gfxgfx

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
logo

gfx gfx
gfx
680599 Posts in 27601 Topics by 4068 Members - Latest Member: Dae Lims March 29, 2024, 01:25:40 AM
gfx*HomeHelpSearchCalendarLoginRegistergfx
gfxgfx
Pages: 1 ... 19 20 21 22 23 [24] 25 26 27 28 29 ... 65 Go Down Print
Author Topic: Unpopular Beach Boys opinions  (Read 348203 times)
retrokid67
Smiley Smile Associate

Denny the Dream

View Profile
« Reply #575 on: January 08, 2014, 12:38:04 AM »

I'm really not interested in discussing All I Want To Do.

But if you insist, All Summer Long, California Girls, Surfin' Safari, I Get Around, Dance Dance Dance, Good To My Baby, to name a few, are all more danceable than All I Want To Do.

I like songs you can dance to, too. That's not the mark of a great song. Can you dance to Blowin' In the Wind or Imagine?

LOL that's the first thing you said that I actually agree with except in the case of All I Want To Do I bob my head up and down and I'm not a huge fan of California Girls in general and with Imagine I sway from side to side  Cheesy.  And at least this time you didn't insult the songwriter

"In this new day, change your heart.  Forgive your brother, for life is precious."

-Dennis Wilson
Gabo
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #576 on: January 08, 2014, 12:45:12 AM »

But if you insist, All Summer Long, California Girls, Surfin' Safari, I Get Around, Dance Dance Dance, Good To My Baby, to name a few, are all more danceable than All I Want To Do.

I like songs you can dance to, too. That's not the mark of a great song. Can you dance to Blowin' In the Wind or Imagine?

True.
But Surfin' Safari, I Get Around, and Dance Dance Dance have all not aged too well.
The music has to stand the test of time to be classic.
Also, I guess while it once again comes down to people's taste, I still find All I Want To Do to me easier to dance to and easier to enjoy, especially the rockin' live version on MIC!

If you care about "aging" why are you listening to a 60s band? IMO the historical context of those tracks -- the early 60s -- justifies the lyrics.

I don't even think Pet Sounds has aged well. Its lyrics frankly are teenybopper, and the arrangements sound more old Hollywood or Spector than psychedelic. Associating Pet Sounds with psychedelia is IMO a retroactive assessment. It may have paved the way for more psychedelic and experimental records, but it is really just a more competent Today! The Beatles' Revolver and Sgt. Pepper are far more innovative records than Pet Sounds.

I don't mind any of this, because I don't really listen to "rock" music.  I'm not interested in hearing guitar solos or throaty singing. I just want to hear pretty melodies with some nice lyrics for good measure. 

« Last Edit: January 08, 2014, 12:51:31 AM by Gabo » Logged
bluesno1fann
« Reply #577 on: January 08, 2014, 12:58:30 AM »

True.
But Surfin' Safari, I Get Around, and Dance Dance Dance have all not aged too well.
Also, I guess while it once again comes down to people's taste, I still find All I Want To Do to me easier to dance to and easier to enjoy, especially the rockin' live version on MIC!

If you care about "aging" why are you listening to a 60s band? IMO the historical context of those tracks -- the early 60s -- justifies the lyrics.

I don't even think Pet Sounds has aged well. Its lyrics frankly are teenybopper, and the arrangements sound more old Hollywood or Spector than psychedelic. Associating Pet Sounds with psychedelia is IMO a retroactive assessment. It may have paved the way for more psychedelic and experimental records, but it is really just a more competent Today! The Beatles' Revolver and Sgt. Pepper are far more innovative records than Pet Sounds.

I don't mind any of this, because I don't really listen to "rock" music.  I'm not interested in hearing guitar solos or throaty singing. I just want to hear pretty melodies with some nice lyrics for good measure. 

Because I happen to love 60's music. But a lot of people wouldn't feel the same way.
And once again, it depends on the person's tastes
Summer_Days
Smiley Smile Associate

...and your dream comes true.

