gfxgfx

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
logo

gfx gfx
gfx
680598 Posts in 27600 Topics by 4068 Members - Latest Member: Dae Lims March 28, 2024, 06:46:23 PM
gfx*HomeHelpSearchCalendarLoginRegistergfx
gfxgfx
Pages: 1 ... 32 33 34 35 36 [37] 38 39 40 41 42 ... 65 Go Down Print
Author Topic: Unpopular Beach Boys opinions  (Read 348150 times)
Moon Dawg
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #900 on: May 25, 2015, 07:55:24 AM »

My unpopular opinions:

1. Endless Summer gave the group a career that otherwise would have dwindled down by the late 70's.
2. Said album was nearly perfect.
3. Kokomo was and is a fantastic hit single.
4. If SMiLE was canceled because of "Mikes additude", than Brian was a wimp.
5. Most everything after Good Vibrations was mediocure, except for about a dozen tracks.
6. Brian can't hit any notes correctly.
7. Stan Love was a good guy.
8. Dennis Wilson was an out of control maniac who wasn't a good guy.
9. Carl Wilson was an a-hole to Brian for many years.
10. Brians melodys without lyrics from Usher/Love/Christiansen would have been largely unheard.

#2   Except nobody at Capitol remembered which versions of "Be True to Your School" and "Help Me Rhonda" had been hit singles.
 #8   Shades of gray, shades of gray. Few of us are all good, or all bad.
 #9   Carl did have his own life to live. Yes, he did underestimate Brian's ability to tour behind a PET SOUNDS revival in the 90s.
 #10 More often than not, the music carried the lyrics. Also true on PET SOUNDS.
Douchepool
Smiley Smile Associate

Time to make the chimifuckingchangas.

View Profile
« Reply #901 on: May 25, 2015, 08:04:42 AM »

My unpopular opinions:

1. Endless Summer gave the group a career that otherwise would have dwindled down by the late 70's.
5. Most everything after Good Vibrations was mediocure, except for about a dozen tracks.
10. Brians melodys without lyrics from Usher/Love/Christiansen would have been largely unheard.

I don't envy the response you'll get for these...

The Artist Formerly Known as Deadpool. You may refer to me as such, or as Mr. Pool.

This is also Mr. Pool's Naughty List. Don't end up on here. It will be updated.
SIP Mike
Smiley Smile Associate

Goin' To The Beach!

View Profile
« Reply #902 on: May 25, 2015, 08:49:24 AM »

My unpopular opinions:

Post of the week!

Drinking Buddies Beer Pirate Rock! High Five Love w00t! w00t! w00t!

Music, after all, is all about lifting mood.
Mujan, 8@$+@Rc| of a Blue Wizard
Smiley Smile Associate

SMiLE is America: Infinite Potential Never Reached

View Profile WWW
« Reply #903 on: May 25, 2015, 01:19:10 PM »

I know, I spent my 20's with clinical depression, and what a self obsessed little whiner I was. At the time I knew it was illness over which I had no control, but now, looking back, I think that was just excuses. There was plenty I could have done to have snapped out of it. Now I look back and I'm embarrassed, so no. I don't have time for it.

From how you're describing it, no, you seemingly didn't have clinical depression and don't seem to understand how it works at all.

Did you know, in poor parts of the world there isn't such a thing as clinical depression. People are too busy trying to survive.

Probably due to extremely poor medical care, lack of understanding of mental illness and, above all else, people with mental illness likely don't last nearly as long in those parts for a number of reasons. Lack of understanding and lack of documentation doesn't mean it doesn't exist.

I get your point though, and Brian's illness was far worse than mine. BUT, like mine it was exasperated by drug use, so ultimately he is responsible. I try to retain my pity for people who deserve it, not rich rock stars who have never had to face reality.

Brian hearing voices and having hallucinations was just as likely to happen eventually had he never touched drugs. People go through this sh*t all the time without doing drugs. Ever. Merely existing can often be a total nightmare for them. Attitudes like yours only make things harder for them.

Are you really gonna tell someone with schizophrenia to "get over it" because other people have it worse? It's not a contest, for Christ's sake, and anyone living with mental illness in a non-poor area is likely well aware that others have it worse (which, in turn, can create even more guilt and shame than they already very much feel. Neat!). It doesn't prevent their brain from being broken to some extent. Think about it: who WANTS to be a broken, depressed failure who struggles just to exist? Standing in the kitchen making dinner and suddenly being struck with fear, panic, and loss of control? Sitting down after a long day and suddenly, without warning or reason, being absolutely overwhelmed and exhausted with sadness for no reason? Sounds like a shitty time, to me.

