gfxgfx

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
logo

gfx gfx
gfx
680750 Posts in 27614 Topics by 4068 Members - Latest Member: Dae Lims April 19, 2024, 12:41:42 PM
gfx*HomeHelpSearchCalendarLoginRegistergfx
gfxgfx
Pages: 1 [2] 3 4 5 6 7 Go Down Print
Author Topic: BAD press, interviews, etc.  (Read 28710 times)
drbeachboy
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #25 on: July 18, 2013, 08:47:05 AM »

So in the world where everyone wants to continue the reunion, but Brian doesn't, Mike can't let Al & David join his band because the BRI licence doesn't allow him to? So Al & David go and join Brian and Al guns for Mike in the press? Does that make sense to you?
That is precisely why there is a license. It's Mike's license at the moment and he picks the band members. Yes, it makes perfect sense. There are two sides to every story. Just because Mike has the rights under the license, doesn't mean that Brian & Al have to be happy about it. They are a business and have to abide by their own company rules in regard to the license.

The Brianista Prayer

Oh Brian
Thou Art In Hawthorne,
Harmonied Be Thy name
Your Kingdom Come,
Your Steak Well Done,
On Stage As It Is In Studio,
Give Us This Day, Our Shortenin' Bread
And Forgive Us Our Bootlegs,
As We Also Have Forgiven Our Wife And Managers,
And Lead Us Not Into Kokomo,
But Deliver Us From Mike Love.
Amen.  ---hypehat
leggo of my ego
Smiley Smile Associate

Beach Boys Stomp

View Profile
« Reply #26 on: July 18, 2013, 09:09:29 AM »

I wonder how much he thinks about how his comments are viewed with the public.

He's the only one that comes off like a human being with words not scripted for him.

Tip Toe - SSSHHHhhh that sounds to much like the truth.  Grin

Hey Little Tomboy is creepy. Banging women by the pool is fun and conjures up warm summer thoughts a Beach Boys song should.

Necessity knows no law
A bootlegger knows no law
Therefore: A bootlegger is a necessity
Cabinessenceking
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #27 on: July 18, 2013, 09:09:56 AM »

I don't think Brian Wilson "needs Al" but I think Al takes a little pressure off him at this stage of the game lead vocal wise and dealing with the media. I think based on stage set up in the rehearsal (center stage) and Brian's acknowledgment of Al's voice Al will have a few more leads than we are accustomed to.

If only Al had shown this much balls 30-35 yrs ago, BB history might be different but hindsight is 20/20.

I don't think the general public really gives  a crap if Bruce is there or not either. At least with Al you can say here's the guy that sang lead on Help Me Rhonda and sang lead on WIBN and Sloop during the classic BB lineups.  WHat can you say with Bruce? Here's the guy who sang lead on Disney Girls? Come again?

Bruce who?  Shrug
JohnMill
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #28 on: July 18, 2013, 09:14:15 AM »

One recent twist to the story is that Mr. Love said in a July 8 interview that he misses his cousin and would love to work with him again.

"Well, what a wonderful thought," Mr. Jardine said. "That's very nice of him. I'd like to work with Mahatma Gandhi, too. Maybe that's the wrong [comparison]. I'd like to work with George Gershwin. Those are the things we wish for, but wishing is one thing and actually doing it is another. So if you really mean it, you come out and you work with us. But put your thoughts into action. That's my response to that

BRAVO!!

Its good to see Little Al speak his mind, he's certainly not pulling his punches and puking
the WISHy-washy, I wish This and I wish That junk that Michael has since the 50th ended.

(doesn't necessarily explain where Al and Dave evaporated to but none the less).  

Doesn't the fact that they are about to play shows with Brian Wilson explain where they went?

Also, if Brian was really the one responsible, wouldn't Al & David go and play with M&B?

Well what I'm speaking of is we haven't gotten any explanation from Mike Love as to what happened to Al Jardine & David Marks in relation to them touring with the M&B lineup.  He has gone on record and said Brian Wilson said "No more shows for me" but that doesn't explain the evaporation of David Marks and Al Jardine from the M&B lineup.

However as I mentioned the other day and this is pure speculation on my part but I think the reason Al and Dave aren't in the M&B lineup is due to financial reasons alone.  They are excess to the requirement as given the audience Mike Love is commanding each night, a two piece works just as well as a four piece.  Therefore if Al and Dave were brought into the M&B show they wouldn't necessarily draw in enough fans to justify what Mike Love would have to pay them out on a nightly basis.  As hypehat said "everything I've seen about Mike ever suggests that he's not actually interested in working with Al, just Brian...he'll work with Al as the price for working with Brian, but otherwise views him as unnecessary..."

