gfxgfx

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
logo

gfx gfx
gfx
681443 Posts in 27636 Topics by 4082 Members - Latest Member: briansclub June 06, 2024, 07:03:49 PM
gfx*HomeHelpSearchCalendarLoginRegistergfx
gfxgfx
Pages: 1 2 3 [4] 5 6 7 8 9 ... 25 Go Down Print
Author Topic: Mike Love: 'There are a lot of fallacies about me'  (Read 100443 times)
SurfRiderHawaii
Smiley Smile Associate

Add Some Music to your day!

View Profile
« Reply #75 on: July 05, 2013, 02:15:49 AM »

Speaking of interviews, this Brian interview from 1974 is fantastic.  He is so sharp, entertaining  and together.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=379l_T3MRpE

"Brian is The Beach Boys. He is the band. We're his f***ing messengers. He is all of it. Period. We're nothing. He's everything" - Dennis Wilson
Loaf
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #76 on: July 05, 2013, 02:33:23 AM »

If (for instance) Smile alone is the crux for most people, listen to Mike's vocals during those sessions. Like his other band mates his singing was brilliant. He has a lot of faults, but when I think of Smile myself I enjoy the performances and forget about any drama. If he didn't end up doing his job so well, maybe I would complain more too.

I'm not the first one to say it, but whatever Mike thought of Van Dyke's lyrics to Cabin Essence, he sure sung the hell out of them. Brian couldn't have asked for a better performance. If Brian had the urge to finish Smile, he could have done.
filledeplage
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #77 on: July 05, 2013, 05:18:21 AM »

I'll say one thing that he was correct about, and that is, we do have too much time on our hands.
Exactly! Mike Love really told the truth with that one. Seriously. I'm not a Pro-Lover by any means, but he told it like it is. Especially concerning some of the people on this board. They have no lives, and have nothing else in the world to do but come on this board and rag on Mike about this and that and the other thing. The guy can't do anything right. Especially on the subject of the end of the C50 tour.  It's really old hat.
Mikie - I was impressed that Mike meant the "hater-specific" sites, and not the general music of the BB's discussion.  There are many music students, and working musicians who have learned much from this music.

Frankly, I waited a long time, for a forum which was not available when I was living my life in high school and college, etc, with the great wealth of their music always in the background. It is a gift - this forum.  Most, here are mature and can be objective, despite personal likes and dislikes.  I'm delighted to see Mike articulate the truth about this calamity of a CD. My head nearly exploded, when I first heard it.  When a cell phone audio and video are found superior to a so-called professional, the standard merits investigation.  I'm holding out hope that the London Shows would be released "raw" (as the cell phones recording) and in a DVD/CD format.  I liken it to "boiling filet mignon."  It might be redemption.

As for writing with Brian; three's a crowd.  Despite other contributors, Brian and Mike are the main men.  It's their vision, and their synergy.  For me, it is still a deal-breaker. 

And, enjoy Al's event! I'm sure that those who plan to attend appreciate your insight into the parking dilemma!  Wink

Sheriff John Stone
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #78 on: July 05, 2013, 05:41:30 AM »

The world is not missing out on 40 minutes of Spring Vacation.

In Mike's opinion, yes, the world IS missing that. And, Mike's thought that way since, when, 1974? Mike always did and always will "go with the numbers". Most Beach Boys' fans prefer the 1962-1965 period. Those songs get the biggest applause at the concerts. The comps continue to sell because of those songs. Mike truly believes those songs are what define The Beach Boys. Those are the songs that made them millionaires. Those are the songs that won them MOST of the praise they have received in their career. We on this board, and a certain percentage of fans adamantly disagree with Mike. But, he will continue to promote that period. He will continue to "go with the numbers". To Mike, he feels that is logical, that will trump everything else, that's all he knows. History is on his side. We know that because Mike keeps telling us about it.