View Profile WWW
« Reply #578 on: January 08, 2014, 09:58:51 AM »

I think there's more to Pet Sounds than that. The melodies, the tonal quality, the chord progressions and harmonies are far beyond what most if not all other bands of the time were doing, even the Beatles. And if the lyrics to those songs are teenybopper, they still hold up better than psychedelic lyrics of the time. Even though Revolver saw the Beatles evolve greatly, musically, I still think the album isn't, for the most part, as timeless as the songs on Pet Sounds. That's even more true with the silly psychedelic musical hall stuff on Sgt. Pepper. Whereas on Pet Sounds you have songs that talk about the impermanence of love, the loss of innocence and the feeling of not being made for these times (things that a majority of people can totally understand), on Sgt. Pepper, you have songs about Henry the horse dancing a waltz, a guy who's going nuts over a meter maid and newspaper taxis appearing on the shore. I love Sgt. Pepper, but still...give me beautiful, heartfelt love songs like 'Wouldn't It Be Nice' and 'God Only Knows' any day.

Same here. But Tony Asher's lyrics, while not exactly poetry, are perfect for what Brian was writing.

Wouldn't it be nice if we were older, then we wouldn't have to wait so long
And wouldn't it be nice to live together, in the kind of world where we belong?
http://wildsmiley.weebly.com
Mr. Wilson
Smiley Smile Associate

Surfs up around these parts.!

View Profile
« Reply #579 on: January 08, 2014, 10:30:36 AM »

Well coming from the perspective of living in the 60"s as a teenager PET SOUNDS would never be compared to psychedelic or witch craft music 2 terms that are now sitting on this board in different threads..  I never fully got the term unless your talking about LSD + music ..If that is the case BB don't fit.. Grateful Dead Jams  Iron Butterfly  Quicksilver Messenger service  jams  Vanilla fudge  Early Hendrix   Early Doors + Love. etc etc what we now call JAM bands back then were called psychedelic bands.. Even early Moody Blues lp's were called that because they took you on a TRIP.. But they don't really qualify unless you think Days of Future Passed is that. LOL  Pet Sounds may not have hit the public hard but it sure hit musicians hard.. Still to this day + Smile also.. PS was a logical expansion + progression of everything they had recorded before.. The lyrics are more adult but psychedelic NO.. Heck early Pink Floyd was called psychedelic.. That term should be retired..IMHO
« Last Edit: January 08, 2014, 10:31:52 AM by Mr. Wilson » Logged
CenturyDeprived
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #580 on: January 08, 2014, 11:24:01 AM »

Well coming from the perspective of living in the 60"s as a teenager PET SOUNDS would never be compared to psychedelic or witch craft music 2 terms that are now sitting on this board in different threads..  I never fully got the term unless your talking about LSD + music ..If that is the case BB don't fit.. Grateful Dead Jams  Iron Butterfly  Quicksilver Messenger service  jams  Vanilla fudge  Early Hendrix   Early Doors + Love. etc etc what we now call JAM bands back then were called psychedelic bands.. Even early Moody Blues lp's were called that because they took you on a TRIP.. But they don't really qualify unless you think Days of Future Passed is that. LOL  Pet Sounds may not have hit the public hard but it sure hit musicians hard.. Still to this day + Smile also.. PS was a logical expansion + progression of everything they had recorded before.. The lyrics are more adult but psychedelic NO.. Heck early Pink Floyd was called psychedelic.. That term should be retired..IMHO

SMiLE, had it come out in '67 as intended, would most certainly have been known as THE textbook definition of a summer of love psychedelic album, IMO. I don't think many people would dispute this (so this is actually probably a popular BB opinion).
Smilin Ed H
« Reply #581 on: January 08, 2014, 11:32:21 AM »

True.

I don't mind any of this, because I don't really listen to "rock" music.  I'm not interested in hearing guitar solos or throaty singing. I just want to hear pretty melodies with some nice lyrics for good measure.  

Jesus H.
Rotat
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #582 on: January 08, 2014, 12:18:41 PM »

I know this is the relevant thread for statements like this but.. I personally think this is ridiculous.

First of all, there's nothing innovative about Revolver or Sgt Pepper to me at all. Except maybe a few songs like Tomorrow Never Knows or A Day In The Life or something. Most of the songs are over-embellished pop songs. At least Pet Sounds has a unique sound that I've never really heard on any other album. There are other albums similar to it, but Pet Sounds has its own unique flavor.

Sgt Pepper doesn't even sound all that psychedelic to me either. maybe I listened to a lot of psych records, but to me it sounds like an overproduced pop record more than anything to me. There's so many silly songs that I don't get why it was embraced so much at the time. Smiley Smile blows Sgt Pepper away as far as psychedelic strange music goes.

And teenybopper lyrics? I don't understand the logic to that at all. The lyrics are very thoughtful, and speak of real life feelings and experiences. You don't have to be a teenager to appreciate lyrics like "That's Not Me" or "I Just Wasn't Made For These Times". They might be feelings you mainly get when you're younger, but they're universal messages and they are great overall insights on human emotions and development. It can be appreciated even if you're 40.

