gfxgfx

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
logo

gfx gfx
gfx
680597 Posts in 27600 Topics by 4068 Members - Latest Member: Dae Lims March 28, 2024, 09:11:20 AM
gfx*HomeHelpSearchCalendarLoginRegistergfx
gfxgfx
Pages: 1 ... 56 57 58 59 60 [61] 62 63 64 65 Go Down Print
Author Topic: Unpopular Beach Boys opinions  (Read 348062 times)
CenturyDeprived
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #1500 on: July 08, 2020, 06:48:17 PM »

Also - Caroline, No (original speed) version is SOOO much better, more heartfelt, sincere, real, etc compared to the original sped-up album version. It's much harder for me to elicit an emotional response from the album version after having heard the original speed version.

I might even consider that speed-up to be one of the greatest follies of Brian's career. (Makes sense that it was a Murry idea, which to me means there might have been an element of coercion in the decision). Obviously the song is still remembered as one of his great songs, so I only find it to be a huge folly in terms of an artistic "could have been" as opposed to it having done any real damage to his career. Although one wonders how the Brian Wilson solo release might have fared minus the unnecessary speed  tinkering. Probably the same, but who knows.

It's almost a primitive equivalent of drenching a perfectly fine vocal in autotune and somewhat ruining it in the process. There is pure emotion in the original speed version, Brian is adding every last bit of emotion into each syllable. I don't understand how anyone can say that speeding that entire vocal up by 1/3 could cause all of that emotion to be retained in the same manner. It's just not natural. Not saying it's horrendous or the worst thing ever by any means, but when comparing those two different versions, it's impossible to unhear how much better the un-f*cked-with one is. And for such an incredible piece of art, it bugs me that anything would be diminished by such a simple, and in my opinion careless, error in judgment.

It doesn't quite sound like him... it's the same argument that one might have one listening to the 2011 assemblage of SMiLE, Where the "wind chimes" tag vocals were flown in and they had to be sped up significantly in order to match the tempo (also see "Love to Say DaDa"). At that point it just doesn't sound quite right. I appreciate they had to do such a Frankenstein thing in that case, but Brian on PS had no reason to do that back then other than a misguided attempt to "sound younger".

And frankly, that's the same bad "sound younger" logic that has caused producers to drench his voice in autotune in recent years. I think in all of these cases, it's a matter of outsiders making that suggestion, and shaking Brian's confidence a bit, thus he gives a thumbs up to some tinkering that's not necessary.

If I never have to hear the 1966 album version again, I'd be fine with that!
« Last Edit: July 08, 2020, 06:57:26 PM by CenturyDeprived » Logged
The Nearest Faraway Place
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #1501 on: July 08, 2020, 06:59:46 PM »

Ok, Brian sounds shrill, smug, annoying, amateurish, nasal, or otherwise terrible on the following songs:
Finders Keepers, HawaiI, Ballad of Ole' Betsy, Spirit of America, No-Go Showboat, The Warmth of the Sun, Why Do Fools Fall In Love, Louie, Louie, Wendy, Don't Back Down Good to My Baby, Let Him Run Wild, And all over the party album. But obviously that is understandable, that album was not taken very seriously. And by the way, I’m not saying that these songs were bad, but I’m just saying that I feel like they can be annoying at times. Obviously a lot of these are complete classics that are amazing.
Oh, and another unpopular opinion? I don’t think that Carl became a great vocalist until the late 60s.
Of course he sounds amazing on god only knows, but the majority of his vocals from 1962 to about 1967 range from eh “ Pom, Pom Play Girl, Girl Don’t Tell Me” to ear piercing “ I Was Made to Love Her”
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #1502 on: July 08, 2020, 07:07:24 PM »