I don't think you'd tell a cancer patient, "Shape up, others have it much worse," so why come after people with genuine mental illness? Just because you can't see it doesn't mean it's not going on or it's your place to judge if they're genuinely ill or not. Any disease will have its scam artists, plenty of people have faked having cancer to get money, does that mean we should have an attiitude and badger someone anytime they say they have cancer? The situation is the same here.

Hopefully you don't take this as an attack, I just can't get on board with this sort of thinking. It feels very regressive to me, only making the problem worse. Again, it's not a contest of who has it worse, here. You can be horribly, clinically depressed, ill-fit for this world and this life, and still be extremely compassionate toward those less fortunate than you are and appreciate that you have it better than they do and hey, you're lucky to be alive and still have a chance.

w00t!  w00t! w00t!
« Last Edit: May 25, 2015, 01:21:16 PM by Mujan, B@st@rd Son of a Blue Wizard » Logged

Here are my SMiLE Mixes. All are 2 suite, but still vastly different in several ways. Be on the lookout for another, someday.

Aquarian SMiLE>HERE
Dumb Angel (Olorin Edition)>HERE
Dumb Angel [the Romestamo Cut]>HERE

& This is a new pet project Ive worked on, which combines Fritz Lang's classic film, Metropolis (1927) with The United States of America (1968) as a new soundtrack. More info is in the video description.
The American Metropolitan Circus>HERE
[
Ovi
Smiley Smile Associate

They know I'm rock 'n' roll through and through.

View Profile
« Reply #904 on: May 25, 2015, 01:23:32 PM »

My unpopular opinions:

Almost everything after Good Vibrations is mediocre, but Kokomo is fantastic. Lord help us.
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile WWW
« Reply #905 on: May 25, 2015, 01:41:09 PM »

I don't really consider Smile to be a psychedelic album.

Shocked

Here are my SMiLE Mixes. All are 2 suite, but still vastly different in several ways. Be on the lookout for another, someday.

Aquarian SMiLE>HERE

& This is a new pet project Ive worked on, which combines Fritz Lang's classic film, Metropolis (1927) with The United States of America (1968) as a new soundtrack. More info is in the video description.
[
Douchepool
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #906 on: May 25, 2015, 01:48:34 PM »

My unpopular opinions:

Almost everything after Good Vibrations is mediocre, but Kokomo is fantastic. Lord help us.

Hence the thread title. Smiley

The Artist Formerly Known as Deadpool. You may refer to me as such, or as Mr. Pool.

Peter Reum
Honored Guest

Serving fine tortillas since 1965

View Profile
« Reply #907 on: May 25, 2015, 01:53:44 PM »

Thanks to Mujan for the cool mix of Aquarian Smile.....

If it runs amuck, call the duck
Ovi
Smiley Smile Associate

They know I'm rock 'n' roll through and through.

View Profile
« Reply #908 on: May 25, 2015, 01:56:39 PM »

My unpopular opinions:

Hence the thread title. Smiley

Criminal Beach Boys Opinions?  Grin
Douchepool
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #909 on: May 25, 2015, 02:00:50 PM »

Let's not forget the unpopularest (intentional misspelling) of Beach Boys opinions...

"Mike Love is a genius." - Brian Wilson

alf wiedersehen
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #910 on: May 25, 2015, 02:23:14 PM »

I don't really consider Smile to be a psychedelic album.

Shocked

Now that a year and four months have passed, I still don't.
« Last Edit: May 25, 2015, 02:24:41 PM by Bubbly Waves » Logged
Douchepool
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #911 on: May 25, 2015, 04:23:26 PM »

It's not a psychedelic album at all.

SMiLE Brian
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #912 on: May 25, 2015, 04:54:28 PM »

Nobody knows what it is....

And production aside, I’d so much rather hear a 14 year old David Marks shred some guitar on Chug-a-lug than hear a 51 year old Mike Love sing about bangin some chick in a swimming pool.-rab2591
drbeachboy
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #913 on: May 25, 2015, 05:22:13 PM »

I have to agree. Now Smiley Smile, that is for sure.