Pet Sounds isn't dated to me because like I said, it's a unique sounding album with it's own type of flavor. Yes its cemented in the 60s and has that sort of sound but if you're gonna talk dated, that's not an appropriate word for dated as far as 1966 goes. You want dated, listen to "The Ballad Of Green Berets" or "They're Going To Take Me Away ha Ha" or any other random hit at the time.

I know you said you didn't mind the criticisms you had and still enjoy the music, but I just don't think your statements make any sense. Just my opinion though, we all have different views of things.
Mr. Wilson
Smiley Smile Associate

Surfs up around these parts.!

View Profile
« Reply #583 on: January 08, 2014, 01:21:23 PM »

Well I certainly see your point about SMILE to a certain extent  being psychedelic  and im sure it would have been lumped into the fad .. But there would have come a time later like in the Moody Blues case that being psychedelic was not the genre..  But I get what you are saying.. Wink
alf wiedersehen
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #584 on: January 08, 2014, 01:23:42 PM »

I don't really consider Smile to be a psychedelic album.
Rotat
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #585 on: January 08, 2014, 01:33:02 PM »

I don't know if I consider Smile to be exactly "psychedelic" but what constitutes psychedelic music anyway? There's so many different types of psychedelia.. not everything that is psychedelic is like Piper At The Gates Of Dawn.
CenturyDeprived
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #586 on: January 08, 2014, 01:37:22 PM »

I don't really consider Smile to be a psychedelic album.

I respectfully disagree, particularly since we have vintage '66 promo items like the BW-directed (or so I think?) promo video of the band at the fire station, with the VERY psychedelic type of swirly imagery, and songs like Fire, etc... I think that shows a conscious effort towards a trippy/psychedelic vibe that BW was aiming for at least on some of the songs, but IMO had SMiLE been released in its time, the entire project would have been seen as one of the great psychedelic (or proto-psych) albums (not too dissimilar from how Smiley Smile is generally viewed in hindsight).

And, for the record, IMO what constitutes psychedelic music would be intentionally weird/spooky vibes/vocals/instrumentation (Fire, super creepy laughing/animal grunts, etc), bizarro subject matter (eating a candy bar wrapper, just for starters), and a prevalence of associated promo imagery (like from the '66 music video) that was then and remains now inextricably linked with the psychedelic movement. Plus, a hallmark of most psychedelic records is that they sound especially good when the listener is stoned. I think the album was very consciously and specifically made by its writers to be an album that sounds really good when the listener is stoned. And, from what I hear (cough, cough), it does.
« Last Edit: January 08, 2014, 01:45:40 PM by CenturyDeprived » Logged
donald
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #587 on: January 08, 2014, 01:49:22 PM »

Not sure I want to enter into the fray but I have a few comments.

Having lived thru the 60's as a teen, I loved the Beachboys for their sonic quality and as a pop culture powerhouse of a band.  As we began to experiment with the more psychedelic culture, we (my peers)were listening to Moody Blues Threshold and Children's Children, Beatles later material, Jeffeson Airplane, Some Hendrix, Love, Doors, Byrds, and some other LA bands.  To me, at the time, Pet Sounds  seemed like an album of really great and ambitious  singles and better than average "filler material".  We didn't listen to the Beach Boys as psychedelic material.  Having said that, anything could be considered psychedelic if you found it to be that way whilst experiencing some altered state.

Even now, while I seldom listen these days to the so called psychedelic bands, I obviously love the Beach Boys and Pet Sounds.  To me, Pet Sounds stands today as a beautifully realized masterpiece of introspective pop music of the highest order.  It never was, to me, a psychedelic album.  Those few bands and albums that were considered psychedelic that  still stand today stand  because they had something else to offer other than psychedelic fad music.  Consider Love Forever Changes and Oddesy and Oracle by the Zombies.  The melody and music, the introspective lyrics, are more comparable to Pet Sounds and precisely why they still have appeal as quality music that still stands.

CenturyDeprived
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #588 on: January 08, 2014, 01:58:53 PM »

Having lived thru the 60's as a teen, I loved the Beachboys for their sonic quality and as a pop culture powerhouse of a band.  As we began to experiment with the more psychedelic culture, we (my peers)were listening to Moody Blues Threshold and Children's Children, Beatles later material, Jeffeson Airplane, Some Hendrix, Love, Doors, Byrds, and some other LA bands.  To me, at the time, Pet Sounds  seemed like an album of really great and ambitious  singles and better than average "filler material".  We didn't listen to the Beach Boys as psychedelic material.  Having said that, anything could be considered psychedelic if you found it to be that way whilst experiencing some altered state.

