gfxgfx

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
logo

gfx gfx
gfx
680780 Posts in 27616 Topics by 4067 Members - Latest Member: Dae Lims April 23, 2024, 06:36:56 PM
gfx*HomeHelpSearchCalendarLoginRegistergfx
gfxgfx
Pages: 1 [2] 3 4 5 6 7 8 Go Down Print
Author Topic: Goin' To The Beach  (Read 27642 times)
Disney Boy (1985)
« Reply #25 on: July 23, 2013, 11:18:42 AM »

Is this the boxset version you're all referring too? Where is it available to hear?
zachrwolfe
« Reply #26 on: July 23, 2013, 11:21:59 AM »

« Last Edit: December 20, 2018, 08:54:57 PM by zatch » Logged
pixletwin
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #27 on: July 23, 2013, 11:34:13 AM »

If you live in the US and purchased MiC thru Amazon it is a free download. The link is in the MiC thread.
Disney Boy (1985)
« Reply #28 on: July 23, 2013, 11:55:48 AM »

Christ that was appalling! What a sh*t song. Yeah thanks for that Mike. What a classic!
ontor pertawst
Smiley Smile Associate

L♡VE ALWAYS WINS

View Profile WWW
« Reply #29 on: July 23, 2013, 11:59:24 AM »

I think you should quote random lines from it to people in your daily life so they can feel uplifted and vaguely greasy.
Dave Modny
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #30 on: July 23, 2013, 12:50:50 PM »

I'm actually digging this. Sure, it's a "bit" dopey and slight. But, is it really any more dopey and slight than something like Waves of Love (which I kind of dig as well)? As an appetizer for the box, I think it's done its job. So nice to hear unreleased, (mostly) vintage BBs music.

PS - I'll also concede that I'm probably cutting it some slack simply because it is previously unreleased. Still...nice to hear some "new" and vintage BBs music.
« Last Edit: July 23, 2013, 01:49:16 PM by Dave Modny » Logged
zachrwolfe
« Reply #31 on: July 23, 2013, 01:01:02 PM »

« Last Edit: December 20, 2018, 08:54:53 PM by zatch » Logged
hypehat
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #32 on: July 23, 2013, 01:06:36 PM »

I have no strong feelings about this either way.

All roads lead to Kokomo. Exhaustive research in time travel has conclusively proven that there is no alternate universe WITHOUT Kokomo. It would've happened regardless.
What is this "life" thing you speak of ?

Quote from: Al Jardine
Syncopate it? In front of all these people?!
Generation42
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #33 on: July 23, 2013, 01:07:08 PM »

This rendition of "Goin' to the Beach" is pretty much what one would expect after hearing the backing track, the demo and (especially) the recent live version.

The number is just up-tempo and hook-y enough to be mildly pleasurable and, as I said after hearing the live version, the song, while not earth-shatteringly good, by any means, does precisely what one would expect of a Beach Boys outtake from the late 1970's (and does it better, even, than some of the material chosen ahead of it for the KTSA album).  When seen through this light, there's not a darned thing wrong with it.  Could I have lived a full and happy life without ever having heard "Goin' to the Beach"?  Well, yeah, but I'm happy to say that now I won't have to.

I'm also glad to read that so many are enjoying the track.  Bring on Made in California!  Rock!
« Last Edit: July 23, 2013, 08:14:58 PM by Generation42 » Logged
zachrwolfe
« Reply #34 on: July 23, 2013, 01:20:20 PM »

« Last Edit: December 20, 2018, 08:54:49 PM by zatch » Logged
HeyJude
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile WWW
« Reply #35 on: July 23, 2013, 01:30:38 PM »

Posted some thoughts on the song my blog. On the plus side, it's mostly the original 1979 recording from what I can tell.

THE BEACH BOYS OPINION PAGE IS ON FACEBOOK!!! http://www.facebook.com/beachboysopinion - Check out the original "BEACH BOYS OPINION PAGE" Blog - http://beachboysopinion.blogspot.com/
Generation42
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #36 on: July 23, 2013, 01:35:38 PM »

On the plus side, it's mostly the original 1979 recording from what I can tell.
I'm curious, do we know the extent of Brian's involvement in both the writing and the recording of GttB?
HeyJude
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile WWW
« Reply #37 on: July 23, 2013, 01:40:08 PM »

I'm curious, do we know the extent of Brian's involvement in both the writing and the recording of GttB?