Let’s rustle some jimmies...
Luau is an absolute bop.
Surfin' USA only has 3 good songs on it, Surfin' USA, Lonely Sea and Shut Down.
Boogie Woodie is their best instrumental.
Little Deuce Coupe is Their worst album. The four best songs on it come from other albums that I would rather listen to, and the rest are forgettable.
Besides Smiley Smile, the stereo mixes are always better. All the mono makes it sound way more compressed, sound like the instrumental is mixed way too quietly, and sound way too dated. prime example, listen to the stereo version of the drive-in, then listen to the mono version. One just sounds way better than the other.
While I love Brian, I must admit that his voice between 1961-1965 can be absolutely terrible at times.
While the stereo mix of :-) smile technically sounds good, it completely defeats the entire aesthetic and purpose of the album by making it sound overly polished.
By contrast, the stereo mix of wild honey is amazing, because they were not trying to go for a LF sound with that albums, they were just using the equipment that they had at hand.
Even if Smile would have came out on its original intended release date of January 15, 1967, it would have been terribly received at the time and been a commercial and critical failure. even though it was experimental, the good vibrations single was still very accessible. The majority of stuff on smile was not. It was lyrically complex, and would have confused most audiences.
Can’t Wait Too Long backed with the Oct 67 version of Cool Cool Water would have been a moderate hit.
The main reason for the BBs commercial down slope in the late 60s had very little to do with any of the group members, and had a lot more to do with lack of promotion and lack of faith from their record label.
So Tough is mixed absolutely horribly.
The BBs were very stupid for not releasing anything in 1974-75. While I understand they were not exactly in a position to record new material, they had so much material in the can from the past for albums that they could have scrapped something releasable together. Even if it was just a repackaging of their previous couple albums with some bonus tracks or something, it could have been done, and I could have brought a lot more attention to the newer material at the time.
Honestly, Dennis and Mike both sound like they were very unlikable human beings.
LA is one of their best albums.
KTSA is only saved by a couple Carl bangers.
When Girls Get Together is their worst song.
BB85 is a very good 80s adult contemporary album, and is only hated because it’s compared to their older classic material. The landscape of music in 1985 was a very different place than in 1966, and this album perfectly matched the time.
Still Cruisin' and SIP deserve to still be in their catalog, and deserve re-masters.
Besides the 1992 version of Surfin, Summer of Love and Slow Summer Dancing, SIP isn’t that bad. It was just released three years too late. It would’ve sold very well in 1989, but by 1992 all of its ideas had already been dated for several years.
Stars and stripes volume one was a horrible idea, along with the NASCAR Album.
That Lucky Old Sun should have been the BBs reunion album.

i think the only thing i seriously disagree with here is that Brian's voice could sound horrible in the glory years of 61-65. I sure can't think of any song where he sounds bad. He had such a beautiful voice back then.
I agree that Dennis could be difficult, but unlikable? It seems that his good qualities were so strong, that they caused many people to forgive his bad side - the womanizing, the addictions. I will never convince anyone on this forum that Mike is NOT the villain; he will probably claim that he is just misunderstood. I wonder what the perception of Mike was before Leaf's book came out?
From all accounts I’ve heard, while Dennis was extremely charming and generous, he was also majorly manipulative, violent, angry, short tempered, and overall a person Who wasn’t afraid to cause a lot of trouble, and never faced any consequences for his actions, and would never apologize or admit any wrong doing.
As for Mike, you can’t really fault him too much. He was a businessman, The BBs were his business, and a businesses main goal is to gain and maximize profits.
To me, he’s just in the wrong place. He should be the head of some huge firm, because he knows how to make money and hurt people. Not exactly a good place for someone who is the leader of a band with several sensitive souls
guitarfool2002
Global Moderator

"Barba non facit aliam historici"

View Profile WWW
« Reply #1503 on: July 08, 2020, 09:21:27 PM »

Ok, Brian sounds shrill, smug, annoying, amateurish, nasal, or otherwise terrible on the following songs:
Finders Keepers, HawaiI, Ballad of Ole' Betsy, Spirit of America, No-Go Showboat, The Warmth of the Sun, Why Do Fools Fall In Love, Louie, Louie, Wendy, Don't Back Down Good to My Baby, Let Him Run Wild, And all over the party album. But obviously that is understandable, that album was not taken very seriously. And by the way, I’m not saying that these songs were bad, but I’m just saying that I feel like they can be annoying at times. Obviously a lot of these are complete classics that are amazing.
Oh, and another unpopular opinion? I don’t think that Carl became a great vocalist until the late 60s.
Of course he sounds amazing on god only knows, but the majority of his vocals from 1962 to about 1967 range from eh “ Pom, Pom Play Girl, Girl Don’t Tell Me” to ear piercing “ I Was Made to Love Her”