And you know what? maybe "Spring Vacation" would've been a semi-hit single last spring/summer. Maybe more "Spring Vacation"-like songs would've sold even more copies of TWGMTR. Maybe the disappointment (for the average fan) of TWGMTR was the lack of vintage sounding Beach Boys' songs. Replace "The Private Life Of Bill And Sue" and add another B.Wilson/M. Love rocker and do you have a stronger album? On this board - a resounding NNNNNNNNOOOOOOOOOOO! But, for the millions of Beach Boys' fans - YYYYYEEEEESSSSSSS! According to the gospel of Michael Edward Love. It'll never change, and it will continue to divide everyone and everything, sadly....
Andrew G. Doe
Smiley Smile Associate

The triumph of The Hickey Script !

View Profile WWW
« Reply #79 on: July 05, 2013, 06:28:22 AM »

Here's a few more comments left beneath Mike's interview. Please note: I am NOT saying I agree and/or disagree with these, I'm just posting them as an example of people's differentiating (and often extreme) opinions of Mike. This first one is pretty shocking (I've never heard anyone ever claim 'Mike popped champagne when Dennis died').

Classic example of Chinese Whispers, and the reason why having old dudes like me around, who remember the original reports, is actually a good thing. Yes, Mike popped champagne at the memorial service for Dennis. On the way he bought four bottles of the most expensive bubbly he could find because he figured (doubtless correctly) Dennis would appreciate the gesture. The champagne was drunk at the 'reception' after the service, then Mike & Brian shot baskets out back and talked about Dennis...

Wait...

BRIAN PLAYED HOOPS AT DENNIS' WAKE ??

What a positively disgusting display of tactlessness... what a complete lack of reverence for his recently departed sibling... the man obviously has no shred of human decency. Of course, you'd expect Mike to do that, but Brian ?

Being sarcastic, in case some folk didn't notice, but fact is, the champagne story - a nice gesture to his cousin - has become twisted over time into another example of what a complete ass Mike is. I'm sure there are many, many more examples.

The four sweetest words in my vocabulary: "This poster is ignored".
Jim V.
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #80 on: July 05, 2013, 06:31:50 AM »

The champagne was drunk

How dare you go on to comment about the state of the champagne at Dennis' memorial?

By the way, I'm pretty sure it was "drank", not drunk.
Rocky Raccoon
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #81 on: July 05, 2013, 06:38:23 AM »

Drinken, actually.

filledeplage
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #82 on: July 05, 2013, 07:03:09 AM »

The champagne was drunk

How dare you go on to comment about the state of the champagne at Dennis' memorial?

By the way, I'm pretty sure it was "drank", not drunk.
Andrew is correct. Past participle of drink is drunk
Drink - present
Drank - simple past
Drunk - past participle.

Champagne toast after the service, absolutely appropriate. 

As is the game of hoop, to de-stress.   Wink

Is Andrew an "old dude?" Nah!  LOL - I'll drink to that!  Beer
drbeachboy
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #83 on: July 05, 2013, 07:21:24 AM »

What amazes me in here is that we are the knowledgeable ones. We are the hard-core fans that follow and study the band and are supposed to know our sh*t, yet we start a thread like this and say the most stupid stuff when we should know better. It truly saddens me that WE are just as responsible for spreading false rumors and downright lies as the HATE sites that pop up about Mike.

The Brianista Prayer

Oh Brian
Thou Art In Hawthorne,
Harmonied Be Thy name
Your Kingdom Come,
Your Steak Well Done,
On Stage As It Is In Studio,
Give Us This Day, Our Shortenin' Bread
And Forgive Us Our Bootlegs,
As We Also Have Forgiven Our Wife And Managers,
And Lead Us Not Into Kokomo,
But Deliver Us From Mike Love.
Amen.  ---hypehat
Jim V.
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #84 on: July 05, 2013, 07:23:29 AM »

I think it's super insulting to Brian that he makes it sound like Joe Thomas engineered the proceedings so Brian and Mike wouldn't write together. I get the vibe that he really does think "cousin Brian" is a brainless vegetable that can't think for himself. And once again, let's look at the true facts. It was pretty much said by Joe Thomas that both "Isn't It Time" and "Beaches In Mind" were both made up right there at the studio. Sounds pretty damn organic to me. And say, if the greatest living composer asks me to write some lyrics to an old gospel type thing ("Lay Down Your Burden"→"Spring Vacation"), I'd still feel really happy, because even though he's my cousin, I'd still be through over the moon that this amazing musician still wanted to work with me after all these years. And then to hear that I can do another album with this same cousin and great group of guys? Surely with some more writing contributions? I can't see why Mike wouldn't want it, besides the fact that he thinks his cousin is a pathetic shell abused by greedy advisers, and that he knows best.

