gfxgfx

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
logo

gfx gfx
gfx
680599 Posts in 27601 Topics by 4068 Members - Latest Member: Dae Lims March 29, 2024, 02:13:44 AM
gfx*HomeHelpSearchCalendarLoginRegistergfx
gfxgfx
Pages: 1 2 3 [4] 5 6 7 8 9 ... 11 Go Down Print
Author Topic: MIKE LOVE WANTS BRIAN WILSON BACK IN THE BEACH BOYS  (Read 33644 times)
Sheriff John Stone
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #75 on: July 09, 2013, 03:42:49 PM »

The total dismantling of the C50 edifice -- no future album, no future tours, no more promo of the full group -- that was the issue.

Dismantling of the C50 edifice?

There is an assumption, one that I don't necessarily buy into, that if the C50 tour was extended a second time, maybe up to 100 shows, and MUTUALLY ended at that time, that everything would've been just fine moving forward, with more tours and more albums and more working together. An additional 30 shows and "some mutual agreement" as to when the reunion tour ended doesn't even remotely suggest that the C50 group could or would continue as The Beach Boys - in any form. As a fan of The Beach Boys for almost 40 years, I don't see it being that simple. Yes, feelings might've less acrimonious then they appear to be now, but things were and will never be that simple in the world of The Beach Boys. Negotiations for another tour (of any length) and another album and being "The Beach Boys again"  would've eventually reverted to how they've always been. Mike would be Mike and Brian would be Brian and no mutual ending of the C50 tour was gonna change that. In my opinion, of course... police
The Shift
Smiley Smile Associate

Biding time

View Profile
« Reply #76 on: July 09, 2013, 03:44:32 PM »

Mike Love ate my hamster.

“We live in divisive times.”
SurfRiderHawaii
Smiley Smile Associate

Add Some Music to your day!

View Profile
« Reply #77 on: July 09, 2013, 03:50:58 PM »

Forget Brian for a second, this statement from Mike flies in the face of Al's recent comments:

http://www.theticker.tc/story/q-a-with-beach-boys-guitarist-al-jardine

Fact is somebody (s) is spinning the truth here, that is for sure.

"Brian is The Beach Boys. He is the band. We're his f***ing messengers. He is all of it. Period. We're nothing. He's everything" - Dennis Wilson
Shady
Smiley Smile Associate

I had to fix a lot of things this morning

View Profile
« Reply #78 on: July 09, 2013, 03:52:59 PM »

Maybe this is all PR for a big tour next summer

According to someone who would know.

Seriously, there was a Beach Boys Love You condom?!  Amazing.
Sheriff John Stone
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #79 on: July 09, 2013, 03:55:32 PM »

BW measures his career and life by success, why would he walk away from the momentum of a number 3 album and offers for more BBs albums?

It appears that Mike was not happy with the recording process of TWGMTR, specifically his lack of input and his lack of working directly with Brian. It appears that Mike will not allow that to happen again, even if it means forfeiting another Beach Boys album. Even if the reunion tour would've ended on a mutually positive note, those issues with Mike would've still been present. Yeah, they might've had Thanksgiving dinner together, but when it came time to get to the negotiations for a new album, I don't think the positivity of the C50 tour would've carried over or made the negotiations less contentious. Mike wants it his way and Brian has to have it his way, no matter how many shows they played together in 2012.
SMiLE Brian
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #80 on: July 09, 2013, 04:01:35 PM »

Mike got a ton of concessions on the album with a solo song from 1978, beach songs with Brian, and a producer credit. If he isn't happy with that, I guess the only way he would be satisfied is a SIP type situation where he is the BBs. I really don't understand how his ego convinced him he has to control the group 100%.

I would think he would learn from his mistakes of 1985 to 1998 of ruining the band's reputation under his management.

And production aside, I’d so much rather hear a 14 year old David Marks shred some guitar on Chug-a-lug than hear a 51 year old Mike Love sing about bangin some chick in a swimming pool.-rab2591
Heysaboda
Smiley Smile Associate

Son, don't wait till the break of day....

View Profile
« Reply #81 on: July 09, 2013, 04:02:42 PM »

"Forget it, Jake.  It's Chinatown."

Son, don't wait till the break of day 'cause you know how time fades away......
Andrew G. Doe
Smiley Smile Associate

The triumph of The Hickey Script !

View Profile WWW
« Reply #82 on: July 09, 2013, 04:04:45 PM »

Mike Love ate my hamster.

Think not - he's a vegetarian.  Grin

The four sweetest words in my vocabulary: "This poster is ignored".
Andrew G. Doe
Smiley Smile Associate

The triumph of The Hickey Script !

View Profile WWW
« Reply #83 on: July 09, 2013, 04:08:22 PM »

Mike got a ton of concessions on the album with a solo song from 1978, beach songs with Brian, and a producer credit.

A ton ?  I make that three. Brian got the majority of leads, the majority of the songs, Thomas with a finger in just about every pie and, on tour, his entire backing band. That's what I'd call a ton.

The four sweetest words in my vocabulary: "This poster is ignored".
Mike's Beard
Smiley Smile Associate

Check your privilege. Love & Mercy guys!

View Profile
« Reply #84 on: July 09, 2013, 04:10:08 PM »

It's hard to take anything printed in the toliet paper that is The Daily Star as gospel. Count me as skeptical. Still, if it turns out correct that it was Brian who pulled the plug on any more concerts before changing his mind back again it's going to make for very interesting reading as all the Myke bashers attempt to justify his actions as they undoubtedly will.

I'd rather be forced to sleep with Caitlyn Jenner then ever have to listen to NPP again.
Cam Mott
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #85 on: July 09, 2013, 04:11:07 PM »

Forget Brian for a second, this statement from Mike flies in the face of Al's recent comments:

How come nobody is tearing Al apart over this thing? Brian and I this and Brian and I that and we're the heart and soul blah blah blah.

"Bring me the head of Carmen Sandiego" Lynne "The Chief" Thigpen
Sheriff John Stone
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #86 on: July 09, 2013, 04:12:25 PM »

Mike got a ton of concessions on the album with a solo song from 1978, beach songs with Brian, and a producer credit. If he isn't happy with that, I guess the only way he would be satisfied is a SIP type situation where he is the BBs. I really don't understand how his ego convinced him he has to control the group 100%.

I would think he would learn from his mistakes of 1985 to 1998 of ruining the band's reputation under his management.

You're bringing up a lot of issues, they all deserve their own thread, and I don't have the energy to debate them all (my back is killing me sitting here at the computer police). But, I will say this. Maybe Mike got a ton of concessions on TWGMTR, maybe he does want an SIP situation where he is the BBs, and maybe his ego is out of control. But, that's kind of my point. A mutually ended C50 reunion tour wasn't gonna change all of that. Yes, Mike and Brian (and the rest of the guys) might've walked off into the Christmas holiday season hand-in-hand with smiles on their faces singing "Joy To The World". But I guarantee you as soon as negotiations started for another tour or another album, it wouldn't take very long for those warm fuzzies to disappear - and for Mike to be Mike and Brian to be Brian - along with all the old baggage. But, hey, that's just my opinion. I know there are differing opinions...
« Last Edit: July 09, 2013, 04:24:55 PM by Sheriff John Stone » Logged
Cam Mott
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #87 on: July 09, 2013, 04:24:07 PM »

It's a concession to get your music on your own album? 

The only way?  So far there hasn't been anything about control [he conceded control], he just wants to write together with his cousin.

His mistakes? Was he the only one in the band at the time?

Heysaboda
Smiley Smile Associate

Son, don't wait till the break of day....

View Profile
« Reply #88 on: July 09, 2013, 04:27:17 PM »

Sounds perfectly plausible.

'Love explained. “At that point, Brian said, ‘No more dates for us, please."

Seems Mike is using this statement out of context if true.

Maybe Brian really meant these dates:

Son, don't wait till the break of day 'cause you know how time fades away......
Nicko1234
« Reply #89 on: July 09, 2013, 04:36:30 PM »

Mike got a ton of concessions on the album with a solo song from 1978, beach songs with Brian, and a producer credit.

A ton ?  I make that three. Brian got the majority of leads, the majority of the songs, Thomas with a finger in just about every pie and, on tour, his entire backing band. That's what I'd call a ton.

Well indeed.

There was obviously some compromise on all sides with C50 but I would say that it was 80% based on what Brian wanted, 19% based on what Mike wanted and 1% shared between the other 3 guys.
Cyncie
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #90 on: July 09, 2013, 04:41:21 PM »

Things aren't ever going to be 1965 again, no matter what the C50 PR machine said. There is way too much water under the bridge for that. For things to go forward, all parties have to agree to work in 2013's reality. In that reality, Mike hasn't had to make too much of a concession to anyone and has successfully toured the band on his own.  In that reality, Brian is no longer a one man hit machine. He's a damaged person whose participation requires (and I do think he requires) a  support system to run interference for him. In that reality, original Beach Boys Al and David have to depend on the others to get a foot in the door, while Bruce is attached to Mike at the hip. And, in that reality, there will be other people assisting with production and song writing, because that's the system Brian uses to create now.

So, no matter how much Mike or the fans want a return to the fun, fun, fun days of the early Beach Boys collaborations, it's not the sixties.  When all of the parties realize that and find a way to go forward in the new reality, we might see another album and maybe even a tour. But, not until.

And, before anyone says it can't happen... well, we didn't think C50 could happen, either. But, it did.

So, Mike might have to agree to work with Brian PLUS whomever Brian trusts to help with the studio work.

Brian might have to agree to trim back the entourage. Keep his most trusted musician/supporters by his side, give the rest a break and be a little more accessible.

Al and David will still be on the outside looking in, and Bruce will still be Mike's cheerleader.  But, if Mike and Brian could just accept this new reality, things could go forward.

Sail On, Sailor.
« Last Edit: July 09, 2013, 04:44:42 PM by Cyncie » Logged
JohnMill
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #91 on: July 09, 2013, 05:17:04 PM »

WAIT I GOT IT!!!
=======================
IN 1967 HE STOMPED SMiLE!

IN 2012 HE STOMPED THE REUNION

IN 2014 MIKE LOVE IS STOMPING TOWARDS YOUR TOWN WITH HIS STAR STUDDED BEACH BOYS LINEUP

*Cue Surfin' Safari* "Lets go Surfin now..."

MIKE LOVE: GOIN TO THE BEACH WITH MY BAY-BEEEEEEE.  HOLDING HER LITTLE HAND IN MINE.  GOIN' TO THE BEACH WITH MY BAY-BEEEEEEEEEE, HOT FUN IN THE SUMMERTIME

AL JARDINE
: I WISH EVERYONE WOULD JUST GET ALONG!

BRIAN WILSON: NO MORE REUNIONS NO I DON'T THINK SO.  GOIN' TO THE BEACH?  THERE'S A LOT OF LOVE IN THAT SONG.  A LOT OF MIKE LOVE!

DAVID MARKS: (cue random quote from Admiral Stockdale)

WITNESS FIRST HAND THE DRAMA, THE PATHOS, THE PAGEANTRY OF THE ENDLESS SUMMER THAT REFUSED TO END.  

BRUCE JOHNSTON: GET THE (pushes camera out of the way) THIS INTERVIEW IS OVER!

THE BEACH BOYS AS YOU'VE NEVER SEEN THEM BEFORE IN 2014 (may contain slight traces of John Stamos)

God Bless California
For It Marks My Faith To See
You're The Only State With The Sacred Honor
....to sink into the sea
oldsurferdude
« Reply #92 on: July 09, 2013, 05:42:55 PM »

And thank our lucky stars for Brian's ton. And the crap from 1978 turned out to be the stinkin' dud on the album. Any more concessions to myKe and we would have had another bomb ala SIP.
Wirestone
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #93 on: July 09, 2013, 05:50:54 PM »

Things aren't ever going to be 1965 again, no matter what the C50 PR machine said. There is way too much water under the bridge for that. For things to go forward, all parties have to agree to work in 2013's reality. In that reality, Mike hasn't had to make too much of a concession to anyone and has successfully toured the band on his own.  In that reality, Brian is no longer a one man hit machine. He's a damaged person whose participation requires (and I do think he requires) a  support system to run interference for him. In that reality, original Beach Boys Al and David have to depend on the others to get a foot in the door, while Bruce is attached to Mike at the hip. And, in that reality, there will be other people assisting with production and song writing, because that's the system Brian uses to create now.

So, no matter how much Mike or the fans want a return to the fun, fun, fun days of the early Beach Boys collaborations, it's not the sixties.  When all of the parties realize that and find a way to go forward in the new reality, we might see another album and maybe even a tour. But, not until.

And, before anyone says it can't happen... well, we didn't think C50 could happen, either. But, it did.

So, Mike might have to agree to work with Brian PLUS whomever Brian trusts to help with the studio work.

Brian might have to agree to trim back the entourage. Keep his most trusted musician/supporters by his side, give the rest a break and be a little more accessible.

Al and David will still be on the outside looking in, and Bruce will still be Mike's cheerleader.  But, if Mike and Brian could just accept this new reality, things could go forward.

Sail On, Sailor.

This strikes me as quite succinct and accurate.
Cam Mott
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #94 on: July 09, 2013, 06:00:56 PM »

Sail On, Sailor.

It's still not unreasonable or undoable or an outlandish desire to want to sit down with your own cousin and write some songs.

leggo of my ego
Smiley Smile Associate

Beach Boys Stomp

View Profile
« Reply #95 on: July 09, 2013, 06:09:13 PM »

WAIT I GOT IT!!!
=======================
IN 1967 HE STOMPED SMiLE!

IN 2012 HE STOMPED THE REUNION

IN 2014 MIKE LOVE IS STOMPING TOWARDS YOUR TOWN WITH HIS STAR STUDDED BEACH BOYS LINEUP

*Cue Surfin' Safari* "Lets go Surfin now..."

MIKE LOVE: GOIN TO THE BEACH WITH MY BAY-BEEEEEEE.  HOLDING HER LITTLE HAND IN MINE.  GOIN' TO THE BEACH WITH MY BAY-BEEEEEEEEEE, HOT FUN IN THE SUMMERTIME

AL JARDINE
: I WISH EVERYONE WOULD JUST GET ALONG!

BRIAN WILSON: NO MORE REUNIONS NO I DON'T THINK SO.  GOIN' TO THE BEACH?  THERE'S A LOT OF LOVE IN THAT SONG.  A LOT OF MIKE LOVE!

DAVID MARKS: (cue random quote from Admiral Stockdale)

WITNESS FIRST HAND THE DRAMA, THE PATHOS, THE PAGEANTRY OF THE ENDLESS SUMMER THAT REFUSED TO END.  

BRUCE JOHNSTON: GET THE (pushes camera out of the way) THIS INTERVIEW IS OVER!

THE BEACH BOYS AS YOU'VE NEVER SEEN THEM BEFORE IN 2014 (may contain slight traces of John Stamos)

Whew! thanks for the disclaimer Im allergic to nuts like Stamos!

Hey Little Tomboy is creepy. Banging women by the pool is fun and conjures up warm summer thoughts a Beach Boys song should.

Necessity knows no law
A bootlegger knows no law
Therefore: A bootlegger is a necessity
Cyncie
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #96 on: July 09, 2013, 06:12:44 PM »

Sail On, Sailor.

It's still not unreasonable or undoable or an outlandish desire to want to sit down with your own cousin and write some songs.

No, it's not unreasonable. Unless that cousin is Brian Wilson. I do think Mike underestimates how much Brian needs his support system these days. For Brian to be comfortable enough to create, he needs certain people around him. Mike, unfortunately, isn't one of those people. It's sad. And, I'm sure it's sad to Mike. But, it's the 2013 reality of Brian Wilson's life, and if Mike wants to work with him at all, he might have to fit into that model.
HeyJude
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile WWW
« Reply #97 on: July 09, 2013, 06:16:25 PM »

How come nobody is tearing Al apart over this thing? Brian and I this and Brian and I that and we're the heart and soul blah blah blah.

Despite the various ways to spin it, until this recent alleged comment from Mike about Brian ending the reunion tour, everybody including Mike, Brian, and Al have agreed that it was Mike that chose not to continue the reunion. What's to tear Al apart over? That he's painting a picture now of he and Brian? I don't get it. I know you've had it in for Al for at least 15 years now, to the exclusion of criticizing Mike or Mike's actions, but what in the world should we "tear Al apart" over?

THE BEACH BOYS OPINION PAGE IS ON FACEBOOK!!! http://www.facebook.com/beachboysopinion - Check out the original "BEACH BOYS OPINION PAGE" Blog - http://beachboysopinion.blogspot.com/
HeyJude
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile WWW
« Reply #98 on: July 09, 2013, 06:20:11 PM »

A ton ?  I make that three. Brian got the majority of leads, the majority of the songs, Thomas with a finger in just about every pie and, on tour, his entire backing band. That's what I'd call a ton.

That seems to presuppose that Mike and Brian should have equal input into all of those aspects; songwriting, choosing musicians, and so on. Brian's input and quality of contributions to the band over the entire history of the band, not to mention his output in recent years, would seem to indicate he should get the majority of concessions in this regard.

If we're simply talking about giving everybody equal say for equality's sake, or at least in a corporate or legal sense, then Al should be even more pissed since he got zero input into much of anything on the tour other than a few lead spots on the album written by others, and getting to sing leads in concert as he has on every Beach Boys tour. He didn' t get a single one of his "guys" into the touring band, he's he one who was talking about "asking" Mike to add songs to the setlist, he didn't even get his one "token" song on the album like Mike did.

How come Al isn't whining about Joe Thomas and Brian taking the album over, even when, as related in the "Rolling Stone" article, Brian directly rejected Al's contribution to the album? I'm guessing Al is seeing the bigger picture, not just getting his equal share or this or that.
« Last Edit: July 09, 2013, 06:21:48 PM by HeyJude » Logged

THE BEACH BOYS OPINION PAGE IS ON FACEBOOK!!! http://www.facebook.com/beachboysopinion - Check out the original "BEACH BOYS OPINION PAGE" Blog - http://beachboysopinion.blogspot.com/
Nicko1234
« Reply #99 on: July 09, 2013, 06:34:52 PM »

That seems to presuppose that Mike and Brian should have equal input into all of those aspects; songwriting, choosing musicians, and so on. Brian's input and quality of contributions to the band over the entire history of the band, not to mention his output in recent years, would seem to indicate he should get the majority of concessions in this regard.

If we're simply talking about giving everybody equal say for equality's sake, or at least in a corporate or legal sense, then Al should be even more pissed since he got zero input into much of anything on the tour other than a few lead spots on the album written by others, and getting to sing leads in concert as he has on every Beach Boys tour. He didn' t get a single one of his "guys" into the touring band, he's he one who was talking about "asking" Mike to add songs to the setlist, he didn't even get his one "token" song on the album like Mike did.

How come Al isn't whining about Joe Thomas and Brian taking the album over, even when, as related in the "Rolling Stone" article, Brian directly rejected Al's contribution to the album? I'm guessing Al is seeing the bigger picture, not just getting his equal share or this or that.

All of those comments ignore the fact that these guys are human beings...
« Last Edit: July 09, 2013, 09:12:03 PM by Nicko1234 » Logged
gfx
Pages: 1 2 3 [4] 5 6 7 8 9 ... 11 Go Up Print 
gfx
Jump to:  
gfx