-->
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
April 25, 2024, 04:49:23 AM

Login with username, password and session length
Search:     Advanced search
News: Beach Boys Britain
Home Help Search Calendar Login Register
+  The Smiley Smile Message Board
|-+  Non Smiley Smile Stuff
| |-+  The Sandbox
| | |-+  British company turns human ashes into vinyl records
Pages: [1]   Go Down
Print
Author Topic: British company turns human ashes into vinyl records  (Read 2033 times)
Doo Dah
Smiley Smile Associate

One man's troll is another man's freedom fighter.

View Profile
« on: July 28, 2013, 08:57:02 AM »

Ya got 24 minutes to fill. Hmmmmm.
(and you think they had a hard time choosing tracks for MIC!)

http://www.rawstory.com/rs/2013/07/27/british-company-turns-human-ashes-into-vinyl-records/

A company called “And Vinyly” — rhymes with “And Finally” — will now process your cremated remains into a 12-inch vinyl record that includes 24 minutes of the music of your choice. According to BusinessWeek.com, for a fee of about $4,600, decedents can will for their ashes to be included in the pressing of 30 vinyl records to be distributed to friends and loved ones.

The company was founded by U.K. music producer Jason Leach, 41, in 2009, but recently has seen a sudden increase in interest. So far, he has provided the service for four individuals, one of whom was a club DJ whose family wanted him “to be played at his favorite clubs a few more times” after his passing. However, Leach has received hundreds of inquiries in recent months.

The process, he said, is actually quite simple. A person’s ashes are delivered to a pressing plant in London and added to raw vinyl. Then the vinyl is pressed into a 24-minute record, 12 minutes per side. Leach said that most people struggle not with the price — which is actually less than a traditional burial — but with what music or sounds they want to choose.

“People over-think it,” Leach said to Business Week. “This tends to become a very long process with people changing their minds constantly.”

The possibilities, he said, are virtually endless. Leach has recorded people telling jokes or stories about their families. He himself is torn about what he would put on his own record. He said that he thinks about ambient sound, sometimes, or his own laughter on a loop. Other times, he said, he thinks it should just be blank, featuring the sounds of his ashes interacting in pops and scratches with the record player needle.

“I quite like that idea,” he told Business Week, but then a moment later added, “Don’t hold me to any of this. I’m sure I’ll change my mind tomorrow.”

AGD is gone.
AGD is gone.
Heigh ho the derry-o
AGD is gone
leggo of my ego
Smiley Smile Associate

Beach Boys Stomp

View Profile
« Reply #1 on: July 29, 2013, 09:04:43 AM »

Um - nice if you can afford it. Not quite my style though.

Can ashes be made into a reel to reel tape?

Hey Little Tomboy is creepy. Banging women by the pool is fun and conjures up warm summer thoughts a Beach Boys song should.

Necessity knows no law
A bootlegger knows no law
Therefore: A bootlegger is a necessity
bringahorseinhere?
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #2 on: July 29, 2013, 09:15:03 AM »

I love me vinyl and reel tapes, but ashes to vinyl?..... that is a little weird....

and what happens to reel to reel tape after a while? ashes to oxide? hehehe

and after a bunch of years when you need to re'bake' your tapes, does that mean your double cremated?....

shish kabab....

RickB
?
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #3 on: July 29, 2013, 09:28:45 AM »

I'll be a great Smile bootleg one day.  Look for me on ebay.  LOL
hypehat
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #4 on: July 29, 2013, 09:41:57 AM »

0_o

All roads lead to Kokomo. Exhaustive research in time travel has conclusively proven that there is no alternate universe WITHOUT Kokomo. It would've happened regardless.
What is this "life" thing you speak of ?

Quote from: Al Jardine
Syncopate it? In front of all these people?!
Pages: [1]   Go Up
Print
Jump to: