gfxgfx

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
logo

gfx gfx
gfx
680713 Posts in 27613 Topics by 4068 Members - Latest Member: Dae Lims April 16, 2024, 06:20:16 AM
gfx*HomeHelpSearchCalendarLoginRegistergfx
gfxgfx
Pages: 1 [2] 3 4 5 6 Go Down Print
Author Topic: Student Demonstration Time  (Read 21728 times)
Rocker
Smiley Smile Associate

"Too dumb for New York City, too ugly for L.A."

View Profile WWW
« Reply #25 on: June 19, 2013, 02:10:52 PM »

Love this Leiber&Stoller song, which the boys even tried out during the Party! sessions. And I think Mike's new lyrics are very good as well. Never understood why it is so dismissed by most people

a diseased bunch of mo'fos if there ever was one… their beauty is so awesome that listening to them at their best is like being in some vast dream cathedral decorated with a thousand gleaming American pop culture icons.

- Lester Bangs on The Beach Boys

PRO SHOT BEACH BOYS CONCERTS - LIST

To sum it up, they blew it, they blew it consistently, they continue to blow it, it is tragic and this pathological problem caused The Beach Boys' greatest music to be so underrated by the general public.

- Jack Rieley
drbeachboy
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #26 on: June 19, 2013, 02:18:26 PM »

Love this Leiber&Stoller song, which the boys even tried out during the Party! sessions. And I think Mike's new lyrics are very good as well. Never understood why it is so dismissed by most people
Frankly, because they misread the meaning of the lyric.

The Brianista Prayer

Oh Brian
Thou Art In Hawthorne,
Harmonied Be Thy name
Your Kingdom Come,
Your Steak Well Done,
On Stage As It Is In Studio,
Give Us This Day, Our Shortenin' Bread
And Forgive Us Our Bootlegs,
As We Also Have Forgiven Our Wife And Managers,
And Lead Us Not Into Kokomo,
But Deliver Us From Mike Love.
Amen.  ---hypehat
Iron Horse-Apples
« Reply #27 on: June 19, 2013, 02:37:55 PM »

Most Beach Boys fans I met who don't like it tend not to like hard rock so much. Not a put down just in my experience.

Not a put down. I'm in this demographic. To me this is not Beach Boy music,  It gets skipped within seconds.
So you have them pigeonholed just like most of John Q Public? Thought we hard-cores were better than that. Wink

No, I just hate this sort of blues / rock. I find it mind numbingly boring.

So I'll rephrase. This is not the sort of music I listen to the Beach Boys for. This is not the sort of music I personally want to hear the Beach Boys doing. I am a Beach Boys fan because they haven't had a career making this type of music. They've had a career making the type of music I like. (The way I put it first was simpler)
« Last Edit: June 19, 2013, 02:45:43 PM by (Stephen Newcombe) » Logged
TMinthePM
Smiley Smile Associate

How can I show you Zen if you do not first empty y

View Profile
« Reply #28 on: June 19, 2013, 02:42:10 PM »

It also sits quite nicely between and counterpoints the aching nostalgia of Disney Girls and the cosmic epic of Feel Flows. 
TMinthePM
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #29 on: June 19, 2013, 02:46:28 PM »

S.N. - "No, I just hate this sort of blues / rock. I find it mind numbingly boring."

So is it the blues that turns you off?
Iron Horse-Apples
« Reply #30 on: June 19, 2013, 02:48:29 PM »

S.N. - "No, I just hate this sort of blues / rock. I find it mind numbingly boring."

So is it the blues that turns you off?

Yes. To me it all sounds the same. Very repetitive and simple. I'm more a baroque man than a rock man LOL
TMinthePM
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #31 on: June 19, 2013, 02:50:34 PM »

I can dig that. But I don't think I can live without the Stones early redefinition of the blues.
Dr. Tim
Smiley Smile Associate

"Would you put a loud count on it for us please?"

View Profile
« Reply #32 on: June 19, 2013, 06:44:57 PM »

I have always dug the sound of this track, big fat and distorted, and yes it is a big left turn for the Boys sonically.  In the CD book Brian still insists he doesn't like it.

