gfxgfx

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
logo

gfx gfx
gfx
680755 Posts in 27615 Topics by 4068 Members - Latest Member: Dae Lims April 20, 2024, 01:33:25 PM
gfx*HomeHelpSearchCalendarLoginRegistergfx
gfxgfx
Pages: 1 ... 3 4 5 6 7 [8] 9 Go Down Print
Author Topic: Tongal Contests: California Feelin' & Goin' to the Beach  (Read 25343 times)
Micha
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile WWW
« Reply #175 on: August 01, 2013, 02:13:21 AM »

Hey, I would never have expected this Rocky guy to sing that good!

Oh, and i don’t see in what universe this could’ve been a hit.

Imagine a universe with most people being like me. Shocked

Ceterum censeo SMiLEBrianum OSDumque esse excludendos banno.
runnersdialzero
Smiley Smile Associate

I WILL NEVER GO TO SCHOOL

View Profile
« Reply #176 on: August 01, 2013, 05:36:38 AM »

I hate to bring up the "A" word, but there's some obvious digital tuning on Brian's vocal in two spots. I have no idea why doing the same to Carl's vocals would flat the entire thing, but I've heard it happen before and accidentally did so myself a couple times when I was less experienced with the software.

The flat vocal is one of the most subtle examples I've ever heard (but is indeed there) and likely sounded just fine to whoever mixed it. Everyone's ears are slightly different and occasionally what sounds too sharp or too flat to one person will sound just fine to another (and vice versa, too). Still, it's kind of odd.

Glad I'm not the only one who hears how flat it is! It's night and day to me.. just listen to the boot version, Carl's pitch is on point. Here's its... flat. Almost a half pitch at times, feels like. Though it's probably closer to a quarter pitch off.

And I agree, sometimes when you're the one at the controls, you miss things like this. It's easy to have an objective ear after someone else put in a ton of work on the project.

On another note.. I didn't catch the autotune! Where at?

It's especially apparent on "San Onofre", but Brian's vocal in the beginning kind of has that watery, wavery kind of quality to it throughout. "San Onofre" sounds kind of gnarly, but it's not terrible otherwise.

Tell me it's okay.
Tell me you still love me.
People make mistakes.
People make mistakes.
Iron Horse-Apples
« Reply #177 on: August 01, 2013, 06:37:43 AM »

I hate to bring up the "A" word, but there's some obvious digital tuning on Brian's vocal in two spots. I have no idea why doing the same to Carl's vocals would flat the entire thing, but I've heard it happen before and accidentally did so myself a couple times when I was less experienced with the software.

The flat vocal is one of the most subtle examples I've ever heard (but is indeed there) and likely sounded just fine to whoever mixed it. Everyone's ears are slightly different and occasionally what sounds too sharp or too flat to one person will sound just fine to another (and vice versa, too). Still, it's kind of odd.

Glad I'm not the only one who hears how flat it is! It's night and day to me.. just listen to the boot version, Carl's pitch is on point. Here's its... flat. Almost a half pitch at times, feels like. Though it's probably closer to a quarter pitch off.

And I agree, sometimes when you're the one at the controls, you miss things like this. It's easy to have an objective ear after someone else put in a ton of work on the project.

It's especially apparent on "San Onofre", but Brian's vocal in the beginning kind of has that watery, wavery kind of quality to it throughout. "San Onofre" sounds kind of gnarly, but it's not terrible otherwise.

It's just his voice wavering. Trust me, there's no autotune on  Brian's voice.
seltaeb1012002
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #178 on: August 01, 2013, 07:38:41 AM »

It's just his voice wavering. Trust me, there's no autotune on  Brian's voice.

Agreed.
monicker
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #179 on: August 01, 2013, 09:00:38 AM »

I also say there's no A-T on Brian. With such a naked vocal like that (the opening section is almost a cappella) it would be really obvious. There's nothing there.

Don't be eccentric, this is a BEACH BOYS forum, for God's sake!
runnersdialzero
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #180 on: August 01, 2013, 11:22:09 AM »

FINE.

Tell me it's okay.
People make mistakes.
People make mistakes.
Stegibo
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #181 on: August 03, 2013, 06:28:50 AM »

This version of California feeling is absolutely beautiful! The harmonies are stunning, definitely one of their best work. I love this song!
They should release it as a single!!

