gfxgfx

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
logo

gfx gfx
gfx
680597 Posts in 27600 Topics by 4068 Members - Latest Member: Dae Lims March 28, 2024, 03:03:29 PM
gfx*HomeHelpSearchCalendarLoginRegistergfx
gfxgfx
Pages: 1 ... 53 54 55 56 57 [58] 59 60 61 62 63 ... 65 Go Down Print
Author Topic: Unpopular Beach Boys opinions  (Read 348120 times)
♩♬🐸 Billy C ♯♫♩🐇
Pissing off drunks since 1978
Global Moderator

🍦🍦 Pet Demon for Sale - $5 or best offer ☮☮

View Profile WWW
« Reply #1425 on: March 25, 2018, 01:38:42 PM »

Other than Heroes & Villains, Cabin Essence & Vegetables which I love, I'm not a fan of the lyrics of Van Dyke Parks.
I definitely agree.

What?!?!?    Shocked

You DON'T like Surf's UpBrow

---------------------------
And NOTHING from the Orange Crate Art album?  Not even 1 song?

Nah, I meant nothing aside from the stuff on SMiLE.

As far as OCA... hate the lyrics on there. My Jeanine probably was the worst offender. “Apples were her last name”? Really?!

I’ll admit that I do like the production and arrangements on the album, though.

Need your song mixed/mastered? Contact me at fear2stop@yahoo.com. Serious inquiries only, please!
♩♬🐸 Billy C ♯♫♩🐇
Global Moderator

View Profile WWW
« Reply #1426 on: March 25, 2018, 01:42:07 PM »

Other than Heroes & Villains, Cabin Essence & Vegetables which I love, I'm not a fan of the lyrics of Van Dyke Parks.
I definitely agree.

So you guys don't like Surf's Up? Wonderful? Huh

Just because you don't like VDP lyrics doesn't mean you don't like the song. I don't like his lyrics either but I love all those songs. It's always nice to get good lyrics, but the music is far far more important.

That’s how I feel. Lyrics usually don’t matter to me unless they’re either extremely good, or extremely bad. .

Hell, I’ll say it. Brian was and is a better lyricist than VDP.

Need your song mixed/mastered? Contact me at fear2stop@yahoo.com. Serious inquiries only, please!
wjcrerar
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #1427 on: March 25, 2018, 02:21:32 PM »

« Last Edit: February 23, 2021, 05:07:52 AM by wjcrerar » Logged
KDS
« Reply #1428 on: March 25, 2018, 06:50:23 PM »

I definitely agree.

Just because you don't like VDP lyrics doesn't mean you don't like the song. I don't like his lyrics either but I love all those songs. It's always nice to get good lyrics, but the music is far far more important.

That’s how I feel. Lyrics usually don’t matter to me unless they’re either extremely good, or extremely bad. .

As was Gary Usher, Roger Christian, Mike Love, and Tony Asher. 
♩♬🐸 Billy C ♯♫♩🐇
Global Moderator

View Profile WWW
« Reply #1429 on: March 25, 2018, 06:56:19 PM »

I definitely agree.

Agreed.

Lonely Summer
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #1430 on: March 25, 2018, 09:36:42 PM »

I definitely agree.

You forgot to mention Eugene Landy  LOL
♩♬🐸 Billy C ♯♫♩🐇
Global Moderator

View Profile WWW
« Reply #1431 on: March 25, 2018, 11:35:50 PM »

LOL

KDS
« Reply #1432 on: March 26, 2018, 05:59:51 AM »

I definitely agree.

You forgot to mention Eugene Landy  LOL

And Joe Thomas.   
KDS
« Reply #1433 on: March 26, 2018, 06:01:02 AM »

I definitely agree.

Agreed.

Actually Usher / Christian / Love / Asher > VDP probably isn't even an unpopular opinion based on the popularity of the songs containing those names. 
Jukka
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #1434 on: March 26, 2018, 07:12:20 AM »

Popular opinion or not, it goes Brian, Mike, Christian. The rest are good but those three are the tops.

"Surfing and cars were okay but there was a war going on."
HeyJude
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile WWW
« Reply #1435 on: March 26, 2018, 07:20:46 AM »

Wait, why exactly are we comparing "Smile" lyrics to early-era lyrics?

If VDP had been a continual collaborator, saddling every album project year-after-year with his lyrical style, then I could easily see annoyance creeping in from fans and spectators in general.

But he added his lyrical stylings to pretty much one single album project. I like some of his lyrics better than others, but I can't fathom how "Surf's Up" would sound with Gary Usher lyrics. I somehow doubt it would work nearly as well. VDP's lyrics fit the music he worked on quite well.

