gfxgfx

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
logo

gfx gfx
gfx
680601 Posts in 27601 Topics by 4068 Members - Latest Member: Dae Lims March 29, 2024, 09:24:18 AM
gfx*HomeHelpSearchCalendarLoginRegistergfx
gfxgfx
Pages: 1 2 3 [4] 5 Go Down Print
Author Topic: How do fans view Jack Rieley and his influence?  (Read 15362 times)
Loaf
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #75 on: July 04, 2013, 01:17:52 AM »

A reply to Filledeplage's last post (it was getting tiresome having to scroll through all our endlessly repeated former quotes)...

Ok...

What your last sentence is meant to mean I honestly cannot fathom. ''The Band [your capital B] brought him ''abroad'' - ''in good faith''.
What does that even mean? Let's try it without the double apostrophes: the Band brought him abroad in good faith. Nope. No idea. I think you're making reference to the fact that after 2+ years of Rieley's (highly successful) management the Beach Boys agreed to go to Holland with him to record one of the greatest albums of their career - but yet again, I'm missing what point it is you're trying to establish...

I'm guessing "abroad" is a typo for "aboard". Should really be "on board", of course.

Naw, i think he means that 'the Band bought him a broad in good faith', but it turned out that he wasn't into that.

I like a manager like i like my Beatles... queering the pitch.  LOL
Disney Boy (1985)
« Reply #76 on: July 04, 2013, 02:03:42 AM »

The lyrics to Feel Flows are beyond godawful. The Trader at least attempts to be about something.
Uh, maybe to you, but to me they were incredible. Songs do not nesessarily always have to be about something-they can embellish the music without always always having to tell a story as is the case with Feel Flows-it was always more of a dreamy sound experience than anything else.

This is accurate.
filledeplage
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #77 on: July 04, 2013, 06:28:07 AM »

The lyrics to Feel Flows are beyond godawful. The Trader at least attempts to be about something.
Uh, maybe to you, but to me they were incredible. Songs do not nesessarily always have to be about something-they can embellish the music without always always having to tell a story as is the case with Feel Flows-it was always more of a dreamy sound experience than anything else.

Oldsurferdude - I'm with you on this one! Feel Flows is just grand.  Wink
Disney Boy (1985)
« Reply #78 on: July 04, 2013, 06:29:32 AM »

Oldsurferdude - I'm with you on this one! Feel Flows is just grand.  Wink

Hey we agree on something!!  Cheesy
Smilin Ed H
« Reply #79 on: July 04, 2013, 06:49:38 AM »

Love Feel Flows - and the Trader. But I prefer Feel Flows
Disney Boy (1985)
« Reply #80 on: July 04, 2013, 07:41:12 AM »

“If God hadn’t intended for us to eat animals he wouldn’t have made them out of meat.” ~Sarah Palin

Presumably she's ok with cannibalism as well then...
Rocky Raccoon
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #81 on: July 04, 2013, 09:35:37 AM »

“If God hadn’t intended for us to eat animals he wouldn’t have made them out of meat.” ~Sarah Palin

Presumably she's ok with cannibalism as well then...

Well I've had a feeling that she eats the brains of conservatives.  It would explain a few things, like why they like her.

Dudd
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #82 on: July 04, 2013, 09:38:18 AM »

The Rieley period was alright. I don't think Surf's Up comes even close to Sunflower, but I'll let Rieley off because of his amazing lead vocal on ADITLOAT Tongue

Quote from: Brian Wilson
It’s going to be the greatest tribute album ever made.
Alex
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #83 on: July 05, 2013, 07:05:33 AM »

Rieley was a shyster. However, he worked wonders to improve the BBs image.

"I thought Brian was a perfect gentleman, apart from buttering his head and trying to put it between two slices of bread"  -Tom Petty, after eating with Brian.

https://givemesomeboots1.blogspot.com/
bluesno1fann
« Reply #84 on: January 21, 2014, 10:34:24 PM »

IMO He's the best manager the BB's ever had!

