gfxgfx

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
logo

gfx gfx
gfx
681103 Posts in 27629 Topics by 4067 Members - Latest Member: Dae Lims May 23, 2024, 03:22:40 PM
gfx*HomeHelpSearchCalendarLoginRegistergfx
gfxgfx
Pages: [1] 2 Go Down Print
Author Topic: Early version of "River Song"  (Read 5063 times)
Jim V.
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« on: July 11, 2013, 11:11:52 PM »

This thread makes me feel like a total newbie because I feel that I should know the truth about this after years of fandom, but for the life of me I just can't remember. So here goes...

That version of "River Song" from earlier in the '70s where a clearer-voiced Dennis sings the lead, where is it from? Is it a Beach Boys studio recording, is it a "solo" Denny Wilson recording, or is it a rehearsal or something? I seem to recall it being a rehearsal, but I'm not sure that I'm right.

Anyways, after listening to it again earlier, I'm kinda surprised it didn't make it onto Made In California (if it was indeed a Beach Boys recording), since it's pretty different from the Pacific Ocean Blue version, and I'm sure Beach Boys aficionados wouldn't have minded it.
Cabinessenceking
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #1 on: July 12, 2013, 01:04:37 AM »

This thread makes me feel like a total newbie because I feel that I should know the truth about this after years of fandom, but for the life of me I just can't remember. So here goes...

That version of "River Song" from earlier in the '70s where a clearer-voiced Dennis sings the lead, where is it from? Is it a Beach Boys studio recording, is it a "solo" Denny Wilson recording, or is it a rehearsal or something? I seem to recall it being a rehearsal, but I'm not sure that I'm right.

Anyways, after listening to it again earlier, I'm kinda surprised it didn't make it onto Made In California (if it was indeed a Beach Boys recording), since it's pretty different from the Pacific Ocean Blue version, and I'm sure Beach Boys aficionados wouldn't have minded it.

Reason it's not on MiC is probably that there are so many Dennis songs being released (since he penned much of the unreleased material).

Also, Myke Luhv decided that the world was finally ready to hear Goin' To The Beach! Grin
SonicVolcano
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #2 on: July 12, 2013, 02:31:32 AM »

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kJeHcHzGyZQ

This version?
Andrew G. Doe
Smiley Smile Associate

The triumph of The Hickey Script !

View Profile WWW
« Reply #3 on: July 12, 2013, 06:49:43 AM »

There's an excellent reason Dennis sounds clear-voiced on this: it's Blondie (who sang lead on the live performances). Recorded in 1973. There was a KABC TV clip that featured this recording: the voice-over stated it was a rehearsal for the upcoming tour, which would have been the August 12-September 3 sweep of the east coast and midwest. The didn't do "River Song" at every stop, but certainly did on 8/24 at Dillon Stadium in Hartford CT.
« Last Edit: July 12, 2013, 07:04:48 AM by Andrew G. Doe » Logged

The four sweetest words in my vocabulary: "This poster is ignored".
Jim V.
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #4 on: July 12, 2013, 07:33:42 AM »

There's an excellent reason Dennis sounds clear-voiced on this: it's Blondie (who sang lead on the live performances). Recorded in 1973. There was a KABC TV clip that featured this recording: the voice-over stated it was a rehearsal for the upcoming tour, which would have been the August 12-September 3 sweep of the east coast and midwest. The didn't do "River Song" at every stop, but certainly did on 8/24 at Dillon Stadium in Hartford CT.

I trust you on this kinda stuff Andrew, but that is not Blondie on the lead. That is Dennis. Those are Denny's vocal inflections. In fact, it almost sounds like the POB version, but just a touch sweeter sounding.

But yeah, I have to imagine that they have a live version in the archives (or maybe they don't). Or at least a cleaner version of this rehearsal. Definitely think it shoulda made it, and I really don't have complaints about MIC otherwise.
AndrewHickey
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #5 on: July 12, 2013, 08:15:15 AM »

I trust you on this kinda stuff Andrew, but that is not Blondie on the lead. That is Dennis. Those are Denny's vocal inflections. In fact, it almost sounds like the POB version, but just a touch sweeter sounding.

Yeah, the version AGD's talking about is an actual early version. This is just a different mix of the POB track, with a different vocal take. AGD was talking about "the version from earlier in the 70s"

The Smiley Smile ignore function: http://andrewhickey.info/the-smiley-smile-ignore-button-sort-of/
Most recent update 03/12/15
Jason
« Reply #6 on: July 12, 2013, 09:26:44 AM »

River Song was played on at least a couple gigs on the summer 1973 tour - in Hartford as Andrew mentioned, and also at Nassau Coliseum in Uniondale, NY the previous day.
Andrew G. Doe
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile WWW
« Reply #7 on: July 12, 2013, 09:49:44 AM »

But yeah, I have to imagine that they have a live version in the archives (or maybe they don't). Or at least a cleaner version of this rehearsal. Definitely think it shoulda made it, and I really don't have complaints about MIC otherwise.

That youtube version is the 1973 rehearsal for the tour - I have a copy of the audio for the KABC TV report, and it's the exact same track. And listen again - the vocal is Blondie, with DW occasionally doubling. Denny's voice in 73 was already deteriorating and it was never, ever that clear.

Jim V.
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #8 on: July 12, 2013, 10:32:02 AM »

That youtube version is the 1973 rehearsal for the tour - I have a copy of the audio for the KABC TV report, and it's the exact same track. And listen again - the vocal is Blondie, with DW occasionally doubling. Denny's voice in 73 was already deteriorating and it was never, ever that clear.

Hmmm. Interesting. Thanks for the info Mr. Doe. So this is indeed a rehearsal, and it is indeed Blondie singing (with occasional Dennis doubling).

Which would mean that Andrew Hickey's assertion that this is an alternate take from Pacific Ocean Blue is incorrect.

However, did The Beach Boys ever attempt any official recording of "River Song"? Or was doing it live close as they got?
Jon Stebbins
Honored Guest

View Profile
« Reply #9 on: July 12, 2013, 10:36:09 AM »

Hmmm. Interesting. Thanks for the info Mr. Doe. So this is indeed a rehearsal, and it is indeed Blondie singing (with occasional Dennis doubling).

Which would mean that Andrew Hickey's assertion that this is an alternate take from Pacific Ocean Blue is incorrect.

However, did The Beach Boys ever attempt any official recording of "River Song"? Or was doing it live close as they got?
Sorry but this... https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kJeHcHzGyZQ is the early early studio version with the basic track being the same as the released POB version albeit in a much different mix. All the lead vocals on this are Dennis with some Carl harmony and doubling. You can even hear them bringing the tape/track up at the beginning. No Blondie on this as he was gone by the time it was recorded. He does sing lead on the couple of live versions that float around from the '73 tour. Andrew Hickey's assertion that this is the 1974 in progress studio cut is correct.
« Last Edit: July 12, 2013, 10:41:26 AM by Jon Stebbins » Logged
MBE
« Reply #10 on: July 12, 2013, 10:43:34 AM »

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=81PcyF7Ygl8
This is how Blondie sang it, the rehearsal version is to my ears Dennis. I think Dennis could still sing well in 1973 if the live Forever is anything to go on.
Jon Stebbins
Honored Guest

View Profile
« Reply #11 on: July 12, 2013, 10:46:19 AM »

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=81PcyF7Ygl8
This is how Blondie sang it, the rehearsal version is to my ears Dennis. I think Dennis could still sing well in 1973 if the live Forever is anything to go on.
Again, that version I commented on https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kJeHcHzGyZQ... is not a rehearsal. its an early early mix/vocal take circa '74 of the eventual POB track, much of what you hear there remains on the released POB track, some of it buried further down in the mix.
« Last Edit: July 12, 2013, 10:51:58 AM by Jon Stebbins » Logged
Mikie
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #12 on: July 12, 2013, 11:20:14 AM »

Yeah, the Hartford and Nassau boots have the early River Song on there.

There was a radio interview in early 1976 and I'm trying to remember what it was........where the '73 track of River Song was played. Carl commented on something during a phone interview with a DJ or commentator. I think he was asked about 15 Big Ones because he commented that "the new album will consist of an album of oldies and an album of new songs". I can't remember. All I know is this guy was talking and the '73 River Song track was playing in the background and he intoduced the soundbite by saying "We're with Carl Wilson of the Beach Boys". Anybody else hear that one?
« Last Edit: July 12, 2013, 11:51:32 AM by Mikie » Logged

I, I love the colorful clothes she wears, and she's already working on my brain. I only looked in her eyes, but I picked up something I just can't explain. I, I bet I know what she’s like, and I can feel how right she’d be for me. It’s weird how she comes in so strong, and I wonder what she’s picking up from me. I hope it’s good, good, good, good vibrations, yeah!!
Wrightfan
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #13 on: July 12, 2013, 11:23:47 AM »

Man, I'd give my left AND right nut to hear River Song if the band could've done it during the Surf's Up era.
Andrew G. Doe
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile WWW
« Reply #14 on: July 12, 2013, 12:02:50 PM »

There was a radio interview in early 1976 and I'm trying to remember what it was........where the '73 track of River Song was played. Carl commented on something during a phone interview with a DJ or commentator. I think he was asked about 15 Big Ones because he commented that "the new album will consist of an album of oldies and an album of new songs". I can't remember. All I know is this guy was talking and the '73 River Song track was playing in the background and he intoduced the soundbite by saying "We're with Carl Wilson of the Beach Boys". Anybody else hear that one?