Thank you for the list! Just to make my perspective clear, what first drew me into this music before I even knew what a falsetto voice was let alone who the band members were and any musical knowledge of any import was that high voice of Brian's (before I knew who he was) on those songs. It cut right through whatever speakers I heard it on, from the little table jukeboxes at the shore diner where I'd ask for coins to keep playing I Get Around, to the car, to the TV (pre-stereo) to the little 8-track setup we had in the basement with my 8-track of "Best Of" volume 2. So a few of those on your list of absolutely terrible were actually some of the exact vocals that really drew me into this band overall before I had any musical knowledge or even a critical ear. I was a kid who heard that high voice cutting through over everything else and wanted to hear more, and that never changed. It's also why, for the most part, (unpopular opinion in 3, 2, 1...) I never felt the same deep connection to the Beach Boys music created that decade after Brian's falsetto disappeared from the records. They didn't have the same magic...for me. Good records, some great records, but not the same for me.

It just goes to show that what someone describes as absolutely terrible can be another person's life-changing enjoyment first experienced when listening to music was on the most pure and basic levels of liking, not liking, or being captivated by the sounds.

"All of us have the privilege of making music that helps and heals - to make music that makes people happier, stronger, and kinder. Don't forget: Music is God's voice." - Brian Wilson
♩♬🐸 Billy C ♯♫♩🐇
Pissing off drunks since 1978
Global Moderator

🍦🍦 Pet Demon for Sale - $5 or best offer ☮☮

View Profile WWW
« Reply #1504 on: July 08, 2020, 09:27:37 PM »

Gotta disagree with Hawaii, Warmth of the sun, why do fools fall in love, Wendy , and let him run wild (although Brian himself had stated his distaste for his lead on the last one), personally. Louie Louie isn’t as bad , just not a fan of the song itself that much 😒

Need your song mixed/mastered? Contact me at fear2stop@yahoo.com. Serious inquiries only, please!
guitarfool2002
Global Moderator

View Profile WWW
« Reply #1505 on: July 08, 2020, 09:41:47 PM »

From all accounts I’ve heard, while Dennis was extremely charming and generous, he was also majorly manipulative, violent, angry, short tempered, and overall a person Who wasn’t afraid to cause a lot of trouble, and never faced any consequences for his actions, and would never apologize or admit any wrong doing.
As for Mike, you can’t really fault him too much. He was a businessman, The BBs were his business, and a businesses main goal is to gain and maximize profits.
To me, he’s just in the wrong place. He should be the head of some huge firm, because he knows how to make money and hurt people. Not exactly a good place for someone who is the leader of a band with several sensitive souls

Ok, let's deal in some facts here even within the discussion of unpopular opinions. For one, exactly how successful of a businessman is or was Mike Love? Look at the history, his history in business. How many times has he been bankrupt, how many business ventures of Mike's have either failed, stalled out prematurely, or simply never got off the ground? We just saw one when they tried to turn Kokomo into a "lifestyle brand", perhaps inspired by Jimmy Buffet's Margaritaville franchises and all the other Jimmy tie-ins...and if it was legit, it never went beyond a website looking for investors. Mike in the 80's was a financial trainwreck...if you don't believe me, look it up. His "Club Kokomo" restaurant chain idea started off with a bang but literally stalled out almost as soon as they got done cleaning up the dishes from the premiere event. Mike was taking any gigs he could in the 80's to offset some of these financial issues. He sued his own brother and had him arrested (and later cleared and fully exonerated of the charges) over supposed financial malfeasance or something when according to his brother, the deals he was planning for the band and his brother in real estate could have made them millions without lifting a finger, all legit.

And that's why I'm still not over the morning I was listening to a podcast interview with Jim Hirsch, author of Mike's book, when he said how astute of a businessman Mike was...whatever cereal I was eating flew out of my mouth along with the milk, and I'm glad I was sitting down at the time.

Which leads to unpopular opinion #2 in a row (or more Mike hatred in some circles)...Mike's financial situation would have been far, far worse if he hadn't sued Brian for 8 figures worth of legal settlement.  It's a good thing he had that cushion too based on some of his failed business ventures prior to and even since that settlement, as without a cushion it would mean really difficult financial woes for many investors who didn't win a whopper of a lawsuit against a family member and wasn't holding the license to use a brand name as powerful as The Beach Boys for his own bookings. It would be enlightening to see some of the books and how much red ink is there under those failed ventures such as the various Club Kokomo branded businesses. It would also probably be enlightening to see some sliver of a sales tally for Mike's solo projects. Then consider how successful he might or might not be if he did not have the license to use "The Beach Boys" brand moniker for his tour bookings and promotions.

