gfxgfx

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
logo

gfx gfx
gfx
680597 Posts in 27600 Topics by 4068 Members - Latest Member: Dae Lims March 28, 2024, 02:18:22 PM
gfx*HomeHelpSearchCalendarLoginRegistergfx
gfxgfx
Pages: 1 ... 43 44 45 46 47 [48] 49 50 51 52 53 ... 65 Go Down Print
Author Topic: Unpopular Beach Boys opinions  (Read 348112 times)
RangeRoverA1
Smiley Smile Associate

I drink expired tea. wanna sip or spit?

View Profile
« Reply #1175 on: July 30, 2016, 03:15:29 PM »

I am not a Scott Totten fan and I make a stinkface whenever I see him churn out one of Carl's guitar solos.  For being pretty much a member of America's foremost rock and roll band, he is not rock and roll to me.  His background is Berklee and playing guitar in Broadway productions and I guess that is part of the problem I have with Mike's traveling show.  Rock and roll is a culture that requires some grit and edginess, and I only identify Cowsill as having that. 
I like Mike's band, no preference of anybody, but they are not r'n'r. BBs did little of r'n'r, some covers that's it. We got Little Richard for that. & that's cool that BBs didn't have r'n'r attitude, in music etc.

Scott Totten is fan of BBs & maybe even bigger of Carl. He slightly modifies some guitar solos. It's good for a change to see guitar player without showmanship. I can't stand it. grittiness/edginess - I don't seek it in BBs. The vocals 1st, the rest behind.
As for John Cowsill, good drummer but very bad singer. He described his voice "Kermit the frog". I agree.

Re: IWFTD - yes, I said before Mike's lead is better than Brian's.

Short notice: the cat you see to the left is the best. Not counting your indoor cat who might have habit sitting at your left side when you post at SmileySmile.

Who is Lucille Ball & Vivian Vance Duet Fan Club CEO? Btw, such Club exists?

Zany zealous Zeddie eats broccoli at brunch break but doesn't do's & don't's due to duties.
KDS
« Reply #1176 on: July 30, 2016, 06:34:13 PM »

Not sure if this is a popular or unpopular opinion, but he just came up in this thread... I am not a Scott Totten fan and I make a stinkface whenever I see him churn out one of Carl's guitar solos.  For being pretty much a member of America's foremost rock and roll band, he is not rock and roll to me.  His background is Berklee and playing guitar in Broadway productions and I guess that is part of the problem I have with Mike's traveling show.  Rock and roll is a culture that requires some grit and edginess, and I only identify Cowsill as having that.  

(edited to soften my initial opinion.  it was the right thing to do!)

Definitely an interesting take. 

But, as much as I love The Beach Boys, when I want to hear grit and edginess, they're not the first band that comes to mind.   
halblaineisgood
« Reply #1177 on: July 30, 2016, 09:14:43 PM »

But, as much as I love The Beach Boys, when I want to hear grit and edginess, they're not the first band that comes to mind.   
Brian's edgy spiritual grittiness or somethign
Sam_BFC
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #1178 on: August 01, 2016, 01:48:18 AM »

Scott T.  Didn't realise he had a Broadway background, but not surprising at all as his performances are suggestive of that style.

I'm a big fan though and like Billy I really like his version of Betsy; I've seen him perform it twice and both times it was a high point of the show for me.  I think his voice really conveys the angst and longing of the song, in its own way.

"..be cautious, don't get your hopes up, look over your shoulder because heartbreak and darkness are always ready to pounce"

petsoundsnola
JK
Smiley Smile Associate

Maybe I put too much faith in atmosphere

View Profile
« Reply #1179 on: August 01, 2016, 02:30:52 AM »

I have heard a rumour that the young lady with Scott & Guitar is Barbara Ann herself. More probably a descendant. Cool Guy

Sadly, the lady who gave her name to the song "Barbara Ann" died six years ago. 

