gfxgfx

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
logo

gfx gfx
gfx
680598 Posts in 27600 Topics by 4068 Members - Latest Member: Dae Lims March 28, 2024, 07:37:07 PM
gfx*HomeHelpSearchCalendarLoginRegistergfx
gfxgfx
Pages: 1 ... 11 12 13 14 15 [16] 17 18 19 20 21 ... 25 Go Down Print
Author Topic: Mike Love: 'There are a lot of fallacies about me'  (Read 98927 times)
drbeachboy
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #375 on: July 08, 2013, 08:41:01 AM »

He's been bragging about writing the lyrics to Good Vibrations in the car on the way to the studio for how many years now? Does anybody think that song would've been vastly improved if they worked on it together from the ground up?

Excellent point, and am greatful that myKe did not sit down and write TWGMTR from scratch. No doubt it would have contained even more trash similar to Daybreak Over The Ocean. Roll Eyes
I can'r take anything you say about Mike as anything more than Trolling or just plain hate speak. You couldn't even convince me that Mike is bald and sings nasally. Wink
Yeah i t's fairly obvious that you can't handle much of anything that you don't totally agree with. Even worse, you're one of those dreaded, thin skinned myKinistas that luHv to drag out one of  the most overused terms on the board. You'll feel a whole lot better when you get out there and see your heroes, myKe and Br00th this summer for the 33rd time.
I have seen Mike & Bruce all of one time. A 2006 Christmas show. Now, I will be seeing Brian, Al & David on July 20th in AC. I have seen Brian at every visit to the Philly area, except for two shows. The difference between you and me is that I take a fair look at all factions. I was/am always a Beach Boys fan, first and foremost. I always agreed with Dennis' statement that the music was the real star of the band.  I fully understand that they are as much a business as they are amusement. One day you will grow up to be an even older surfer dude and will hopefully understand those things too. Smiley
« Last Edit: July 08, 2013, 08:52:23 AM by drbeachboy » Logged

The Brianista Prayer

Oh Brian
Thou Art In Hawthorne,
Harmonied Be Thy name
Your Kingdom Come,
Your Steak Well Done,
On Stage As It Is In Studio,
Give Us This Day, Our Shortenin' Bread
And Forgive Us Our Bootlegs,
As We Also Have Forgiven Our Wife And Managers,
And Lead Us Not Into Kokomo,
But Deliver Us From Mike Love.
Amen.  ---hypehat
Andrew G. Doe
Smiley Smile Associate

The triumph of The Hickey Script !

View Profile WWW
« Reply #376 on: July 08, 2013, 09:16:45 AM »

Seen Brian 20+ times, and he's been everything from jaw-droppingly superb to seriously not wanting to be where he was, i.e. on stage, performing.

Seen Mike & Bruce in 2003 (OK), 2004 (truly great), 2008 (utterly outstanding) and 2011 (circumstances precluded any meaningful judgement, but damn, it was fun).

Point being, my judgement - and that of many folk posting here - rests on actually having seen both groups and not on any grammatically challenged expression of distaste formed without any such experience. I've little if any doubt that OSD is as much of a complete idiot in real life as he elects to portray himself here, but before stating this as a fact, I'd have to meet him first. 30 seconds should be sufficient.  Grin

The four sweetest words in my vocabulary: "This poster is ignored".
clack
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #377 on: July 08, 2013, 09:18:16 AM »

Two separate matters under discussion  : 1) the touring band, and 2) the new Beach Boys lp that could of, should of been.

Speaking now only of the album : Brian is working on a lot of new material, enough he thinks for 3 lps. At least one of these lps he wanted to be a Beach Boys album. Mike turned down this offer, for whatever reason.

The boys are now in their 70's. This opportunity will almost certainly never arise again.

This is a Beach Boys board. We're fans. We might have had a new Beach Boys album. Mike nixed it. Why is it so unreasonable to criticize Mike for, in essence, breaking up the band one last, final time? Isn't that our right as fans, without being accused of trolling or of committing hate crimes?

I don't hate Mike. He's contributed greatly to many classic songs written with Brian. I even like some of the songs he's written on his own, or with Terry Melcher. But he's just ended the recording career of one of the greatest bands of all time, and I don't like it.
ontor pertawst
Smiley Smile Associate

L♡VE ALWAYS WINS

View Profile WWW
« Reply #378 on: July 08, 2013, 09:20:35 AM »

They need to show us on the doll where David Leaf touched them.
Jason
« Reply #379 on: July 08, 2013, 09:47:23 AM »

They need to show us on the doll where David Leaf touched them.

