gfxgfx

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
logo

gfx gfx
gfx
680751 Posts in 27615 Topics by 4068 Members - Latest Member: Dae Lims April 19, 2024, 10:46:08 PM
gfx*HomeHelpSearchCalendarLoginRegistergfx
gfxgfx
Pages: 1 ... 3 4 5 6 7 [8] Go Down Print
Author Topic: Goin' To The Beach  (Read 27620 times)
Gertie J.
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #175 on: July 31, 2013, 08:43:02 PM »

That film does seem to illustrate the limits of Mike (or anybody) being able to "write" a song on his own when he doesn't play an instrument. Some would argue that such a thing is virtually impossible, unless you Bobby McFerrin it out and vocalize everything (I recall reading supposedly Michael Jackson did something along those lines in writing some of his songs?). Having a group where everybody else plays instruments of course afforded Mike easy opportunity to get help, whether it constituted writing credit or not.

Well, we have someone on the board who writes songs without playing any instruments. And that's Swedish Frog,

Then, he hands it off to a collaborator who makes the arrangements and plays the instruments.

who is that? another frog? or panda? dinosaur? duckling?

dj, blogger, and hanger-on
zachrwolfe
« Reply #176 on: July 31, 2013, 08:45:35 PM »

« Last Edit: December 20, 2018, 08:52:12 PM by zatch » Logged
Micha
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile WWW
« Reply #177 on: August 01, 2013, 12:13:49 AM »

That film does seem to illustrate the limits of Mike (or anybody) being able to "write" a song on his own when he doesn't play an instrument. Some would argue that such a thing is virtually impossible, unless you Bobby McFerrin it out and vocalize everything (I recall reading supposedly Michael Jackson did something along those lines in writing some of his songs?). Having a group where everybody else plays instruments of course afforded Mike easy opportunity to get help, whether it constituted writing credit or not.

Well, we have someone on the board who writes songs without playing any instruments. And that's Swedish Frog,

Then, he hands it off to a collaborator who makes the arrangements and plays the instruments.

Sometimes a panda, sometimes a unicorn, but never a frog, as far as I'm told. Brian however relied heavily on a frog when arranging Love You reportedly.

Ceterum censeo SMiLEBrianum OSDumque esse excludendos banno.
Iron Horse-Apples
« Reply #178 on: August 01, 2013, 06:45:00 AM »

Sometimes a panda, sometimes a unicorn, but never a frog, as far as I'm told. Brian however relied heavily on a frog when arranging Love You reportedly.

Lick lick
HeyJude
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile WWW
« Reply #179 on: August 01, 2013, 07:06:56 AM »

I've often told people, playing an instrument isn't really required for writing a song.

Writing is about creativity, and the ability to hear music in your head at a basic level.

Playing is about practice and or training.

Mike could totally write his own songs, alone.

As I mentioned, it’s all very debatable, and also depends on the circumstances. Personally, I don’t feel that it is writing a complete song to come up with a single line melody, put lyrics to it, and then give it to someone else to compose the chords underneath that melody and lyrics. If that underlying series of chords is not part of the writing process, then I could take all the “Pet Sounds” backing tracks, write new lyrics with a different melody, and then claim 100% writing credit.

Yes, the melody helps to steer the chords in most cases. It’s a very collaborative process. But being able to play an instrument very much informs the actual writing process.

It’s complicated, and has been hashed out in court cases over the years regarding writing credits. There are even more extreme cases, like the “Whiter Shade of Pale” case from the last several years, where an even smaller contribution, one keyboard riff driving the song, was brought in years later as enough of a contribution to get credit despite two others having written all the lyrics, the melody behind those lyrics, and the underlying chords.

But if I was in a band and someone brought me a melody with lyrics and had me “arrange” the song by composing all of the chords, then I’d be pissed if I didn’t receive some sort of share of the songwriting credit.

THE BEACH BOYS OPINION PAGE IS ON FACEBOOK!!! http://www.facebook.com/beachboysopinion - Check out the original "BEACH BOYS OPINION PAGE" Blog - http://beachboysopinion.blogspot.com/
drbeachboy
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #180 on: August 01, 2013, 07:44:13 AM »

Also, there is the case of Joe Knot being given credit on Add Some Music To Your Day, where he claims that he added very little to song, yet Brian chose to include him as a writer. It sounds like it can be a very subjective thing or very concrete where there is a contract like with Lennon/McCartney.

The Brianista Prayer

Oh Brian
Thou Art In Hawthorne,
Harmonied Be Thy name
Your Kingdom Come,
Your Steak Well Done,
On Stage As It Is In Studio,
Give Us This Day, Our Shortenin' Bread
And Forgive Us Our Bootlegs,
As We Also Have Forgiven Our Wife And Managers,
And Lead Us Not Into Kokomo,
But Deliver Us From Mike Love.
Amen.  ---hypehat
LostArt
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #181 on: August 01, 2013, 07:46:33 AM »

Back in the '80s, a friend of mine who owned a studio called me up, told me about a girl who wanted to record three songs that she had written, and he asked if I wanted to play guitar on them.  I told him that I would, so a meeting was arranged between him and the songwriter and I.  When we got together, she handed me three sheets of paper with lyrics printed on them.  The lyrics weren't very good, but it was a gig, so I asked her about chord changes, melodies, etc., and she had no clue.  She took the first piece of paper and said, "This one is like Pat Benatar, you know?" 

Long story short...she was pretty weird, quite the 'space case', if you know what I mean.  I ended up writing the chord structures and the melodies, arranging the instruments, and teaching her the melodies (which she never did get right), as well as playing all of the instruments except for the drums.  I did get paid, but let me tell you, she got a deal. 