The Brianista Prayer

Oh Brian
Thou Art In Hawthorne,
Harmonied Be Thy name
Your Kingdom Come,
Your Steak Well Done,
On Stage As It Is In Studio,
Give Us This Day, Our Shortenin' Bread
And Forgive Us Our Bootlegs,
As We Also Have Forgiven Our Wife And Managers,
And Lead Us Not Into Kokomo,
But Deliver Us From Mike Love.
Amen.  ---hypehat
SurferDownUnder
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #914 on: May 25, 2015, 05:29:04 PM »

I have to agree. Now Smiley Smile, that is for sure.

I concur, I'd call Smile more of a pop-rock opera, a continous themed album
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile WWW
« Reply #915 on: May 25, 2015, 05:31:31 PM »

Thanks to Mujan for the cool mix of Aquarian Smile.....

Im flattered. Glad that you enjoyed it, sir.  Smiley

And guys...IDK what to say. For me, to claim that SMiLE isnt psychedelic is like claiming Sgt Pepper (much as i dislike it) isnt psychedelic. Or Surrealistic Pillow or Axis Bold as Love. To me, SMiLE is one of the pillars, the textbook definition of psychedelic rock. In any case, LSD was the inspiration for it, no denying that.

Aquarian SMiLE>HERE

[
kookadams
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile WWW
« Reply #916 on: May 25, 2015, 10:55:12 PM »

My unpopular opinions:

yer joking rt? You telling us that smiley smile, wild honey, and sunflower are mediocre?Huh Those are not only phenomenal but there wasn't a SINGLE other artist/band that was making better music in the late 60s/early 70s; sure CCR was at their peak in 69/70 and three dog night and the shondells were great but NO ONE cranked out killer record after another like the BBs, and anyone knows that!
♩♬🐸 Billy C ♯♫♩🐇
Pissing off drunks since 1978
Global Moderator

🍦🍦 Pet Demon for Sale - $5 or best offer ☮☮

View Profile WWW
« Reply #917 on: May 25, 2015, 11:13:48 PM »

My unpopular opinions:

yer joking rt? You telling us that smiley smile, wild honey, and sunflower are mediocre?Huh Those are not only phenomenal but there wasn't a SINGLE other artist/band that was making better music in the late 60s/early 70s; sure CCR was at their peak in 69/70 and three dog night and the shondells were great but NO ONE cranked out killer record after another like the BBs, and anyone knows that!

I know it's only opinions, but I feel like we're being rickrolled., especially with  5-9.

Need your song mixed/mastered? Contact me at fear2stop@yahoo.com. Serious inquiries only, please!
Please delete my account
Smiley Smile Associate

Please delete my account

View Profile
« Reply #918 on: May 25, 2015, 11:52:10 PM »

And guys...IDK what to say. For me, to claim that SMiLE isnt psychedelic is like claiming Sgt Pepper (much as i dislike it) isnt psychedelic. Or Surrealistic Pillow or Axis Bold as Love. To me, SMiLE is one of the pillars, the textbook definition of psychedelic rock. In any case, LSD was the inspiration for it, no denying that.

I wouldn't say Sgt. Pepper is psychedelic either. Not sure about Axis, don't think I ever heard it.

It all depends on how you define it! If you define it as music inspired by drugs, especially LSD, then it's pretty clear it is. If you define it based on its similarity in sound to other music labelled "psychedelic", however, that's where people differ. I associate psychedelic music (perhaps wrongly, I wasn't there) with swirling guitars, Indian influences, and improvisation, plus a general aura of haziness and heaviness. Smile, though lyrically, conceptually and structurally far-out, is very neat and controlled in its execution, plus more obviously it's not a guitar-heavy album.
« Last Edit: May 25, 2015, 11:53:08 PM by unreleased backgrounds » Logged

Please delete my account
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile WWW
« Reply #919 on: May 26, 2015, 12:40:34 AM »

Despite containing a handful of their best ever songs Smile suffers from too many pointless snippets of old standards and ditties and endless reruns of the same musical motif to even rank in The Beach Boys top 5 albums. Also unless the songs are grouped together in the BWPS format, there is zero thematic value to the lyrics - just Van Dyke in love with his 'intellect'. So much pretentious rubbish has been said/written about what is still in essence a pop album.

