gfxgfx

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
logo

gfx gfx
gfx
681386 Posts in 27636 Topics by 4082 Members - Latest Member: briansclub June 05, 2024, 01:41:24 PM
gfx*HomeHelpSearchCalendarLoginRegistergfx
gfxgfx
Pages: 1 ... 8 9 10 11 12 [13] 14 15 16 17 18 ... 25 Go Down Print
Author Topic: Mike Love: 'There are a lot of fallacies about me'  (Read 100417 times)
Iron Horse-Apples
« Reply #300 on: July 07, 2013, 02:40:27 PM »

Please, just make this pain stop!
Cam Mott
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #301 on: July 07, 2013, 02:43:05 PM »

I am only talking about touring and keeping the band together after C50. As far as recording, except for MIU maybe, Mike pretty much deferred to Brian in the studio. As we all know Brian wasn't involved with SIP, and Mike was the man for that record. Except for having issues writing with Brian like in the old days, he seemed to defer to Brian with TWGMTR. Mike has made it clear over the years that he isn't into recording, as much as touring The Beach Boys. The only control that I was addressing was strictly with the touring band.

Well, Mike's always liked a certain amount of creative control too and frequently gets pissy about the material he doesn't get to contribute to. In fact, he may have deferred to Brian with TWGMTR but it is clear that he did so begrudgingly and wouldn't want to defer like that again.
I agree with that! Though, I think Mike had more issues with the lack of writing with Brian for the new album, than just deferring control to Brian. I think if Mike could write with Brian like the old days, he would not have issues recording another album in the future. Not holding my breath. Wink

I suppose I should be a bit more clear in my use of the word "control." I don't necessarily mean Mike wants full control over everything - just that there is a certain level of control he wants. In that respect, the fact that he wasn't allowed to sit with Brian and contribute in the way he used to is part and parcel of that level of control. Though, I am in agreement with the poster who noted a while back that co-writing partnership from "the old days" is largely mythical. Yes, Brian and Mike wrote a lot of songs together but Brian was far from devoted only to Mike and from the beginning made partnerships with many other artists outside the Beach Boys sphere.

Brian did have other co-authors but it's not a myth co-authorship with Mike far outnumber any other co-author and that the most successful co-authorship is by far with Mike and most by far of the most successful hits are co-authored by Mike and Brian.  Success being defined and documented by chart and sales and not personal taste.

"Bring me the head of Carmen Sandiego" Lynne "The Chief" Thigpen
Andrew G. Doe
Smiley Smile Associate

The triumph of The Hickey Script !

View Profile WWW
« Reply #302 on: July 07, 2013, 02:44:50 PM »

Brian's other non-BB collaborators, 1962-66:

Gary Usher
Jimmy Bowlles
Jan Berry
Bob Norburg
Roger Christian
Tony Asher
Terry Sachen
Van Dyke Parks

The four sweetest words in my vocabulary: "This poster is ignored".
Cam Mott
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #303 on: July 07, 2013, 02:46:10 PM »

I don't get why Mike doesn't find someone else to collaborate with.  If the creative ability and desire is still there, why not work with another songwriter to put his ideas into music?

Because he wants to work with his cousin.

SMiLE Brian
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #304 on: July 07, 2013, 02:48:59 PM »

I don't get why Mike doesn't find someone else to collaborate with.  If the creative ability and desire is still there, why not work with another songwriter to put his ideas into music?
Because he knows BW does most of the work when they collaborate. BW is the genius, ML is just along for the ride and willing to take more credit than is due. ML's work without BW has none of the genius and craftsmanship of the collaborations of the two. BW's work with others backs up that Brian is the guy who makes the songs great.

And production aside, I’d so much rather hear a 14 year old David Marks shred some guitar on Chug-a-lug than hear a 51 year old Mike Love sing about bangin some chick in a swimming pool.-rab2591
TMinthePM
Smiley Smile Associate

How can I show you Zen if you do not first empty y

View Profile
« Reply #305 on: July 07, 2013, 02:56:16 PM »

To all concerned: Please accept my sincere regrets for posting the news clip to begin with.

TO THE ADMINISTRATOR OF THIS BOARD: PLEASE PUT THIS BEAST OF A THREAD OUT OF ITS MISERY.
Iron Horse-Apples
« Reply #306 on: July 07, 2013, 03:00:48 PM »

To all concerned: Please accept my sincere regrets for posting the news clip to begin with.