I'm mixing in opinion at the end there, but there is enough fact on the books to suggest without several lawsuit settlement payments and without the name "The Beach Boys" behind him, Mike would probably not be in a position to lead a company much less be considered an acute businessman as his co-author describes him. I'm wondering how these various nuggets like "Mike's business acumen" and Mike's "leadership" get bandied about with more evidence against those claims than in support. That is unless you factor in the power of holding a license to be billed as The Beach Boys and having an 8-figure legal settlement dropped into your bank account, one can afford to fail repeatedly in business and keep pushing the stone up the hill.

"All of us have the privilege of making music that helps and heals - to make music that makes people happier, stronger, and kinder. Don't forget: Music is God's voice." - Brian Wilson
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #1506 on: July 08, 2020, 10:35:50 PM »

Ok, let's deal in some facts here even within the discussion of unpopular opinions. For one, exactly how successful of a businessman is or was Mike Love? Look at the history, his history in business. How many times has he been bankrupt, how many business ventures of Mike's have either failed, stalled out prematurely, or simply never got off the ground? We just saw one when they tried to turn Kokomo into a "lifestyle brand", perhaps inspired by Jimmy Buffet's Margaritaville franchises and all the other Jimmy tie-ins...and if it was legit, it never went beyond a website looking for investors. Mike in the 80's was a financial trainwreck...if you don't believe me, look it up. His "Club Kokomo" restaurant chain idea started off with a bang but literally stalled out almost as soon as they got done cleaning up the dishes from the premiere event. Mike was taking any gigs he could in the 80's to offset some of these financial issues. He sued his own brother and had him arrested (and later cleared and fully exonerated of the charges) over supposed financial malfeasance or something when according to his brother, the deals he was planning for the band and his brother in real estate could have made them millions without lifting a finger, all legit.

And that's why I'm still not over the morning I was listening to a podcast interview with Jim Hirsch, author of Mike's book, when he said how astute of a businessman Mike was...whatever cereal I was eating flew out of my mouth along with the milk, and I'm glad I was sitting down at the time.

Which leads to unpopular opinion #2 in a row (or more Mike hatred in some circles)...Mike's financial situation would have been far, far worse if he hadn't sued Brian for 8 figures worth of legal settlement.  It's a good thing he had that cushion too based on some of his failed business ventures prior to and even since that settlement, as without a cushion it would mean really difficult financial woes for many investors who didn't win a whopper of a lawsuit against a family member and wasn't holding the license to use a brand name as powerful as The Beach Boys for his own bookings. It would be enlightening to see some of the books and how much red ink is there under those failed ventures such as the various Club Kokomo branded businesses. It would also probably be enlightening to see some sliver of a sales tally for Mike's solo projects. Then consider how successful he might or might not be if he did not have the license to use "The Beach Boys" brand moniker for his tour bookings and promotions.

I'm mixing in opinion at the end there, but there is enough fact on the books to suggest without several lawsuit settlement payments and without the name "The Beach Boys" behind him, Mike would probably not be in a position to lead a company much less be considered an acute businessman as his co-author describes him. I'm wondering how these various nuggets like "Mike's business acumen" and Mike's "leadership" get bandied about with more evidence against those claims than in support. That is unless you factor in the power of holding a license to be billed as The Beach Boys and having an 8-figure legal settlement dropped into your bank account, one can afford to fail repeatedly in business and keep pushing the stone up the hill.
I’ve never said that he never had financial problems, or that he wasn’t a flawed businessman. I was just saying that he’s good at marketing himself and the beach boys brand. As for being a decent human being, he’s not. He’s a huge A*****e
guitarfool2002
Global Moderator

View Profile WWW
« Reply #1507 on: July 09, 2020, 10:28:20 AM »

I'm just suggesting people consider the actual history of the situation whenever these reports of Mike's keen business sense show up, from whichever sources are putting it out. As the saying goes, the facts are out there if you know where to look for them, and the other element to consider is how much money any of us could make if we had both an 8-figure settlement deposited into our bank accounts and were licensed to use a brand name that literally sells itself based mostly on the legacy of songs that are 50-60 years old and which have never *not* sold or been out of the public consciousness. Unpopular opinion #3, perhaps, but I wouldn't call someone who bought a 2 dollar lottery ticket and won 20 million a keen businessman.