Sheriff my take on Al Jardine taking these matters to the press is just this: Someone from that camp needs to be the mouthpiece in order to get their side of the story out to the press because obviously questions are going to be (and are being) asked regarding the C50.  Brian Wilson isn't particularly useful in this regard and usually limits his responses to prepared press releases and soundbites.  With all due respect to David Marks, he neither has the profile nor the standing to take on M&B at this point.  That leaves Al Jardine who has been a Beach Boy since day one (aside from a brief sojourn) to rattle the saber for the B-A-D camp.  It makes perfect sense to me.
« Last Edit: July 18, 2013, 09:15:14 AM by JohnMill » Logged

God Bless California
For It Marks My Faith To See
You're The Only State With The Sacred Honor
....to sink into the sea
leggo of my ego
Smiley Smile Associate

Beach Boys Stomp

View Profile
« Reply #29 on: July 18, 2013, 09:17:42 AM »

I don't think the general public really gives  a crap if Bruce is there or not either. At least with Al you can say here's the guy that sang lead on Help Me Rhonda and sang lead on WIBN and Sloop during the classic BB lineups. WHat can you say with Bruce?

Here's the guy with the cute shorts?  LOL

Hey Little Tomboy is creepy. Banging women by the pool is fun and conjures up warm summer thoughts a Beach Boys song should.

Necessity knows no law
A bootlegger knows no law
Therefore: A bootlegger is a necessity
drbeachboy
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #30 on: July 18, 2013, 09:23:14 AM »

One recent twist to the story is that Mr. Love said in a July 8 interview that he misses his cousin and would love to work with him again.

"Well, what a wonderful thought," Mr. Jardine said. "That's very nice of him. I'd like to work with Mahatma Gandhi, too. Maybe that's the wrong [comparison]. I'd like to work with George Gershwin. Those are the things we wish for, but wishing is one thing and actually doing it is another. So if you really mean it, you come out and you work with us. But put your thoughts into action. That's my response to that

BRAVO!!

Its good to see Little Al speak his mind, he's certainly not pulling his punches and puking
the WISHy-washy, I wish This and I wish That junk that Michael has since the 50th ended.

(doesn't necessarily explain where Al and Dave evaporated to but none the less).  

Doesn't the fact that they are about to play shows with Brian Wilson explain where they went?

Also, if Brian was really the one responsible, wouldn't Al & David go and play with M&B?

Well what I'm speaking of is we haven't gotten any explanation from Mike Love as to what happened to Al Jardine & David Marks in relation to them touring with the M&B lineup.  He has gone on record and said Brian Wilson said "No more shows for me" but that doesn't explain the evaporation of David Marks and Al Jardine from the M&B lineup.

However as I mentioned the other day and this is pure speculation on my part but I think the reason Al and Dave aren't in the M&B lineup is due to financial reasons alone.  They are excess to the requirement as given the audience Mike Love is commanding each night, a two piece works just as well as a four piece.  Therefore if Al and Dave were brought into the M&B show they wouldn't necessarily draw in enough fans to justify what Mike Love would have to pay them out on a nightly basis.  As hypehat said "everything I've seen about Mike ever suggests that he's not actually interested in working with Al, just Brian...he'll work with Al as the price for working with Brian, but otherwise views him as unnecessary..."

Sheriff my take on Al Jardine taking these matters to the press is just this: Someone from that camp needs to be the mouthpiece in order to get their side of the story out to the press because obviously questions are going to be (and are being) asked regarding the C50.  Brian Wilson isn't particularly useful in this regard and usually limits his responses to prepared press releases and soundbites.  With all due respect to David Marks, he neither has the profile nor the standing to take on M&B at this point.  That leaves Al Jardine who has been a Beach Boy since day one (aside from a brief sojourn) to rattle the saber for the B-A-D camp.  It makes perfect sense to me.
Mike has to work with Al if he wants to record anything under the Beach Boys name. He has no such restriction under the license for touring. I believe Mike understands that if and when he works with Brian again it will be in the guise of writing and performing as The Beach Boys, and that includes Al, part & parcel.

