gfxgfx

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
logo

gfx gfx
gfx
681539 Posts in 27641 Topics by 4082 Members - Latest Member: briansclub June 11, 2024, 04:15:16 PM
gfx*HomeHelpSearchCalendarLoginRegistergfx
gfxgfx
Pages: 1 ... 4 5 6 7 8 [9] 10 11 12 13 14 ... 25 Go Down Print
Author Topic: Mike Love: 'There are a lot of fallacies about me'  (Read 100593 times)
Pretty Funky
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #200 on: July 06, 2013, 03:07:07 PM »

I still think Mike has a good thing going on tour. A small tour party, plenty of gigs, a slick well proven operation that still sells tickets with little or no stress. I can think of no reason why he would want to put a spanner in the works and ruin that, C50 aside.
drbeachboy
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #201 on: July 06, 2013, 03:16:18 PM »

Also: Brian chose to marry Melinda. He did not choose to have Mike Love as a cousin.
I never said anything one way or the other. Mike has made it clear that he wasn't happy having to deal with Brian's people during the tour and probably while recording the album. Also, I never specifically mentioned Melinda, just used the overall term. Hearing the way Brian is protected (for lack of a better word) by his people, it must be tough as a family member to get past that. sh*t, even Al has complained about that in the past 10 years or so. Tough when trying to be a unified band, I would think.

The Brianista Prayer

Oh Brian
Thou Art In Hawthorne,
Harmonied Be Thy name
Your Kingdom Come,
Your Steak Well Done,
On Stage As It Is In Studio,
Give Us This Day, Our Shortenin' Bread
And Forgive Us Our Bootlegs,
As We Also Have Forgiven Our Wife And Managers,
And Lead Us Not Into Kokomo,
But Deliver Us From Mike Love.
Amen.  ---hypehat
Shady
Smiley Smile Associate

I had to fix a lot of things this morning

View Profile
« Reply #202 on: July 06, 2013, 03:17:39 PM »

I still think Mike has a good thing going on tour. A small tour party, plenty of gigs, a slick well proven operation that still sells tickets with little or no stress. I can think of no reason why he would want to put a spanner in the works and ruin that, C50 aside.

I don't know. How about not showing his band mates the door and continuing with his "small party tour"

According to someone who would know.

Seriously, there was a Beach Boys Love You condom?!  Amazing.
Pretty Funky
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #203 on: July 06, 2013, 03:30:08 PM »

More people...more baggage. Wink

BTW. I can see this thread heading to a 'why did Mike end the C50' discussion. Go look up one of those threads.
« Last Edit: July 06, 2013, 03:36:42 PM by Pretty Funky » Logged
Jason
« Reply #204 on: July 06, 2013, 03:36:46 PM »

I don't know. How about not showing his band mates the door and continuing with his "small party tour"

No one was fired. The tour ended.
leggo of my ego
Smiley Smile Associate

Beach Boys Stomp

View Profile
« Reply #205 on: July 06, 2013, 03:41:31 PM »

Everyone who thinks they dont hate Love has frozen anger.  Grin

Hey Little Tomboy is creepy. Banging women by the pool is fun and conjures up warm summer thoughts a Beach Boys song should.

Necessity knows no law
A bootlegger knows no law
Therefore: A bootlegger is a necessity
Wirestone
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #206 on: July 06, 2013, 03:44:26 PM »

Maybe it would be better to direct our disappointment at those who made Mike so put off after he had been led to believe certain things, had gone the extra mile, and played ball with them on their terms. Maybe the wrong guy is getting blamed for the wrong reasons.

Playing ball "on their terms" netted Mike a great deal of money, an "executive producer" credit, and four co-writing credits on the comeback album. Going "the extra mile" meant he played bigger venues than he'd seen in years, with the opportunity for even bigger (MSG residency among them). It meant critical and fan reception that they hadn't seen since the 70s.

I understand that Joe Thomas is the scheming villain in this scenario, and the BAD tour this summer seems like a shot across the bow of the long-established BRI corporate structure. But if Mike is now ruing the day he went into the C50, only to see Brian and his evil enablers attempt to undermine his gravy train, perhaps he should have had a more magnanimous attitude after Carl's death and not made firing Al his first order of business. Perhaps he should have tried to run the band as, you know, a band, rather than an extended solo and ogling groupies project. Perhaps his first reaction to Brian releasing Smile as a solo project shouldn't have been suing his cousin over it.

