gfxgfx

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
logo

gfx gfx
gfx
680598 Posts in 27600 Topics by 4068 Members - Latest Member: Dae Lims March 28, 2024, 07:23:13 PM
gfx*HomeHelpSearchCalendarLoginRegistergfx
gfxgfx
Pages: [1] 2 3 4 Go Down Print
Author Topic: a 'smiley smile' chat room?  (Read 24084 times)
bringahorseinhere?
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« on: July 06, 2013, 09:57:56 AM »

I'm surprised the board hasn't got a chat room of some degree.....

it's quite busy on this site, has it ever been considered or has there been one in the past?

is there a reason why there isn't one?

would love to chat to other 'freaks' like me!

RickB
Mendota Heights
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #1 on: July 06, 2013, 10:13:55 AM »

I want a chat room too.

A web based IRC type of thing.
« Last Edit: July 06, 2013, 10:20:04 AM by Swedish Frog » Logged

I have been dubbed Mr. Pet Sounds and Mr. Country Love by polite and honored board member Smile Brian. I hope I live up to those esteemed titles.
EgoHanger1966
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #2 on: July 06, 2013, 11:32:01 AM »

This would be very cool, and probably not that hard to set up.

Hal Blaine:"You're gonna get a tomata all over yer puss!"
Brian: "Don't say puss."
alf wiedersehen
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #3 on: July 06, 2013, 11:34:43 AM »

It seems simple enough to set up
http://www.wikihow.com/Create-a-Chat-Room-for-Your-Website-Using-a-Server-Side-Language
Mendota Heights
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #4 on: July 06, 2013, 11:42:07 AM »

I know web programming and installing a chat is super easy. An AJAX chat is to prefer over a PHP chat, since you don't need to reload the whole page when using an AJAX chat.

There are some open source AJAX chats available for everyone to use.

This one's pretty cool: http://demo.estreamchat.com/ChatRoom.aspx. It's a jQuery chat and works like charm.
« Last Edit: July 06, 2013, 11:46:43 AM by Swedish Frog » Logged

I have been dubbed Mr. Pet Sounds and Mr. Country Love by polite and honored board member Smile Brian. I hope I live up to those esteemed titles.
Dudd
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #5 on: July 06, 2013, 12:55:04 PM »

I think you'll have to ask in the 'Welcome to the Smiley Smile Board' page, I'm not sure if the mods are ignoring suggestions for the site here or just not noticing 'em... there was already a thread for this not too long ago (http://smileysmile.net/board/index.php/topic,14712.0.html)  but not much of a response. I'd be down for it though, a chatroom sounds fun  Cheesy

Quote from: Brian Wilson
It’s going to be the greatest tribute album ever made.
Alex
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #6 on: July 06, 2013, 08:37:14 PM »

I haven't used a chatroom since 2003.

"I thought Brian was a perfect gentleman, apart from buttering his head and trying to put it between two slices of bread"  -Tom Petty, after eating with Brian.

https://givemesomeboots1.blogspot.com/
Mikie
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #7 on: July 06, 2013, 08:56:11 PM »

The main purpose for a chatroom is to pick up chicks, isn't it?  Didn't chatrooms kinda go out with AOL? 

I, I love the colorful clothes she wears, and she's already working on my brain. I only looked in her eyes, but I picked up something I just can't explain. I, I bet I know what she’s like, and I can feel how right she’d be for me. It’s weird how she comes in so strong, and I wonder what she’s picking up from me. I hope it’s good, good, good, good vibrations, yeah!!
Doo Dah
Smiley Smile Associate

One man's troll is another man's freedom fighter.

View Profile
« Reply #8 on: July 06, 2013, 11:31:42 PM »

When Chuck Kelley did his Heroes and Villains show on Luxuriamusic.com, I used to regularly stop by. It was nice hearing the music and chatting with Beach Boys freaks worldwide.

AGD is gone.
AGD is gone.
Heigh ho the derry-o
AGD is gone
Mendota Heights
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #9 on: July 06, 2013, 11:40:40 PM »

Let's approach the moderators.
« Last Edit: July 07, 2013, 01:08:59 AM by Swedish Frog » Logged

Phoenix
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #10 on: July 06, 2013, 11:41:14 PM »

I seem to recall the old cabinessence board had a chat room, or something that worked in the same manner.  Mistaken or not, I'd totally be down with a chat here, especially late nights, east coast, US time.  Sometimes you feel like talking about or sharing some info on the Boys, regarding something that doesn't warrant a new thread or fit in any existing ones.
« Last Edit: July 06, 2013, 11:42:13 PM by Phoenix » Logged
The Shift
Smiley Smile Associate

Biding time

View Profile
« Reply #11 on: July 07, 2013, 01:18:36 AM »

Okay, I'm a techno-ignoramus… what's the diff between what we have here and a chatroom? I'm wary of anything that involves spending even more time online!  LOL

“We live in divisive times.”
Mendota Heights
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #12 on: July 07, 2013, 01:26:28 AM »

Okay, I'm a techno-ignoramus… what's the diff between what we have here and a chatroom? I'm wary of anything that involves spending even more time online!  LOL

This is a chat room: http://demo.estreamchat.com/ChatRoom.aspx

bringahorseinhere?
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #13 on: July 07, 2013, 01:34:51 AM »

The main purpose for a chatroom is to pick up chicks, isn't it?  Didn't chatrooms kinda go out with AOL? 

hmmmmm pick up chicks, and talk about the Beach Boys/Brian Wilson......... the advantages of getting this thing goin hehehe

what else does a fella want in his life?

RickB
The Shift
Smiley Smile Associate

Biding time

View Profile
« Reply #14 on: July 07, 2013, 01:39:57 AM »

This is a chat room: http://demo.estreamchat.com/ChatRoom.aspx
So real time, dependent on who's around and chats probably wiped after a certain length of time?  Wouldn't we likely end up with a US/UK-Euro/Aus divide…?

bringahorseinhere?
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #15 on: July 07, 2013, 01:50:06 AM »

Hi John.....

Yes, 'real time' would be right.... it could be could to discuss things in further detail without posting on the board and reading through 'bable' at times....

people could ask more specific questions or comment in further detail about topics that don't necessarily need to be posted....

it has its 'pros' and 'cons'......... it could also turn into WW3 if it is not monitored or moderated........ people being people, that's probably the downfall...

it's just an idea..... but you are right to a degree, it is what we are already doing here on the board.

Thanks all for the comments....

RickB
The Shift
Smiley Smile Associate

Biding time

View Profile
« Reply #16 on: July 07, 2013, 01:53:39 AM »

Hi John.....

Yes, 'real time' would be right.... it could be could to discuss things in further detail without posting on the board and reading through 'bable' at times....

people could ask more specific questions or comment in further detail about topics that don't necessarily need to be posted....

it has its 'pros' and 'cons'......... it could also turn into WW3 if it is not monitored or moderated........ people being people, that's probably the downfall...

it's just an idea..... but you are right to a degree, it is what we are already doing here on the board.

Thanks all for the comments....

RickB

I think a main concern would be archiving; this board is a terrific resource for fans and writers alike, and it would be a shame if some conversations yielding gallons of info were lost to time, or left unenlightened because whatever honoured guest of historian didn't happen to be online at the time.

This board does have one or two shortcomings but they're seriously overridden by its values…

Dudd
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #17 on: July 07, 2013, 02:16:02 AM »

I'm still up or it, could just be a place for off-topic conversation or trading opinions on albums and whatnot. Maybe it'll be dead within a few months, maybe it'll take over the board entirely, but it's worth a try I think.

Quote from: Brian Wilson
It’s going to be the greatest tribute album ever made.
Mikie
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #18 on: July 07, 2013, 09:01:48 AM »

Excellent points by Rick:

1. "it could be to discuss things in further detail without posting on the board and reading through 'bable' at times...."

2. "Pick up chicks, and talk about the Beach Boys/Brian Wilson......... what else does a fella want in his life?"

I, I love the colorful clothes she wears, and she's already working on my brain. I only looked in her eyes, but I picked up something I just can't explain. I, I bet I know what she’s like, and I can feel how right she’d be for me. It’s weird how she comes in so strong, and I wonder what she’s picking up from me. I hope it’s good, good, good, good vibrations, yeah!!
Jason
« Reply #19 on: July 07, 2013, 09:11:03 AM »

The final call for a chat room would be at the discretion of Chuck.
bringahorseinhere?
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #20 on: July 07, 2013, 09:21:20 AM »

Thanks 'Mikie' and 'Real Beach Boy'.....

while I did suggest it, John has an important point,

"it would be a shame if some conversations yielding gallons of info were lost to time, or left unenlightened because whatever honoured guest of historian didn't happen to be online at the time"........

I got to thinking about that......hopefully those sort of things would indeed be posted on the board, or yes, have such things archived so we all can enjoy

weeks, months or years later.

It would be worthwhile trying out for sure...... just a suggestion.

RickB
zachrwolfe
« Reply #21 on: July 07, 2013, 09:35:33 AM »

« Last Edit: December 20, 2018, 08:59:08 PM by zatch » Logged
Mendota Heights
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #22 on: July 07, 2013, 09:38:03 AM »

Perhaps they could just choose a chatroom where sections are able to be archived and viewed at a later date? Surely that must exist? If it does not, surely someone could add that capability in?

Yep. Just store every line in a database.

Andrew G. Doe
Smiley Smile Associate

The triumph of The Hickey Script !

View Profile WWW
« Reply #23 on: July 07, 2013, 10:39:59 AM »

I'd vote against a chatroom simply because it's hard enough having to deal with the misfits, trolls and retards here without having to do it in real time. That said, it would have the decided benefit of shutting up those who keep bleating "well just don't read his posts, then".   Grin

The four sweetest words in my vocabulary: "This poster is ignored".
The Shift
Smiley Smile Associate

Biding time

View Profile
« Reply #24 on: July 07, 2013, 10:45:19 AM »

Even with an archive, wouldn't it just be a Son of Smiley?

gfx
Pages: [1] 2 3 4 Go Up Print 
gfx
Jump to:  
gfx