The Brianista Prayer

Oh Brian
Thou Art In Hawthorne,
Harmonied Be Thy name
Your Kingdom Come,
Your Steak Well Done,
Amen.  ---hypehat
hypehat
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #31 on: July 18, 2013, 09:26:27 AM »

So in the world where everyone wants to continue the reunion, but Brian doesn't, Mike can't let Al & David join his band because the BRI licence doesn't allow him to? So Al & David go and join Brian and Al guns for Mike in the press? Does that make sense to you?
That is precisely why there is a license. It's Mike's license at the moment and he picks the band members. Yes, it makes perfect sense. There are two sides to every story. Just because Mike has the rights under the license, doesn't mean that Brian & Al have to be happy about it. They are a business and have to abide by their own company rules in regard to the license.

This more to the myriad responses than yrs specifically, Doc...

So Mike can say to Al, 'I didn't stop the reunion, Brian stopped the reunion, but anyway I just don't want to work with you because [Delete as applicable] you're short/you never play that guitar anyway/you always request foie gras and diamonds on the rider/you got a bra thrown at you and I didn't/you hang out with even weirder mystics than I do*, and it's my band and nyah'.

So Al goes to the guy who put the shits on the reunion, and speaks very candid... lies(?) in interviews?

You say there's two sides.

Mike's latest is that Brian called the reunion off. His old position was 'shows over kids, but COME SEE THE BEACH BOYS KEEP THE SUMMER ALIVE WITH THE GRUFFALO OR SHAMU'. I don't think Mike has expressed the desire to work with anyone else other than Brian, even in a live context (bar that one time Al joined in at a Reagan bicentennial or whatever and David doing a few dates pre-C50). And Al has a good point, in that all things are possible - Mike just whines about 'mysterious forces' or some sh*t. Try harder. Unless Joe Thomas threatened Mike with a gun or whatever.

Brian, Al and David (did he weigh in at the end?) have always said that Mike put the kibosh on it. Brian, or his people, has also crucially extended an olive branch to Al and David now after this. Al and David aren't just touring with Brian, they're on his new records too.

Am I missing another side? (this is all just sh*t we've been recycling since about this time last year anyway)

All roads lead to Kokomo. Exhaustive research in time travel has conclusively proven that there is no alternate universe WITHOUT Kokomo. It would've happened regardless.
What is this "life" thing you speak of ?

Quote from: Al Jardine
Syncopate it? In front of all these people?!
drbeachboy
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #32 on: July 18, 2013, 09:38:02 AM »

This more to the myriad responses than yrs specifically, Doc...

So Mike can say to Al, 'I didn't stop the reunion, Brian stopped the reunion, but anyway I just don't want to work with you because [Delete as applicable] you're short/you never play that guitar anyway/you always request foie gras and diamonds on the rider/you got a bra thrown at you and I didn't/you hang out with even weirder mystics than I do*, and it's my band and nyah'.

So Al goes to the guy who put the shits on the reunion, and speaks very candid... lies(?) in interviews?

You say there's two sides.

Mike's latest is that Brian called the reunion off. His old position was 'shows over kids, but COME SEE THE BEACH BOYS KEEP THE SUMMER ALIVE WITH THE GRUFFALO OR SHAMU'. I don't think Mike has expressed the desire to work with anyone else other than Brian, even in a live context (bar that one time Al joined in at a Reagan bicentennial or whatever and David doing a few dates pre-C50). And Al has a good point, in that all things are possible - Mike just whines about 'mysterious forces' or some sh*t. Try harder. Unless Joe Thomas threatened Mike with a gun or whatever.

Brian, Al and David (did he weigh in at the end?) have always said that Mike put the kibosh on it. Brian, or his people, has also crucially extended an olive branch to Al and David now after this. Al and David aren't just touring with Brian, they're on his new records too.

Am I missing another side? (this is all just sh*t we've been recycling since about this time last year anyway)

Essentially, yes, to all that you wrote. Mike has the license, and for touring can even tell Brian no, let alone Al or David. Mike will most likely only work with Brian within the Beach Boys structure, so to record Mike has to include Al & Brian.

Let's say Mike called off the reunion due to dealing Brian's management. He can do that. When that deal ended he did not have to include Brian & Al in any touring arrangements. I mean it is all business from that standpoint. That's the business side that really sucks for fans.

The Brianista Prayer

Oh Brian
Thou Art In Hawthorne,
Harmonied Be Thy name
Your Kingdom Come,
Your Steak Well Done,
Amen.  ---hypehat
hypehat
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #33 on: July 18, 2013, 09:45:02 AM »

Aye, it does suck.