If Mike feels betrayed or used now, he might want to imagine how it felt being Al or Brian or summarily dismissed backing band members over the last 15 years. That couldn't have been pleasant either.

On Mike's insistence. Which meant that Brian and Al and Dave couldn't tour as the Beach Boys anymore. Which meant that Mike and Bruce still could. I understand that technically it's not a firing. But as Brian said, it sure feels like it.
« Last Edit: July 06, 2013, 03:45:47 PM by Wirestone » Logged
Andrew G. Doe
Smiley Smile Associate

The triumph of The Hickey Script !

View Profile WWW
« Reply #207 on: July 06, 2013, 03:48:08 PM »

Whats the last great lyric Mike wrote? not slagging him off, just curious.

Ummmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmm...

"Pacific Ocean Blues" ?  And before that... "Only With You".

The four sweetest words in my vocabulary: "This poster is ignored".
Wirestone
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #208 on: July 06, 2013, 03:53:54 PM »

Whats the last great lyric Mike wrote? not slagging him off, just curious.

Ummmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmm...

"Pacific Ocean Blues" ?  And before that... "Only With You".

I like "Cool Head, Warm Heart" quite a bit. Not the most profound lyric, but well-crafted.
Shady
Smiley Smile Associate

I had to fix a lot of things this morning

View Profile
« Reply #209 on: July 06, 2013, 04:01:16 PM »

On Mike's insistence. Which meant that Brian and Al and Dave couldn't tour as the Beach Boys anymore. Which meant that Mike and Bruce still could. I understand that technically it's not a firing. But as Brian said, it sure feels like it.

Why is this so hard for people to comprehend?

According to someone who would know.

Seriously, there was a Beach Boys Love You condom?!  Amazing.
SMiLE Brian
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #210 on: July 06, 2013, 04:02:32 PM »

I agree with Wirestone 100% about Mike's actions since 1998. M&B isn't right when Brian, Al, and David want to tour with M&B as the real "BBs".

And production aside, I’d so much rather hear a 14 year old David Marks shred some guitar on Chug-a-lug than hear a 51 year old Mike Love sing about bangin some chick in a swimming pool.-rab2591
Jason
« Reply #211 on: July 06, 2013, 04:08:02 PM »

You must not know the politics that go on at Brother Records, Inc.
Wirestone
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #212 on: July 06, 2013, 04:15:07 PM »

You must not know the politics that go on at Brother Records, Inc.

We know. We just don't care.

The C50 tour was the right way to do things. Ending it was the wrong way. The name should be retired if the five guys aren't touring. And if Mike insists on using it for his group, his license should be ended. Given the repeated confusion that his dates are causing now, across the country, this only makes sense legally. Hopefully folks are working on making that a reality now.

And yes, I realize that if the license is taken from Mike, he wouldn't tour with the other guys and be angry. Fine. The world won't end if the Beach Boys name does.
Moon Dawg
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #213 on: July 06, 2013, 05:06:31 PM »

I think it's super insulting to Brian that he makes it sound like Joe Thomas engineered the proceedings so Brian and Mike wouldn't write together.

Only if it's not true. Even thought about that possibility ?

Sooooo...you believe Brian himself had nothing to do with that?

Your point as stated was that Thomas didn't have anything to do with Mike & Brian not sitting down and writing, and my response was, maybe you should consider that, perhaps, he did. Both sides of the argument and all that.

Good point sir. Writing with Brian for C50 was of great emotional import to Mike Love, and whatever writing they actually did together was highly regimented by Brian and/or Brian's people. 
MBE
« Reply #214 on: July 06, 2013, 05:14:07 PM »

Thoughts and again a plea for those to try to be a little more understanding of all sides.

I think the thing people just don't understand is that the group broke up many many years ago. Yet to get a show with Brian as good as 2012 you would have to go back to 1970, or maybe a really good night in 1976. They gave us more than anything I imagined last year. Maybe it's just that I am more interested in the things they did in the sixties and seventies than the things they have done since. Maybe I just remember that Mike was always going back on tour and I knew this in June of last year. Actually it was public knowledge, just not made a big deal.