There was even a thread a few years back where I thought a truly compelling argument was made that Mike Love could have furnished good lyrics for the entire "Pet Sounds" album. But does anybody really think Mike or Gary Usher or Roger Christian could have written lyrics to "Look" or "Cabinessence" that resonated or had that same vibe?

The only collaborator outside of Mike that I can even see it being worth the trouble to compare to VDP would be Tony Asher, as he was pretty much the only other writer to write nearly a full single album project with Brian. Other writers like Usher and Christian (and Norberg and Titelman and Berry, etc.) were co-writers on random songs here and there.

I dunno, I've never ONCE felt the compulsion to compare or contrast the lyrics of "Little Deuce Coupe" and "Cabinessence." They're of such a different nature in every way, regardless of who wrote them, that I have never felt the need to say one is better than the other. I also never try to parse where "She Loves You" or "Baby You're a Rich Man" have better lyrics.

THE BEACH BOYS OPINION PAGE IS ON FACEBOOK!!! http://www.facebook.com/beachboysopinion - Check out the original "BEACH BOYS OPINION PAGE" Blog - http://beachboysopinion.blogspot.com/
KDS
« Reply #1436 on: March 26, 2018, 07:22:42 AM »

If VDP had been a continual collaborator, saddling every album project year-after-year with his lyrical style, then I could easily see annoyance creeping in from fans and spectators in general.

But he added his lyrical stylings to pretty much one single album project. I like some of his lyrics better than others, but I can't fathom how "Surf's Up" would sound with Gary Usher lyrics. I somehow doubt it would work nearly as well. VDP's lyrics fit the music he worked on quite well.

There was even a thread a few years back where I thought a truly compelling argument was made that Mike Love could have furnished good lyrics for the entire "Pet Sounds" album. But does anybody really think Mike or Gary Usher or Roger Christian could have written lyrics to "Look" or "Cabinessence" that resonated or had that same vibe?

The only collaborator outside of Mike that I can even see it being worth the trouble to compare to VDP would be Tony Asher, as he was pretty much the only other writer to write nearly a full single album project with Brian. Other writers like Usher and Christian (and Norberg and Titelman and Berry, etc.) were co-writers on random songs here and there.

I dunno, I've never ONCE felt the compulsion to compare or contrast the lyrics of "Little Deuce Coupe" and "Cabinessence." They're of such a different nature in every way, regardless of who wrote them, that I have never felt the need to say one is better than the other. I also never try to parse where "She Loves You" or "Baby You're a Rich Man" have better lyrics.

See: Title of Thread. 
♩♬🐸 Billy C ♯♫♩🐇
Global Moderator

View Profile WWW
« Reply #1437 on: March 26, 2018, 11:21:20 AM »

Also, I was referring to VDP in general

HeyJude
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile WWW
« Reply #1438 on: March 26, 2018, 11:47:12 AM »

Dude, I've been on this board for 13 years; since its inception, I get how it works. This thread is older than your membership on this board. I'm very familiar with this thread and its title and premise.

I didn't say anybody's opinion was invalid or inappropriate to the thread. I was batting the topic back and forth, and questioning whether certain subjects for comparison seem to make more or less sense to me. Isn't that the point? To discuss? Otherwise, it's just a thread of people vomiting out whatever random thing they like or don't like that's unpopular, followed by no discussion. If anything, these types of threads seem to invite eliciting *more* response, because it's something that, in theory, goes against the typical/normal/popular consensus.

Does the person that thinks the lyrics to "Shut Down" are better than most of "Smile" really NOT want to have a discussion about that? That sure seems like something that's ripe for discussion. Why would someone relay that opinion if they don't want to discuss it?
« Last Edit: March 26, 2018, 11:54:27 AM by HeyJude » Logged

THE BEACH BOYS OPINION PAGE IS ON FACEBOOK!!! http://www.facebook.com/beachboysopinion - Check out the original "BEACH BOYS OPINION PAGE" Blog - http://beachboysopinion.blogspot.com/
KDS
« Reply #1439 on: March 26, 2018, 11:55:10 AM »

Dude, I've been on this board for 13 years; since its inception, I get how it works.

I didn't say anybody's opinion was invalid or inappropriate to the thread. I was batting the topic back and forth, and questioning whether certain subjects for comparison seem to make more or less sense to me. Isn't that the point? To discuss? Otherwise, it's just a thread of people vomiting out whatever random thing they like or don't like that's unpopular, followed by no discussion. If anything, these types of threads seem to invite eliciting *more* response, because it's something that, in theory, goes against the typical/normal/popular consensus.

