gfxgfx

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
logo

gfx gfx
gfx
680600 Posts in 27601 Topics by 4068 Members - Latest Member: Dae Lims March 29, 2024, 05:10:32 AM
gfx*HomeHelpSearchCalendarLoginRegistergfx
gfxgfx
Pages: 1 ... 25 26 27 28 29 [30] 31 32 33 34 35 ... 65 Go Down Print
Author Topic: Unpopular Beach Boys opinions  (Read 348216 times)
bluesno1fann
« Reply #725 on: January 25, 2014, 03:11:13 PM »

Here's one that I found out recently is an unpopular opinion:

I believe that the best tracks off Still Cruisin' hands down is the title track and Make It Big!
zachrwolfe
« Reply #726 on: January 25, 2014, 08:56:24 PM »

« Last Edit: December 20, 2018, 08:28:12 PM by zatch » Logged
bluesno1fann
« Reply #727 on: January 25, 2014, 09:07:00 PM »

I believe that the best tracks off Still Cruisin' hands down is the title track and Make It Big!

It's one of the cheesiest songs ever and I know I'm really not supposed to like it, but...I really agree with you on Make It Big. Melodically, I think it's really good.

Lyrically it's not the best, but lyrics aren't too important for me. The music itself rules!
wantsomecorn
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #728 on: January 25, 2014, 09:58:49 PM »

I like Jeff's vocal on "Why Do Fools Fall in Love" more than Brian's.

On our way through this "backstage" maze, Bruce joined up with the group and said hello, singing "It Never Rains in Southern California" and joking with some of the older ladies. I'm not sure if they knew he was a Beach Boy or simply an enthusiastic elderly gay gentleman.
Myk Luhv
Smiley Smile Associate

"...and I said, 'Oatmeal? Are you crazy?!'"

View Profile
« Reply #729 on: January 26, 2014, 07:53:27 AM »

I'm not sure quite how unpopular an opinion this will be but I think The Beach Boys should have released more non-album singles and EPs. I suppose this was more of a British thing at the time (and probably still is) but I think it's a smart idea. I think with non-album singles and EPs, you're provided a bit more freedom to experiment with styles and sounds, and it wouldn't come at the cost of possibly having an entire album sell poorly. Perhaps if The Beach Boys had went this route more, they could have worked something out amongst each other to release more Wilson brothers, particularly Dennis, songs later on? Or you would see many more releases like Mt. Vernon and Fairway from Brian during a period when his creativity was in question (but is documented as being rather productive even if mostly unreleased and in the vaults).
Micha
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile WWW
« Reply #730 on: January 27, 2014, 01:47:22 AM »

It's possible it's going over my head but thematically the whole journey across America thing never clicked with me either.  Maybe this is part is one of the results of it being unfinished?  Maybe it's scatterbrained?  I could be missing something from the "finished" album that Brian presented in 2004, but I could never bring myself to really listen to this in it's entirely (another unpopular opinion here maybe?)

I think it's the best music Brian's composed, but at the very least an ambiguous work in terms of structure/ideas

Yeah, the album as a whole suffers from inconsistent conception. Actually that's why it never even became an album as a whole. Maybe they should have stuck with the title "Dumb Angel".

Another unpopular opinion of mine: While I agree that "Prayer" is a fantastic majestic track, it's a terrible opener for an album called "SMiLE", especially with that funny album cover with the drawing of a SMiLE store.

There's a lot of quality material you'd have to lop off if you went by that. Smile isn't such a simple album/set of material.

I told you this was an unpopular opinion of mine! Smiley

Where did I say Smile was "a simple album/set of material"? I said "Prayer" was not the right opener for that album cover. "You're Welcome" would work better at that spot. Or just H&V right away.

Ceterum censeo SMiLEBrianum OSDumque esse excludendos banno.
CenturyDeprived
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #731 on: January 27, 2014, 02:28:54 AM »

I loooove "Make It Big".

Damn those who think it's too cheesy, I honestly find it inspirational (albeit with some awkward moments like the Johnny B. Goode lyric), but Carl's vocal saves it and takes it to another level.  Not to mention Brian and Mike's vocal interplay on the tag is a seriously great moment - no foolin'.
« Last Edit: January 27, 2014, 02:30:26 AM by CenturyDeprived » Logged
RangeRoverA1
Smiley Smile Associate

I drink expired tea. wanna sip or spit?

View Profile
« Reply #732 on: January 27, 2014, 02:54:49 AM »

Not to mention Brian and Mike's vocal interplay on the tag is a seriously great moment - no foolin'.
I've been saying exactly the same thing in various topics; that tag is one of the unforgettable moments in the whole BBs canon. Most notably Brian's achingly beautiful wailing.