I gotta say, I got a little chuckle out of "There's a song called Going to the Beach, a Beach Boys summertime classic." So the man still has his doubts about some of the SMiLE material, but "Goin' To The Beach"? Summertime classic.  Roll Eyes

On that note though, I really do hope he starts getting some solo material out there. He has some good music. I thought that the two original solo songs he has released this millennium, "Cool Head, Warm Heart" and "Love Like in Fairytales" were both pretty nice. And it seems like he was waiting for Capitol or somebody to offer him a contract for this stuff, not realizing that while there is a market for Mike Love solo material, it is SO incredibly small. But it would make sense to put it on iTunes and sell copies on his website and at Beach Boys shows. Unless he doesn't think it's up to snuff. Which I think is partially the problem a little bit too. Cuz even though he has some nice stuff, some is horrendous.

drbeachboy
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #85 on: July 05, 2013, 07:29:35 AM »

I think it's super insulting to Brian that he makes it sound like Joe Thomas engineered the proceedings so Brian and Mike wouldn't write together. I get the vibe that he really does think "cousin Brian" is a brainless vegetable that can't think for himself. And once again, let's look at the true facts. It was pretty much said by Joe Thomas that both "Isn't It Time" and "Beaches In Mind" were both made up right there at the studio. Sounds pretty damn organic to me. And say, if the greatest living composer asks me to write some lyrics to an old gospel type thing ("Lay Down Your Burden"→"Spring Vacation"), I'd still feel really happy, because even though he's my cousin, I'd still be through over the moon that this amazing musician still wanted to work with me after all these years. And then to hear that I can do another album with this same cousin and great group of guys? Surely with some more writing contributions? I can't see why Mike wouldn't want it, besides the fact that he thinks his cousin is a pathetic shell abused by greedy advisers, and that he knows best.

I gotta say, I got a little chuckle out of "There's a song called Going to the Beach, a Beach Boys summertime classic." So the man still has his doubts about some of the SMiLE material, but "Goin' To The Beach"? Summertime classic.  Roll Eyes

On that note though, I really do hope he starts getting some solo material out there. He has some good music. I thought that the two original solo songs he has released this millennium, "Cool Head, Warm Heart" and "Love Like in Fairytales" were both pretty nice. And it seems like he was waiting for Capitol or somebody to offer him a contract for this stuff, not realizing that while there is a market for Mike Love solo material, it is SO incredibly small. But it would make sense to put it on iTunes and sell copies on his website and at Beach Boys shows. Unless he doesn't think it's up to snuff. Which I think is partially the problem a little bit too. Cuz even though he has some nice stuff, some is horrendous.

I have no way of knowing for sure about this, but it seems that when Mike met with Brian to discuss a new album back in 2011, that he was under the impression that the two of them would write the bulk of the album together, not to just throw him a bone for a song or two.

EDIT: Correction
« Last Edit: July 05, 2013, 07:47:06 AM by drbeachboy » Logged

The Brianista Prayer

Oh Brian
Thou Art In Hawthorne,
Harmonied Be Thy name
Your Kingdom Come,
Your Steak Well Done,
Amen.  ---hypehat
Wirestone
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #86 on: July 05, 2013, 07:36:40 AM »

I have no way of knowing for sure about this, but it seems that when Mike met with Brian to discuss a new album last year, that he was under the impression that the two of them would write the bulk of the album together, not to just throw him a bone for a song or two.

