gfxgfx

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
logo

gfx gfx
gfx
680753 Posts in 27615 Topics by 4068 Members - Latest Member: Dae Lims April 20, 2024, 07:00:17 AM
gfx*HomeHelpSearchCalendarLoginRegistergfx
gfxgfx
Pages: 1 ... 6 7 8 9 10 [11] Go Down Print
Author Topic: MIKE LOVE WANTS BRIAN WILSON BACK IN THE BEACH BOYS  (Read 33775 times)
SMiLE Brian
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #250 on: July 12, 2013, 05:37:39 PM »

I think Mike is starting to look like gollum as well. OSD is on the quest to destroy the one ring....

And production aside, I’d so much rather hear a 14 year old David Marks shred some guitar on Chug-a-lug than hear a 51 year old Mike Love sing about bangin some chick in a swimming pool.-rab2591
Pinder's Gone To Kokomo And Back Again
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #251 on: July 12, 2013, 05:41:27 PM »

I think Mike is starting to look like gollum as well. OSD is on the quest to destroy the one ring....

Didn't The Beatles wanna do their own movie version of Lord Of The Rings???

Maybe Mike brandished the ring to Paul in India and said "Back off, pal" ........ "after I help you write Back In The USSR"! Wink
ontor pertawst
Smiley Smile Associate

L♡VE ALWAYS WINS

View Profile WWW
« Reply #252 on: July 12, 2013, 05:47:20 PM »

WHEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEN!

Hey do-wop bam merry dol! ring a ding dong dillo!
Ring a dong! hop along! fal lal down to Kokomo!
Tom Bom bam, jolly Tom-a-lang, Tom Bombadillo!

Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #253 on: July 12, 2013, 06:15:57 PM »

WHEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEN!

some tiny hobbit tries to put me down and says The Shire's great! I tell him right away, now what's the matter Frodo, ain't you hear of Mordor? It's number one in Middle Earth!

Gertie J.
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #254 on: July 12, 2013, 06:29:40 PM »

you guys are cookin'!!!!

dj, blogger, and hanger-on
SMiLE Brian
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #255 on: July 12, 2013, 06:36:18 PM »

i think you're onto sumthin'......

Ah!!!!!

The reason he wears so many is so the ONE won't stand out!
The ONE ring also tells Mike lyrics for his beach songs. Watch for Love/One Ring credits on BBs albums.

And production aside, I’d so much rather hear a 14 year old David Marks shred some guitar on Chug-a-lug than hear a 51 year old Mike Love sing about bangin some chick in a swimming pool.-rab2591
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #256 on: July 12, 2013, 06:41:39 PM »

Ah!!!!!

The ONE ring also tells Mike lyrics for his beach songs. Watch for Love/One Ring credits on BBs albums.

I wonder if Sauraman would make Bruce put on some pants at the gig?
SMiLE Brian
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #257 on: July 12, 2013, 06:44:50 PM »

Ah!!!!!

Nah, Bruce was the general of his army that attacked Helm's Deep.

Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #258 on: July 12, 2013, 07:13:50 PM »

Ah!!!!!

Nah, Bruce was the general of his army that attacked Helm's Deep.

He showed them success hating Dwarfs, Hobbits, and Elves who wears thew shorts!!!!
JohnMill
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #259 on: July 12, 2013, 09:05:30 PM »

Yeah they did.  It was shortlisted as a potential follow-up to "Help!" and it even went so far as the decision being made to cast John Lennon as Frodo.  Another potential project was apparently a cowboy western entitled "A Talent For Loving" although little beyond the title is known about the project.  Neither of these proposed ideas obviously went very far and allegedly The Beatles hoped that "Yellow Submarine" would instead fulfill their obligations to United Artists for a 3rd feature.  Apparently despite the fact that YS featured The Beatles in a brief cameo at the end of the film, UA said "no dice" and therefore "Let It Be" ultimately became the means of fulfilling the contract to UA.*

* Strangely though and quite contrastingly, "Let It Be" was originally supposed to be a made for television special instead of a feature film so I don't know how that would've fulfilled the UA contract.  In the end it all obviously worked out well except for the band themselves of course.  Embarrassed

Edit: As for the two scrapped films:  My only guess as to why they never got underway (even though a potential 3rd film was much discussed in late 1965 by the band) is that they didn't want to box themselves into writing a bunch of country western tunes and as far as LOTR goes probably felt uncomfortable writing music for a book/screenplay that was obviously not written with them specifically in mind.
« Last Edit: July 12, 2013, 09:11:46 PM by JohnMill » Logged

God Bless California
For It Marks My Faith To See
You're The Only State With The Sacred Honor
....to sink into the sea
Dudd
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #260 on: July 13, 2013, 01:15:19 AM »

Yeah they did.  It was shortlisted as a potential follow-up to "Help!" and it even went so far as the decision being made to cast John Lennon as Frodo.  Another potential project was apparently a cowboy western entitled "A Talent For Loving" although little beyond the title is known about the project.  Neither of these proposed ideas obviously went very far and allegedly The Beatles hoped that "Yellow Submarine" would instead fulfill their obligations to United Artists for a 3rd feature.  Apparently despite the fact that YS featured The Beatles in a brief cameo at the end of the film, UA said "no dice" and therefore "Let It Be" ultimately became the means of fulfilling the contract to UA.*