Are you ready for some Fun Fun Fun?!
Generation42
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #182 on: August 03, 2013, 12:26:25 PM »

I should preface all of my remarks by saying that I've not listened over high quality speakers, or even a nice set of headphones yet, but personally, I don't hear any outrageous pitch-iness with Brian on the word "beach," and Carl generally sounds okay to me.  Maybe a little druggy (the type of effect heard from slowing down the tape), but then, I've never heard the boot version to compare Carls.

runners, are you listening to the mp3 version?  Maybe this is the reason behind a 'watery' sound?  Just a thought.  I went straight for the aiff file, so I couldn't say for sure.

Anyway, I do quite enjoy this rendition of "California Feelin'."  It's certainly gone straight to the top of versions of the song I've listened to and enjoyed.  Naturally, this has only served to heighten my eagerness to hear the solo Brian take.
runnersdialzero
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #183 on: August 03, 2013, 12:34:01 PM »

teh AIF file., of course The mp3 wouldn't have created the effect heard on the vocal, though. It doesn't sound like a natural wavering of the voice to me (especially from Brian in 1978), and I'm not one of those people who hears autot00n on everything just because I want to criticize it. Music is a special thing to me, I don't want to dislike or criticize any of it. I could very well be wrong, though. Either way, like I said, the effect sounds fine except on "San Onofre", and even then, yeah.

Also, wanted to say that my "FINE" was meant in teh jokingly but then I seemingly killed the thread Cry

Tell me it's okay.
People make mistakes.
People make mistakes.
Generation42
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #184 on: August 03, 2013, 01:11:25 PM »

The mp3 wouldn't have created the effect heard on the vocal, though.
Fair enough.  Personally, I wouldn't know, as I don't hear anything "watery" to begin with (but again, I haven't given the song a truly close examination yet), so I was really just taking a stab in the dark.

"Music is a special thing to me, I don't want to dislike or criticize any of it."  Hey, I'm with you.  In fact, I think most of us here would agree that music is something we hold sacred in our lives (even if I do sometimes think some people here kind of revel in making disparaging remarks).   Evil
Cabinessenceking
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #185 on: August 03, 2013, 03:16:27 PM »

Goin' To The Beach got a bigger thread than Cal Feelin?

I hope this is due to the controversial nature of the former...
runnersdialzero
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #186 on: August 03, 2013, 03:55:45 PM »

It was the first new track we heard from Made In California, so yeah.

Tell me it's okay.
People make mistakes.
People make mistakes.
Jim V.
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #187 on: August 03, 2013, 06:04:45 PM »

It was the first new track we heard from Made In California, so yeah.

Not gonna lie, I'm kinda surprised at that fact. But combining the fact that "Goin' To The Beach" is probably the most classic stupid cheesy Mike type thing that could come out, coupled with the fact that "California Feelin'" has been out there for quite a few years (albeit minus Brian's lead vocal and a few other changes) probably meant that conversation on "Goin' To The Beach" went on a bit longer.
Iron Horse-Apples
« Reply #188 on: August 04, 2013, 01:06:16 AM »

Also, wanted to say that my "FINE" was meant in teh jokingly but then I seemingly killed the thread Cry

I took it how you meant it, don't worries Runners. Regarding the pitch correction though, even the voices in my head sound autotuned these days, but I really don't hear it on this track.
RangeRoverA1
Smiley Smile Associate

I drink expired tea. wanna sip or spit?

View Profile
« Reply #189 on: August 09, 2013, 04:48:31 AM »

Goin' to the Beach is a summer song. It's not a lost classic, but it's fun.
Lyrically - yes, it's a summer song. But there's absolutely nothing summery about its melody. I don't hear "fun", either. Generally, summer songs don't sound so boring & repetitive, not mentioning they're usually joyful & catchy. F.ex. the likes of "Sunshine" (KTSA), "Island Girl", "Isn't It Time", "Dance Dance Dance" & even "She's Got Rhythm". In short, I only agree that GTTB isn't a lost classic.

here's the Brian piano/vocal version: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=p7YSzHqvSeY
Had me going for the first few seconds...
Me too. I only was tricked by the intro, then it immediately became recognizable that the lead is not Brian. Anyway, it's a nice version & without comparison, Rocky did rather good performance. However, it doesn't mean we should discuss him, because simply he's not a Beach Boy or any of their musicians - just some outsider - plus he left an unpleasant mark in the band's history. I don't respect him & surely no one else does.

Short notice: the cat you see to the left is the best. Not counting your indoor cat who might have habit sitting at your left side when you post at SmileySmile.

Who is Lucille Ball & Vivian Vance Duet Fan Club CEO? Btw, such Club exists?

Zany zealous Zeddie eats broccoli at brunch break but doesn't do's & don't's due to duties.
Autotune
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #190 on: August 09, 2013, 07:03:34 AM »

CF is lovely. A sort of California gospel song, like Timothy White put it. Brian's vocal is remarkable, full of personality, beautifully delivered.

Gowever, I don't think Carl would have approved its release as he sings a number of bum notes and half-assed adlibs. There is a seal of quality to practically all of Carl's released leads, and I don't think this (working vocal) meets such standard. For a guy that was reluctant to show Soulful Ol Man Sunshine to the world because of his vocal in it, it seems unlikely that he would have approved the release of CF.

"His lyrical ability has never been touched by anyone, except for Mike Love."

-Brian Wilson on Van Dyke Parks (2015)
drbeachboy
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #191 on: August 09, 2013, 07:27:47 AM »

CF is lovely. A sort of California gospel song, like Timothy White put it. Brian's vocal is remarkable, full of personality, beautifully delivered.

Gowever, I don't think Carl would have approved its release as he sings a number of bum notes and half-assed adlibs. There is a seal of quality to practically all of Carl's released leads, and I don't think this (working vocal) meets such standard. For a guy that was reluctant to show Soulful Ol Man Sunshine to the world because of his vocal in it, it seems unlikely that he would have approved the release of CF.
Play it 2% faster and the bum notes seem to disappear. As discussed earlier, there was some monkeying around going on when this was put together.

The Brianista Prayer

Oh Brian
Thou Art In Hawthorne,
Harmonied Be Thy name
Your Kingdom Come,
Your Steak Well Done,
On Stage As It Is In Studio,
Give Us This Day, Our Shortenin' Bread
And Forgive Us Our Bootlegs,
As We Also Have Forgiven Our Wife And Managers,
And Lead Us Not Into Kokomo,
But Deliver Us From Mike Love.
Amen.  ---hypehat
Niko
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #192 on: September 01, 2013, 01:36:39 AM »

So who's entering this contest? The deadline is in 3 weeks, and I've been working on my submission for a while. I would love to win that stratocaster.

punkinhead
Smiley Smile Associate

what it means to be human

View Profile
« Reply #193 on: September 01, 2013, 09:35:25 AM »

How are they releasing Goin' to the Beach with the new guitar solo?

To view my video documentation of my Beach Boys collection go to www.youtube.com/justinplank

"Someone needs to tell Adrian Baker that imitation isn't innovation." -The Real Beach Boy

~post of the century~
"Well, you reached out to me too, David, and I'd be more than happy to fill Bgas's shoes. You don't need him anyway - some of us have the same items in our collections as he does and we're also much better writers. Spoiled brat....."
-Mikie

"in this online beach boy community, I've found that you're either correct or corrected. Which in my mind is all in good fun to show ones knowledge of their favorite band."- punkinhead
Niko
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #194 on: September 11, 2013, 08:15:04 AM »

How are they releasing Goin' to the Beach with the new guitar solo?

I think it'll be something you can listen to from the Beach Boys website. That's how they make it sound anyway.

I want that guitar.

Freddie French-Pounce
Smiley Smile Associate

A.K.A. mrmoustachioto

View Profile
« Reply #195 on: September 11, 2013, 08:17:53 AM »

Can we add a drum solo instead... Wink

Check out the Mono/Stereo Mix Breakdown podcast Mixology here: https://mixology.podbean.com/
Iron Horse-Apples
« Reply #196 on: September 11, 2013, 08:19:44 AM »

How about a little finger poppin' ?
Niko
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #197 on: September 11, 2013, 08:20:10 AM »

Can we add a drum solo instead... Wink

I was hoping a lot of people would be submitting joke solos. You should do some scat singing over the entire thing.

Niko
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #198 on: September 11, 2013, 08:20:41 AM »

How about a little finger poppin' ?

That's only done through overdubs

No overdubbing allowed Sad

runnersdialzero
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #199 on: September 11, 2013, 08:21:08 AM »

I don't think it was ever said to be a scratch vocal or anything, I really don't think it is. Several of the guy's leads from this period have the quality they have here, so yeah. He sounds just fine to me considering the era. I don't hear any "half-assed adlibs" in his vocal, either.

Also, the only reason he was against "Soulful Old Man Sunshine" is because he sang "shunshine" once, that's all.

Tell me it's okay.
People make mistakes.
People make mistakes.
gfx
Pages: 1 ... 3 4 5 6 7 [8] 9 Go Up Print 
gfx
Jump to:  
gfx