Pretty sure they met back in 2010 or 2011, not last year. And I think the original pitch may have been to re-record some classics, which one expects Brian knew was the kind of thing to hook Mike. All along, I'm pretty sure that Brian planned to record something very much along the lines of TWGMTR.
« Last Edit: July 05, 2013, 07:38:28 AM by Wirestone » Logged
drbeachboy
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #87 on: July 05, 2013, 07:45:27 AM »

I gotta say, I got a little chuckle out of "There's a song called Going to the Beach, a Beach Boys summertime classic." So the man still has his doubts about some of the SMiLE material, but "Goin' To The Beach"? Summertime classic.  Roll Eyes

I have no way of knowing for sure about this, but it seems that when Mike met with Brian to discuss a new album last year, that he was under the impression that the two of them would write the bulk of the album together, not to just throw him a bone for a song or two.

Pretty sure they met back in 2010 or 2011, not last year. And I think the original pitch may have been to re-record some classics, which one expects Brian knew was the kind of thing to hook Mike. All along, I'm pretty sure that Brian planned to record something very much along the lines of TWGMTR.
Sorry, I meant 2011 when I said last year.

The Brianista Prayer

Oh Brian
Thou Art In Hawthorne,
Harmonied Be Thy name
Your Kingdom Come,
Your Steak Well Done,
Amen.  ---hypehat
southbay
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #88 on: July 05, 2013, 07:50:32 AM »

It is ironic that Love is the one that originally brought Joe Thomas into the Beach Boys family with the Stars and Stripes debacle...

Summer's gone...it's finally sinking in
Jim V.
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #89 on: July 05, 2013, 08:14:53 AM »

I have no way of knowing for sure about this, but it seems that when Mike met with Brian to discuss a new album back in 2011, that he was under the impression that the two of them would write the bulk of the album together, not to just throw him a bone for a song or two.

And why would Mike think that? Brian already had a decent number of compositionally finished pieces when he went to both Mike and Capitol. And when was the last time Brian and Mike wrote the majority of an album project together? Wild Honey?

I think at the end of the day it just comes down to one thing. Since 1998, or more likely, since around 1988, Mike has been in charge of The Beach Boys as a group. They basically did what he wanted. They recorded Summer In Paradise, which was his thing. They did the country thing, Stars & Stripes, which was also his call. The touring group since 1998 has been "his" group, to the extent that he probably imagines that the group that tours as "The Beach Boys" is his "solo project."

So when Brian comes in makes it clear that he wants to do this Beach Boys album, and that it's gonna be done his way, I don't think that sat well with Mike. I think Mike would be fine if that meant they were equals, but it didn't. Brian (and Joe Thomas) were in charge, and Mike was basically back to the Pet Sounds/SMiLE era, basically frozen out of the writing with a few bones thrown his way vocally. And for an ego the size of Doctor Love, I don't think that's acceptable, even though to most of us, I think TWGMTR was a pretty nice compromise, although maybe if they did more albums, you could have a Bruce or Al song here or there.
drbeachboy
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #90 on: July 05, 2013, 08:37:47 AM »

And why would Mike think that? Brian already had a decent number of compositionally finished pieces when he went to both Mike and Capitol. And when was the last time Brian and Mike wrote the majority of an album project together? Wild Honey?

I think at the end of the day it just comes down to one thing. Since 1998, or more likely, since around 1988, Mike has been in charge of The Beach Boys as a group. They basically did what he wanted. They recorded Summer In Paradise, which was his thing. They did the country thing, Stars & Stripes, which was also his call. The touring group since 1998 has been "his" group, to the extent that he probably imagines that the group that tours as "The Beach Boys" is his "solo project."