Let it go. They aren't a band, haven't been in decades. Even the last twenty years Carl was alive they weren't a group in any true sense of the word. Mike being the Beach Boys touring band in 2013 doesn't mean a hell of a lot. This being good or bad is not even an issue anymore, it was decided a long time ago and that's how it is.

Frankly the reunion would have meant less and the standard just would not have held up. They left it at a creative peak we didn't even dream of, they did good. Only problem is (and has been for forty years) is that they played their problems out in the press where it only needed to be the 5 of them in a room discussing a group plan. It's made too complicated by those they make money for.

The LP was good, but Mike raised a good point if you just had The Beach Boys doing all the writing and producing than you would have something even better. Still I only want a Beach Boys album or tour if they all want it equally. Take any of them out and it just is not going to be what we got last year.
« Last Edit: July 06, 2013, 05:21:36 PM by Mike Eder » Logged
JohnMill
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #215 on: July 06, 2013, 05:16:27 PM »

I look it as Mike quit "The Beach Boys" rather than having fired anyone from the group.  The way Al phrased it last week was perfect in my opinion when he said in his opinion "the door was opinion for Mike to return" or something to that effect.  I know Mike still tours his version of the band around the globe and uses "The Beach Boys" name which seems to tick some fans off to no end but personally I have no issue with it.  Perhaps it's because I see through the name and don't consider M&B to be "The Beach Boys".  So that is my mindset anyhow.  It's a shame the C50 lineup didn't carry on but from where I stand Mike isn't the villain here.  I think there is blame to be handed out both sides of the argument as to why the C50 lineup of the band isn't touring this summer.

God Bless California
For It Marks My Faith To See
You're The Only State With The Sacred Honor
....to sink into the sea
Cam Mott
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #216 on: July 06, 2013, 05:20:51 PM »

Maybe it would be better to direct our disappointment at those who made Mike so put off after he had been led to believe certain things, had gone the extra mile, and played ball with them on their terms. Maybe the wrong guy is getting blamed for the wrong reasons.

Playing ball "on their terms" netted Mike a great deal of money, an "executive producer" credit, and four co-writing credits on the comeback album. Going "the extra mile" meant he played bigger venues than he'd seen in years, with the opportunity for even bigger (MSG residency among them). It meant critical and fan reception that they hadn't seen since the 70s.

I understand that Joe Thomas is the scheming villain in this scenario, and the BAD tour this summer seems like a shot across the bow of the long-established BRI corporate structure. But if Mike is now ruing the day he went into the C50, only to see Brian and his evil enablers attempt to undermine his gravy train, perhaps he should have had a more magnanimous attitude after Carl's death and not made firing Al his first order of business. Perhaps he should have tried to run the band as, you know, a band, rather than an extended solo and ogling groupies project. Perhaps his first reaction to Brian releasing Smile as a solo project shouldn't have been suing his cousin over it.

If Mike feels betrayed or used now, he might want to imagine how it felt being Al or Brian or summarily dismissed backing band members over the last 15 years. That couldn't have been pleasant either.

And the other guys got a great deal out of it too. Mike has made it plain it is not all about money and his ego, if you want to believe it is anyway then you will. As I said some got their way and still wanted and got more and we are supposed to bust Mike's chops because he gave more. Let's all take a deep breath.

"Bring me the head of Carmen Sandiego" Lynne "The Chief" Thigpen
KittyKat
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #217 on: July 06, 2013, 05:24:09 PM »

I find it tiring that people are saying the same things over and over that they've been saying since the Internet became commonplace and these BB messageboards have been around. There are people who read the David Leaf book and/or Brian's fake autobiography and despise Mike and think Brian is always right. Mike's supporters seem to be people who enjoy Mike's concerts without Brian, and to be fair, there was no option to see Brian in concert as a solo or a Beach Boy until 1999. Others are in the middle somewhere. In any case, I'm not sure what good it does to say what a poopy-head Mike is over and over. Brian is a genius and he was the Beach Boys. Without Brian, Mike would be pumping gas. Whatever. It changes nothing. Nine pages and counting proves that. Not one person is going to change Mike or get the Beach Boys reunion to run ad nauseum similar to what the Eagles have been doing since 1994, or the Stones, or Cher. At least they went out on a high point.
JohnMill
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #218 on: July 06, 2013, 05:31:04 PM »

Thoughts and again a plea for those to try to be a little more understanding of all sides,

I think the thing people just don't understand is that the group broke up many many years ago. Yet to get a show with Brian as good as 2012 you would have to go back to 1970, or maybe a really good night in 1976. They gave us more than anything I imagined last year. Maybe it's just that I am more interested in the things they did in the sixties and seventies than the things they have done since. Maybe I just remember that Mike was always going back on tour and I knew this in June of last year. Actually it was public knowledge, just not made a big deal.