Now, who wrote those songs?
Mendota Heights
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #182 on: August 01, 2013, 08:43:18 AM »

It's me. Smiley

I have been dubbed Mr. Pet Sounds and Mr. Country Love by polite and honored board member Smile Brian. I hope I live up to those esteemed titles.
Wirestone
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #183 on: August 01, 2013, 09:21:50 AM »

I'm still not posting, but ...

If you watch the section of the special about GTTB, Mike explicitly says he played the song to the guys on the guitar. So he likely did come up with some sort of chord progression. I always interpreted his work with Brian as an attempt to flesh out a vocal arrangement, not necessarily re-composing the tune.
drbeachboy
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #184 on: August 01, 2013, 09:42:30 AM »

If you watch the section of the special about GTTB, Mike explicitly says he played the song to the guys on the guitar. So he likely did come up with some sort of chord progression. I always interpreted his work with Brian as an attempt to flesh out a vocal arrangement, not necessarily re-composing the tune.
I like this, a lot. Both sentences. Smiley

The Brianista Prayer

Oh Brian
Thou Art In Hawthorne,
Harmonied Be Thy name
Your Kingdom Come,
Your Steak Well Done,
On Stage As It Is In Studio,
Give Us This Day, Our Shortenin' Bread
And Forgive Us Our Bootlegs,
As We Also Have Forgiven Our Wife And Managers,
And Lead Us Not Into Kokomo,
But Deliver Us From Mike Love.
Amen.  ---hypehat
Micha
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile WWW
« Reply #185 on: August 01, 2013, 10:06:00 AM »

Lick lick

No, that's a toad. Cheesy

Ceterum censeo SMiLEBrianum OSDumque esse excludendos banno.
Smilin Ed H
« Reply #186 on: August 01, 2013, 11:19:21 AM »

Back in the '80s, a friend of mine who owned a studio called me up, told me about a girl who wanted to record three songs that she had written, and he asked if I wanted to play guitar on them.  I told him that I would, so a meeting was arranged between him and the songwriter and I.  When we got together, she handed me three sheets of paper with lyrics printed on them.  The lyrics weren't very good, but it was a gig, so I asked her about chord changes, melodies, etc., and she had no clue.  She took the first piece of paper and said, "This one is like Pat Benatar, you know?" 

Long story short...she was pretty weird, quite the 'space case', if you know what I mean.  I ended up writing the chord structures and the melodies, arranging the instruments, and teaching her the melodies (which she never did get right), as well as playing all of the instruments except for the drums.  I did get paid, but let me tell you, she got a deal. 

Now, who wrote those songs?

Yeah, but was she hot?
Niko
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #187 on: August 01, 2013, 11:04:33 PM »

What does Scott Totten think about the song?

runnersdialzero
Smiley Smile Associate

I WILL NEVER GO TO SCHOOL

View Profile
« Reply #188 on: August 03, 2013, 01:31:35 PM »

What does Scott Totten think about the song?

he messaged me on facebook a few days ago and said, verbatim, "lol hve u herd goin to the besch what a flaming pile of shit. total SHIT. SHIT FROM A DOG'S ASS, RUNNERZ"
« Last Edit: August 03, 2013, 01:33:46 PM by runnersdialzero » Logged

Tell me it's okay.
Tell me you still love me.
People make mistakes.
People make mistakes.
c-man
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile WWW
« Reply #189 on: August 04, 2013, 10:06:11 AM »

Not quite...Mike says, quote: "..I played it for Carl, he did a demo on the guitar...".  So when Mike "played it for Carl", he could have meant on a piano, on a guitar, on a kazoo, on his knees with a pair of spoons...but to your point, he didn't just say he "sang" it for Carl, so yes...Mike probably played it in rudimentary fashion on either piano or guitar, after which Carl did a proper arrangement on the guitar and demoed it as such, for presentation to the other guys.  After which Brian worked up the background vocal arrangement on the piano with Mike, as seen in the documentary a short time later.
« Last Edit: August 04, 2013, 10:07:08 AM by c-man » Logged
Pretty Funky
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #190 on: August 04, 2013, 06:40:27 PM »

« Last Edit: August 04, 2013, 08:02:16 PM by Pretty Funky » Logged
alf wiedersehen
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #191 on: August 10, 2013, 12:01:24 PM »

According to this article:
http://somethingelsereviews.com/2013/08/10/i-thought-it-was-a-great-song-mike-love-on-the-newly-released-beach-boys-track-goin-to-the-beach/

Carl and Randy Bachman are the authors of this song.

Edit: I have misread it; Mike Love did indeed write this song.
« Last Edit: August 10, 2013, 02:49:56 PM by Bubbly Waves » Logged
phirnis
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #192 on: August 10, 2013, 01:26:36 PM »

This is weird, doesn't feel like a Carl song at all, to me anyway. Both KTSA and especially Heartache are much better than this.
runnersdialzero
Smiley Smile Associate

I WILL NEVER GO TO SCHOOL

View Profile
« Reply #193 on: August 13, 2013, 03:07:18 PM »

This is weird, doesn't feel like a Carl song at all, to me anyway. Both KTSA and especially Heartache are much better than this.

Man, Carl didn't write "Goin' To The Beach." Cry

Tell me it's okay.
Tell me you still love me.
People make mistakes.
People make mistakes.
gfx
Pages: 1 ... 3 4 5 6 7 [8] Go Up Print 
gfx
Jump to:  
gfx