Don Malcolm
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #1508 on: July 09, 2020, 02:36:09 PM »

Well, GF, the opinion that Mike is a keen businessman is clearly unpopular (except in select circles, many of which are on some version of Mike's dole...) because as an opinion it is silly and one-sided. The same is true concerning the opinion (clung to far more tenaciously than the myth of Mike's business acumen) that he "saved the BBs" (most voluble recent convert: Ron Hamady). What Mike did was keep the BBs idea in the public eye for the portion of the fan base that is happy with the "fun fun fun" image of the band (61-65) as opposed to what the band did in their "artistic/democracy phase" (66-73). That was not as egregious an act as some believe, but we should note that Mike (who's not stupid) eventually figured out that once Brian was out touring, he needed to up his game.

So the most unpopular opinion of all might be that it's actually a very good thing that Brian and Mike continue to remain estranged, operating in separate camps--because that provides more coverage and interest in the band and the music than would be the case if they had to formally reconcile their still-divergent approaches. With Mike and Bruce making their shows more encompassing while still pushing the Lovester's "positivity," and Al, Dave and Blondie adding their still-intact talents to broaden the range of Brian's show, we actually have the best possible arrangement, so long as Mike can refrain from fixating in public on the vagaries of "the Wilson blood"--which, of course, he is also "tainted" by...
Pretty Funky
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #1509 on: July 09, 2020, 06:55:12 PM »

I ‘Skip’ Good Vibrations more than I listen to it. Both the album and live versions.
rab2591
Smiley Smile Associate

"My God. It's full of stars."

View Profile
« Reply #1510 on: July 09, 2020, 07:25:16 PM »

Actually lately I think I’ve listened more to various TSS Good Vibrations session takes than the actual song. I love it, but have heard it way too often, so I too am guilty of skipping it at times. When listening to BWPS or TSS’s album I never skip it though.

Bill Tobelman's SMiLE site

God must’ve smiled the day Brian Wilson was born!

"ragegasm" - /rāj • ga-zəm/ : a logical mental response produced when your favorite band becomes remotely associated with the bro-country genre.

Ever want to hear some Beach Boys songs mashed up together like The Beatles' 'LOVE' album? Check out my mix!
Lonely Summer
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #1511 on: July 09, 2020, 11:30:26 PM »

Weren't the music mags in 1960s giving criticism of the BBs stage act with Mike's beyond annoying banter on stage?
I think that's very possible. There were times in the past when I heard people blame a lot of the negative spin about Mike on stuff that was in Leaf's book - "don't f*** with the formula", for example. Mike denies he ever said that.
I did not say Leaf was the only source of negative stories about Mike; but it was my impression that the book was the first time that kind of stuff was in print.
But i do find it interesting that fans in general seem to be far more forgiving of Dennis for his failings. Maybe it's because Mike is still here, and still adding to his legacy with behavior that does not meet with the approval of all in fandom.
As a villain in the Beach Boys story, Mike seems to rank only below Murray Wilson and Gene Landy.
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #1512 on: July 10, 2020, 10:02:27 AM »

Here’s another one, I don’t think good vibrations should be played live. Other than Brian‘s smile shows in 2004, it never sounds good live. It never sounded good live in the 60s, it sounded too empty. Same with the 70s, and now it just sounds horrible on stage.
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #1513 on: July 10, 2020, 10:24:20 AM »

LA is a better album than LY.
It’s got Good Timin, Which should’ve been a much bigger hit, Lady Lynda, the best song that Al ever wrote for the group, 3 nice Carl Ballads, a slightly over long disco track, some amazing Dennis stuff, and Brian being goofy Brian.
Another unpopular opinion? People only hate on Sumahama because Mike wrote it. If this was a BW composition, people would be tripping over themselves to rave about how great it is. For the record, in my opinion, I don’t think it’s the best moment on the album, but it’s not as bad as some people say it is.
SBonilla
« Reply #1514 on: July 10, 2020, 11:18:11 AM »