"Ik bun moar een eenvoudige boerenlul en doar schoam ik mien niet veur" (Normaal, 1978)
You're Grass and I'm a Power Mower: A Beach Boys Orchestration Web Series
the Carbon Freeze | Eclectic Essays & Art
KDS
« Reply #1180 on: August 01, 2016, 05:13:32 AM »

Scott T.  Didn't realise he had a Broadway background, but not surprising at all as his performances are suggestive of that style.

I'm a big fan though and like Billy I really like his version of Betsy; I've seen him perform it twice and both times it was a high point of the show for me.  I think his voice really conveys the angst and longing of the song, in its own way.

He also did a good version of The Warmth of the Sun last time I saw M&B.
thorgil
Smiley Smile Associate

GREAT post, Rab!

View Profile
« Reply #1181 on: August 03, 2016, 05:10:11 AM »

I have heard a rumour that the young lady with Scott & Guitar is Barbara Ann herself. More probably a descendant. Cool Guy

Thanks, I didn't know the song was inspired by a real lady with the same name. I'm sorry she died, of course.
By the way, I don't understand all the flack the song gets from BB fans. It was Barbara Ann, more than fifty years ago, that introduced me to the wonderful world of BB vocal harmony. Not the best song in their canon, but far from the worst imho.
« Last Edit: August 03, 2016, 05:11:17 AM by thorgil » Logged

DIT, DIT, DIT, HEROES AND VILLAINS...
KDS
« Reply #1182 on: August 03, 2016, 05:13:39 AM »

Thanks, I didn't know the song was inspired by a real lady with the same name. I'm sorry she died, of course.
By the way, I don't understand all the flack the song gets from BB fans. It was Barbara Ann, more than fifty years ago, that introduced me to the wonderful world of BB vocal harmony. Not the best song in their canon of course, but far from the worst imho.

I'm not a Barbara Ann hater, but I think it gets flack from BB fans for how successful it became.  Especially since it came out in an era where Brian was flourishing as a producer, and this simple cover song becomes one of their biggest hits, and remains in the encores at BB/M&B/BW shows. 

I feel it's kinda like Kokomo in that fans are perplexed how "this song" became more successful than other, more superior songs. 

thorgil
Smiley Smile Associate

GREAT post, Rab!

View Profile
« Reply #1183 on: August 05, 2016, 04:05:50 AM »

I love "Bambu", as released in 2008, even more than "Pacific Ocean Blue".

Rick5150
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #1184 on: August 05, 2016, 04:10:58 AM »

Mike should do everything in his power to get Charles Manson out of jail, in the studio and up on stage. That way he can have someone who writes better songs than he can, and he can have someone on stage that is hated more than he is. Win-win.

Just kidding, I actually think Mike is pretty cool and gets a worse rap than he deserves most of the time. And Manson is despicable.
RangeRoverA1
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #1185 on: August 05, 2016, 05:27:50 AM »

You are right, Mr. 50, Charlie Manson does write better songs than Mike. I even like "Cease to Exist". Every song where he sings *alone*, in fact. The stuff where Family Air Quotes joins sounds like bunch of losers, ha!

Re Barbara ann, whoever was inspiration for the song - it's irrelevant now. I like it because it's catchy & deserved Top 2.

Short notice: the cat you see to the left is the best. Not counting your indoor cat who might have habit sitting at your left side when you post at SmileySmile.

Zany zealous Zeddie eats broccoli at brunch break but doesn't do's & don't's due to duties.
petsoundsnola
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #1186 on: August 06, 2016, 03:02:45 PM »

Besides the inclusion of GV and H&V, I cannot stand Smiley Smile.  I know folks praise the laid back vibe, low-key vocal arrangements, etc.... I find it unlistenable.
KDS
« Reply #1187 on: August 06, 2016, 10:11:24 PM »

Besides the inclusion of GV and H&V, I cannot stand Smiley Smile.  I know folks praise the laid back vibe, low-key vocal arrangements, etc.... I find it unlistenable.

I'll agree with that.  I think Smiley Smile is easily their worst 60s album.   If not for GV and B and V, it would be a candidate for the worst album in their entire catalog.
thorgil
Smiley Smile Associate

GREAT post, Rab!