LOL LOL LOL LOL LOL LOL LOL LOL LOL
drbeachboy
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #380 on: July 08, 2013, 09:48:35 AM »

Two separate matters under discussion  : 1) the touring band, and 2) the new Beach Boys lp that could of, should of been.

Speaking now only of the album : Brian is working on a lot of new material, enough he thinks for 3 lps. At least one of these lps he wanted to be a Beach Boys album. Mike turned down this offer, for whatever reason.

The boys are now in their 70's. This opportunity will almost certainly never arise again.

This is a Beach Boys board. We're fans. We might have had a new Beach Boys album. Mike nixed it. Why is it so unreasonable to criticize Mike for, in essence, breaking up the band one last, final time? Isn't that our right as fans, without being accused of trolling or of committing hate crimes?

I don't hate Mike. He's contributed greatly to many classic songs written with Brian. I even like some of the songs he's written on his own, or with Terry Melcher. But he's just ended the recording career of one of the greatest bands of all time, and I don't like it.
If what I have been stating here in this thread is even somewhat correct, then Mike shot down a new album because he didn't want a repeat from last year. My take is that if the right circumstances present themselves in the near future, we may see another Beach Boys album. Really, only Brian & Mike can answer that question, together.

The Brianista Prayer

Oh Brian
Thou Art In Hawthorne,
Harmonied Be Thy name
Your Kingdom Come,
Your Steak Well Done,
Amen.  ---hypehat
Cam Mott
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #381 on: July 08, 2013, 09:54:15 AM »

He's been bragging about writing the lyrics to Good Vibrations in the car on the way to the studio for how many years now? Does anybody think that song would've been vastly improved if they worked on it together from the ground up?

He also had input in the music.

"Bring me the head of Carmen Sandiego" Lynne "The Chief" Thigpen
Chocolate Shake Man
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #382 on: July 08, 2013, 09:57:26 AM »

If what I have been stating here in this thread is even somewhat correct, then Mike shot down a new album because he didn't want a repeat from last year.

A surprisingly strong album that was also a pretty solid commercial hit.
Andrew G. Doe
Smiley Smile Associate

The triumph of The Hickey Script !

View Profile WWW
« Reply #383 on: July 08, 2013, 09:57:44 AM »

Except that... he hasn't. Both he and Brian have stated repeatedly that the door is open to a new album project. Frankly - and this is hardly a secret - I hope there isn't one. Lightning rarely strikes the same place twice.

The four sweetest words in my vocabulary: "This poster is ignored".
Chocolate Shake Man
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #384 on: July 08, 2013, 09:59:25 AM »

In what way?
rab2591
Smiley Smile Associate

"My God. It's full of stars."

View Profile
« Reply #385 on: July 08, 2013, 10:00:21 AM »

Given that Brian has worked his best material when sitting at the piano with his collaborators (Van Dyke Parks, Tony Asher), is it really that outlandish that Mike would want to sit at a piano and work with him?

Is that how he did it, really? Heroes and Villains seems to have been a song way before Van Dyke was involved, and the same can be said about Tony Asher and You Still Believe in Me and Wouldn't It Be Nice. My thinking was that Brian typically had the basic music down before the lyricists got involved but I really don't know what the process was.

Tony Asher explained in the TLOS documentary (or maybe BW Pet Sounds live docu), how the process worked for him - it was clearly more beneficial for them to write side-by-side. Brian had the music composed beforehand*, but he'd still sit at a piano with the lyricist - making it easier to change tempo/melody/chords to fit the lyrics better.

*edit: barring the songs that were recorded beforehand, specifically YSBIM.

It's not outlandish. I just don't think he is capable or actually interested in doing it beyond bleating about it in interviews. I really can't blame him either, it's one thing to do that in your 20s but I'd imagine you get pretty stuck in your ways by their ages. They both have significantly spoiled, rich guy comfort zones. I don't see what's the problem with writing lyrics to BW backing tracks. Jesus, what a gift. What a fun technical challenge for a songwriter and what an almost miracle to be even a possibility in 2012-3. Not enough, Mike?

And you want to own the name and rule the touring band? Stalin of the Studio meets the Sultan of SeaWorld. FIGHT!

Not capable? Not interested? What makes you think that?

Nothing wrong with writing lyrics to BW backing tracks. But when you're in a 50 year old band, and you're writing an album, you'd think the two most famous people in that band would, ya know, get to sit down and write together. But yeah, Mike should be thankful he got a backing track Roll Eyes some "band" when these guys can't even write together.
« Last Edit: July 08, 2013, 10:01:36 AM by rab2591 » Logged

Bill Tobelman's SMiLE site

God must’ve smiled the day Brian Wilson was born!