Lyrically it isn't as paranoid as "For What It's Worth" or as cynical as "Feel Like I'm Fixin' to Die Rag"*, but then I was never expecting sociopolitical polemics from Mike or anyone else in this band, so the lyrics go right by me.  Having Mike sing through a megaphone is the genius touch.  Cool ride-out, too.  I actually like the sirens and noise, that is what some of those collegiate protest dins sounded like.  Mr. Desper's note explains much.  Though he said he's saving how he got that fuzzed-out guitar sound for his new book (after telling me I was wrong to assume they just plugged the fuzzboxes directly into the soundboard, which is what 10cc did to copy this effect).

*Little known fact: Country Joe WAS/is a Vietnam vet.  He was stationed there earlier in the 60s, before the big escalation. So he knows whereof he sings.  He wears his own fatigues ("McDonald") performing at Woodstock.

Hey kids! Remember:
mono mixes suck donkey dick
Rocky Raccoon
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #33 on: June 19, 2013, 10:03:23 PM »

"Surfing and girls were OKAY but there was a war going on."  And this song takes zero political stance.  It makes reference to contemporary issues and riots but that's the end of it.  The only opinion the song gives is to stay away from riots which doesn't make much sense.  For instance, the Kent State massacre began as a peaceful protest until the police got involved.  Four people murdered, several others badly injured?  Whoops!  Guess they should have avoided that.  I'm not saying Mike was being selfish but I don't think he was as well informed as he would like to think he was.  If he was trying to make a statement, he failed.

ontor pertawst
Smiley Smile Associate

L♡VE ALWAYS WINS

View Profile WWW
« Reply #34 on: June 19, 2013, 10:34:11 PM »

It kinda sounds like "Trouble Every Day" drained of all bile and meaning and delivered well past it's sell-by date.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=girnJH7tvpM

I wonder if there's a connection.

Starting out with Berkeley Free Speech
and later on at People's Park...

it's the same across the nation
Black and white discrimination --
Yellin' "You can't understand me!"
'N all that other jazz they hand me
In the papers and TV and
All that mass stupidity

I know we're all fed up
 with useless wars and racial strife
But next time there's a riot,
 you best stay out of sight.

No way to delay
That trouble comin' every day

« Last Edit: June 19, 2013, 10:40:46 PM by ontor pertawst » Logged
Micha
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile WWW
« Reply #35 on: June 19, 2013, 11:49:41 PM »

Most Beach Boys fans I met who don't like it tend not to like hard rock so much. Not a put down just in my experience.

Not a put down. I'm in this demographic. To me this is not Beach Boy music,  It gets skipped within seconds.
So you have them pigeonholed just like most of John Q Public? Thought we hard-cores were better than that. Wink

So I'll rephrase. This is not the sort of music I listen to the Beach Boys for. This is not the sort of music I personally want to hear the Beach Boys doing. I am a Beach Boys fan because they haven't had a career making this type of music. They've had a career making the type of music I like. (The way I put it first was simpler)

Music about surfing, with lots of falsetto! Wink 2

Ceterum censeo SMiLEBrianum OSDumque esse excludendos banno.
Iron Horse-Apples
« Reply #36 on: June 20, 2013, 12:03:27 AM »

Music with very complex harmonic writing, music with counterpoint. music with beautiful, unpredictable melodies
Mike's Beard
Smiley Smile Associate

Check your privilege. Love & Mercy guys!

View Profile
« Reply #37 on: June 20, 2013, 12:42:39 AM »

I always thought Mike's message was clear, he's condemning the cops that used heavy handed tactics at what was meant to be a peaceful protest.

