gfxgfx

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
logo

gfx gfx
gfx
634603 Posts in 25389 Topics by 3612 Members - Latest Member: mikeloveSTL July 19, 2018, 10:45:06 AM
gfx*HomeHelpSearchCalendarLoginRegistergfx
gfxgfx
Pages: 1 ... 54 55 56 57 58 [59] Go Down Print
Author Topic: Unpopular Beach Boys opinions  (Read 127955 times)
RangeRoverA1
Smiley Smile Associate

I drink expired tea. wanna join?

View Profile
« Reply #1450 on: March 30, 2018, 06:38:16 AM »

In a way, I'd say Brian was the best lyric guy, because he knew who to choose to write 'em.

Trust Brian, he almost always knew best who to use.
Well said, agree 100%. Smiley

To paste the previous thing I said, am curious about this: Giving song low rating due to it being "out of place" "within context" doesn't make any sense & is very misguided. It's been said at PS' "Discuss BBs Songs" thread by many, especially by poster monolithic/ Nicko1234. What's the entire album got to do with its individual songs discussed daily? Brow If song is good, you like it, what's the problem, agree?
« Last Edit: March 30, 2018, 07:35:51 AM by RangeRoverA1 » Logged

Short notice: the cat you see to the left is the best. Not counting your indoor cat who might have habit sitting at your left side when you post at SmileySmile.

If you like chewing the gum - you were cow in past life. If you don't like chewing the gum - you were anybody else. (The Past, The Present, The Future.Tom 1 "The Past")

Doobie Brothers met Nancy Sinatra. She said "Hello, Brothers!" They said "We came here to meet our idols - The Muppets". Nancy stood like tool when they passed her by.
Kid Presentable
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #1451 on: March 30, 2018, 06:51:54 AM »

Mike had some massive stinkers and he totally overrelied on the simple themes but he also had some absolute gems.  On a similar path, Brian also had some complete dregs songs but did some wonderful work as well.  What are your top 5 Brian lyrics and top 5 Mike lyrics?  Likewise, what are your bottom 5?  I bet they are pretty comparable, from the standpoint of those mythical ratings of "artistic quality" and "personal preference".
thorgil
Smiley Smile Associate

GREAT post, Rab!

View Profile
« Reply #1452 on: March 30, 2018, 11:09:25 AM »

I think VDP's work for (and with) Brian in those early Smile months is fantastic. Their artistic personalities, so different, merged miraculously, and the Smile project was the result. Would it have been completed and released if Van had stayed? Maybe, maybe not.

I'm no big fan of Van's other works, and that includes OCA, but don't agree with the flack he is getting lately, either. I always feel a deep respect and gratitude for the co-author of "H&V", "Surf's Up", "Wonderful" and "Cabin Essence".

« Last Edit: March 30, 2018, 11:13:03 AM by thorgil » Logged

DIT, DIT, DIT, HEROES AND VILLAINS...
Angua
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #1453 on: April 01, 2018, 01:50:18 AM »

I think VDP's work for (and with) Brian in those early Smile months is fantastic. Their artistic personalities, so different, merged miraculously, and the Smile project was the result. Would it have been completed and released if Van had stayed? Maybe, maybe not.

I'm no big fan of Van's other works, and that includes OCA, but don't agree with the flack he is getting lately, either. I always feel a deep respect and gratitude for the co-author of "H&V", "Surf's Up", "Wonderful" and "Cabin Essence".

I absolutely and totally agree!  I also like that he tried to encourage Brian to be involved in music again after Landy which I understand was partly what OCA was about.  I think the fact that he left shows the enormous pressure Brian was under to produce something less challenging  to the popular market and I'm saddened that Brian has not had artistic control over his work always or people who were prepared to believe in him and fight his corner.
RangeRoverA1
Smiley Smile Associate

I drink expired tea. wanna join?

View Profile
« Reply #1454 on: April 09, 2018, 06:29:21 PM »

What are your top 5 Brian lyrics and top 5 Mike lyrics?  Likewise, what are your bottom 5?
There isn't any 5 best Brian & ditto Mike lyrics. See, I care ZERO about lyrics. Van Dyke's "Cabin Essence" is the single great example in any BBs song. It's beautiful, it doesn't make sense which is cool by me.

Short notice: the cat you see to the left is the best. Not counting your indoor cat who might have habit sitting at your left side when you post at SmileySmile.

If you like chewing the gum - you were cow in past life. If you don't like chewing the gum - you were anybody else. (The Past, The Present, The Future.Tom 1 "The Past")

Doobie Brothers met Nancy Sinatra. She said "Hello, Brothers!" They said "We came here to meet our idols - The Muppets". Nancy stood like tool when they passed her by.
gfx
Pages: 1 ... 54 55 56 57 58 [59] Go Up Print 
gfx
Jump to:  
gfx