I can't believe that Brian's management is so difficult for Mike though...

All roads lead to Kokomo. Exhaustive research in time travel has conclusively proven that there is no alternate universe WITHOUT Kokomo. It would've happened regardless.

drbeachboy
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #34 on: July 18, 2013, 09:49:22 AM »

Aye, it does suck.

I can't believe that Brian's management is so difficult for Mike though...
It was just a for instance, theoretical example in this case. Though, from what has been said in here, they can be difficult to deal with.

The Brianista Prayer

Oh Brian
Thou Art In Hawthorne,
Harmonied Be Thy name
Your Kingdom Come,
Your Steak Well Done,
Amen.  ---hypehat
hypehat
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #35 on: July 18, 2013, 09:53:43 AM »

Yeah, but I never quite got the evil spectre of Melinda thing that goes on here. Spouse has best interests of mentally ill pensioner husband at heart, pictures at ten....

Wirestone
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #36 on: July 18, 2013, 09:57:03 AM »

Mike's quote is of dubious veracity. It appeared once, in a notoriously unreliable British tabloid. Until we hear some other on-the-record remarks from Mike in a legitimate source, I'd say his earlier comments -- in which he takes responsibility for ending the reunion -- should stand.
JohnMill
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #37 on: July 18, 2013, 10:00:10 AM »

Yeah, but I never quite got the evil spectre of Melinda thing that goes on here. Spouse has best interests of mentally ill pensioner husband at heart, pictures at ten....

Has anyone ever suggested that her intentions were anything but?  As drbeachboy said working with Brian (and by extension) his management can be difficult but wouldn't you think that that would be something which is known going in? 

God Bless California
For It Marks My Faith To See
You're The Only State With The Sacred Honor
....to sink into the sea
the professor
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #38 on: July 18, 2013, 10:01:03 AM »

Well, all that matters is what happens next. . . . .I care about nothing accept the BB being together for an album and shows. . . .everything else is just consolation. . . .BW solo albums, various shows--all wonderful but not what fulfills our deepest dreams and needs.
Nicko1234
« Reply #39 on: July 18, 2013, 10:02:03 AM »

Mike's quote is of dubious veracity. It appeared once, in a notoriously unreliable British tabloid. Until we hear some other on-the-record remarks from Mike in a legitimate source, I'd say his earlier comments -- in which he takes responsibility for ending the reunion -- should stand.

Hasnt AGD said that Mike stands by what he said and there is proof or whatever?
hypehat
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #40 on: July 18, 2013, 10:04:53 AM »

Has anyone ever suggested that her intentions were anything but?  As drbeachboy said working with Brian (and by extension) his management can be difficult but wouldn't you think that that would be something which is known going in? 

I mean, it's nowhere near as prevalent as it used to be (Foskett became the new scapegoat for a while), but whenever there is suspicious rumblings about Brian's camp it's been taken to mean 'Melinda'.

Cam Mott
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #41 on: July 18, 2013, 10:06:07 AM »

It's always been said they agreed to go back to what they were doing. Mike already had a band which he went back to. Brian, Al and David have agreed to do something together. What's the problem?

"Bring me the head of Carmen Sandiego" Lynne "The Chief" Thigpen
ontor pertawst
Smiley Smile Associate

L♡VE ALWAYS WINS

View Profile WWW
« Reply #42 on: July 18, 2013, 10:07:11 AM »

Well, all that matters is what happens next. . . . .I care about nothing accept the BB being together for an album and shows. . . .everything else is just consolation. . . .BW solo albums, various shows--all wonderful but not what fulfills our deepest dreams and needs.

I don't recall appointing you spokesman of my deepest dreams and needs, but then again I do some weird stuff late at night. I wish I had the confidence to be able to speak for vast swathes of people instead of just myself... then again, I'd probably end up using that power for evil and invading Poland.

I'm really glad BDW is on a creative roll and can't freakin' wait till the Greek Theatre gig, which sounds like it'll be even more interesting than the imminent run of shows.

I'm sure the smell of money and more bigtime venues after a few years of SeaWorld and RV rallies will bring Mike back to the negotiating table, but this amazing band with David cranking out twangy notes and Al singing a few more songs than last year, with the diabolical Doctor von Mertens doing the setlist instead of Mike Love -- helluva consolation prize.