* Strangely though and quite contrastingly, "Let It Be" was originally supposed to be a made for television special instead of a feature film so I don't know how that would've fulfilled the UA contract.  In the end it all obviously worked out well except for the band themselves of course.  Embarrassed

Edit: As for the two scrapped films:  My only guess as to why they never got underway (even though a potential 3rd film was much discussed in late 1965 by the band) is that they didn't want to box themselves into writing a bunch of country western tunes and as far as LOTR goes probably felt uncomfortable writing music for a book/screenplay that was obviously not written with them specifically in mind.
Legend has it that the director of the Beatles LOTR was going to be Stanley Kubrick!  Thud

Quote from: Brian Wilson
It’s going to be the greatest tribute album ever made.
AndrewHickey
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #261 on: July 13, 2013, 05:34:20 AM »

Another potential project was apparently a cowboy western entitled "A Talent For Loving" although little beyond the title is known about the project.

Tons is known about it. It was based on the 1961 bestselling novel by Richard Condon, and was eventually made by Walter Shenson, the Beatles' film producer, in 1969 with Richard Widmark and Cesar Romero. It's not very good --
http://www.imdb.com/title/tt0065065/

With Lord Of The Rings they couldn't buy the rights to the book -- depending on who you believe, Tolkein either turned them down because he didn't like their music or the rights had been sold the day before they enquired about them, for what became the Ralph Bakshi animated version.

There were loads of other ideas that they talked about -- at one point they were going to do a version of The Three Musketeers (presumably at Richard Lester's instigation, since he filmed that himself later), and they also commissioned a script from Joe Orton, which was to have had the four of them as gay lovers. They turned that one down, and Richard Lester was going to make it starring Mick Jagger and Ian McKellan instead, but then Orton died and the project died with him.

The Smiley Smile ignore function: http://andrewhickey.info/the-smiley-smile-ignore-button-sort-of/
Most recent update 03/12/15
Andrew G. Doe
Smiley Smile Associate

The triumph of The Hickey Script !

View Profile WWW
« Reply #262 on: July 13, 2013, 05:46:49 AM »

I believe the Orton script was called something like "Prick Up Your Ears".

The four sweetest words in my vocabulary: "This poster is ignored".
ontor pertawst
Smiley Smile Associate

L♡VE ALWAYS WINS

View Profile WWW
« Reply #263 on: July 13, 2013, 08:09:08 AM »

Nope. "Up Against It."

Orton:  "the boys, in my script, have been caught in-flagrante, become involved in dubious political activity, dressed as women, committed murder, been put in prison and committed adultery."

McCartney: "We didn't do it because it was gay."
« Last Edit: July 13, 2013, 08:11:01 AM by ontor pertawst » Logged
JohnMill
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #264 on: July 13, 2013, 09:10:44 AM »

McCartney was also shortlisted (and if fact offered) the role of Romeo in "Romeo And Juliet" (1968).  He turned it down.

Also for what it's worth there are at least three Wings related films that McCartney was in the process of putting together in the seventies none of which ever truly got off the ground.  In addition "Rupert & The Frog Song" was originally conceptualized as a full length feature with complete soundtrack.  Macca floated out "Rupert & The Frog Song" as a bit of a trailer attached to "Give My Regards To Broad Street" as to what a potential full length feature could be like and apparently back in the day there was enough interest to move forward with the project.  However, somehow along the way the project got entangled in all sorts of legal woes and well the full length Rupert Bear film never materialized.  Instead Macca got to working on "Tropic Island Hum" in the late eighties which finally saw release several years ago on DVD.
« Last Edit: July 13, 2013, 09:17:47 AM by JohnMill » Logged

God Bless California
For It Marks My Faith To See
You're The Only State With The Sacred Honor
....to sink into the sea
Jonathan Blum
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #265 on: July 13, 2013, 08:59:30 PM »

Legend has it that the director of the Beatles LOTR was going to be Stanley Kubrick!  Thud

I heard Patrick McGoohan was in the frame at one point, right after "The Prisoner".  *faints dead away*

Cheers,
Jon Blum
Jay
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #266 on: July 13, 2013, 09:32:40 PM »

There was a book released sometime in the mid 1990's that listed every movie The Beatles did, plus a bunch of film ideas that never worked out. I was actually quite surprised with just how many aborted ideas and projects there were.

A son of anarchy surrounded by the hierarchy.
Phoenix
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #267 on: July 13, 2013, 09:47:37 PM »

For Smile, the failure was modular recording and frankly, too much music to assemble.

Period.  police 
 Rock!

I don't know how people still can't see this.  Talk about perpetuating myths.
Don Malcolm
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #268 on: July 13, 2013, 09:54:55 PM »

FINALLY...the last lost (along the riverun...) song by Syd Barrett has been exhumed from Middow Eart'...!! Ol' Tolkien was just a shoddy precursor to the man who wanted "to tell you a story...about a little man...if I can." (Ontor, I think you can seamlessly segue this one into "Bells of Madness" if you put on your thinkin' cap...)

Problem was that, when Syd went off to Kokomo...he never came back.  Tip Toe
Tilt Araiza
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #269 on: July 14, 2013, 12:03:20 AM »

A radio version of Up Against It was made in 1997 (Damon Albarn was in it).  I don't know about the radio version, but I've heard that Orton's script had no part for Paul.
gfx
Pages: 1 ... 6 7 8 9 10 [11] Go Up Print 
gfx
Jump to:  
gfx