View Profile
« Reply #1188 on: August 07, 2016, 04:42:13 AM »

I love Smiley Smile. Only issue I have with it: too short.
« Last Edit: August 07, 2016, 04:43:22 AM by thorgil » Logged

JK
Smiley Smile Associate

Maybe I put too much faith in atmosphere

View Profile
« Reply #1189 on: August 07, 2016, 04:53:29 AM »

I'll agree with that.  I think Smiley Smile is easily their worst 60s album.   If not for GV and B and V, it would be a candidate for the worst album in their entire catalog.

I wonder how many posters here actually bought it at the time? There can't be too many candidates. I certainly did.

I remember the build-up given to "Smile". I'm not sure whether I read Derek Taylor's "scrapped" announcement (maybe I never bought that copy of Disc & Music Echo). And then Smiley Smile arrived in the shops. I bought it together with The Mothers' Absolutely Free (I bought everything in pairs in those days).

It took me months to come to terms with this strange album. But I came to love it eventually. 

"Ik bun moar een eenvoudige boerenlul en doar schoam ik mien niet veur" (Normaal, 1978)
You're Grass and I'm a Power Mower: A Beach Boys Orchestration Web Series
the Carbon Freeze | Eclectic Essays & Art
RangeRoverA1
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #1190 on: August 07, 2016, 04:57:07 AM »

Ditto. Every track should be mini-rock opera length.

thorgil
Smiley Smile Associate

GREAT post, Rab!

View Profile
« Reply #1191 on: August 08, 2016, 04:23:39 AM »

Ditto. Every track should be mini-rock opera length.
Would be fantastic. Smiley

John: I had Smiley Smile as a gift in 1967. It caught me at first listen, so delightfully strange.
« Last Edit: August 08, 2016, 04:28:08 AM by thorgil » Logged

RangeRoverA1
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #1192 on: September 18, 2016, 01:33:35 AM »

No Pier Pressure "worst" tracks ("Runaway Dancer", "Don't Worry", the Peter Hollens tune) don't seem as bad. I esp. like "Don't Worry"; features some of best current Brian vocs plus it's catchy.

SurferDownUnder
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #1193 on: September 18, 2016, 02:54:43 AM »

No Pier Pressure "worst" tracks ("Runaway Dancer", "Don't Worry", the Peter Hollens tune) don't seem as bad. I esp. like "Don't Worry"; features some of best current Brian vocs plus it's catchy.

I'm going to go the other way with this, while I don't think NPP is bad because it certainly isn't I find that there isn't much direction in the album and find it hard to listen to many of the tracks because out of context they can seem sort of soulless (see Runaway Dancer, Sail Away etc...)
Rick5150
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #1194 on: September 18, 2016, 08:13:45 AM »

Mike constantly brings up the Wilson's drug and alcohol use because it had an incredibly negative impact on his life and the life of his cousins. It did result in some great music, but it took Mike (and the Beach Boys group) out of the fun-in-the-sun comfort zone and put them into the psychedelic/art music which was clearly not the direction Mike wanted to go toward. Whether it was better for the band or not, it changed Mikes life in a way that he feels was negative.

If his life was changed because his wife was killed by a drunk driver and he brought up drinking and driving every time he was interviewed, it would be more understandable. But the fact that he constantly brings up how his life was changed because his cousins imbibed excessively and did drugs seems to irritate people.We are annoyed because we read all this stuff and examine each word ad nauseum, but the casual person watching his interviews may be hearing this stuff for the first time and they may find it fascinating.
HeroesandVillains
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #1195 on: September 21, 2016, 02:50:37 AM »

The disco version of Here Comes The night is actually really good.

« Last Edit: September 21, 2016, 02:53:29 AM by HeroesandVillains » Logged
RangeRoverA1
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #1196 on: October 09, 2016, 04:40:05 AM »

Listening to "Live in Las Vegas", track "Sloop John B", I would say this is *as* good as Pet Sounds. Fantastic & got energy. I like the idea of Wendy singing DWB too, she has better of the 2 sisters voice, a bit "country". Best BBs-related live album imo.

