gfxgfx

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
logo

gfx gfx
gfx
680597 Posts in 27600 Topics by 4068 Members - Latest Member: Dae Lims March 28, 2024, 10:00:07 AM
gfx*HomeHelpSearchCalendarLoginRegistergfx
gfxgfx
Pages: 1 [2] 3 4 5 6 7 ... 9 Go Down Print
Author Topic: Tongal Contests: California Feelin' & Goin' to the Beach  (Read 25277 times)
♩♬🐸 Billy C ♯♫♩🐇
Pissing off drunks since 1978
Global Moderator

🍦🍦 Pet Demon for Sale - $5 or best offer ☮☮

View Profile WWW
« Reply #25 on: July 29, 2013, 06:29:38 PM »

Sad part is, with my financial situation the way it is, this is the closest I'll be able to get to MIC ;(

Need your song mixed/mastered? Contact me at fear2stop@yahoo.com. Serious inquiries only, please!
zachrwolfe
« Reply #26 on: July 29, 2013, 06:29:55 PM »

« Last Edit: December 20, 2018, 08:53:01 PM by zatch » Logged
MarcellaHasDirtyFeet
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #27 on: July 29, 2013, 06:32:35 PM »

Christmas in July. Not a masterpiece, but a helluva song nonetheless. A few less "California Feelin'"s and more lyrics in their place and it would've been a classic!

Nah. Never mind. It's already a new classic
♩♬🐸 Billy C ♯♫♩🐇
Global Moderator

View Profile WWW
« Reply #28 on: July 29, 2013, 06:39:35 PM »

Totally agree with that theory. Many of his high parts on Love You, for example, sound just like his Sunflower-era voice. I don't think his voice actually changed very much until Landy messed with him, tbh.

I think by 1979 (1980 at the very latest) there was no going back. I'm not saying there wasn't actual damage done to his voice prior, just that he wouldn't be able to recover after that. There are some 'odd' vocals after that, though; on some songs he actually uses his vocal style from the 1968-1971 time period, but it's not that obvious as his voice was shot by that point. Good example is the demo version of 'Don't Let Her Know She's an Angel' from 1986, or 'You're Still a Mystery'.

Need your song mixed/mastered? Contact me at fear2stop@yahoo.com. Serious inquiries only, please!
EgoHanger1966
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #29 on: July 29, 2013, 06:39:47 PM »

WOW. That was just breathtakingly awesome. A new Beach Boys classic - THIS is what they should be releasing as a single, if anything, off the box. Is this the only song Brian AND Bruce sing lead on? So cool.

Hal Blaine:"You're gonna get a tomata all over yer puss!"
Brian: "Don't say puss."
♩♬🐸 Billy C ♯♫♩🐇
Global Moderator

View Profile WWW
« Reply #30 on: July 29, 2013, 06:45:13 PM »

WOW. That was just breathtakingly awesome. A new Beach Boys classic - THIS is what they should be releasing as a single, if anything, off the box. Is this the only song Brian AND Bruce sing lead on? So cool.

And Carl.

EgoHanger1966
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #31 on: July 29, 2013, 06:46:40 PM »

And Carl.

Right - but there have been songs where Carl and Brian have lead vocals on the same song - never Brian & Bruce, to my knowledge, though. I love Bruce's "sweet" sounding voice - always good to hear.

♩♬🐸 Billy C ♯♫♩🐇
Global Moderator

View Profile WWW
« Reply #32 on: July 29, 2013, 06:50:08 PM »

And Carl.

Right - but there have been songs where Carl and Brian have lead vocals on the same song - never Brian & Bruce, to my knowledge, though. I love Bruce's "sweet" sounding voice - always good to hear.

I know, just pointing out this track is Carl, Bruce, and Brian , and Brian's more of a cameo. Technically, you can add 'Deirdre' to that list (can it be a list if there are only two things on it? LOL ) in that Bruce is the lead but Brian's the most prominent vocal in the chorus.

Jim V.
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #33 on: July 29, 2013, 07:02:01 PM »

And Carl.

In addition to "Deirdre", they both have lead parts on "At My Window". But Brian's part is spoken word so that doesn't count. More recently, there is "Isn't It Time". But yeah, good point, no Brian/Bruce duets really.

And is Eric Wareheim your avatar Billy?
« Last Edit: July 29, 2013, 07:03:39 PM by sweetdudejim » Logged
Fro
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #34 on: July 29, 2013, 07:07:02 PM »

California Feelin =  Shocked  Cool

The version of Goin' to the Beach has the horrible sax solo cut out, and they're apparently having a contest to dub in a new lead guitar track with solo.  Mark Linett and Alan Boyd are going to mix the winner into the track and that's going to be released as an alternate take.
♩♬🐸 Billy C ♯♫♩🐇
Global Moderator

View Profile WWW
« Reply #35 on: July 29, 2013, 07:09:35 PM »

Yup, sure is, Jim!

Bud Shaver
Smiley Smile Associate

Let Us Go On This Way

View Profile
« Reply #36 on: July 29, 2013, 07:25:03 PM »

Have you listened to the Goin' To The Beach mp3?  It's doesn't have the 2013 overdubbed Sax and Guitar solo... pretty cool bonus I'd say.
♩♬🐸 Billy C ♯♫♩🐇
Global Moderator

View Profile WWW
« Reply #37 on: July 29, 2013, 07:26:41 PM »

Yes I have... personally I like it a lot

Bud Shaver
Smiley Smile Associate

Let Us Go On This Way

View Profile
« Reply #38 on: July 29, 2013, 07:31:25 PM »

Yes I have... personally I like it a lot

I knew (from discussions here) that the guitar was new, I wasn't expecting the sax to be new, too. 
seltaeb1012002
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #39 on: July 29, 2013, 07:37:50 PM »

As far as why Carl's voice is flat? That's generally how he sounded during that time period.