Does the person that thinks the lyrics to "Shut Down" are better than most of "Smile" really NOT want to have a discussion about that? That sure seems like something that's ripe for discussion. Why would someone relay that opinion if they don't want to discuss it?

Mainly because discussing opinions with you is more you writing long diatribes about why my opinions are wrong than actually having a discussion. 

But, yes, I prefer the early, more relatable lyrics of Roger, Gary, Brian, Mike, and Tony to the more abstract lyrics than Van Dyke provided for Smile. 
♩♬🐸 Billy C ♯♫♩🐇
Global Moderator

View Profile WWW
« Reply #1440 on: March 26, 2018, 12:52:08 PM »

For me, I prefer the other lyrics but... for SMiLE they were perfect, and nothing else would’ve fit. Nobody else would’ve worked in that role.

That said, I think it would’ve been a one off. I can’t see a Smile pt 2 happening at all. Even if SMiLE had been a huge success sales wise, I think Brian would’ve wanted to a Wild Honey styled album regardless.

KDS
« Reply #1441 on: March 26, 2018, 01:09:53 PM »

For me, I prefer the other lyrics but... for SMiLE they were perfect, and nothing else would’ve fit. Nobody else would’ve worked in that role.

That said, I think it would’ve been a one off. I can’t see a Smile pt 2 happening at all. Even if SMiLE had been a huge success sales wise, I think Brian would’ve wanted to a Wild Honey styled album regardless.

Most likely.   Especially as Smile / Smiley Smile was such an outlier for The Beach Boys in general.   
Lee Marshall
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile WWW
« Reply #1442 on: March 26, 2018, 06:09:04 PM »

« Last Edit: March 27, 2018, 12:09:41 AM by Lee Marshall » Logged

"Add Some...Music...To Your Day.  I do.  It's the only way to fly.  Well...what was I gonna put here?  An apple a day keeps the doctor away?  Hum me a few bars."   Lee Marshall [2014]

Donald  TRUMP!  ...  Is TOAST.  "What a disaster."  "Overrated?"... ... ..."BIG LEAGUE."  "Lots of people are saying it"  "I will tell you that."   Collusion, Money Laundering, Treason.   B'Bye Dirty Donnie!!!  Adios!!!  Bon Voyage!!!  Toodles!!!  Move yourself...SPANKY!!!  Jail awaits.  It's NO "Witch Hunt". There IS Collusion...and worse.  The Russian Mafia!!  Conspiracies!!  Fraud!!  This racist is goin' down...and soon.  Good Riddance.  And take the kids.
RangeRoverA1
Smiley Smile Associate

I drink expired tea. wanna sip or spit?

View Profile
« Reply #1443 on: March 28, 2018, 03:56:29 PM »

I suspect the attitude towards Van Dyke changed when he said sth. in his Twitter at Mike's birthday (I didn't catch what he said, maybe that's why didn't find it insulting to Mike). Before it, there too were posters who didn't like his "riddle" speech style but the others liked it/ him. Now it looks like if Van Dyke said sth. to Mike, he fell in people's eyes. Is it right?

Short notice: the cat you see to the left is the best. Not counting your indoor cat who might have habit sitting at your left side when you post at SmileySmile.

Who is Lucille Ball & Vivian Vance Duet Fan Club CEO? Btw, such Club exists?

Zany zealous Zeddie eats broccoli at brunch break but doesn't do's & don't's due to duties.
KDS
« Reply #1444 on: March 29, 2018, 05:12:41 AM »

I suspect the attitude towards Van Dyke changed when he said sth. in his Twitter at Mike's birthday (I didn't catch what he said, maybe that's why didn't find it insulting to Mike). Before it, there too were posters who didn't like his "riddle" speech style but the others liked it/ him. Now it looks like if Van Dyke said sth. to Mike, he fell in people's eyes. Is it right?

I've never really been a fan of VDP's lyrics since I got into The Beach Boys. 
rickymyfataar
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #1445 on: March 29, 2018, 05:36:37 AM »

Honestly speaking I think Mike would have written some great lyrics for SMilE. He proved himself with I'm Waiting for the day, She knows me too well, Warmth of the Sun, She's Going Bald and Good Vibrations was just a poem by the Lovester.