So when Brian comes in makes it clear that he wants to do this Beach Boys album, and that it's gonna be done his way, I don't think that sat well with Mike. I think Mike would be fine if that meant they were equals, but it didn't. Brian (and Joe Thomas) were in charge, and Mike was basically back to the Pet Sounds/SMiLE era, basically frozen out of the writing with a few bones thrown his way vocally. And for an ego the size of Doctor Love, I don't think that's acceptable, even though to most of us, I think TWGMTR was a pretty nice compromise, although maybe if they did more albums, you could have a Bruce or Al song here or there.
I think Mike made it quite clear from the very beginning that he was looking to do an album written by Brian and himself. Just because Brian had compositions in the can doesn't mean Mike couldn't write new lyrics, though I really think Mike wanted the two to write from scratch. Once in the studio to record, I doubt that Mike had issues with who was in charge. He has never complained about how things were recorded, only partnership writing.

The Brianista Prayer

Oh Brian
Thou Art In Hawthorne,
Harmonied Be Thy name
Your Kingdom Come,
Your Steak Well Done,
Amen.  ---hypehat
Wirestone
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #91 on: July 05, 2013, 08:39:59 AM »

I think the distinction some draw here -- about the hit years versus the post hit years -- is a red herring. Mike didn't have much to do with PS or Smile or Holland or Love You as a writer, they say, but those albums didn't do super well. Look to the hit years instead!

... Except for the fact that Mike was was only one of a stable of co-writers for Brian in that period. Gary Usher and Roger Christian each played huge roles in the band's hits (and Jan Berry co-wrote Brian's first number one). Brian and Mike never had a McCartney-Lennon style partnership, and Mike never had the talent of either to begin with.

... And this is not to say that Mike is untalented, or didn't write classic songs with Brian. He is and he did. But his greatest contributions to the band were seldom as a writer. They were as a distinctive lead singer and onstage front man.
« Last Edit: July 05, 2013, 08:44:55 AM by Wirestone » Logged
drbeachboy
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #92 on: July 05, 2013, 08:44:46 AM »

I think the distinction some draw here -- about the hit years versus the post hit years -- is a red herring. Mike didn't have much to do with PS or Smile or Holland or Love You as a writer, they say, but those albums didn't do super well. Look to the hit years instead!

... Except for the fact that Mike was was only one of a stable of co-writers for Brian in that period. Gary Usher and Roger Christian each played huge roles in the band's hits (and Jan Berry co-wrote Brian's first number one). Brian and Mike never had a McCartney-Lennon style partnership, and Mike never had the talent of either to begin with.
I would venture to say that Brian wrote with Mike the most during the hit years. The hits themselves were written with Usher and Christian, along with Mike, but many of the album tracks were with Mike.

The Brianista Prayer

Oh Brian
Thou Art In Hawthorne,
Harmonied Be Thy name
Your Kingdom Come,
Your Steak Well Done,
Amen.  ---hypehat
phirnis
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #93 on: July 05, 2013, 09:02:33 AM »

In Mike's opinion, yes, the world IS missing that. And, Mike's thought that way since, when, 1974? Mike always did and always will "go with the numbers". Most Beach Boys' fans prefer the 1962-1965 period. Those songs get the biggest applause at the concerts. The comps continue to sell because of those songs. Mike truly believes those songs are what define The Beach Boys. Those are the songs that made them millionaires. Those are the songs that won them MOST of the praise they have received in their career. We on this board, and a certain percentage of fans adamantly disagree with Mike. But, he will continue to promote that period. He will continue to "go with the numbers". To Mike, he feels that is logical, that will trump everything else, that's all he knows. History is on his side. We know that because Mike keeps telling us about it.

And you know what? maybe "Spring Vacation" would've been a semi-hit single last spring/summer. Maybe more "Spring Vacation"-like songs would've sold even more copies of TWGMTR. Maybe the disappointment (for the average fan) of TWGMTR was the lack of vintage sounding Beach Boys' songs. Replace "The Private Life Of Bill And Sue" and add another B.Wilson/M. Love rocker and do you have a stronger album? On this board - a resounding NNNNNNNNOOOOOOOOOOO! But, for the millions of Beach Boys' fans - YYYYYEEEEESSSSSSS! According to the gospel of Michael Edward Love. It'll never change, and it will continue to divide everyone and everything, sadly....

People love the early stuff and rightly so. But it won't come back if all you do is rhyme something with "good vibration".