No, there's definitely something up with the vocal speed. It's on the whole vocal, but as a quick example, compare "skies" at 0:57 from the new mix to "skies" at 1:02 on the boot mix http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=om5ocMQQ3d8

Right on pitch on the old version, pretty flat on the new version.

It's not a big deal, I'm actually not even sure how it would be possible. But, my ears picked it up upon listening, FWIW.
The 'new' version is the correct speed. I'd been told previously that several booted  tracks from that time period have some 'issues'. Whether they are like that due to watermarking or for other reasons, I've never been given a straight answer.

Interesting. And I don't doubt there's been some watermarking. That said, and I know I'm nerding out here Billy, I just lined up the two versions in my DAW and they are the same speed - only Carl's vocal is slightly flat on the new version (although the vocal runs at the same speed as the original). Audio - https://soundcloud.com/smile-a-d/calfeel. Notice the background harmonies and instruments blend fine together, minus some very slight phase issues - but there's a clearly defined "double tracked" effect on Carl's vocal due to the two pitches clashing with each other (starting at 0:15).

DonnyL or anyone knowledgeable on the subject of reel to reel, would love to hear your thoughts - Can pitch actually be altered on reel to reel over the years without affecting timing, or is there something else at play here?? I haven't heard it too many times, but I actually noticed a few instances of this when I was creating SMiLE AD - The "Wonderful" background vocals for instance.. in that case, the pitch was correct - but the timing was stretched out!

Again, its not a huge deal and doesn't take away from the enjoyment of the song. Just interesting technical sh*zz.
♩♬🐸 Billy C ♯♫♩🐇
Global Moderator

View Profile WWW
« Reply #40 on: July 29, 2013, 07:42:01 PM »

Can happen due to oxidation and/or general tape decay. I have several analog recordings from about 15 years ago that have that issue.

EgoHanger1966
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #41 on: July 29, 2013, 07:42:07 PM »

And Carl.

In addition to "Deirdre", they both have lead parts on "At My Window". But Brian's part is spoken word so that doesn't count. More recently, there is "Isn't It Time". But yeah, good point, no Brian/Bruce duets really.

And is Eric Wareheim your avatar Billy?

I wouldn't count Deirdre. At My Window is closer. I guess, though, Add Some Music would qualify.

Ooh, didn't even think to download that Goin' To The Beach....

EgoHanger1966
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #42 on: July 29, 2013, 07:45:58 PM »

Have you listened to the Goin' To The Beach mp3?  It's doesn't have the 2013 overdubbed Sax and Guitar solo... pretty cool bonus I'd say.

After a listen I'd say that should be the verison on the box. Like it a lot. Sounds great.

Bubba Ho-Tep
« Reply #43 on: July 29, 2013, 07:47:51 PM »

Last time I messed around with Tongal they went ahead and created an account for me using my facebook photo and plastered my private life all over the internet. I'll wait.
seltaeb1012002
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #44 on: July 29, 2013, 07:49:38 PM »

Can happen due to oxidation and/or general tape decay. I have several analog recordings from about 15 years ago that have that issue.

Oh yeah? Are those 4 track tapes?

Interesting that it affected Carl's vocal, yet, all the other tracks on the tape seem to be in good shape. It's a strange world.
♩♬🐸 Billy C ♯♫♩🐇
Global Moderator

View Profile WWW
« Reply #45 on: July 29, 2013, 07:52:20 PM »

Interesting that it affected Carl's vocal, yet, all the other tracks on the tape seem to be in good shape. It's a strange world.

16-track ADAT.

BTW..I just listened to the 1974 Rollin' Up To Heaven and the 'new' CF back to back...Brian's falsetto sounds the same on both of them. Odd.
« Last Edit: July 29, 2013, 07:53:40 PM by In Soviet Russia, beach goes to YOU » Logged

Fro
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #46 on: July 29, 2013, 07:57:23 PM »

After a listen I'd say that should be the verison on the box. Like it a lot. Sounds great.

If my buddy ends up submitting a lead guitar track, that one should be the one on the box.  He works for another famous music family right now.   Cool Guy
Shady
Smiley Smile Associate

I had to fix a lot of things this morning

View Profile
« Reply #47 on: July 29, 2013, 08:00:50 PM »

Beautiful, beautiful song.

The vocals, wow. Only the Beach Boys could make a song sound like it has a 20 piece choir when it's just them.

Can't wait to have it on CD.

According to someone who would know.

Seriously, there was a Beach Boys Love You condom?!  Amazing.
Amazing Larry
Smiley Smile Associate

There's a new daddy in town...

View Profile
« Reply #48 on: July 29, 2013, 08:05:24 PM »

16-track ADAT.

BTW..I just listened to the 1974 Rollin' Up To Heaven and the 'new' CF back to back...Brian's falsetto sounds the same on both of them. Odd.
And when Brian says "Like most days" there's some piano leakage under it. Maybe the vocal IS from 1974.

A discipline daddy.
♩♬🐸 Billy C ♯♫♩🐇
Global Moderator

View Profile WWW
« Reply #49 on: July 29, 2013, 08:08:05 PM »

Just noticed something...are we SURE Carl's voice is the same track as the booted version? And yeah, I caught the piano leakage is well. Another thing...Brian's falsetto at 1:47 and at the very end* sound completely different, like they were recorded at different times (or years...)Weird, huh?

*that's the one I referenced at my post above.

gfx
Pages: 1 [2] 3 4 5 6 7 ... 9 Go Up Print 
gfx
Jump to:  
gfx