Short notice: the cat you see to the left is the best. Not counting your indoor cat who might have habit sitting at your left side when you post at SmileySmile.

Who is Lucille Ball & Vivian Vance Duet Fan Club CEO? Btw, such Club exists?

Zany zealous Zeddie eats broccoli at brunch break but doesn't do's & don't's due to duties.
Micha
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile WWW
« Reply #733 on: January 27, 2014, 03:04:25 AM »

The synth sound however is quite forgettable... Roll Eyes

CenturyDeprived
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #734 on: January 27, 2014, 03:08:05 AM »

Not to mention Brian and Mike's vocal interplay on the tag is a seriously great moment - no foolin'.
I've been saying exactly the same thing in various topics; that tag is one of the unforgettable moments in the whole BBs canon. Most notably Brian's achingly beautiful wailing.

+1
bluesno1fann
« Reply #735 on: January 27, 2014, 03:09:55 AM »

Glad to see there's people around here who love Make It Big as much as I do!

I was quite shocked to see a lot of negative reviews for that song around here.

And I love the synth on this BTW!
bluesno1fann
« Reply #736 on: January 28, 2014, 03:24:49 PM »

Don't really like the Little Deuce Coupe album. It's their weakest early album along with Party!, hands down  Bow

I'm not the Baby Blue fanatic that a lot of people are, give me Love Surrounds Me over Baby Blue anyday!
I'm also not the Where I Belong fanatic that a lot of people are. It's a brilliant song, but there are a few others I prefer from the 85 album.
Mike's Beard
Smiley Smile Associate

Check your privilege. Love & Mercy guys!

View Profile
« Reply #737 on: January 28, 2014, 10:17:13 PM »

Despite containing a handful of their best ever songs Smile suffers from too many pointless snippets of old standards and ditties and endless reruns of the same musical motif to even rank in The Beach Boys top 5 albums. Also unless the songs are grouped together in the BWPS format, there is zero thematic value to the lyrics - just Van Dyke in love with his 'intellect'. So much pretentious rubbish has been said/written about what is still in essence a pop album.

I'd rather be forced to sleep with Caitlyn Jenner then ever have to listen to NPP again.
phirnis
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #738 on: January 28, 2014, 10:42:41 PM »

I like the song Island Fever, can't help it.

Some of Brian's solo stuff hasn't aged well, to me it sounds a bit like "Brian the Musical" (except for BW88, which is a good pop album in its own right despite its flaws).

I think 20/20 is one of the most compellingly strange records in all of pop and it should be regarded a classic.
Micha
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile WWW
« Reply #739 on: January 29, 2014, 12:45:17 AM »

Despite containing a handful of their best ever songs Smile suffers from too many pointless snippets of old standards and ditties and endless reruns of the same musical motif to even rank in The Beach Boys top 5 albums.

As SMiLE hasn't been finished in its day, we don't know how much of that would have made it to the final version. Look at GV, most of the recordings were left unused! Smiley Still I think I would prefer Today! and Pet Sounds over SMiLE had it been finished.

Also unless the songs are grouped together in the BWPS format, there is zero thematic value to the lyrics - just Van Dyke in love with his 'intellect'.

While CIFOTM works great in the suite, it's a bit meager as a song of its own.

Myk Luhv
Smiley Smile Associate

"...and I said, 'Oatmeal? Are you crazy?!'"

View Profile
« Reply #740 on: January 29, 2014, 04:25:13 PM »

I think Brian Wilson has been and is more than capable of being a good lyricist. I actually think this aspect of his songwriting gets unfairly overlooked sometimes! He probably could not do Van Dyke Parks's complex, densely poetic lyrics... but that's fine since I don't think that's his inclination anyway. (And if you can, my man, I'm sorry to assume otherwise!) He's more than capable of matching any of his other collaborators, however, and I think he has a very good idea of how to express everyday sentiments in ways that are off-kilter and a little weird but not jarringly unfamiliar. I think that is some of why he gets compared to those considered to be a part of the "Great American Songbook": He takes seriously the ubiquitous and commonplace yet unlike, say, Porter or the Gershwins (and closer to Foster), Brian Wilson did not make poetic his feelings or observations -- they're very folk, in the sense of being unrefined. (Naturally, this dovetails very nicely with the musical emphasis on rock'n'roll, and is given an interesting twist with the glaringly sophisticated vocal arrangements.) This is why I think Brian Wilson is heralded, quite rightly, as a brilliant pop songwriter.
Freddie French-Pounce
Smiley Smile Associate