TO THE ADMINISTRATOR OF THIS BOARD: PLEASE PUT THIS BEAST OF A THREAD OUT OF ITS MISERY.

Ahhhhhhh TM lad. You don't need a horoscope to tell you that a thread with the words "Mike Love" in the title is bound to end in bad karma
TMinthePM
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #307 on: July 07, 2013, 03:10:17 PM »

My good fellow - The Angels in Heaven weep for us.   Ah me...
Rocky Raccoon
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #308 on: July 07, 2013, 03:14:49 PM »

Because he knows BW does most of the work when they collaborate. BW is the genius, ML is just along for the ride and willing to take more credit than is due. ML's work without BW has none of the genius and craftsmanship of the collaborations of the two. BW's work with others backs up that Brian is the guy who makes the songs great.

Why doesn't he write with Bruce?  They are like best buddies and Bruce is a songwriter, isn't he?  Or at least he used to be.

Cam Mott
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #309 on: July 07, 2013, 03:24:06 PM »

Get him!  [carrying a torch]

Nicko1234
« Reply #310 on: July 07, 2013, 03:37:36 PM »

It`s an interesting question actually. Mike co-wrote some fine songs with the other band members like Sound of Free, Only With You, Pacific Ocean Blues, Don`t Run Away, All This is That etc. It`s a shame he didn`t find another regular collaborator when Brian pulled back.
TMinthePM
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #311 on: July 07, 2013, 03:39:32 PM »

AIR...AIR...I NEED AIR...can't...breathe....make it stop....won't somebody....please...make it...stop...(fades to black)
halblaineisgood
« Reply #312 on: July 07, 2013, 03:39:35 PM »

Brianistas don't like screwing poor people.
drbeachboy
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #313 on: July 07, 2013, 03:43:03 PM »

AIR...AIR...I NEED AIR...can't...breathe....make it stop....won't somebody....please...make it...stop...(fades to black)

Believe me, you enjoy every second of this sh*t. Every thread that you have started has evolved into a contentious mess. Zen, my a$$! Wink

The Brianista Prayer

Oh Brian
Thou Art In Hawthorne,
Harmonied Be Thy name
Your Kingdom Come,
Your Steak Well Done,
On Stage As It Is In Studio,
Give Us This Day, Our Shortenin' Bread
And Forgive Us Our Bootlegs,
As We Also Have Forgiven Our Wife And Managers,
And Lead Us Not Into Kokomo,
But Deliver Us From Mike Love.
Amen.  ---hypehat
Iron Horse-Apples
« Reply #314 on: July 07, 2013, 03:44:50 PM »

Brianistas don't like screwing poor people.

Screwing in the British sense?
TMinthePM
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #315 on: July 07, 2013, 03:45:37 PM »

You have the manners of a horses ass.
drbeachboy
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #316 on: July 07, 2013, 03:51:07 PM »

You have the manners of a horses ass.

Who, me or Stephen?

The Brianista Prayer

Oh Brian
Thou Art In Hawthorne,
Harmonied Be Thy name
Your Kingdom Come,
Your Steak Well Done,
Amen.  ---hypehat
TMinthePM
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #317 on: July 07, 2013, 03:59:37 PM »

Oh, it certainly has been noted. There's been talk. A lot of talk. I didn't want to mention it...but now....
Doo Dah
Smiley Smile Associate

One man's troll is another man's freedom fighter.

View Profile
« Reply #318 on: July 07, 2013, 04:31:20 PM »

This circular argument will die down...only to resume when Brian, Dave and Alan hit the road. While I don't expect any 'rabbits outta the hat' setlist-wise, I'm sure there will be plenty to chew over and consider.

At the end of a summer day, I'm excited over seeing what Brian cooks up for a live show. Mike's threadbare back-to-basics revue holds no interest to me. Because I KNOW better. That's why. As the saying goes, your mileage may vary.

Hopefully David Marks will put down his guitar, clap his hands and exhort the audience to get up and sing along. Oh wait...I'm sorry...different band.
« Last Edit: July 07, 2013, 04:35:18 PM by Doo Dah » Logged

AGD is gone.
AGD is gone.
Heigh ho the derry-o
AGD is gone
drbeachboy
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #319 on: July 07, 2013, 04:48:16 PM »

This circular argument will die down...only to resume when Brian, Dave and Alan hit the road. While I don't expect any 'rabbits outta the hat' setlist-wise, I'm sure there will be plenty to chew over and consider.