HeyJude
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile WWW
« Reply #1197 on: October 10, 2016, 06:44:17 AM »

Mike constantly brings up the Wilson's drug and alcohol use because it had an incredibly negative impact on his life and the life of his cousins. It did result in some great music, but it took Mike (and the Beach Boys group) out of the fun-in-the-sun comfort zone and put them into the psychedelic/art music which was clearly not the direction Mike wanted to go toward. Whether it was better for the band or not, it changed Mikes life in a way that he feels was negative.

If his life was changed because his wife was killed by a drunk driver and he brought up drinking and driving every time he was interviewed, it would be more understandable. But the fact that he constantly brings up how his life was changed because his cousins imbibed excessively and did drugs seems to irritate people.We are annoyed because we read all this stuff and examine each word ad nauseum, but the casual person watching his interviews may be hearing this stuff for the first time and they may find it fascinating.

I don't feel there's anything unpopular about your sentiments. I would imagine most would agree.

I don't think anyone can deny drugs and alcohol brought tremendous problems to the band, its members, the families, and so on. If Mike was able to broach this topic in a sensitive fashion, it would very much be worth addressing. His tearful discussion of this aspect in front of the "Cal Saga" band's gig in 2012 was a very humanizing moment for Mike. Probably because he had children of most of the band members standing right behind him, he didn't go inflammatory and simply discussed how much everybody can be hurt by drugs and alcohol.

The problem with Mike's references to this over the years have been that, as with the songwriting lawsuit issue, he's beating an issue to death that has been addressed, an issue for which everybody involved has either paid the ultimate price (death) or got their s**t together and don't do it anymore (e.g. Brian). The guy who is still alive (Brian) will *always* point out how drugs were bad and how if he could go back he wouldn't do drugs, etc.

That Mike then *still* can't show much if any empathy and continues to raise the issue when seemingly *everybody else*, including other family members and band members who were impacted *just as much*, if not more than Mike, has moved on at least do the degree where they don't talk about it with vitriol in every interview they do.

THE BEACH BOYS OPINION PAGE IS ON FACEBOOK!!! http://www.facebook.com/beachboysopinion - Check out the original "BEACH BOYS OPINION PAGE" Blog - http://beachboysopinion.blogspot.com/
RangeRoverA1
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #1198 on: November 29, 2016, 08:07:47 AM »

Let's start with some controversial or not points about how I feel about the Beach Boys

1. Carl was by far the best singer in the band just as how Dennis was the worst by far
2. Pet Sounds is a far better album than SMILE
3. Holland is vastly overrated as an album while Love You is genius
4. Mike Love's solo albums do contain some good moments and are not nearly as bad as people make out
5. Brian is completely responsible for SMILE not being completed
6. SMILE would be a critical favorite but would take decades to go platinum
7. Brian would be far healthier today had he quit the Beach Boys and gone solo in 1966/67
8. The Beach Boys would be just as successful if Mike Love never wrote any lyrics
9. Most of the problems between Mike and Brian were actually caused by Brian
10. Mike Love would have had zero success and be a complete unknown without Brian
1. This is popular opinion. 70s Dennis is the worst singer in the band.
2. Ditto. I prefer The Smile Sessions to Pet Sounds.
3. Kinda 50/50. Equally you'll see that people underrate both albums & overrate.
4. Agree.
5. What many said.
6. It would be cool! 3D
7. There is some logic there.
8. Going to say yes.
9. Well Mike is adult, Brian & Mike to blame together.
10. Like thorgil said, in different field he could build career.

RangeRoverA1
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #1199 on: December 06, 2016, 07:54:20 PM »

- Should Mike & Bruce retire, Al is 1st choice to front the band. Jeff Foskett is OK but to give him use The Beach Boys brand just isn't right. Then John Stamos should join Jeff if he tours as "Beach Boys". You know, he's "biggest BBs fan" too.
Suspect it isn't unpopular.

- WIRWFC is good. Like the new "Little Saint Nick" & "The Man with All the Toys".

gfx
Pages: 1 ... 43 44 45 46 47 [48] 49 50 51 52 53 ... 65 Go Up Print 
gfx
Jump to:  
gfx