The 1980 "Going Platinum" TV special that documents the making of the album actually shows quite a bit of the writing and recording of the song. Brian seemed to be relatively involved.

THE BEACH BOYS OPINION PAGE IS ON FACEBOOK!!! http://www.facebook.com/beachboysopinion - Check out the original "BEACH BOYS OPINION PAGE" Blog - http://beachboysopinion.blogspot.com/
Generation42
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #38 on: July 23, 2013, 04:25:13 PM »

The 1980 "Going Platinum" TV special that documents the making of the album actually shows quite a bit of the writing and recording of the song. Brian seemed to be relatively involved.
You know, I've heard a lot about that special, but other than a couple of short clips on YT, I've never seen it.  Anyone have an idea who played what on the backing tracks?*

*Just as an aside, I asked the same question about the "Good Timin'" backing track maybe six weeks ago (thinking it would be an easy thing to find out here), but I guess no one knows?
Tony S
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #39 on: July 23, 2013, 04:31:16 PM »

I have the Going Platinum special; interviews are ok, no Dennis though, and all of the performances are lip synched to the Keeping the Summer Alive tracks. Nothing astonishing.
Mr. Cohen
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #40 on: July 23, 2013, 04:36:03 PM »

The late '70s Beach Boys always sounded like a karaoke band instrumentally. With the kind of money being thrown at them, you'd think they could try a little harder.

I'm gonna call this song trash. Not because it's necessarily bad, but it's about as rudimentary of songwriting as you could do. There are a million bands that could write a clunker like this. In fact, the bands at those rock & roll "camps" Brian always makes a cameo at have probably churned out stronger material.

Seriously, what's there to like? "Oh wow, they're capable of playing generic chords in time! Listen to that bass hammer away repetitively on the root note! Someone was able to get three of their fingers to plod on the keyboard all at once! And Mike managed to write a pedestrian melody!"
Jeff
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #41 on: July 23, 2013, 05:04:55 PM »

The late '70s Beach Boys always sounded like a karaoke band instrumentally. With the kind of money being thrown at them, you'd think they could try a little harder.

I'm gonna call this song trash. Not because it's necessarily bad, but it's about as rudimentary of songwriting as you could do. There are a million bands that could write a clunker like this. In fact, the bands at those rock & roll "camps" Brian always makes a cameo at have probably churned out stronger material.

Seriously, what's there to like? "Oh wow, they're capable of playing generic chords in time! Listen to that bass hammer away repetitively on the root note! Someone was able to get three of their fingers to plod on the keyboard all at once! And Mike managed to write a pedestrian melody!"

But ... but ... it's "Goin to the Beach," don't you see?  It has the word "Beach" in it.  "Beach" as in where people go surfing and spend their summers.  And the "Beach Boys."  Beach, I tell you.  So if you don't like this track, or you think it's a bad idea to market the box set with "Goin' to the Beach," or if you think they should be promoting that "arty" stuff, you're denying the group's history.  Don't be a denier.
Mr. Cohen
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #42 on: July 23, 2013, 05:11:17 PM »

At least when Mike worked on the song with Brian, Brian jazzed it up a little with a more creative bass line. But Mike probably that it was too weird. People want fun, not crazy Brian bass lines!
oldsurferdude
« Reply #43 on: July 23, 2013, 05:16:52 PM »

Christ that was appalling! What a sh*t song. Yeah thanks for that Mike. What a classic!
Brian couldn't save GTTB. Wonder what kind of tooth and nail fight mYke luHv put up to have this included on MIC. Let's face it, MIC wasn't gonna see the light of day without this work of art included.
« Last Edit: July 23, 2013, 05:18:01 PM by oldsurferdude » Logged
drbeachboy
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #44 on: July 23, 2013, 05:21:42 PM »

But ... but ... it's "Goin to the Beach," don't you see?  It has the word "Beach" in it.  "Beach" as in where people go surfing and spend their summers.  And the "Beach Boys."  Beach, I tell you.  So if you don't like this track, or you think it's a bad idea to market the box set with "Goin' to the Beach," or if you think they should be promoting that "arty" stuff, you're denying the group's history.  Don't be a denier.