Let it go. They aren't a band, haven't been in decades. Mike being the Beach Boys touring band in 2013 doesn't mean a hell of a lot. This being good or bad is not even an issue anymore, it was decided a long time ago and that's how it is.

Frankly the reunion would have meant less and the standard just would not have held up. They left it at a creative peak we didn't even dream of, they did good. Only problem is (and has been for forty years) is that they played their problems out in the press where it only needed to be the 5 of them in a room discussing a group plan. It's made too complicated by those they make money for.

The LP was good, but Mike raised a good point if you just had The Beach Boys doing all the writing and producing than you would have something even better. Still I only want a Beach Boys album or tour if they all want it equally. Take any of them out and it just is not going to be what we got last year.

What kills your entire argument with all due respect is last year to many of us they seemed to be a living, breathing entity ready to become both an active band again on stage and in the studio.  There were many of us hoping for at least another tour and maybe a couple more records coming off the high of the C50.  Quite frankly that would be what any reasonable person would expect.  You might have felt that Mike Love was going to return to the road with M&B incarnation of the band but you were in the minority.  So from that vantage point I understand a lot of fans not being able to let this go so easily and I predict this will be a topic that will continue for YEARS (yes not months but years) among Beach Boys and Brian Wilson fans.  The reason being is because at least in my opinion many of us felt like we were sold a bill of goods last year and in the end were left holding the bag and shaking our heads.  Everything about the C50 last year centered around group harmony and the idea that the myriad of problems that had plagued this band since the passing of Carl Wilson (and maybe before) were done, settled and buried and brighter days were ahead for the band and their fans.

It was only after the tour had concluded that reports starting coming back that Mike Love was genuinely unhappy with many aspects of the C50 and may have been merely counting the days until he could get back to doing his own thing.  

The other issue and this one pertains specifically to Love that many fans have a problem with is that he continually tries to paint the ending of the C50 as a mutual decision between all the parties throwing out explanations like "set start and end date" and "we're all getting back to doing what we love" which flies directly in the face of what Wilson and Jardine have stated which essentially is Mike Love decided to carry on without them.  Now as I mentioned above I don't see Wilson/Jardine/Marks being "kicked to the curb" but for Mike Love to pass off the end of the C50 as a mutual decision between all parties is complete and total nonsense.  Wilson/Jardine/Mark would all still be involved with "The Beach Boys" in some capacity right now had Mike decided not to pull both himself and Johnston out of the group OR if you prefer to look at it as some fans do, kick Wilson/Jardine/Marks to the curb.  

There are also a ton of questions surrounding the C50 many of which the answers remain frustratingly elusive.  First for all of the vilification of Mike Love by members of this forum, it just does not make sense from a financial or business perspective for Love not to have carried on with the C50.  Therefore as I myself have stated many times now, I wonder if there was a point (or several points) during the C50 when Love tried to express his list of concerns (which he has since somewhat gone public with) with the appropriate parties and those concerns were either not addressed or ignored?  Second Mike Love in many of his post C50 interviews continues to express regret over not being able to write songs with Brian Wilson and many of us believe that the reason the C50 didn't carry on was because of an issue between the two cousins.  That being said why weren't David Marks and Al Jardine asked to join the M&B lineup of the band if the issues Mike Love had with the C50 were as Brian Wilson centric as they have been painted to be since the end of the tour?  

God Bless California
For It Marks My Faith To See
You're The Only State With The Sacred Honor
....to sink into the sea
Kurosawa
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #219 on: July 06, 2013, 06:22:28 PM »

I think Mike would rather leave money on the table than put up with Brian and his people. He's making less money on the current tour, to be certain, but he's in charge and I think he's just happier that way. As for Al and Dave, he doesn't need them for his band or he would have them there. Bruce is enough to pass if off as the Beach Boys to all but the diehards.

