gfxgfx

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
logo

gfx gfx
gfx
680598 Posts in 27600 Topics by 4068 Members - Latest Member: Dae Lims March 28, 2024, 09:13:42 PM
gfx*HomeHelpSearchCalendarLoginRegistergfx
gfxgfx
Pages: 1 ... 54 55 56 57 58 [59] 60 61 62 63 64 65 Go Down Print
Author Topic: Unpopular Beach Boys opinions  (Read 348171 times)
RangeRoverA1
Smiley Smile Associate

I drink expired tea. wanna sip or spit?

View Profile
« Reply #1450 on: March 30, 2018, 06:38:16 AM »

In a way, I'd say Brian was the best lyric guy, because he knew who to choose to write 'em.

Trust Brian, he almost always knew best who to use.
Well said, agree 100%. Smiley

To paste the previous thing I said, am curious about this: Giving song low rating due to it being "out of place" "within context" doesn't make any sense & is very misguided. It's been said at PS' "Discuss BBs Songs" thread by many, especially by poster monolithic/ Nicko1234. What's the entire album got to do with its individual songs discussed daily? Brow If song is good, you like it, what's the problem, agree?
« Last Edit: March 30, 2018, 07:35:51 AM by RangeRoverA1 » Logged

Short notice: the cat you see to the left is the best. Not counting your indoor cat who might have habit sitting at your left side when you post at SmileySmile.

Who is Lucille Ball & Vivian Vance Duet Fan Club CEO? Btw, such Club exists?

Zany zealous Zeddie eats broccoli at brunch break but doesn't do's & don't's due to duties.
Kid Presentable
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #1451 on: March 30, 2018, 06:51:54 AM »

Mike had some massive stinkers and he totally overrelied on the simple themes but he also had some absolute gems.  On a similar path, Brian also had some complete dregs songs but did some wonderful work as well.  What are your top 5 Brian lyrics and top 5 Mike lyrics?  Likewise, what are your bottom 5?  I bet they are pretty comparable, from the standpoint of those mythical ratings of "artistic quality" and "personal preference".
thorgil
Smiley Smile Associate

GREAT post, Rab!

View Profile
« Reply #1452 on: March 30, 2018, 11:09:25 AM »

I think VDP's work for (and with) Brian in those early Smile months is fantastic. Their artistic personalities, so different, merged miraculously, and the Smile project was the result. Would it have been completed and released if Van had stayed? Maybe, maybe not.

I'm no big fan of Van's other works, and that includes OCA, but don't agree with the flack he is getting lately, either. I always feel a deep respect and gratitude for the co-author of "H&V", "Surf's Up", "Wonderful" and "Cabin Essence".

« Last Edit: March 30, 2018, 11:13:03 AM by thorgil » Logged

DIT, DIT, DIT, HEROES AND VILLAINS...
Angua
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #1453 on: April 01, 2018, 01:50:18 AM »

I think VDP's work for (and with) Brian in those early Smile months is fantastic. Their artistic personalities, so different, merged miraculously, and the Smile project was the result. Would it have been completed and released if Van had stayed? Maybe, maybe not.

I'm no big fan of Van's other works, and that includes OCA, but don't agree with the flack he is getting lately, either. I always feel a deep respect and gratitude for the co-author of "H&V", "Surf's Up", "Wonderful" and "Cabin Essence".

I absolutely and totally agree!  I also like that he tried to encourage Brian to be involved in music again after Landy which I understand was partly what OCA was about.  I think the fact that he left shows the enormous pressure Brian was under to produce something less challenging  to the popular market and I'm saddened that Brian has not had artistic control over his work always or people who were prepared to believe in him and fight his corner.
RangeRoverA1
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #1454 on: April 09, 2018, 06:29:21 PM »

What are your top 5 Brian lyrics and top 5 Mike lyrics?  Likewise, what are your bottom 5?
There isn't any 5 best Brian & ditto Mike lyrics. See, I care ZERO about lyrics. Van Dyke's "Cabin Essence" is the single great example in any BBs song. It's beautiful, it doesn't make sense which is cool by me.

Short notice: the cat you see to the left is the best. Not counting your indoor cat who might have habit sitting at your left side when you post at SmileySmile.

