gfxgfx

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
logo

gfx gfx
gfx
680601 Posts in 27601 Topics by 4068 Members - Latest Member: Dae Lims March 29, 2024, 02:03:04 PM
gfx*HomeHelpSearchCalendarLoginRegistergfx
gfxgfx
Pages: 1 ... 35 36 37 38 39 [40] 41 42 43 44 45 ... 65 Go Down Print
Author Topic: Unpopular Beach Boys opinions  (Read 348311 times)
Rocky Raccoon
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #975 on: May 27, 2015, 04:01:16 PM »

Unpopular opinion: I think "Winds of Change" is a really pretty song, especially the tag with Brian and Al singing "Won't last forever..." which is just gorgeous.

drbeachboy
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #976 on: May 27, 2015, 05:29:21 PM »

Unpopular opinion: I think "Winds of Change" is a really pretty song, especially the tag with Brian and Al singing "Won't last forever..." which is just gorgeous.
Even more gorgeous on When I Grow Up. Wink

The Brianista Prayer

Oh Brian
Thou Art In Hawthorne,
Harmonied Be Thy name
Your Kingdom Come,
Your Steak Well Done,
On Stage As It Is In Studio,
Give Us This Day, Our Shortenin' Bread
And Forgive Us Our Bootlegs,
As We Also Have Forgiven Our Wife And Managers,
And Lead Us Not Into Kokomo,
But Deliver Us From Mike Love.
Amen.  ---hypehat
kookadams
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile WWW
« Reply #977 on: May 27, 2015, 08:02:17 PM »

I don't recall Dennis' vocals being the problem with 15 BO.  Brian's were a problem, with a bunch of weakly produced tracks.  After Endless Summer and Spirit of America, the fans were looking for something great and they got a medicore record.
that was the 70s...mainstream rock post-1967 is beyond tacky and tawdry.

In my above post, I was specifically referring to Dennis' lead vocal on "In The Still Of The Night". I think as a song selection, "In The Still Of The Night" was acceptable. And, I think Brian did a great arrangement of the song. But, hey, I love Dennis' vocal work on POB and some other BB ballads, but "In The Still Of The Night" was a misstep. I think you have to really, really, really like Dennis to appreciate that vocal.

Coming off Endless Summer/Spirit Of America, I think most fans, whether casual or diehard, were expecting the good ol' Beach Boys' vocals. I lived through it and I played 15 Big Ones for family, friends, co-workers, and casual Beach Boys' fans. Their reactions included, "THAT'S the Beach Boys?" and "THAT'S Brian Wilson?" and for Dennis' lead, "WHO is singing THAT?" The reactions included wincing, maybe shaking of the head, maybe a confused kind of look.

Hell, just show anyone the cover. It's like sleaze and mildew and the shallow charms of a sociopath all embodied in one grotesque image. The very definition of tacky and ew.
Mujan, 8@$+@Rc| of a Blue Wizard
Smiley Smile Associate

SMiLE is America: Infinite Potential Never Reached

View Profile WWW
« Reply #978 on: May 27, 2015, 08:50:24 PM »

I don't recall Dennis' vocals being the problem with 15 BO.  Brian's were a problem, with a bunch of weakly produced tracks.  After Endless Summer and Spirit of America, the fans were looking for something great and they got a medicore record.
that was the 70s...mainstream rock post-1967 is beyond tacky and tawdry.

In my above post, I was specifically referring to Dennis' lead vocal on "In The Still Of The Night". I think as a song selection, "In The Still Of The Night" was acceptable. And, I think Brian did a great arrangement of the song. But, hey, I love Dennis' vocal work on POB and some other BB ballads, but "In The Still Of The Night" was a misstep. I think you have to really, really, really like Dennis to appreciate that vocal.

Coming off Endless Summer/Spirit Of America, I think most fans, whether casual or diehard, were expecting the good ol' Beach Boys' vocals. I lived through it and I played 15 Big Ones for family, friends, co-workers, and casual Beach Boys' fans. Their reactions included, "THAT'S the Beach Boys?" and "THAT'S Brian Wilson?" and for Dennis' lead, "WHO is singing THAT?" The reactions included wincing, maybe shaking of the head, maybe a confused kind of look.

Hell, just show anyone the cover. It's like sleaze and mildew and the shallow charms of a sociopath all embodied in one grotesque image. The very definition of tacky and ew.

No way. Mainstream rock was still very respectable throughout the 60s and into the early 70s. My favorite period in pop music is 1966 to 1973. From Pet Sounds to Dark Side of the Moon. What I consider the "classic" era of psychedelic rock. Im not sure how you can leave 1968-1970 out of your cutoff point. Those were some of the best years of rock and roll. Once the seventies started, it got a bit spottier, but there were still a lot of great albums coming out, including psychedelic classics Just a Poke and Cottonwoodhill.