Also, SETENDDATESETENDDATESETENDDATESETENDDATESETENDDATESETENDDATESETENDDATESETENDDATESETENDDATE
SETENDDATESETENDDATESETENDDATESETENDDATESETENDDATESETENDDATESETENDDATESETENDDATESETENDDATE
SETENDDATESETENDDATE.
« Last Edit: July 18, 2013, 10:10:04 AM by ontor pertawst » Logged
Nicko1234
« Reply #43 on: July 18, 2013, 10:11:28 AM »

I don't recall appointing you spokesman of my deepest dreams and needs, but then again I do some weird stuff late at night.

I'm really glad BDW is on a creative roll and can't freakin' wait till the Greek Theatre gig, which sounds like it'll be even more interesting than the imminent run of shows.

I'm sure the smell of money and more bigtime venues after a few years of SeaWorld and RV rallies will bring Mike back to the negotiating table, but this amazing band with David cranking out twangy notes and Al singing a few more songs than last year, with the diabolical Doctor von Mertens doing the setlist instead of Mike Love -- helluva consolation prize.

I`m not sure Mike would make more money on a reunion tour. He said he was making less money last year and considering the size of the touring operation, that is believable.

And, rightly or wrongly, I do not think Mike cares at all about the venue size. He will play the opening of a bowling alley if he is being paid and if there is a young lady he can doink at the end.
Sheriff John Stone
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #44 on: July 18, 2013, 10:32:36 AM »

It's no surprise that he'll be unemployed again in a few months.

I'm always interested to read your points Sheriff, but I don't think you have any inside knowledge about whether Al will be unemployed again any time soon. As far as I know, he will likely continue touring with Brian, as he apparently has a major part to play on Brian's next album.

Do you have any inside knowledge on Brian's next tour and the amount of Al's vocals on Brian's upcoming solo album? Wink
Sheriff John Stone
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #45 on: July 18, 2013, 10:54:21 AM »

While this "tour" might need a mouthpiece to handle the interviews, I'm not sure one is necessary for the purpose of "getting their side of the story out". I don't know about Al and David, but I'm sure that Brian comes complete with wife, managers, attorneys, and advisers. All they had to do was come up with a statement - accurate, to the point, and non-confrontational - and go with that. The press would have to respect that.

Look, this is all I'm saying...You're right, Al has been a Beach Boy since Day One. He has literally seen it all. Since 1965 he has witnessed the press coverage of the band's drug abuse, alcoholism, mental illness, being dropped by record companies, bankruptcies, lawsuits, weddings/divorces, firings, legacy, and death. I hoped that Al would've been tired of all that negativity. I hoped that he would've LEARNED FROM IT by putting all of that behind him - and trying to avoid any further negativity and controversy. But, he didn't. The end of the C50 reunion could've and should've been handled better; that's an understatement. But, Al keeps stoking the fire and letting it continue to spread with his choice of comments. I don't think it's a matter of who is right or wrong. The issue is to handle the matter in a different way in the media. I think it should be handled behind closed doors and - just for this one issue - don't give the press anything.
Nicko1234
« Reply #46 on: July 18, 2013, 11:13:08 AM »

I doubt it is that calculated a thing. More that they want to shift a few more tickets and Al is happier to do interviews than Brian is.
Wirestone
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #47 on: July 18, 2013, 11:22:07 AM »

It's always been said they agreed to go back to what they were doing. Mike already had a band which he went back to. Brian, Al and David have agreed to do something together. What's the problem?

Because they actually didn't agree at all?
Nicko1234
« Reply #48 on: July 18, 2013, 11:23:45 AM »

Because they actually didn't agree at all?

They obviously did at one point...
Wirestone
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #49 on: July 18, 2013, 11:25:51 AM »

Hasnt AGD said that Mike stands by what he said and there is proof or whatever?

So he did. Well, I'll shake my head at that, then. Bizarre to me that Mike would change his story several months into his PR push for the summer. But these are the Beach Boys, after all, and by definition almost every choice they make is wrong.

(And, this is coming back to me now ... Melinda has said in past years that Brian changes his mind daily about touring as a solo artist. So it's apparently not a new thing. But I would doubt it's truly what caused the C50 to end, especially given that BAD were keen enough to continue that they're now making three albums together and touring ...)
« Last Edit: July 18, 2013, 11:34:03 AM by Wirestone » Logged
gfx
Pages: 1 [2] 3 4 5 6 7 Go Up Print 
gfx
Jump to:  
gfx