created.

Wilson, now 71, spent 2012 holding partial in what was a many authentic reunion of a strange Beach Boys given his initial depart from a organisation and it seemed a chasmic difference that had been caused by Mike Love’s good documented transgressions opposite tellurian goodness had been forgiven by cousin Brian. The reunion saw a recover of a new record — a great record, during that — yet finished with Love unceremoniously banishment Wilson, Al Jardine, and David Marks with a press recover and going on to take his possess chronicle of “The Beach Boys” on tour, instead. Wilson’s statements during a time indicated that he was blindsided by Love’s decision, and for an haphazard particular with a story such as Wilson’s, a conditions hold a intensity to be inauspicious over a black sacking of a correct Beach Boys.

Not weird enough for you?

Eat this:

Following Wilson’s exodus, Beck and his rope seemed hidden in dark and a cloud of records signaled a start of “Eternity’s Breath”. The initial opening done transparent that a assembly was uniformly divided between whom they had come to see, with a sea of dungeon phone screens capturing a guitar masterclass Beck was giving. Beck frequency commits to a rope for prolonged and this uncover noted a introduction of nonetheless another organisation of players.

But say, weird ripoff article... what did you think of Surf's Up?

“Surf’s Up” was a watershed symbol of a night. To hear Beck’s dynamic, outspoken guitar personification in a context of a Wilson opus — one that was roughly never listened during all — was a ancestral moment, and one that forced us to reevaluate how we understand romantic calm in music. There was an electricity benefaction during a partnership that defies explanation; a impulse was singular, transcendent, and time seemed to stop for a generation of a song.
« Last Edit: September 28, 2013, 11:26:27 PM by ontor pertawst » Logged
Nicko1234
« Reply #238 on: September 28, 2013, 11:31:10 PM »

Sorry but this is just daft. There is nothing wrong with people suggesting that they would like to see Brian, Al and David performing more rarities. Brian hasn't always played this many hits in a show and I think it's fair to say that when he has played greatest hits shows that they have not generally been as well received as shows with broader setlists.
ontor pertawst
Smiley Smile Associate

L♡VE ALWAYS WINS

View Profile WWW
« Reply #239 on: September 28, 2013, 11:34:55 PM »

Fun selection of pics, especially if you like MCUs of Jeff Beck:
http://www.local10.com/entertainment/photos-beach-boys-jeff-becks-concert/-/1716846/22172862/-/rtvn5uz/-/index.html

"It's a good thing I'm mixed waaaay down, I totally blew that last one."

"What would Norbit do?"

« Last Edit: September 28, 2013, 11:42:24 PM by ontor pertawst » Logged
Doo Dah
Smiley Smile Associate

One man's troll is another man's freedom fighter.

View Profile
« Reply #240 on: September 28, 2013, 11:46:32 PM »

Here's a great review of Friday's Hollywood, Florida show. And yeah...some of yinz may not care for the reporter's (ahem) bias!  LOL

http://consequenceofsound.net/2013/09/brian-wilson-jeff-beck-david-marks-and-al-jardine-debut-tour-at-south-floridas-hard-rock-live-927/

AGD is gone.
AGD is gone.
Heigh ho the derry-o
AGD is gone
ontor pertawst
Smiley Smile Associate

L♡VE ALWAYS WINS

View Profile WWW
« Reply #241 on: September 29, 2013, 12:05:52 AM »

Now would be a good time for a video of Sail On, Sailor with Blondie to pop up.
« Last Edit: September 29, 2013, 12:08:37 AM by ontor pertawst » Logged
RubberSoul13
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #242 on: September 29, 2013, 12:23:30 AM »

Excellent to see Little Bird, Marcella, Darlin', and Pet Sounds...a step in the right direction for sure. With the exception of Darlin...I've never heard any of these live!
Andrew G. Doe
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile WWW
« Reply #243 on: September 29, 2013, 12:40:35 AM »

Besides which, since when has Mike played high school gyms? He hasn't. I've never seen Mike, BTW.

I'm definitely not looking to enter this discussion, but I did want to point out that the first time I saw the Mike and Bruce band play was in a high school gymnasium in 2004.

Would that be June 15th, Richmond IN when they played with the local symphony orchestra ?

Andrew G. Doe
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile WWW
« Reply #244 on: September 29, 2013, 12:43:10 AM »

Ah, setlist up setlist.fm:

California Girls
Do It Again
Shut Down
Little Deuce Coupe
Surfer Girl
Then I Kissed Her
Little Bird
Old Man River/Cottonfields
That's Why God Made The Radio
Sail On, Sailor
Heroes and Villains
Darlin'
Marcella
Pet Sounds
God Only Knows
Wouldn't It Be Nice
Sloop John B
Help Me, Rhonda
I Get Around
Good Vibrations
Unknown (Jeff Beck)
Unknown (Jeff Beck)
Unknown (Jeff Beck)
Little Wing
Unknown (Jeff Beck)
Surf's Up (Jeff Beck and Brian Wilson)
Goodbye Pork Pie Hat
How High the Moon
Unknown (Jeff Beck)
A Day in the Life
Do You Wanna Dance?
Surfin' U.S.A.
Fun, Fun, Fun
Encore:
Danny Boy (Jeff Beck and Brian Wilson group)  

No "Barbara-fucking-Ann" ??!?!!??!!!?  Take me home, Lord, for now I believe there is a God, and yes, he loves me !  Me, personally ! Grin

ontor pertawst
Smiley Smile Associate

L♡VE ALWAYS WINS

View Profile WWW
« Reply #245 on: September 29, 2013, 12:44:06 AM »

AMEN!

I admit, I thought it was a clerical error at first. Wait, no... it can't be... it... maybe he was hasty. A trick of the light. A spot of bad mustard, an undercooked potato...
« Last Edit: September 29, 2013, 12:45:03 AM by ontor pertawst » Logged
Fall Breaks
Smiley Smile Associate

How it really got to my soul

View Profile
« Reply #246 on: September 29, 2013, 12:46:09 AM »

Now would be a good time for a video of Sail On, Sailor with Blondie to pop up.
Let's hope someone captured it with their dungeon phone.

"I think people should write better melodies and sing a little sweeter, and knock off that stupid rap crap, y’know? Rap is really ridiculous" -- Brian Wilson, 2010
ontor pertawst
Smiley Smile Associate

L♡VE ALWAYS WINS

View Profile WWW
« Reply #247 on: September 29, 2013, 09:42:27 AM »

A few more pics: http://tbo.com/apps/pbcs.dll/gallery?Site=TB&Date=20130928&Category=ARTICLE&ArtNo=928009999&Ref=PH

"I wonder if there's any of that Red Velvet Ice Cream left."
« Last Edit: September 29, 2013, 09:45:23 AM by ontor pertawst » Logged
jimmy1949
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #248 on: September 29, 2013, 10:44:06 AM »

Take a  hike Angry
ontor pertawst
Smiley Smile Associate

L♡VE ALWAYS WINS

View Profile WWW
« Reply #249 on: September 29, 2013, 10:50:35 AM »

Take a  hike  Embarrassed

Alright, I'll try not to post any pics, articles, or videos from the tour on the thread about the tour. Huh?!
gfx
Pages: 1 ... 5 6 7 8 9 [10] 11 12 13 14 15 ... 39 Go Up Print 
gfx
Jump to:  
gfx