I do wish Mike would actually make some new music on his own or with Brian. I don't understand why he and Bruce don't write songs together. When Mike has been on musically, he has written some excellent songs, and the most interesting part of the interview was him talking about his solo stuff. I'd really like to hear why Mike has to say, myself.

I have nothing against the man, I just think he and Brian don't make a good team anymore, but I think that if Mike would he could still make some good new music. The main reason I consider Brian's current career more legitimate is at least he's recording new stuff, even if a lot of the most recent stuff was covers.

I don't like oldies nostalgia shows with no new music. The Who did it for years and it pissed me off with them doing it as well.  Even if it sucks and doesn't sell-make an album. At least try.

Member of the Anaheim Azusa and Cucamonga sewing circle book review and timing association (the double-ACASSN).
Mark Dillon
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #220 on: July 06, 2013, 06:51:10 PM »

Sorry to interrupt with a technicality and sorry if this has been mentioned. Mike says "When Good Vibrations went to No 1 in 1966 and Great Britain voted us the No 1 group (1) – No 2 the Beatles, No 3 the Stones – that was pretty special." You'd assume #3 was the Stones, but actually it was the Walker Brothers.

Alan: “God forbid any other Beach Boys go up onstage and actually be a Beach Boy.”
Wirestone
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #221 on: July 06, 2013, 06:58:40 PM »

Mike has made it plain it is not all about money and his ego, if you want to believe it is anyway then you will. As I said some got their way and still wanted and got more and we are supposed to bust Mike's chops because he gave more. Let's all take a deep breath.

And how has he made that plain? Precisely, please.

An you know perfectly well that no one is busting Mike's chops because he "gave more." He's criticized because he blew up a one-of-a-kind reunion of a legendary group.

I find it tiring that people are saying the same things over and over that they've been saying since the Internet became commonplace and these BB messageboards have been around. There are people who read the David Leaf book and/or Brian's fake autobiography and despise Mike and think Brian is always right. Mike's supporters seem to be people who enjoy Mike's concerts without Brian, and to be fair, there was no option to see Brian in concert as a solo or a Beach Boy until 1999. Others are in the middle somewhere. In any case, I'm not sure what good it does to say what a poopy-head Mike is over and over. Brian is a genius and he was the Beach Boys. Without Brian, Mike would be pumping gas. Whatever. It changes nothing. Nine pages and counting proves that. Not one person is going to change Mike or get the Beach Boys reunion to run ad nauseum similar to what the Eagles have been doing since 1994, or the Stones, or Cher. At least they went out on a high point.

The notion that somehow people who are fans of Brian are so because they're brainwashed by naughty books is simply nonsense. It's perfectly easy to examine the actual historical record and draw one's own conclusions, especially in the 20-plus years that aren't covered by either of those volumes (one of which is impossible to find anyway, so I have no idea why you think it would inform anyone's message board posts).

« Last Edit: July 06, 2013, 06:59:34 PM by Wirestone » Logged
Gertie J.
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #222 on: July 06, 2013, 07:04:29 PM »

Sorry to interrupt with a technicality and sorry if this has been mentioned. Mike says "When Good Vibrations went to No 1 in 1966 and Great Britain voted us the No 1 group (1) – No 2 the Beatles, No 3 the Stones – that was pretty special." You'd assume #3 was the Stones, but actually it was the Walker Brothers.

the best post on here so far. no sryz.  Smiley

dj, blogger, and hanger-on
Wirestone
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #223 on: July 06, 2013, 07:11:20 PM »

Darkness.

Darkness all around.

No music, no sound, not a single note in the blackness of space.

I float toward an incredible singularity. There it floats in the void, a giant floating bald head with little squinty eyes.

I understand now. I understand.
« Last Edit: July 06, 2013, 07:17:11 PM by Wirestone » Logged
Gertie J.
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #224 on: July 06, 2013, 07:41:52 PM »

^ post of the year.  w00t!

dj, blogger, and hanger-on
gfx
Pages: 1 ... 4 5 6 7 8 [9] 10 11 12 13 14 ... 25 Go Up Print 
gfx
Jump to: