gfxgfx

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
logo

gfx gfx
gfx
680713 Posts in 27613 Topics by 4068 Members - Latest Member: Dae Lims April 16, 2024, 04:45:44 AM
gfx*HomeHelpSearchCalendarLoginRegistergfx
gfxgfx
Pages: 1 ... 22 23 24 25 26 [27] 28 29 30 31 32 ... 65 Go Down Print
Author Topic: Unpopular Beach Boys opinions  (Read 349680 times)
Ebb and Flow
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile WWW
« Reply #650 on: January 15, 2014, 07:53:11 PM »

Has a vocal-only of Barbara Ann ever been released (officially or unofficially)?

Due to the way the Party! album was recorded, (live to two(?) tracks, plus an additional "party" overdub) It's not really possible.
Moon Dawg
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #651 on: January 15, 2014, 08:07:53 PM »

I sort of like "When Girls Get Together." Evocative of a weird summer day in the park where everyone is moving in slow motion, with an ice cream truck in the vicinity.

"Wouldn't It Be Nice" has worn on me just a bit these last few years.

« Last Edit: February 09, 2014, 08:42:21 AM by Moon Dawg » Logged
bluesno1fann
« Reply #652 on: January 15, 2014, 08:12:24 PM »

I sort of like "When Girls Get Together."

"Wouldn't It Be Nice" has worn on me just a bit these last few years.

Agree with the bottom comment
Disagree with the top comment
Jukka
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #653 on: January 16, 2014, 01:02:51 AM »

I sort of like "When Girls Get Together." Evocative of a weird summer day in the park where everyone is stoned and moving in slow motion, with an ice cream truck in the vicinity. 

Exactly my thoughts! Very well put... It paints a scenery that is somehow bot inviting and disturbing at the same time. A very psychedelic song, I'd say.

"Surfing and cars were okay but there was a war going on."
job
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #654 on: January 16, 2014, 08:54:51 AM »

1.  R & B were awesome.  I wish they had stayed.  They gave the band's sound a great new dynamic.

2.  I actually love the live version of SIP on MIC.  The drumming and guitar are so much fun.
« Last Edit: January 16, 2014, 08:56:24 AM by job » Logged
pixletwin
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #655 on: January 16, 2014, 09:20:13 AM »

I absolutely lovely When Girls Get Together. To me it's a got a touching sort of "circle of life" sentiment that I find very appealing.
Summer_Days
Smiley Smile Associate

...and your dream comes true.

View Profile WWW
« Reply #656 on: January 16, 2014, 11:57:28 AM »

I love the early hits, but one thing I don't get is why everybody had to only hear the biggest hits and that's it. Seems like the Beach Boys went the way as in a lot of pre-1963 groups, even though they had a full career, releasing an album a year until 1973, then re-continuing again in 1976 until 1980. I know, Endless Summer, ignorant fans, marketing/record company pigeonholing them. I just think it's kinda sad really..

Even to this day they are pigeonholed. Just look at "Made In California". The cover and presentation is so stereotypical "fun in the sun at the beach" style, it's pretty tacky to be honest. The inside stuff is awesome, just talking about the cover and the main look of the whole thing from the outside.

I guess we should be grateful that the Beach Boys are well respected at all these days compared to the 70s, and that we get boxed sets like MIC.. I can't complain!

Here's a somewhat unpopular opinion of mine: I actually like the whole sun/beach/SoCal identity of the Beach Boys. There are times when it's played a little too much, like on the rather silly KTSA album cover or some of the uglier, dated Hawaiian shirts the boys have worn before, but by and large, as a graphic design student who loves to play around in Photoshop and such, designing my own BBs album covers and t-shirts just for fun, I've come to appreciate that aspect of the band. They're guys from the South Shore of L.A., the 1950s and '60s. It's a big part of who they are. I love the fun in the sun covers to Surfin' Safari, Surfer Girl and All Summer Long. I don't like the band has been pigeonholed (or has pigeonholed themselves) so often with this as old men, but that doesn't stop my love for the early "fun in the sun" days and all that comes with it.

Wouldn't it be nice if we were older, then we wouldn't have to wait so long
And wouldn't it be nice to live together, in the kind of world where we belong?
http://wildsmiley.weebly.com
Sam_BFC
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #657 on: January 16, 2014, 12:01:04 PM »

I don't reckon that opinion would be too unpopular  Smiley

"..be cautious, don't get your hopes up, look over your shoulder because heartbreak and darkness are always ready to pounce"

petsoundsnola
Shady
Smiley Smile Associate

I had to fix a lot of things this morning

View Profile
« Reply #658 on: January 16, 2014, 03:11:24 PM »

Sumahama is a beautiful song

According to someone who would know.

Seriously, there was a Beach Boys Love You condom?!  Amazing.
Sheriff John Stone
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #659 on: January 16, 2014, 03:18:41 PM »

Performed, well, lip-synched, on American Bandstand!!!! Shocked
bluesno1fann
« Reply #660 on: January 16, 2014, 03:20:28 PM »

You're right about putting that opinion here  LOL
bluesno1fann
« Reply #661 on: January 16, 2014, 03:22:01 PM »

A few pages back, I wrote that All I Want To Do is better than Lonely Sea, Surfer Girl, and In My Room.