A.K.A. mrmoustachioto

View Profile
« Reply #741 on: January 29, 2014, 04:59:05 PM »

I've said it once, I've said it 100 times

I hate Surfer Girl

Check out the Mono/Stereo Mix Breakdown podcast Mixology here: https://mixology.podbean.com/
CenturyDeprived
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #742 on: January 29, 2014, 05:13:54 PM »

I think Brian Wilson has been and is more than capable of being a good lyricist. I actually think this aspect of his songwriting gets unfairly overlooked sometimes! He probably could not do Van Dyke Parks's complex, densely poetic lyrics... but that's fine since I don't think that's his inclination anyway. (And if you can, my man, I'm sorry to assume otherwise!) He's more than capable of matching any of his other collaborators, however, and I think he has a very good idea of how to express everyday sentiments in ways that are off-kilter and a little weird but not jarringly unfamiliar. I think that is some of why he gets compared to those considered to be a part of the "Great American Songbook": He takes seriously the ubiquitous and commonplace yet unlike, say, Porter or the Gershwins (and closer to Foster), Brian Wilson did not make poetic his feelings or observations -- they're very folk, in the sense of being unrefined. (Naturally, this dovetails very nicely with the musical emphasis on rock'n'roll, and is given an interesting twist with the glaringly sophisticated vocal arrangements.) This is why I think Brian Wilson is heralded, quite rightly, as a brilliant pop songwriter.

I happen to like a good deal of Brian’s lyrics, though he’s had his share of really bad ones too. I agree that this aspect gets often overlooked.

I recently came across this article (linking childhood abuse and a later decline in vocabulary) and couldn’t help wondering if both Brian (and Dennis)’s abuse at the hands of Murry could have helped deflate both their confidence and competence as lyricists.

http://articles.latimes.com/2013/oct/21/science/la-sci-sn-spanking-study-20131021

Obviously as we have witnessed for years, Brian’s ability to create has largely hinged on his self-confidence level (or lack thereof). It stands to reason, IMO, that if he’d been encouraged more or had more confidence in his writing abilities, that he’d have written more lyrics himself. That being said, most of both Brian’s and Dennis’ collaborators often brought interesting outside angles to their songs.

One question I've never really considered, is: in the early (pre Pet Sounds days), what did Brian's bandmates think of Brian's own lyrics? Did they encourage/discourage him from writing the band's lyrics?

« Last Edit: January 29, 2014, 05:16:01 PM by CenturyDeprived » Logged
retrokid67
Smiley Smile Associate

Denny the Dream

View Profile
« Reply #743 on: January 30, 2014, 02:16:15 PM »

I hate to say it but I don't like Carl's "oh oh oh's" when they sing Forever live  Undecided ( I like Brian's way better)

"In this new day, change your heart.  Forgive your brother, for life is precious."

-Dennis Wilson
bluesno1fann
« Reply #744 on: January 30, 2014, 08:16:09 PM »

This might be an unpopular opinion due to the all the love for Love You and to an extent TWGMTR, but give me CATP and Holland over every single album they made after Chaplin/Fataar left!
zachrwolfe
« Reply #745 on: January 30, 2014, 09:35:34 PM »

« Last Edit: December 20, 2018, 08:27:22 PM by zatch » Logged
G.C
« Reply #746 on: January 31, 2014, 01:28:06 PM »

Brian Wilson is fat.
Alan Smith
Smiley Smile Associate

I'm still here bitches and I know everything. –A

View Profile
« Reply #747 on: January 31, 2014, 02:14:39 PM »

I've said it once, I've said it 100 times

I hate Surfer Girl

Shocked Shocked Shocked
Are you sure that's not just a side effect of your Noodles and Lemonade lifestyle?

ESQ - Subscribe Now!!!

A new Beach Boys forum is here! http://beachboys.boards.net/
Gertie J.
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #748 on: January 31, 2014, 04:26:47 PM »

Brian Wilson is fat.

nah his pudgy

dj, blogger, and hanger-on
Sheriff John Stone
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #749 on: January 31, 2014, 06:05:13 PM »

I wish "The Trader" didn't start with Carl's son, Jonah, saying, "Hi". The song is in Carl's Top 5 best, it's an artistic effort, the "Hi" does not fit in any way with the mood of the song.
gfx
Pages: 1 ... 25 26 27 28 29 [30] 31 32 33 34 35 ... 65 Go Up Print 
gfx
Jump to:  
gfx