I wish he never left. He was great for the BB's, he was manager during one of their best times, and he was around for 3 of their classic albums!
Niko
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #85 on: January 22, 2014, 12:53:35 AM »

The Rieley period was alright. I don't think Surf's Up comes even close to Sunflower, but I'll let Rieley off because of his amazing lead vocal on ADITLOAT Tongue

Yeah, Surf's Up as a whole just isn't that strong. In the Rieley period the highlights are incredibly good, like 'Til I Die, Surf's Up, Marcella, etc...but the rest is not always great. Reluctant as he may have been Take Good Care of Your Feet, it still happened.

His Q&A session from a while back was incredibly interesting. The venom in his descriptions of Mike is pretty entertaining, as are his explanations as to why he booted Bruce Johnston.

I am skeptical of everything he says because I don't think he's the most credible man, but I like what he did. He had a vision and a direction to take the band, and tried his best to make it happen for them.
« Last Edit: January 22, 2014, 03:04:30 AM by Woodstock » Logged

metal flake paint
Smiley Smile Associate

This harmony kick

View Profile
« Reply #86 on: January 22, 2014, 01:26:49 AM »

Reluctant as he may have been Take Good Care of Your Feet, it still happened.

Yet Al maintains that Jack wanted "...Feet" on Surf's Up; Al was the one who didn't expect it to be included on the album.

Reference

Sharp, K. (2000). Alan Jardine: A Beach Boy still riding the waves. Goldmine, (26)15, 14-104.

"Quit screaming and start singing from your hearts, huh?" Murry Wilson, March 1965.
Niko
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #87 on: January 22, 2014, 03:09:57 AM »

I'm quoting Jack himself here in an interview from a while back:

"Fourth Of July was set for the album but then fell victim to glaring envy -- so the world got Feet instead"

"Meanwhile, Carl Wilson and I began to write. Long Promised Road began
to be created. Then came the seed for Feel Flows. Til I Die became a
must. Tree was born. Love, Jardine and Johnston began to get testy
about it all. There was a long meeting during which they tried to
force me to march into Mo's office and sell him on Loop. I refused
and Brian Wilson, Dennis Wilson and Carl Wilson backed me up. Love,
sensing that I might be on to something by rejecting the
string-o-hits crap as out of date, suddenly came up with Student
Demonstration Time, which had Carl and I blushing with embarrassment
and which thoroughly disgusted Dennis. Then Jardine demanded that his
Feet song go on the album
. Johnston got Tears. When Carl and I
compiled the album running order, most versions had the Wilson songs
on one side and the jive on the other. It was uncool, so we changed
to the running order you know."

Again, while I am skeptical of the truth in his words, it is coming straight from the horses mouth.

From here: http://smileysmile.net/board/index.php/topic,9651.msg168258.html#msg168258

Andrew G. Doe
Smiley Smile Associate

The triumph of The Hickey Script !

View Profile WWW
« Reply #88 on: January 22, 2014, 03:55:53 AM »

Three points:

"Tears" isn't on Surf's Up...

Dennis drummed on "SDT"...

Has Jack ever so much as alluded to the existence of "(WIBNT)LA" ?

The four sweetest words in my vocabulary: "This poster is ignored".
Smilin Ed H
« Reply #89 on: January 22, 2014, 04:00:20 AM »

He has selective amnesia, but the albums they made under his management were great, so I'm in favour
El Molé
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #90 on: January 22, 2014, 04:51:05 AM »

Three points:

Not that I give much credence to the idea of Dennis being disgusted with SDT, but is it possible that the track was recorded for 'Riot In Cell Block #9', and later used as the track for Mike's new lyrics? Riot had been performed live through most of 1970 and after the first mention of a SDT session that I can see (on your excellent Bellagio site), but SDT seems to have replaced it around the time of the next session referenced for SDT. It's probably unlikely but is it possible?
Niko
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #91 on: January 22, 2014, 05:03:17 AM »

Three points:

I chalked that one up to just being a brain fart. He meant Disney Girls I'm sure, but slipped up. If he answered all of those questions in one sitting, I can see how it would have happened.