La is the album that led to the start of my disinterest in the band. I have heard all the songs, but I've never been able to listen to LA all the way through.
« Last Edit: July 10, 2020, 11:20:02 AM by SBonilla » Logged
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #1515 on: July 10, 2020, 11:37:03 AM »

La is the album that led to the start of my disinterest in the band. I have heard all the songs, but I've never been able to listen to LA all the way through.
It took me a while to get it as well, but here’s my advice. Listen to it either super late at night or super early in the morning.
This is my Ultimate sleep and wake up album.
rab2591
Smiley Smile Associate

"My God. It's full of stars."

View Profile
« Reply #1516 on: July 10, 2020, 04:27:03 PM »

Weren't the music mags in 1960s giving criticism of the BBs stage act with Mike's beyond annoying banter on stage?
I think that's very possible. There were times in the past when I heard people blame a lot of the negative spin about Mike on stuff that was in Leaf's book - "don't f*** with the formula", for example. Mike denies he ever said that.
I did not say Leaf was the only source of negative stories about Mike; but it was my impression that the book was the first time that kind of stuff was in print.
But i do find it interesting that fans in general seem to be far more forgiving of Dennis for his failings. Maybe it's because Mike is still here, and still adding to his legacy with behavior that does not meet with the approval of all in fandom.
As a villain in the Beach Boys story, Mike seems to rank only below Murray Wilson and Gene Landy.

I think because Dennis' failings mostly (and ultimately) only hurt himself. Whereas Mike's failings are mostly him going out of his way to hurt others (I won't list the examples, they are well known).

That's not to say that Dennis didn't hurt people along the way, but I don't think he intentionally hurt people. Mike on the other hand has hawked a religion for decades that promises "self-development" while simultaneously building a reputation as one of the biggest jerks in rock and roll. And again, I won't list the examples of how he has built this reputation because they are well known.

I will say that over the last few years, at least publicly, we have seen a completely different Mike Love - he has mellowed out in interviews. He seems to be happy making his music, it appears that he is really trying to change his image. I'm not sure what will happen with these guys for a possible 60th reunion, but I hope everyone can remain civil in order to help make something happen.

Bill Tobelman's SMiLE site

God must’ve smiled the day Brian Wilson was born!

"ragegasm" - /rāj • ga-zəm/ : a logical mental response produced when your favorite band becomes remotely associated with the bro-country genre.

Ever want to hear some Beach Boys songs mashed up together like The Beatles' 'LOVE' album? Check out my mix!
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #1517 on: July 10, 2020, 05:23:48 PM »

Do you want a real unpopular opinion?
This is the best piece of music Brian has ever been a part of.
And before anyone asks, yes, this is actually legitimate. It’s just extremely hard to find, and has never been officially released, for obvious reasons.
https://youtu.be/WaXw6kxRREU
kennyhasbeenfound
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #1518 on: July 10, 2020, 05:34:48 PM »

Here’s another one, I don’t think good vibrations should be played live. Other than Brian‘s smile shows in 2004, it never sounds good live. It never sounded good live in the 60s, it sounded too empty. Same with the 70s, and now it just sounds horrible on stage.

Going to have to agree with you here for the most part.  I haven't really heard a live version that I like.  I always thought they should have ramped up the guitar parts in place of the missing cello when done live.   Not to overdo it and make it hard rock, but those cellos are powerful, and not having them leaves a massive hole.

And while I'm at it, other than Busy Doin' Nothing and Meant for You I don't like Friends.  If I had been a record-buying fan and bought that back in the day it would have been my last BB album.  Of course I did continue to buy BB product after buying SIP, so who really knows.
« Last Edit: July 10, 2020, 05:54:05 PM by kennyhasbeenfound » Logged

"Shut up you guys"- Carl Wilson.
guitarfool2002
Global Moderator

View Profile WWW
« Reply #1519 on: July 10, 2020, 05:54:23 PM »

I'm still not over two live performances of GV. The first was when I got the audio from the Smile premiere at RFH. To hear that at the end of that performance was like a catharsis, for lack of a better word. Like all this weight and anticipation and even bad vibes just washed away with the way that band laid into that song, and also added those sections that were originally left off. I wish I could have been there in person. The second was actually seeing the Smile show in person, and GV at the end simply rocked like there was no tomorrow. It was loud, intense, and it was like a thunderstorm by the time the last drum hits had sounded. Again, still not over that whole experience.