Zany zealous Zeddie eats broccoli at brunch break but doesn't do's & don't's due to duties.
RangeRoverA1
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #1455 on: August 03, 2018, 05:57:06 AM »

Since Brian/ M&B don't tour here, deep cuts vs. greatest hits setlist compare points seem trifle. Duh. They'll never get here anyway, why care - is the logic.

RangeRoverA1
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #1456 on: October 07, 2018, 03:21:00 AM »

Many times smb. mentioned "Drive In", esp. the bit "...you can prevent forest fires", people would giggle as if it's funny lyric. To me, it's dull, nonsensical, if we read the bit with the other lyrics in the song. Like, it's been added randomly to create the rhyme. Yet people weirdly found it funny. The other lyrics people cite as "clever" & "cool" didn't impress either - lyrics in BBs songs & generally. Yep, Iii said it. Stand by it.

c-man
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile WWW
« Reply #1457 on: October 07, 2018, 08:17:41 AM »

Many times smb. mentioned "Drive In", esp. the bit "...you can prevent forest fires", people would giggle as if it's funny lyric. To me, it's dull, nonsensical, if we read the bit with the other lyrics in the song. Like, it's been added randomly to create the rhyme. Yet people weirdly found it funny. The other lyrics people cite as "clever" & "cool" didn't impress either - lyrics in BBs songs & generally. Yep, Iii said it. Stand by it.

It fits the song "Drive-In" - I don't know if you ever had the experience of visiting a drive-in movie theater in your youth, but the one I frequented as a young kid with my family invariably screened a Smokey The Bear public service short, with the tag line "And remember - only YOU can prevent forest fires!" So, it's totally appropriate for that line (said, as Mike does, in a Smokey The Bear voice) to be included in a song called "Drive-In".
The LEGENDARY OSD
Smiley Smile Associate

luHv Estrangement Syndrome. It's a great thing!

View Profile
« Reply #1458 on: October 07, 2018, 12:06:10 PM »

It fits the song "Drive-In" - I don't know if you ever had the experience of visiting a drive-in movie theater in your youth, but the one I frequented as a young kid with my family invariably screened a Smokey The Bear public service short, with the tag line "And remember - only YOU can prevent forest fires!" So, it's totally appropriate for that line (said, as Mike does, in a Smokey The Bear voice) to be included in a song called "Drive-In".

Yes, the Smokey thing is indeed accurate but I'm quite sure it alluded to the fact that the drive in was a place to take your date and that things could get quite passionate and "heated up". Back in 1970, I was a manager of a D/I and before I could leave for the night, I had to be sure that every car had exited. I had to knock on quite a few windows to wake up people that had very little to no clothing on.  Shocked

myKe luHv, the most hated, embarrassing clown the world of music has ever witnessed.
c-man
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile WWW
« Reply #1459 on: October 07, 2018, 12:53:14 PM »

Yes, the Smokey thing is indeed accurate but I'm quite sure it alluded to the fact that the drive in was a place to take your date and that things could get quite passionate and "heated up". Back in 1970, I was a manager of a D/I and before I could leave for the night, I had to be sure that every car had exited. I had to knock on quite a few windows to wake up people that had very little to no clothing on.  Shocked

Oh yeah, I'm quite sure there was double meaning there on Brian and Mike's part. But to call its inclusion in this particular song "nonsensical" - meaning, apparently, in regards to a song about drive-ins...well, in case someone didn't know the background, now they do, and perhaps its inclusion makes more sense.
RangeRoverA1
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #1460 on: October 07, 2018, 01:13:15 PM »

Drive-ins may be popular in America, not here in Russia. I'm glad, frankly. It seems like boring experience. I don't like going to movies anyway. Maybe the others enjoy such pastime. I prefer buying DVDs - they're cheaper than go watching single film at a time, whilst the DVD will include up to 12 films! - & watch movie without people's annoying talk & munching noises, in complete silence.
So yes, I didn't recognize the Smokey The Bear reference. I've no idea even who or what's Smokey The Bear to be so important that invariably be screened at drive-ins. Weird.
The double meanings, I think, quite frankly are posters' readings, nothing more. Which is fine. Me, I'm very apathetic about double meanings, that's why I'd written people giggled at that lyric when to me it's just dull.