Andrew G. Doe
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile WWW
« Reply #92 on: January 22, 2014, 10:14:01 AM »

Three points:

Not that I give much credence to the idea of Dennis being disgusted with SDT, but is it possible that the track was recorded for 'Riot In Cell Block #9', and later used as the track for Mike's new lyrics? Riot had been performed live through most of 1970 and after the first mention of a SDT session that I can see (on your excellent Bellagio site), but SDT seems to have replaced it around the time of the next session referenced for SDT. It's probably unlikely but is it possible?

Dennis named "SDT" as "the last track you'll ever hear me drumming on" in a contemporary interview. Not "Riot".

metal flake paint
Smiley Smile Associate

This harmony kick

View Profile
« Reply #93 on: January 22, 2014, 01:39:31 PM »

Three points:

Dennis named "SDT" as "the last track you'll ever hear me drumming on" in a contemporary interview. Not "Riot".

On page 33 of "The Beach Boys: In their own words," there's a passage from a 1971 interview with Dennis where he says, " And the last song I'll ever play drums on is Riot."

"Quit screaming and start singing from your hearts, huh?" Murry Wilson, March 1965.
runnersdialzero
Smiley Smile Associate

I WILL NEVER GO TO SCHOOL

View Profile
« Reply #94 on: January 22, 2014, 02:20:34 PM »

EDIT: NEVERMIND

Tell me it's okay.
Tell me you still love me.
People make mistakes.
People make mistakes.
Sheriff John Stone
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #95 on: January 22, 2014, 03:25:49 PM »

I think the best role that Jack Reiley filled wasn't so much his environmental influence, but that he served as a collaborator with Brian on some good songs.

It only hit me when I listened to the 1974 interview that was posted a few weeks ago. Brian hadn't recorded much since 1972 in Holland. He didn't sound like he had any plans. He certainly didn't sound inspired. He needed something or someone.

With the exception of collaborating with Mike Love for the M.I.U. album, Brian went from Jack Reiley in 1972 to, when, 1987-88 with Andy Paley without any serious collaborating on a specific project. It would've been interesting if Reiley hung around and continued collaborating with Brian. Who knows what they could've come up with in 1973, 1974, and 1975.
Andrew G. Doe
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile WWW
« Reply #96 on: January 22, 2014, 04:09:12 PM »

Three points:

On page 33 of "The Beach Boys: In their own words," there's a passage from a 1971 interview with Dennis where he says, " And the last song I'll ever play drums on is Riot."

I stand corrected, and gratefully so.

bgas
Smiley Smile Associate

Oh for the good old days

View Profile
« Reply #97 on: January 22, 2014, 04:39:07 PM »

Three points:

In what context did Dennis speak?  Seems to me he could have been speaking facetiously. ( print the sction of the interview?)

Nothing I post is my opinion, it's all a message from God
metal flake paint
Smiley Smile Associate

This harmony kick

View Profile
« Reply #98 on: January 22, 2014, 07:14:22 PM »

No worries, Andrew Smiley

In what context did Dennis speak?  Seems to me he could have been speaking facetiously. ( print the sction of the interview?)

Dennis used Riot as a reference point, after which he says he cut his hand, rendering him unable to play the drums until the nerves in his hand had healed properly, he was advised, in three years time. I don't detect any hostility on his part towards the track itself based on the interview.

Andrew G. Doe
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile WWW
« Reply #99 on: January 23, 2014, 01:36:25 AM »

OK, so one point of my original triad remains - has JFR III ever made so much as a passing reference to "(WIBNT)LA", either at the time or since ? If not, there's got to be a lulu of a reason, given that he's bigged up other Surf's Up tracks which are manifestly inferior.

gfx
Pages: 1 2 3 [4] 5 Go Up Print 
gfx
Jump to:  
gfx