Here are my SMiLE Mixes. All are 2 suite, but still vastly different in several ways. Be on the lookout for another, someday.

Aquarian SMiLE>HERE
Dumb Angel (Olorin Edition)>HERE
Dumb Angel [the Romestamo Cut]>HERE

& This is a new pet project Ive worked on, which combines Fritz Lang's classic film, Metropolis (1927) with The United States of America (1968) as a new soundtrack. More info is in the video description.
The American Metropolitan Circus>HERE
[
Custom Machine
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #979 on: May 27, 2015, 10:31:03 PM »

I fucking love Johnny Carson. "Who's the man that we admire/Johnny Carson is a real live wire"! That is eccentric genius at its best.

Absolutely love that one as well. Every element of that song meshes together with perfection. To the best of my recollection, Johnny Carson never acknowledged it. It's such a funny and fun song, hope Mr. Carson didn't mistake it as a potential parody, when in fact it exemplified the original title of the album, "Brian Loves You," from BW to JC.

♩♬🐸 Billy C ♯♫♩🐇
Pissing off drunks since 1978
Global Moderator

🍦🍦 Pet Demon for Sale - $5 or best offer ☮☮

View Profile WWW
« Reply #980 on: May 28, 2015, 12:11:23 AM »

I'm going to make some enemies with these....

1) *Every* BB album has at least two good songs on it.
2) I'd put LA Light at the bottom of the album list, not counting the early albums. It has some good songs on it, but overall is boring as f***.
3) Don't Hurt My Little Sister may be the worst song Brian ever wrote with the band (that was released). I'll *never* understand why people like that song.
4). I'd listen to a 'bad' BW vocal over a good Jardine vocal any day of the week.
5). Smile excepted I'd rather a Mike Love lyric over a VDP lyric any day of the week .
6) After Going Public, the worst solo disc is OCA by a long shot  , and not  because of Brian's  vocals ('Apples were her last name', indeed).
7) BB 85 may have been the most underrated album of their career, and would be ranked higher by me if not for Brian's songs (there's a sentence I can't believe I typed)

Need your song mixed/mastered? Contact me at fear2stop@yahoo.com. Serious inquiries only, please!
Eric Aniversario
Smiley Smile Associate

Keep the Summer Alive!

View Profile WWW
« Reply #981 on: May 28, 2015, 12:50:35 AM »

2) I'd put LA Light at the bottom of the album list, not counting the early albums. It has some good songs on it, but overall is boring as f***.
3) Don't Hurt My Little Sister may be the worst song Brian ever wrote with the band (that was released). I'll *never* understand why people like that song.
4). I'd listen to a 'bad' BW vocal over a good Jardine vocal any day of the week.
5). Smile excepted I'd rather a Mike Love lyric over a VDP lyric any day of the week .
6) After Going Public, the worst solo disc is OCA by a long shot  , and not  because of Brian's  vocals ('Apples were her last name', indeed).
7) BB 85 may have been the most underrated album of their career, and would be ranked higher by me if not for Brian's songs (there's a sentence I can't believe I typed)

Well at least we agree on #1! :-)
phirnis
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #982 on: May 28, 2015, 03:07:12 AM »

Don't Hurt My Little Sister sounds a bit annoying to me if I'm in the wrong mood but other than that it's a good song I think. Probably the weakest song on Today but pretty strong nonetheless and to me it doesn't stick out at all.

Brian's material on BB85 sounds a bit lifeless to me but I really like both I'm So Lonely and It's Just a Matter of Time nonetheless, they're good compositions with nice personal lyrics. I too think the album itself is underrated. Personally I definitely prefer it over NPP and maybe even TWGMTR (though I really enjoyed that one).
KDS
« Reply #983 on: May 28, 2015, 05:17:53 AM »

Agreed 100%.  Love that song. 
Douchepool
Smiley Smile Associate

Time to make the chimifuckingchangas.

View Profile
« Reply #984 on: May 28, 2015, 05:25:54 AM »

Billy hit the nail on the head with OCA although I'd rank it lower than Going Public...along with GIOMH and Country Love, it's part of the triumvirate of crap solo releases. It's just a borefest from beginning to end.

The Artist Formerly Known as Deadpool. You may refer to me as such, or as Mr. Pool.

This is also Mr. Pool's Naughty List. Don't end up on here. It will be updated.
KDS
« Reply #985 on: May 28, 2015, 05:30:11 AM »

Here's an extremely unpopular opinion......

Ready....

While I love Brian's introspective lyrics, I also love the Beach Boys post 1965 fun & sun songs.  This includes, but are not limited to:

Do It Again
It's OK
California Calling
Kokomo
Summer in Paradise (the song, not the album)
Daybreak Over the Ocean
Beaches in Mind
On the Island (BW solo) 
Douchepool
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #986 on: May 28, 2015, 06:00:02 AM »

California Calling is a GREAT fucking track...excellent driving music.