I have seen the error of my ways.

Those three songs are much better than All I Want To Do in every way. They're Brian's first masterpieces!

But I'd still take All I Want To Do over a vast majority of the early songs
Eric Aniversario
Smiley Smile Associate

Keep the Summer Alive!

View Profile WWW
« Reply #662 on: January 16, 2014, 04:49:41 PM »

I think that there definitely should have been a Still Cruisin / Summer in Paradise two-fer reissue.
Shady
Smiley Smile Associate

I had to fix a lot of things this morning

View Profile
« Reply #663 on: January 16, 2014, 06:27:54 PM »

You're right about putting that opinion here  LOL

I don't get it, the "Tell me tell me mama will you go with me back to Sumahama" part is irresistible.

It sucks how people hate it, their loss.
« Last Edit: January 16, 2014, 06:31:11 PM by Shady Knows Me Too Well » Logged

According to someone who would know.

Seriously, there was a Beach Boys Love You condom?!  Amazing.
pixletwin
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #664 on: January 16, 2014, 06:29:13 PM »

Sumahama is one of the songs I despised when I first heard it, but has slowly won me over.
bluesno1fann
« Reply #665 on: January 16, 2014, 06:44:21 PM »

I don't get it, the "Tell me tell me mama will you go with me back to Sumahama" part is irresistible.

The music's unlistenable, Mike's at his most nasal and obnoxious, the production sucks, and don't get me started on the Japanese section!
pixletwin
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #666 on: January 16, 2014, 07:02:16 PM »

The music's unlistenable, Mike's at his most nasal and obnoxious, the production sucks, and don't get me started on the Japanese section!

Yes please. I would like to get you started on the Japanese section.
bluesno1fann
« Reply #667 on: January 16, 2014, 07:04:51 PM »

For one, I showed it to my mum, who is Japanese. She found his Japanese to be hard to understand, and found it laughable.

And I agree, it is pretty embarrassing, I don't know what he was thinking when he added that section.
That, as well as all the other points above, is why I consider Sumahama to be the worst non-SIP BB's song
CenturyDeprived
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #668 on: January 16, 2014, 10:52:02 PM »

For one, I showed it to my mum, who is Japanese. She found his Japanese to be hard to understand, and found it laughable.

And I agree, it is pretty embarrassing, I don't know what he was thinking when he added that section.
That, as well as all the other points above, is why I consider Sumahama to be the worst non-SIP BB's song

New idea from this thread: I must play my Asian friends Sumahama just to see their reactions. Not sure if they would feel offended? Or just neutral about it? Hard to say. I'm sure the song was conceived just as a pleasant ode to that part of the world, but it might come across a bit differently than its author's intention, methinks.
« Last Edit: January 16, 2014, 10:55:36 PM by CenturyDeprived » Logged
bluesno1fann
« Reply #669 on: January 16, 2014, 11:07:47 PM »

New idea from this thread: I must play my Asian friends Sumahama just to see their reactions. Not sure if they would feel offended? Or just neutral about it? Hard to say. I'm sure the song was conceived just as a pleasant ode to that part of the world, but it might come across a bit differently than its author's intention, methinks.

I doubt if your non-Japanese friends would care. If they are Japanese, and If they are offended, it would probably be because of how awful it is. But I doubt if they'd get offended
The Heartical Don
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #670 on: January 17, 2014, 01:33:54 AM »

I like 'Kokomo' a lot.

It's often unfairly dismissed (the movie? It being from around SIP period? Mike's vocals? wouldn't know).

It is a classic BBs melody, with that seductive 'step up' in the chords, in its chorus. Very Brian-ish.

And Carl's vocals are so great.

The 'Kokomo' revival starts here, folks.

80% Of Success Is Showing Up
Micha
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile WWW
« Reply #671 on: January 17, 2014, 02:25:49 AM »

You're right about putting that opinion here  LOL

I really like the orchestral intro though.

Ceterum censeo SMiLEBrianum OSDumque esse excludendos banno.
Micha
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile WWW
« Reply #672 on: January 17, 2014, 02:28:16 AM »

The same goes for the German of "Ganz allein", by the way.

Ceterum censeo SMiLEBrianum OSDumque esse excludendos banno.
Jukka
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #673 on: January 17, 2014, 02:41:43 AM »

The same goes for the German of "Ganz allein", by the way.

Funny, I don't really speak German, but I understand it well enough (reading/listening), and I've always found "Ganz Allein" pretty easy to understand, maybe even easier than native speaker's German. How do you rate the translation, does it capture the mood and feeling of the original? I've always thought "ganz allein" works way better than for example "in meinem Raum".

"Surfing and cars were okay but there was a war going on."
pixletwin
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #674 on: January 17, 2014, 05:09:03 AM »

I can't imagine anyone being offended (or surprised for that matter) that Mike Love speaks terrible Japanese.  LOL
gfx
Pages: 1 ... 22 23 24 25 26 [27] 28 29 30 31 32 ... 65 Go Up Print 
gfx
Jump to:  
gfx