Next - "Kokomo" isn't divisive song. I laugh when fans who like it say fans who dislike it dislike it due its popularity & funny things like if Brian's written it, sang it, they would like it. Since when? Me, I can't stand it. The melody, cheesy arrangement, the entire thing. Carl sings well, sure, but thing is, I really can't stand the song, it's THAT bad to my ears. To listen to song just to hear Carl's bits doesn't make sense.
« Last Edit: October 07, 2018, 02:04:27 PM by RangeRoverA1 » Logged

The LEGENDARY OSD
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #1461 on: October 07, 2018, 02:13:40 PM »

Drive-ins may be popular in America, not here in Russia. I'm glad, frankly. It seems like boring experience. I don't like going to movies anyway. Maybe the others enjoy such pastime. I prefer buying DVDs - they're cheaper than go watching single film at a time, whilst the DVD will include up to 12 films! - & watch movie without people's annoying talk & munching noises, in complete silence.
So yes, I didn't recognize the Smokey The Bear reference. I've no idea even who or what's Smokey The Bear to be so important that invariably be screened at drive-ins. Weird.
The double meanings, I think, quite frankly are posters' readings, nothing more. Which is fine. Me, I'm very apathetic about double meanings, that's why I'd written people giggled at that lyric when to me it's just dull.

RR, you'll never know what you've missed until you've tried it, although it would be a far cry from the experience during the drive in's heyday which was between 1948 to around the mid 70's. It was neither dull or boring from the time my parents would take us as kids with a pillow and blanket in the back seat to all through high school and beyond. From the playground to the snack bar, it was a hell of a lot of fun. I remember going with my parents to a 6 screen open air just outside of Chicago and being able to see that many movies at one time was surreal even at age 5. Another thing that made it great was the movies were sooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooo much better than they are today. No comparison whatsoever, especially the sci-fi stuff from the 50's. What was really a hoot was waiting for the damn movie to start. Obviously, they had to wait until dark to start the flick and when it didn't, patrons would start leaning on their car horns. What would have been dull and boring would be not having drive ins as one of the many great choices to have fun.

myKe luHv, the most hated, embarrassing clown the world of music has ever witnessed.
c-man
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile WWW
« Reply #1462 on: October 07, 2018, 02:19:15 PM »

RR, you'll never know what you've missed until you've tried it, although it would be a far cry from the experience during the drive in's heyday which was between 1948 to around the mid 70's. It was neither dull or boring from the time my parents would take us as kids with a pillow and blanket in the back seat to all through high school and beyond. From the playground to the snack bar, it was a hell of a lot of fun. I remember going with my parents to a 6 screen open air just outside of Chicago and being able to see that many movies at one time was surreal even at age 5. Another thing that made it great was the movies were sooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooo much better than they are today. No comparison whatsoever, especially the sci-fi stuff from the 50's. What was really a hoot was waiting for the damn movie to start. Obviously, they had to wait until dark to start the flick and when it didn't, patrons would start leaning on their car horns. What would have been dull and boring would be not having drive ins as one of the many great choices to have fun.

Man, that sure brings back some memories - from the pillow and blankets, to the snack bar, etc.!  Fun times in my childhood (say, late '60s to late '70s) - I remember seeing everything from Christopher Lee/Peter Cushing horror movies to James Bond to Clint Eastwood spaghetti westerns to Beatles feature marathons. Oh, and the Pink Panther cartoon shorts!  Classic Americana.
RangeRoverA1
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #1463 on: October 07, 2018, 02:53:14 PM »

2 The LEGENDARY OSD: Thanks to the polite reply. You're very nice. But I like seeing movies in solitude, in the house, place I'm used to, with cozy chair & total silence. I usually see movie with ear buds or Beats by Dr. Dre 'phones. I may've liked drive-in theatre as kid, as they usually like these fun exciting things, eating chocolate bars to boot, everything's allowed. I'd like 50s sci-fi films especially, knowing me that's sure as hell. Today, in present time, I tell you I wouldn't like it, due to reasons I listed above. It's simply not my bag, going by descriptions. It's cool you got such fun mem'ries but frankly am not that easygoing as many of you or "liking communal experience in watching movies" type. Many like going to pictures due to big screen as well. I'm fine with usual screen. The screen size isn't big deal. If picture quality is good - good.