"We'll find a place in the sun/Where everyone can have fun, fun fun" - who wants to hear that when they can have the actual "Fun Fun Fun" instead? M.I.U. Album tanked, KTSA didn't sell, Summer in Paradise is widely considered an artistic low-point and may be the biggest non-seller of the group's entire career. Fittingly, "Spring Vacation" and "Beaches in Mind" got heavily criticized by both fans and professional writers alike. Personally I'm very open to the fun-in-the-sun thing as long as it's not BB by numbers. If Mike wants to write about the beach, fine, but he should do it with a modicum of dignity then (which was not apparent in "Kona Coast" or "Spring Vacation" or "Beaches in Mind" I think).
Andrew G. Doe
Smiley Smile Associate

The triumph of The Hickey Script !

View Profile WWW
« Reply #94 on: July 05, 2013, 10:25:17 AM »

I think it's super insulting to Brian that he makes it sound like Joe Thomas engineered the proceedings so Brian and Mike wouldn't write together.

Only if it's not true. Even thought about that possibility ?

The four sweetest words in my vocabulary: "This poster is ignored".
Jim V.
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #95 on: July 05, 2013, 11:19:39 AM »

I think it's super insulting to Brian that he makes it sound like Joe Thomas engineered the proceedings so Brian and Mike wouldn't write together.

Sooooo...you believe Brian himself had nothing to do with that?
Disney Boy (1985)
« Reply #96 on: July 05, 2013, 11:27:03 AM »

Hey the Q&A wasn't even in today's Guardian after all anyway... They ran one with John Travolta instead, blabbing on about Scientology like a loon.
SurfRiderHawaii
Smiley Smile Associate

Add Some Music to your day!

View Profile
« Reply #97 on: July 05, 2013, 11:46:26 AM »

Did you mean "ever thought"? Mr. Wilson is watching.

"Brian is The Beach Boys. He is the band. We're his f***ing messengers. He is all of it. Period. We're nothing. He's everything" - Dennis Wilson
Disney Boy (1985)
« Reply #98 on: July 05, 2013, 11:48:03 AM »

People love the early stuff and rightly so. But it won't come back if all you do is rhyme something with "good vibration".

"We'll find a place in the sun/Where everyone can have fun, fun fun" - who wants to hear that when they can have the actual "Fun Fun Fun" instead? M.I.U. Album tanked, KTSA didn't sell, Summer in Paradise is widely considered an artistic low-point and may be the biggest non-seller of the group's entire career. Fittingly, "Spring Vacation" and "Beaches in Mind" got heavily criticized by both fans and professional writers alike. Personally I'm very open to the fun-in-the-sun thing as long as it's not BB by numbers. If Mike wants to write about the beach, fine, but he should do it with a modicum of dignity then (which was not apparent in "Kona Coast" or "Spring Vacation" or "Beaches in Mind" I think).

Well said.
filledeplage
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #99 on: July 05, 2013, 11:51:04 AM »

... And this is not to say that Mike is untalented, or didn't write classic songs with Brian. He is and he did. But his greatest contributions to the band were seldom as a writer. They were as a distinctive lead singer and onstage front man.
Seriously?
Here are a few Wilson-Love...
Do It Again
Good Vibrations
Let Him Run Wild
Let The Wind Blow
Little St. Nick
The Man with All the Toys
Meant for You
The Warmth of The Sun
Add Some Music (with Joe Knott)
All Summer Long
California Girls
Darlin'
I Get Around
I Know There's an Answer (with Terry Sachen)
I'm Waiting For the Day
Kiss Me, Baby
Please Let Me Wonder
Wouldn't It Be Nice
Wild Honey album (9 of 11 )
And on, and on...

That is just false to assert that there is not an analogous composer lyricist team, in existence for decades, as between Brian and Mike.  Even going back to some of the C50 interviews, they discussed openly the free flowing working relationship.  And their work predated The Beatles.
gfx
Pages: 1 2 3 [4] 5 6 7 8 9 ... 25 Go Up Print 
gfx
Jump to:  
gfx