"ragegasm" - /rāj • ga-zəm/ : a logical mental response produced when your favorite band becomes remotely associated with the bro-country genre.

Ever want to hear some Beach Boys songs mashed up together like The Beatles' 'LOVE' album? Check out my mix!
Sheriff John Stone
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #386 on: July 08, 2013, 10:00:33 AM »

Do you mean this quote, "The anniversary tour was originally 50 dates, and got extended to 73. At that point Brian said: 'No more dates for us, please'".

That quote can't be right. It was Mike ALONE that ended the reunion tour. That quote can't be right. It was Brian Wilson who decided he wanted to be a Beach Boy again, who wanted to continue touring after 73 dates, who released a press statement saying he "was bummed". That quote can't be right. Mike must be lying. I guess Brian will come out with another press release and set the record straight, that it was Mike alone who ended the reunion.

Actually, I was referring to the headline. No need to get prickly. I haven't posted on here enough for you to know what my view of Brian is.

I apologize for any misunderstanding, Cyncie. My post had nothing to do with your opinion, or what your view of Brian is. My post was directly related to Mike's quote, and what it SHOULD mean to people who are blaming Mike solely for "ending" the reunion tour. If you believe that Mike is telling the truth, then Brian Wilson also wanted the reunion to end when it did, which I think is very, very significant. It would mean that several people around the world - and specifically several people on this board - would be wrong in vilifying Mike for ending the reunion solely. If you think Mike is lying in the quote, then I would expect a response from Brian's camp. He didn't have a problem issuing a statement the first time around, which is basically what ignited the flames.
drbeachboy
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #387 on: July 08, 2013, 10:05:21 AM »

If what I have been stating here in this thread is even somewhat correct, then Mike shot down a new album because he didn't want a repeat from last year.

Yes, it was very strong. I am strictly talking of writing the bulk of an album together.

The Brianista Prayer

Oh Brian
Thou Art In Hawthorne,
Harmonied Be Thy name
Your Kingdom Come,
Your Steak Well Done,
Amen.  ---hypehat
Cam Mott
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #388 on: July 08, 2013, 10:05:28 AM »

In what way?

As I remember Brian said Mike came up with a hook. Also hasn't Carl said Mike is un-credited for a lot of harmony parts [not specifically GV].
« Last Edit: July 08, 2013, 10:07:58 AM by Cam Mott » Logged

Cyncie
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #389 on: July 08, 2013, 10:10:03 AM »

Do you mean this quote, "The anniversary tour was originally 50 dates, and got extended to 73. At that point Brian said: 'No more dates for us, please'".

That quote can't be right. It was Mike ALONE that ended the reunion tour. That quote can't be right. It was Brian Wilson who decided he wanted to be a Beach Boy again, who wanted to continue touring after 73 dates, who released a press statement saying he "was bummed". That quote can't be right. Mike must be lying. I guess Brian will come out with another press release and set the record straight, that it was Mike alone who ended the reunion.

Actually, I was referring to the headline. No need to get prickly. I haven't posted on here enough for you to know what my view of Brian is.

I apologize for any misunderstanding, Cyncie. My post had nothing to do with your opinion, or what your view of Brian is. My post was directly related to Mike's quote, and what it SHOULD mean to people who are blaming Mike solely for "ending" the reunion tour. If you believe that Mike is telling the truth, then Brian Wilson also wanted the reunion to end when it did, which I think is very, very significant. It would mean that several people around the world - and specifically several people on this board - would be wrong in vilifying Mike for ending the reunion solely. If you think Mike is lying in the quote, then I would expect a response from Brian's camp. He didn't have a problem issuing a statement the first time around, which is basically what ignited the flames.

Thanks for that. No harm done.
Chocolate Shake Man
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #390 on: July 08, 2013, 10:12:24 AM »

Yes, it was very strong. I am strictly talking of writing the bulk of an album together.

I know. But if the end result was so good, I can't fathom why Mike couldn't put aside his desire to relive his own rose-coloured view of the past in favour of a similar project. If he didn't have a track record of getting all hung up about really great works that he wasn't involved in in the past, I might be a bit more forgiving. As it is, this is just another sign of his ongoing childishness.
Chocolate Shake Man
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #391 on: July 08, 2013, 10:13:52 AM »

As I remember Brian said Mike came up with a hook.

Where? Mike has said otherwise. Maybe Brian meant the hook was the "I'm pickin' up good vibrations" lyrics but not melody.
« Last Edit: July 08, 2013, 10:44:46 AM by rockandroll » Logged
Chocolate Shake Man
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #392 on: July 08, 2013, 10:15:02 AM »

Also hasn't Carl said Mike is un-credited for a lot of harmony parts [not specifically GV].

I'm sure they all are to an extent but what do you mean by un-credited? Who gets credited for harmony parts?
Cam Mott
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #393 on: July 08, 2013, 10:16:12 AM »

Given that Brian has worked his best material when sitting at the piano with his collaborators (Van Dyke Parks, Tony Asher), is it really that outlandish that Mike would want to sit at a piano and work with him?

Is that how he did it, really? Heroes and Villains seems to have been a song way before Van Dyke was involved, and the same can be said about Tony Asher and You Still Believe in Me and Wouldn't It Be Nice. My thinking was that Brian typically had the basic music down before the lyricists got involved but I really don't know what the process was.

My understanding from Tony is mostly they worked together at Brian's house with Tony helping with some musical ideas and Brian helping with some lyrical ideas and Tony would also hone the lyrics or ideas at his home in the evenings.

I don't think the pre-VDP H&V made it to their collaboration which also happened mostly with them together at Brian's house even at the piano in the sandbox as I understand it.

guitarfool2002
Global Moderator

"Barba non facit aliam historici"

View Profile WWW
« Reply #394 on: July 08, 2013, 10:16:40 AM »

In what way?

As I remember Brian said Mike came up with a hook. Also hasn't Carl said Mike is un-credited for a lot of harmony parts [not specifically GV].

Short of new information I haven't heard, I think it's a stretch to say Mike had something to do with the music via a hook...If I remember the part in question, Mike's "hook" was "I'm pickin up good vibrations, she's givin me excitations" sung in his bass voice. But the actual melody Mike added those words too was in place through Brian's basslines on those takes recorded during and just after Pet Sounds, wasn't it?

I think the hook was the lyrics, added to the bass melody Brian already had on the song. But I welcome any corrections! And it is a terrific lyrical hook for that chorus, no doubt.

"All of us have the privilege of making music that helps and heals - to make music that makes people happier, stronger, and kinder. Don't forget: Music is God's voice." - Brian Wilson
Cam Mott
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #395 on: July 08, 2013, 10:17:39 AM »

As I remember Brian said Mike came up with a hook.

Where? Mike has said otherwise. Maybe Brian meant the hook were the "I'm pickin' up good vibrations" lyrics but not melody.

Maybe. I'll see if I can find it or if I remember/read it wrong.

SMiLE Brian
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #396 on: July 08, 2013, 10:18:15 AM »

I know. But if the end result was so good, I can't fathom why Mike couldn't put aside his desire to relive his own rose-coloured view of the past in favour of a similar project. If he didn't have a track record of getting all hung up about really great works that he wasn't involved in in the past, I might be a bit more forgiving. As it is, this is just another sign of his ongoing childishness.
Agreed, the main problem with Mike seems to be his unwillingness to let go of the past and accept change in the BBs. This is a man still obsessed with a long passed "surf" fad from the early 1960s.

And production aside, I’d so much rather hear a 14 year old David Marks shred some guitar on Chug-a-lug than hear a 51 year old Mike Love sing about bangin some chick in a swimming pool.-rab2591
Cam Mott
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #397 on: July 08, 2013, 10:19:45 AM »

Also hasn't Carl said Mike is un-credited for a lot of harmony parts [not specifically GV].

I'm sure they all are to an extent but what do you mean by un-credited? Who gets credited for harmony parts?

I don't know how Carl meant that. I can guess his point was things were somewhat more collaborative then people think.

Chocolate Shake Man
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #398 on: July 08, 2013, 10:20:38 AM »

My understanding from Tony is mostly they worked together at Brian's house with Tony helping with some musical ideas and Brian helping with some lyrical ideas and Tony would also hone the lyrics or ideas at his home in the evenings.

I don't think the pre-VDP H&V made it to their collaboration which also happened mostly with them together at Brian's house even at the piano in the sandbox as I understand it.

The point is is that in both cases, they may have worked together at a particular point but Brian had done a great deal of composing on his own before it got to that point.
Cam Mott
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #399 on: July 08, 2013, 10:24:31 AM »

The point is is that in both cases, they may have worked together at a particular point but Brian had done a great deal of composing on his own before it got to that point.

And the other point is that may be true but they were working together without "others", except occasionally Marilyn, in a room which is what Mike also enjoyed and prefers.

gfx
Pages: 1 ... 11 12 13 14 15 [16] 17 18 19 20 21 ... 25 Go Up Print 
gfx
Jump to:  
gfx