I'd rather be forced to sleep with Caitlyn Jenner then ever have to listen to NPP again.
TMinthePM
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #38 on: June 20, 2013, 04:17:38 AM »

"Four martyrs earned a new degree - The Bachelor of Bullets"

Sounds like a statement to me.
Nicko1234
« Reply #39 on: June 20, 2013, 04:23:34 AM »

"Surfing and girls were OKAY but there was a war going on."  And this song takes zero political stance.  It makes reference to contemporary issues and riots but that's the end of it.  The only opinion the song gives is to stay away from riots which doesn't make much sense.  For instance, the Kent State massacre began as a peaceful protest until the police got involved.  Four people murdered, several others badly injured?  Whoops!  Guess they should have avoided that.  I'm not saying Mike was being selfish but I don't think he was as well informed as he would like to think he was.  If he was trying to make a statement, he failed.

Sorry but it is absolutely obvious that the song is a criticism of trigger happy guards. Blatantly.
Rocker
Smiley Smile Associate

"Too dumb for New York City, too ugly for L.A."

View Profile WWW
« Reply #40 on: June 20, 2013, 05:42:24 AM »

I guess Mike would be the first to tell you that this kind of blues/rock was one of the big influences on the band (obviously including the song Riot In Cell Block #9). Of course STD has a "modern" sound but basically it makes total sense to me musically to be done by the boys.
Anyway, if you don't like it or if you don't want to hear this from the Beach Boys that's ok. 

a diseased bunch of mo'fos if there ever was one… their beauty is so awesome that listening to them at their best is like being in some vast dream cathedral decorated with a thousand gleaming American pop culture icons.

- Lester Bangs on The Beach Boys

PRO SHOT BEACH BOYS CONCERTS - LIST

To sum it up, they blew it, they blew it consistently, they continue to blow it, it is tragic and this pathological problem caused The Beach Boys' greatest music to be so underrated by the general public.

- Jack Rieley
Cam Mott
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #41 on: June 20, 2013, 05:49:55 AM »

Sorry but it is absolutely obvious that the song is a criticism of trigger happy guards. Blatantly.

I agree, it's clearly critical of over-reaction of authorities.

"Bring me the head of Carmen Sandiego" Lynne "The Chief" Thigpen
Daniel
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #42 on: June 20, 2013, 09:35:01 AM »

Incidentally, im looking at the original Stateside pressing of Surfs Up now, and it lists the last song on side one as Riot In Cell Block Number Nine (Lieber-Stoller)
halblaineisgood
« Reply #43 on: June 21, 2013, 02:17:35 PM »

« Last Edit: December 30, 2014, 11:53:58 PM by halblaineisgood » Logged
Banana
Smiley Smile Associate

Mike Love, Not War!

View Profile
« Reply #44 on: June 21, 2013, 03:01:56 PM »

I don't dislike it as much as I used to.  I'll listen to it, now, when in years past it would get skipped.  I think the song sounds a bit clunky/clumsy.  I've never had a big problem with Mike's lyrics.  All-in-all...I can think of worse tracks...but this will always be near my personal bottom.

"You wanna have the '409' sound, right?  On 'Help Me, Rhonda'?"

"Honkin' down the gosh-darned highway..."

"Cried so hard...teardrops on my bed...COME ON MUTHAF*****S!"
Iron Horse-Apples
« Reply #45 on: June 21, 2013, 03:03:41 PM »

but this will always be near my personal bottom.

This sums it up perfectly. Near my personal bottom indeed!
TMinthePM
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #46 on: June 21, 2013, 03:57:04 PM »

"Rock n Roll will always be,
                                                                               It'll go down in history...
Cam Mott
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #47 on: June 21, 2013, 04:05:51 PM »

I hear there was even radio play!

It made it to #7 in Boston.

"Bring me the head of Carmen Sandiego" Lynne "The Chief" Thigpen
filledeplage
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #48 on: June 21, 2013, 04:24:40 PM »

I hear there was even radio play!

It made it to #7 in Boston.

Imagine that!

Cam -  Beer  Kiss
Pinder's Gone To Kokomo And Back Again
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #49 on: June 21, 2013, 04:50:12 PM »

Rockin track, Mike's vocals sound cool, Carl rips on guitar, Dennis pounds the drums, sits perfectly between Disney Girls and Feel Flows.... I have no clue what there's not to like..... other than the annoying sirens.
gfx
Pages: 1 [2] 3 4 5 6 Go Up Print 
gfx
Jump to:  
gfx