I agree that the old standards are by and large pointless. IWBA and Gee add absolutely nothing. I've come to see My Only Sunshine as an oblique expression of loss of faith, but even then they probably could have made a new song to get that idea across if that was their intention. What musical motif? If you mean Bicycle Rider, thats only 2 songs and I doubt H&V and Worms both would have had that on a finished album. That was just a desperate attempt to make the single more commercial by adding a chorus. There's other, better ways to arrange the tracks in a meaningful way than how it was done in BWPS. I disagree 100% about the lyrics and take great offense to that last sentence. I know the point is unpopular opinions but...just sayin' Cool Guy

Aquarian SMiLE>HERE

[
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile WWW
« Reply #920 on: May 26, 2015, 01:20:04 AM »

I wouldn't say Sgt. Pepper is psychedelic either. Not sure about Axis, don't think I ever heard it.

It all depends on how you define it! If you define it as music inspired by drugs, especially LSD, then it's pretty clear it is. If you define it based on its similarity in sound to other music labelled "psychedelic", however, that's where people differ. I associate psychedelic music (perhaps wrongly, I wasn't there) with swirling guitars, Indian influences, and improvisation, plus a general aura of haziness and heaviness. Smile, though lyrically, conceptually and structurally far-out, is very neat and controlled in its execution, plus more obviously it's not a guitar-heavy album.

Really? I mean...as much I may think it's overrated and lackluster, it IS the album that's crediting with heralding in the Summer of Love. It gave us Lucy in the Sky which is synonymous with acid, and Mr Kite which is debatably the most out-there Beatles song (along with Tomorrow Never Knows and I am the Walrus). Psychedelic Rock is a broad term that encompasses a lot of albums. On one side of the spectrum you have the freeform freakouts like Cottonwoodhill, Just a Poke and In the Court of the Crimson King. On the other you have the albums with songs that are standard length but speak of psychedelic themes and/or have their production tricks like Younger Than Yesterday, Pepper and Satanic Majesties. Then there's things like Piper at the Gates of Dawn, After Bathing at Baxters and The United States of America which have elements of each. Somewhere in between you have We're Only In It For The Money, and SMiLE. These are  the unclassifiable mosaics of music, all little ditties and production tricks stitched together in such a way that it resembles a schizophrenic train of thought...or perhaps, a psychedelic mindfuck? Anyway, they're ALL psychedelic rock, just in different "flavors." But just because there's no guitar or indian influences shouldnt discount an album from being classified as such. Ive said many times that The United States of America is probably the most far-out album ever made. There's no way you could say it's anything BUT psychedelic and yet theres no guitar or sitar to be heard on that LP.

Aquarian SMiLE>HERE

[
Please delete my account
Smiley Smile Associate

Please delete my account

View Profile
« Reply #921 on: May 26, 2015, 01:52:10 AM »

As I said, it depends how you define it. Lots of people would accept and agree with your definition. I wouldn't write in and complain if someone described any record from the sixties onwards as psychedelic, even if it didn't feel that way to me.

I agree that (one of my favourites) the United States of America is psychedelia. And though I didn't mean to imply that "Indian influence" was an essential factor, I do in fact hear Indian influence on "The Garden of Earthly Delights"

Please delete my account
Loaf
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #922 on: May 26, 2015, 02:37:03 AM »

I used to be a big Mike Love-hater, but now i'm the opposite, and I hold these unpopular (based on the high levels of hate Mike receives) opinions:

Mike Love saved The Beach Boys.

By extention, he saved Brian's life.

Mike kept the cash flowing, in huge amounts, which allowed Brian to lead the life he has, including costly care bills.

People should be damn grateful for Mike's drive, ambition and work ethic if they have any appreciation for Brian.

Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile WWW
« Reply #923 on: May 26, 2015, 03:28:39 AM »

Can't Wait Too Long/Been Way Too Long is not about a woman but about SMiLE.  Same goes for Still I Dream of It and It's Over Now. Smiley

That's actually a really interesting theory. Maybe on some subconscious level I could see that being true about CWTL. Even the spoken word part by Brian on the session tapes could apply to the SMiLE sessions.

Aquarian SMiLE>HERE

[
Nicko1234
« Reply #924 on: May 26, 2015, 03:47:45 AM »

Brand New Old Friends is one of the best songs any of the group members worked on after Holland...

gfx
Pages: 1 ... 32 33 34 35 36 [37] 38 39 40 41 42 ... 65 Go Up Print 
gfx
Jump to:  
gfx