I have always felt Mike was just jealous of Tony Asher & Van Dyke's involvement and thats where the animosity comes from.  He has always stated that he loves the compositions on SMiLE.
Jukka
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #1446 on: March 29, 2018, 05:38:07 AM »

Arguments about who is the best lyricist are kind of pointless. In a way, I'd say Brian was the best lyric buy, because he knew who to choose to write 'em. VDP:s lyrics are perfect for Smile, but they would have ruined Pet Sounds or Little Deuce Coupe. Roger Christian was great, great writer, but his car porn wouldn't have worked for Surf's Up, am I rite? An obvious case of apples and oranges. Oranges are harder to eat and taste less great than apples, but then again orange juice is way better and more refreshing than apple juice, if you catch my drift. I don't really.

If I'd had to name one above everyone else I'd say Mike, but I would never want him to have written Smile or Pet Sounds lyrics. Trust Brian, he almost always knew best who to use.

"Surfing and cars were okay but there was a war going on."
NateRuvin
Smiley Smile Associate

"I had to prove that I could make it alone"...

View Profile
« Reply #1447 on: March 29, 2018, 07:33:10 AM »

Roger Christian wrote some great non-car lyrics. Check out "A Beginning From An End"
Lee Marshall
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile WWW
« Reply #1448 on: March 29, 2018, 08:54:38 AM »

Arguments about who is the best lyricist are kind of pointless. In a way, I'd say Brian was the best lyric buy, because he knew who to choose to write 'em. VDP:s lyrics are perfect for Smile, but they would have ruined Pet Sounds or Little Deuce Coupe. Roger Christian was great, great writer, but his car porn wouldn't have worked for Surf's Up, am I rite? An obvious case of apples and oranges. Oranges are harder to eat and taste less great than apples, but then again orange juice is way better and more refreshing than apple juice, if you catch my drift. I don't really.

If I'd had to name one above everyone else I'd say Mike, but I would never want him to have written Smile or Pet Sounds lyrics. Trust Brian, he almost always knew best who to use.

They ALL had their time and place.  And, for the most part, that time and place came...and went.  Maybe Tony could help him write something meaningful with a contemporary flair.   How 'bout a relationship/love l.p. for us senior's.  Who does that?  Nobody.  Are we still in love?  Ya...many of us are.  What's the perspective on THAT side of the coin?  Brian?  Tony?  [but please...NOT Mike.  We're not going to the beach...or the school parking lot...or "steady" so much these days...and he's stuck there.]

NEW collaborators might be a better route otherwise.  We already had to endure Do It Again 2017.  And that SUCKED!!!

"Add Some...Music...To Your Day.  I do.  It's the only way to fly.  Well...what was I gonna put here?  An apple a day keeps the doctor away?  Hum me a few bars."   Lee Marshall [2014]

Donald  TRUMP!  ...  Is TOAST.  "What a disaster."  "Overrated?"... ... ..."BIG LEAGUE."  "Lots of people are saying it"  "I will tell you that."   Collusion, Money Laundering, Treason.   B'Bye Dirty Donnie!!!  Adios!!!  Bon Voyage!!!  Toodles!!!  Move yourself...SPANKY!!!  Jail awaits.  It's NO "Witch Hunt". There IS Collusion...and worse.  The Russian Mafia!!  Conspiracies!!  Fraud!!  This racist is goin' down...and soon.  Good Riddance.  And take the kids.
Angua
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #1449 on: March 30, 2018, 06:31:54 AM »

I think VDP added more than just the lyrics to Smile - the whole concept is based on his interests.  Also, I'd say Smile was probably one of the first concept albums and focussed on the concept of American history which later was taken up by many other artists.  The concept of H&V being the sound of a train is one which VDP explored himself in Song Cycle and it's interesting to ponder whether Brian was the catalyst for this or if he had the idea for H&V - though obviously they both got the idea from Gershwin.  I think working closely with someone means you invoke responses to each other's ideas and elaborate on them.  I don't think VDP had more talent than Brian but I do think he brought something to the mix which enabled Brian to excel. I actually like the fact that the lyrics were about something more interesting than love and youth culture.  I also think that the album would probably have pipped Sargent Pepper to the post at being the most original album in a decade and would probably have meant enormous critical success.  It was a complete tragedy that it was not released on time.

The rest is personal preference.  I personally prefer something a bit deeper than lyrics extolling the virtues of cars and so Smile and Brian's own 'Til I Die are personal favourites. I think Brian is a very skilled lyricist himself but choses to work with people to add a different flavour to the work and chooses the person to match the flavour he wants.  Mike wasn't prepared to expand his repertoire so Brian moved on.  Mike was offended by this.  The bottom line is that they had different aims - separating was the only option.
gfx
Pages: 1 ... 53 54 55 56 57 [58] 59 60 61 62 63 ... 65 Go Up Print 
gfx
Jump to:  
gfx