♩♬🐸 Billy C ♯♫♩🐇
Pissing off drunks since 1978
Global Moderator

🍦🍦 Pet Demon for Sale - $5 or best offer ☮☮

View Profile WWW
« Reply #1464 on: October 07, 2018, 02:55:10 PM »

I went to a drive in once as a small kid and all I remember is Ingot ate up by mosquitoes. The next year a storm destroyed the complex. Some clever schlub spray painted Gone with the wind on the marquee

Need your song mixed/mastered? Contact me at fear2stop@yahoo.com. Serious inquiries only, please!
♩♬🐸 Billy C ♯♫♩🐇
Pissing off drunks since 1978
Global Moderator

🍦🍦 Pet Demon for Sale - $5 or best offer ☮☮

View Profile WWW
« Reply #1465 on: October 07, 2018, 02:58:14 PM »

2 The LEGENDARY OSD: Thanks to the polite reply. You're very nice. But I like seeing movies in solitude, in the house, place I'm used to, with cozy chair & total silence. I usually see movie with ear buds or Beats by Dr. Dre 'phones. I may've liked drive-in theatre as kid, as they usually like these fun exciting things, eating chocolate bars to boot, everything's allowed. I'd like 50s sci-fi films especially, knowing me that's sure as hell. Today, in present time, I tell you I wouldn't like it, due to reasons I listed above. It's simply not my bag, going by descriptions. It's cool you got such fun mem'ries but frankly am not that easygoing as many of you or "liking communal experience in watching movies" type. Many like going to pictures due to big screen as well. I'm fine with usual screen. The screen size isn't big deal. If picture quality is good - good.

I don’t enjoy going to the movies anymore. Particularly the high prices but also because I don’t dig much of modern movies anymore especially with the over reliance on cgi. We go once a year on Jaymie’s birthday. In the past it’s become of the despicable me/minions movies or something like that. She’s into horror more than anything else now so next year will be different

Need your song mixed/mastered? Contact me at fear2stop@yahoo.com. Serious inquiries only, please!
The LEGENDARY OSD
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #1466 on: October 07, 2018, 04:14:08 PM »

I don’t enjoy going to the movies anymore. Particularly the high prices but also because I don’t dig much of modern movies anymore especially with the over reliance on cgi. We go once a year on Jaymie’s birthday. In the past it’s become of the despicable me/minions movies or something like that. She’s into horror more than anything else now so next year will be different

Ha! The last movie I went to in a theatre was Love and Mercy and I can't see going again in the near future based on what's being offered these days.

Wata
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #1467 on: October 07, 2018, 10:10:14 PM »

The last movie I saw at the theater was Eight Days a Week from two years ago.

If they're going to remaster Let It Be for its 50th anniversary, it'd be great and I'm definitely going to see it, but otherwise, I'm not interested in going see movies anymore.
Pretty Funky
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #1468 on: October 08, 2018, 04:28:16 AM »

There was a point when the ‘Unpopular Beach Boys Opinion’ thread would have been more appropriate discussing the Blondie/ Carl SOS vocal debate IMO.

« Last Edit: October 08, 2018, 04:30:19 AM by Pretty Funky » Logged
Joel Goldenberg
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #1469 on: October 10, 2018, 09:46:49 AM »

Male Ego is one of my favourite BB songs.
jparis51
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile WWW
« Reply #1470 on: October 10, 2018, 03:05:40 PM »

We Gotta Groove is my favorite unreleased BB song.
« Last Edit: October 10, 2018, 03:06:17 PM by jparis51 » Logged
RangeRoverA1
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #1471 on: October 29, 2018, 02:58:35 PM »

Dennis singing YASBTM is bad beyond. & girls in the audience liked it? Wha'? Then again, the song's really boring, way too sappy.

ForHerCryingSoul
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile WWW
« Reply #1472 on: November 29, 2018, 09:16:42 PM »

Idk if this should be it's own thread or not but I'm just going to spit it out. It's a mouthful. Consider this a year in review: 

Took a long look at what's on the radar for BW an Mike. Came to this conclusion: is it wrong of me to appreciate the fact that Mike is cranking out albums more often than Brian is? It seems like it's going to be years before we get an ounce of new material from Brian, whereas Mike eeked out a Christmas album. Sure Brian might be unable to write anything, but there is plenty of material in the vaults to rerecord or just send out to the presses. I'm pretty tired of sourcing boots that constantly get taken down due to BRI or whoever owns these tracks.