At the end of a summer day, I'm excited over seeing what Brian cooks up for a live show. Mike's threadbare back-to-basics revue holds no interest to me. Because I KNOW better. That's why. As the saying goes, your mileage may vary.

Hopefully David Marks will put down his guitar, clap his hands and exhort the audience to get up and sing along. Oh wait...I'm sorry...different band.
I am going to the mini-tour opening show in Atlantic City. 13 days to go and counting.

The Brianista Prayer

Oh Brian
Thou Art In Hawthorne,
Harmonied Be Thy name
Your Kingdom Come,
Your Steak Well Done,
Amen.  ---hypehat
Phoenix
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #320 on: July 07, 2013, 05:40:04 PM »

As someone else recently noted, Brian's shows with Al and Dave will feature the guy who wrote VERY close to all they music they're likely to perform, the best current singer of any of the Beach Boys, the best Beach Boys instrumentalist, plus (in at least mine and Brian's opinions Grin ) the best Beach Boys non-Brian falsetto singer.  Mike and Bruce do have the original voice on most of the early stuff but it just seems odd when that group plays stuff like "God Only Knows", "Wouldn't It Be Nice", and "Help Me Rhonda", without Carl, Brian, or Al; especially in short sets like the most recent Hyde Park show. 

Brian's shows have always kinda been about "the music of Brian Wilson" and Al and Dave will probably make them seem even more like "the Beach Boys".
Cyncie
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #321 on: July 07, 2013, 06:19:26 PM »

Well, this can't be right.

http://www.dailystar.co.uk/playlist/view/325039/Surf-s-up-again-for-the-Beach-Boys
JohnMill
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #322 on: July 07, 2013, 06:21:35 PM »

The merda is really going to hit the fan when MIC is released and Mike Love's essay becomes public.  If it includes any hint of waxing nostalgic or poetic over the band or it's members aside from Bruce Johnston, he will be nailed to a stake by the majority of the diehards.  As I mentioned before this discussion is likely to continue for years and will probably replace the "I hate Mike Love because he stomped SMiLE" line of thinking for Beach Boys fans inclined to think the worst of Love at every turn.  They now have something new to justify (if only in their own minds) their dislike of Mike Love.

God Bless California
For It Marks My Faith To See
You're The Only State With The Sacred Honor
....to sink into the sea
JohnMill
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #323 on: July 07, 2013, 06:24:52 PM »

Daily Star isn't the most reputable source in the world but they do seem to ascribe some quotes to Mike Love:

I don’t know how that sacking controversy started. I’d love to work with Brian again.  The anniversary tour was originally 50 dates, and got extended to 73.  At that point, Brian said: ‘No more dates for us, please.  So once we finished those 73 shows we went back to the line-up of the band before he rejoined.”

I highly doubt the validity of this piece but if there is anything to it there is nothing short of bombshells galore in this tiny tight little quote here.  From Brian Wilson being the instigator as to the end of the C50 to the door apparently being open to Wilson rejoining the act.  I call bollocks but there ya have it I guess.

Edit: The more I read this piece the more it sounds like typical Daily Star writing.  They start off with what is a legitimate news story in this case the alleged sacking of Wilson at the conclusion of the C50 last autumn (even though we all know that not to be the case).  They then use the rest of the piece to ruminate and expound upon that news story, creating a new one in the process.  The headline of "Beach Boys are set to reform their classic lineup" is obviously a misleading one as while the quotes from Love indicate among other things that the door is open to work with cousin Brian again there are no firm plans (that we know of anyhow) for that to happen anytime soon inclusive of the other Beach Boys or not.  However, the quote that seems to reference Brian Wilson being the one who put a halt to the C50 deserves more investigation although given the context of where this quote was found again probably bollocks.  
« Last Edit: July 07, 2013, 06:34:14 PM by JohnMill » Logged

God Bless California
For It Marks My Faith To See
You're The Only State With The Sacred Honor
....to sink into the sea
Shady
Smiley Smile Associate

I had to fix a lot of things this morning

View Profile
« Reply #324 on: July 07, 2013, 06:40:09 PM »

That is literally the most misleading story I have read in a long time.

According to someone who would know.

Seriously, there was a Beach Boys Love You condom?!  Amazing.
gfx
Pages: 1 ... 8 9 10 11 12 [13] 14 15 16 17 18 ... 25 Go Up Print 
gfx
Jump to:  
gfx