Why the smart-ass remark? Are you making fun of people who just may like it? If you don't like it, that is fine, but really, is it necessary to ridicule others? Promoting anything other than what the general potential buyer may know isn't going to help sell the box set. Many in here are deluded if they think promoting Smile era music or the later stuff will help sell units. The old stuff sells. We have seen that for years. So far, Capitol has gotten it right. Also, I don't see this song any differently than I do any song from the KTSA time frame.
« Last Edit: July 23, 2013, 05:24:04 PM by drbeachboy » Logged

The Brianista Prayer

Oh Brian
Thou Art In Hawthorne,
Harmonied Be Thy name
Your Kingdom Come,
Your Steak Well Done,
On Stage As It Is In Studio,
Give Us This Day, Our Shortenin' Bread
And Forgive Us Our Bootlegs,
As We Also Have Forgiven Our Wife And Managers,
And Lead Us Not Into Kokomo,
But Deliver Us From Mike Love.
Amen.  ---hypehat
Mr. Cohen
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #45 on: July 23, 2013, 05:24:52 PM »

Yes, the old stuff sells. But "Goin' To The Beach" isn't the old stuff. It's part of Mike's late '70s/early '80s oeuvre that was a cynical, strained grab for the past that failed critically and popularly. OK, so Mike got it right once with "Kokomo". That doesn't redeem KTSA.
drbeachboy
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #46 on: July 23, 2013, 05:35:33 PM »

Yes, the old stuff sells. But "Goin' To The Beach" isn't the old stuff. It's part of Mike's late '70s/early '80s oeuvre that was a cynical, strained grab for the past that failed critically and popularly. OK, so Mike got it right once with "Kokomo". That doesn't redeem KTSA.
Huh? I don't get the KTSA-Kokomo relationship. Goin' To The Beach is styled after the old stuff, Kokomo was not. I absolutely agree with your remarks pertaining the late 70s, early 80s, but I think fans of the older stuff will gravitate more toward this than other late stuff. What I don't get is why because you don't like it that everyone should not like it?

The Brianista Prayer

Oh Brian
Thou Art In Hawthorne,
Harmonied Be Thy name
Your Kingdom Come,
Your Steak Well Done,
On Stage As It Is In Studio,
Give Us This Day, Our Shortenin' Bread
And Forgive Us Our Bootlegs,
As We Also Have Forgiven Our Wife And Managers,
And Lead Us Not Into Kokomo,
But Deliver Us From Mike Love.
Amen.  ---hypehat
Mr. Cohen
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #47 on: July 23, 2013, 05:51:23 PM »

I meant that he got the whole grabbing for the past thing right with "Kokomo", living up to the earlier fun in the sun image in a way that felt natural.  And it's the success of "Kokomo" that surely has motivated decisions like this, using the song "Goin' To The Beach" to promote a new box.

And I'm not saying everyone should hate this "new" song. I just wanted to voice my own displeasure with it. You can like it.
oldsurferdude
« Reply #48 on: July 23, 2013, 05:54:50 PM »

Here comes some more "woot abuse"- w00t! w00t! w00t! w00t! w00t! w00t! w00t! w00t! w00t!
SMiLE Brian
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #49 on: July 23, 2013, 05:57:35 PM »

I agree with Murry. The harder Mike tried to recapture the surf sound, the less it sounded like the early material. Songs like "goin to the beach" just don't have any heart.

And production aside, I’d so much rather hear a 14 year old David Marks shred some guitar on Chug-a-lug than hear a 51 year old Mike Love sing about bangin some chick in a swimming pool.-rab2591
gfx
Pages: 1 [2] 3 4 5 6 7 8 Go Up Print 
gfx
Jump to:  
gfx