Keepin' the Summer Alive is easily the worst Beach Boys album. Don't know if that's an "unpopular" opinion or not.

The Artist Formerly Known as Deadpool. You may refer to me as such, or as Mr. Pool.

KDS
« Reply #987 on: May 28, 2015, 06:03:14 AM »

Keepin' the Summer Alive is easily the worst Beach Boys album. Don't know if that's an "unpopular" opinion or not.

I think KTSA is a terrible album.  But I think Summer in Paradise has it beat. 

It's a shame that KTSA is the last album to feature all five original Beach Boys (even if Dennis only made a cameo). 
SMiLE Brian
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #988 on: May 28, 2015, 06:04:13 AM »

California Calling in Philadelphia traffic? Wink

And production aside, I’d so much rather hear a 14 year old David Marks shred some guitar on Chug-a-lug than hear a 51 year old Mike Love sing about bangin some chick in a swimming pool.-rab2591
Douchepool
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #989 on: May 28, 2015, 06:06:42 AM »

Summer in Paradise is MUCH more listenable despite everything being computerized.

Douchepool
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #990 on: May 28, 2015, 06:07:26 AM »

California Calling in Philadelphia traffic? Wink

I'd roll the windows up in Filthadelphia if I had that song on. Smiley

bluesno1fann
« Reply #991 on: May 28, 2015, 06:07:36 AM »

« Last Edit: May 28, 2015, 06:08:38 AM by Gettin' pretty damn hungry now... » Logged
KDS
« Reply #992 on: May 28, 2015, 06:11:03 AM »

Summer in Paradise is MUCH more listenable despite everything being computerized.

Either way, KTSA and SIP are the two dust collectors on my Beach Boys CD shelf. 

Although I will say that I like the live version of Summer in Paradise (the one from MIC) better than anything on KTSA. 
Douchepool
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #993 on: May 28, 2015, 06:11:55 AM »

This opinion is the most wrong of all wrong Beach Boys opinions. You should be banned for posting it.

bluesno1fann
« Reply #994 on: May 28, 2015, 06:32:47 AM »

This opinion is the most wrong of all wrong Beach Boys opinions. You should be banned for posting it.

Lol, it was actually a reply to somebody. But I misunderstood what he said, so I just deleted it.
Mike's Beard
Smiley Smile Associate

Check your privilege. Love & Mercy guys!

View Profile
« Reply #995 on: May 28, 2015, 08:24:03 AM »

Although the albums are miles apart stylistically I'd say Summer in Paradise and That's Why God Made the Radio are, quality wise, about as good (or bad) as each other. KTSA is much better than both of them.

I'd rather be forced to sleep with Caitlyn Jenner then ever have to listen to NPP again.
Eric Aniversario
Smiley Smile Associate

Keep the Summer Alive!

View Profile WWW
« Reply #996 on: May 28, 2015, 10:52:04 AM »

Billy hit the nail on the head with OCA although I'd rank it lower than Going Public...along with GIOMH and Country Love, it's part of the triumvirate of crap solo releases. It's just a borefest from beginning to end.

I have an unpopular opinion regarding OCA...it is my favorite Brian album. POB and OCA are my favorite BB solo albums. They have been for 20 years. As much as I enjoy most of Brian's releases since that time, nothing matches OCA for me. The closest would be BWPS for me, and TLOS.
phirnis
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #997 on: May 28, 2015, 11:02:42 AM »

Count me in as another fan of OCA. The singing is downright weird but other than that it's a nice laid-back record with lots of good songs on it. It's easily one of Brian's more interesting non-BB albums as it is so different from what people usually expect a BW/BB record to sound and yet it is essentially upbeat pop music about California. The cover art is beautiful too. Wish Brian would've participated in more projects like this one.
♩♬🐸 Billy C ♯♫♩🐇
Pissing off drunks since 1978
Global Moderator

🍦🍦 Pet Demon for Sale - $5 or best offer ☮☮

View Profile WWW
« Reply #998 on: May 28, 2015, 11:16:31 AM »

San Francisco is a great song. The title track is too, but is massively over produced.  Me and my hobo heart is good. The rest? Ranges from merely ok to awful.

Need your song mixed/mastered? Contact me at fear2stop@yahoo.com. Serious inquiries only, please!
phirnis
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #999 on: May 28, 2015, 12:13:43 PM »

This Town Goes Down at Sunset reminds me of the Friends album (not in terms of singing and overall production, though). Summer in Monterey is nice too. Lots of good material if you ask me.
gfx
Pages: 1 ... 35 36 37 38 39 [40] 41 42 43 44 45 ... 65 Go Up Print 
gfx
Jump to:  
gfx