Think you're slightly misremembering the spring National Album Countdown show where Carl did a phoner: I have that tape, and the DJ does say that... but the track played is the 'hot' mix of "Rock & Roll Music".

Andrew G. Doe
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile WWW
« Reply #15 on: July 12, 2013, 12:04:48 PM »

Sorry but this... https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kJeHcHzGyZQ is the early early studio version with the basic track being the same as the released POB version albeit in a much different mix. All the lead vocals on this are Dennis with some Carl harmony and doubling. You can even hear them bringing the tape/track up at the beginning. No Blondie on this as he was gone by the time it was recorded. He does sing lead on the couple of live versions that float around from the '73 tour. Andrew Hickey's assertion that this is the 1974 in progress studio cut is correct.

If Jon says so, then I defer, of course. Memo to self - schedule appointment to audiologist.

zachrwolfe
« Reply #16 on: July 12, 2013, 12:25:32 PM »

« Last Edit: December 20, 2018, 08:57:46 PM by zatch » Logged
Mikie
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #17 on: July 12, 2013, 12:44:40 PM »

Think you're slightly misremembering the spring National Album Countdown show where Carl did a phoner: I have that tape, and the DJ does say that... but the track played is the 'hot' mix of "Rock & Roll Music".

Not surprised I'm misremembering. I initially typed that Rock & Roll Music reference, but then deleted it, thinking it was a different interview. I have it mixed up - I don't think it was the Best Summers Of Our Lives radio special. I have it on a cassette somewhere. I know for a fact River Song is definitely playing in the background at the beginning. Maybe C-Man or Steve Mayo remembers. Big Steve, you out there?

Tell me I'm not insane, Van Dyke!
« Last Edit: July 12, 2013, 12:50:07 PM by Mikie » Logged

I, I love the colorful clothes she wears, and she's already working on my brain. I only looked in her eyes, but I picked up something I just can't explain. I, I bet I know what she’s like, and I can feel how right she’d be for me. It’s weird how she comes in so strong, and I wonder what she’s picking up from me. I hope it’s good, good, good, good vibrations, yeah!!
pixletwin
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #18 on: July 12, 2013, 12:50:02 PM »

The drums at the end get pretty wild on that demo version. Who is it?
Jason
« Reply #19 on: July 12, 2013, 12:51:47 PM »

If I remember correctly, the drums on River Song were done by Ricky. Both the demo and the album version.
Mikie
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #20 on: July 12, 2013, 12:52:58 PM »

Gotta be Rick.  Dennis had a dilapidated hand.....

Rocker
Smiley Smile Associate

"Too dumb for New York City, too ugly for L.A."

View Profile WWW
« Reply #21 on: July 12, 2013, 02:01:10 PM »

Did the Beach Boys record any more vocals for this? The song could've become a Beach Boys classic imo. You got so much in there that made them so fascinating among other things. The great harmony vocals in the beginning, that cool bassline (rollin', rollin'....) which was perfect for a Mike Love vocal. Then you have this almost Smile/Good Vibrations structure with different musical motifs and even a connection with the water.

a diseased bunch of mo'fos if there ever was one… their beauty is so awesome that listening to them at their best is like being in some vast dream cathedral decorated with a thousand gleaming American pop culture icons.

- Lester Bangs on The Beach Boys

PRO SHOT BEACH BOYS CONCERTS - LIST

To sum it up, they blew it, they blew it consistently, they continue to blow it, it is tragic and this pathological problem caused The Beach Boys' greatest music to be so underrated by the general public.

- Jack Rieley
Andrew G. Doe
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile WWW
« Reply #22 on: July 12, 2013, 02:07:42 PM »

Not surprised I'm misremembering. I initially typed that Rock & Roll Music reference, but then deleted it, thinking it was a different interview. I have it mixed up - I don't think it was the Best Summers Of Our Lives radio special. I have it on a cassette somewhere. I know for a fact River Song is definitely playing in the background at the beginning. Maybe C-Man or Steve Mayo remembers. Big Steve, you out there?

Tell me I'm not insane, Van Dyke!

Pretty sure what you thinking of is the KABC TV clip from spring 1973. Would love to see the video of that.

hypehat
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #23 on: July 12, 2013, 02:59:12 PM »

If I remember correctly, the drums on River Song were done by Ricky. Both the demo and the album version.

Ed Roach mentioned once on here that he mixed this version, and loved the bongos so much he brought them up at the end. Well played, Ed  Grin

All roads lead to Kokomo. Exhaustive research in time travel has conclusively proven that there is no alternate universe WITHOUT Kokomo. It would've happened regardless.
What is this "life" thing you speak of ?

Quote from: Al Jardine
Syncopate it? In front of all these people?!
gfac22
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #24 on: July 12, 2013, 06:10:30 PM »

That's right, it's actually the same exact drum track on both.
gfx
Pages: [1] 2 Go Up Print 
gfx
Jump to:  
gfx