So I think there is a different experience hearing it in person, yes. It's the guy who dreamed up all that stuff originally actually right in front of you as you're listening. That's priceless for people who are invested in this music.

So I do agree that if it's a live recording, it loses something. I think most live recordings do actually, which is why I'm generally not a fan and always collected studio bootlegs versus concerts...I definitely preferred them, with a few exceptions like Help Me Rhonda from '74 when Dennis sang lead. That was magic.

I hope many of you got to see Brian, Al, and Blondie share lead vocals on Sail Away on the NPP tour. Similar magic.

♩♬🐸 Billy C ♯♫♩🐇
Pissing off drunks since 1978
Global Moderator

🍦🍦 Pet Demon for Sale - $5 or best offer ☮☮

View Profile WWW
« Reply #1520 on: July 10, 2020, 09:49:38 PM »

I actually like the rough early live versions of GV...I like the amateurish almost punk sound to it 🤔

Need your song mixed/mastered? Contact me at fear2stop@yahoo.com. Serious inquiries only, please!
startBBtoday
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #1521 on: July 10, 2020, 10:38:04 PM »

I don't like when I can pick Bruce's vocals out in songs. I think he can blend in a harmony, but when I can hear his voice, whether that's on a lead vocal or on a distinguishable part like on God Only Knows or California Girls, it grates me because it's so obviously Bruce, and I don't think he sounds like the Beach Boys. This is most apparent on songs he writes and sings lead. Bruce songs don't sound like Beach Boys songs. They sound like Bruce songs.

Yet, I like Blondie and Ricky's contributions.

The album Surf's Up is way more hit and miss than anyone seems to acknowledge. It has a great cover and some great songs. But the stretch from Take A Load Off Your Feet to Student Demonstration Time kills the mood in a big way.
Lonely Summer
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #1522 on: July 11, 2020, 02:28:28 PM »

It’s got Good Timin, Which should’ve been a much bigger hit, Lady Lynda, the best song that Al ever wrote for the group, 3 nice Carl Ballads, a slightly over long disco track, some amazing Dennis stuff, and Brian being goofy Brian.
Another unpopular opinion? People only hate on Sumahama because Mike wrote it. If this was a BW composition, people would be tripping over themselves to rave about how great it is. For the record, in my opinion, I don’t think it’s the best moment on the album, but it’s not as bad as some people say it is.

Amen! It's true that it is a very, very mellow album, but IMO that's not a bad thing. Does that make it the definitive yacht rock album?
startBBtoday
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #1523 on: July 11, 2020, 04:14:09 PM »

Amen! It's true that it is a very, very mellow album, but IMO that's not a bad thing. Does that make it the definitive yacht rock album?

I like Light Album. I just wish Here Comes The Night was left off or placed at the end of the album. It sticks out like a sore thumb.

I feel like The Beach Boys put very little thought into tracklist order. How does the tracklist of LA make any sense?
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #1524 on: July 11, 2020, 08:04:58 PM »

I like Light Album. I just wish Here Comes The Night was left off or placed at the end of the album. It sticks out like a sore thumb.

I feel like The Beach Boys put very little thought into tracklist order. How does the tracklist of LA make any sense?
In a way, I agree with you, but in another way, I disagree with you.
The first six tracks are all very quiet and mellow and easy to relax to. Then comes in here comes the night, which is just a blast of energy throughout the whole thing, that lasts an entire 10:51. By the end of here comes the night, you’re completely just tired out, so here comes Baby Blue and Going South to bring us back down. Then, just as you think it’s ending, Bread gives you a nice jult to end the project.
But, yes, I agree that the sequencing is very strange. personally, I would’ve sequenced it more like this:
Side A is the same. Then we have the single mix of HCTN, then It’s Not Too Late from Dennis and Carl, then Baby Blue and Going South. Then after three slow tracks in a row, we end the project with It’s a Beautiful day and California feelin.
gfx
Pages: 1 ... 56 57 58 59 60 [61] 62 63 64 65 Go Up Print 
gfx
Jump to:  
gfx