I also like Mike's Celestial Celebration better than No Pier Pressure. No Pier Pressure reminds me of Sweet Insanity after letting the album settle in. TLDR: Lots of the songs are rehashes of previous lyrical ideas. But the main issue I have with NPP is I cannot stand the production on that album's vocals. Have never been a fan of Brian's doubling except in Gershwin, GiOMH, and Imagination. Wish there were more wall of Brian's (vocal stacks). While I do not think there is abundant auto tune in NPP like I thought before, there are definitely weird digital artifacts in the production itself, and unfortunately lots of the harmonies are buried, unlike in LOS IMO. Idk I like Brian's productions, but I don't like some of the directions he is being pulled into.

It's a first world problem, but I can't stand to see this band and BW himself overlooked as I think they have influenced a lot more than people realize at first glance. At my music school I've only seen a couple people listen to the BB's, and they are jazz majors (not my favorite music tbh), and it's disheartening to me that the BB's are looked upon as a "Trump band". Regardless of your politics, I've never liked the forced distinction of being "America's Band", and no matter where you stand, this association with Donald Trump is going to make the Beach Boys look bad to future musicians. IMO if we want their music to continue to have a legacy, I don't think it's wise to associate the band with something so divisive amongst young and older folks, especially when lots of their songs brought people together in the first place...

I'm also not thrilled with how often Brian is touring so often either. Wish he recorded more music instead. While I don't believe all the conspiracy theories surrounding his willingness to participate in touring, some of his actions do make me wonder if he is truly doing okay. Touring seems to strain his voice after a while... Idk it's been a lull for the Beach Boys in general. Hoping this '68 release is worth it... Still want those Bedroom Tapes, but they will probably never come out considering our luck this year with the SWD videos being suspended. I'm salty about that too.

Not a fun year for me being a BB fan. Still love the sh*t out of their music, but am not thrilled with lots of the behind the scenes stuff going on. Thoughts?
Signed Sincerely
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #1473 on: May 03, 2019, 04:18:58 AM »

I've had a look though a few pages in this thread and I love it. I couldn't agree more with some posts. I couldn't disagree more with others. But now I can't not post my own, so apologies for reviving an old thread. Here goes (don't shoot me!):

*Let's Put Our Hearts Together is the best song by the Beach Boys.

*SMiLE is still the best thing Brian ever did, but Brian Wilson Presents Smile is better than the real thing.

*Pet Sounds consists of five great songs, four good songs and four average songs.

*Smiley Smile and Wild Honey are by far their best albums (not counting SMiLE). Give me one of those over Sgt Pepper any day.

*Jack Rieley's vocal on A Day in the Life of a Tree is absolutely magnificent and maybe the best thing on that album.

*Mike certainly deserves around 90-95% of the sh*t he gets.

*Having said that, it is Carl who deserves most of the blame for the band's '80s and '90s output.

*Controversial since we don't have all the details, but I suspect Dennis wasn't cared for well enough by the rest of the band during his battles with drug addiction.

*In terms of Beach Boys contributions, what Blondie did in a couple of years exceeds what Bruce did in 50 years.

*Spirit of America is easily their best car song and should have been a big hit. California Feelin' is pretty awful and the music video makes it worse.
« Last Edit: May 03, 2019, 04:24:56 AM by Signed Sincerely » Logged
JK
Smiley Smile Associate

Maybe I put too much faith in atmosphere

View Profile
« Reply #1474 on: May 03, 2019, 06:49:43 AM »

*Spirit of America is easily their best car song and should have been a big hit.

Old threads are there to be revived, SS. Wink

I love "Spirit Of America". That and the magnificent "Cherry, Cherry Coupe" are my favourites on LDC.

"Ik bun moar een eenvoudige boerenlul en doar schoam ik mien niet veur" (Normaal, 1978)
You're Grass and I'm a Power Mower: A Beach Boys Orchestration Web Series
the Carbon Freeze | Eclectic Essays & Art
gfx
Pages: 1 ... 54 55 56 57 58 [59] 60 61 62 63 64 65 Go Up Print 
gfx
Jump to:  
gfx