Even now, while I seldom listen these days to the so called psychedelic bands, I obviously love the Beach Boys and Pet Sounds.  To me, Pet Sounds stands today as a beautifully realized masterpiece of introspective pop music of the highest order.  It never was, to me, a psychedelic album.  Those few bands and albums that were considered psychedelic that  still stand today stand  because they had something else to offer other than psychedelic fad music.  Consider Love Forever Changes and Oddesy and Oracle by the Zombies.  The melody and music, the introspective lyrics, are more comparable to Pet Sounds and precisely why they still have appeal as quality music that still stands.

It's interesting and much appreciated to hear the perspective of someone who lived thru the 60's as a teen, and was a BB fan then. I wonder how the inclusion of "Hang On To Your Ego" lyrics, had they made it to the album, would've affected your (and others') perceptions of the band, in relation to their position (or lack therof) in the psychedelic/progressive music scene?

While I do think, for 1966, it would've been an edgy and subversive move to have had those "Hang On To Your Ego" lyrics instead of the "I Know There's an Answer" lyrics, I think that perhaps the better decision (for having the album sound less dated in 2014) was made when the band went with the "I Know There's an Answer" lyrics. I really like the "I Know There's an Answer" lyrics.

But... I wonder if the "Hang On To Your Ego" lyrics would've done them any short-term good in terms of ridding them of their Surfing Doris Day image. The "Ego" reference seems to me to be more of a nudge-nudge-wink-wink hint towards LSD which would've gotten noticed, as opposed to the, IMO, comparatively less subversive "trip through the day" lyric that made it to the final product.
« Last Edit: January 08, 2014, 02:04:40 PM by CenturyDeprived » Logged
bgas
Smiley Smile Associate

Oh for the good old days

View Profile
« Reply #589 on: January 08, 2014, 02:19:30 PM »

Yes, quite.  I can't remember the last time I caught myself humming a refrain from "Astronomy Domine"(which was a major listening in my tripping days), I'm all the time hearing this or that BBs tune in my head(of course)
Pet Sounds will always be Numero Uno!

Nothing I post is my opinion, it's all a message from God
Rotat
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #590 on: January 08, 2014, 02:23:42 PM »

While I do think, for 1966, it would've been an edgy and subversive move to have had those "Hang On To Your Ego" lyrics instead of the "I Know There's an Answer" lyrics, I think that perhaps the better decision (for having the album sound less dated in 2014) was made when the band went with the "I Know There's an Answer" lyrics. I really like the "I Know There's an Answer" lyrics.

But... I wonder if the "Hang On To Your Ego" lyrics would've done them any short-term good in terms of ridding them of their Surfing Doris Day image. The "Ego" reference seems to me to be more of a nudge-nudge-wink-wink hint towards LSD which would've gotten noticed, as opposed to the, IMO, comparatively less subversive "trip through the day" lyric that made it to the final product.

I like "Hang On To Your Ego" better too. I don't know if keeping those lyrics would have made a difference but would have helped. The 2 things that came later "Good Vibrations" and Smiley Smile are both very trippy to me though, so I think they did release some very psychedelic type stuff slightly later at least.

I remember requesting "Good Vibrations" to the DJ at a formal party at a reception hall once several years ago. As beloved as that song was and is, it is still pretty weird sounding. It felt awkward having it played after all the main dance tunes they were playing (disco songs and whatnot).
Mendota Heights
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #591 on: January 08, 2014, 02:30:36 PM »

I do not get into The Beach Boys when other people are listening with me.

Can't explain it, but their songs sound very sub-par when I am not listening alone.
« Last Edit: January 08, 2014, 02:35:38 PM by Swedish Frog » Logged

I have been dubbed Mr. Pet Sounds and Mr. Country Love by polite and honored board member Smile Brian. I hope I live up to those esteemed titles.
Sheriff John Stone
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #592 on: January 08, 2014, 02:48:49 PM »

I remember requesting "Good Vibrations" to the DJ at a formal party at a reception hall once several years ago. As beloved as that song was and is, it is still pretty weird sounding. It felt awkward having it played after all the main dance tunes they were playing (disco songs and whatnot).

I was a mobile DJ (weddings, parties, dances, class reunions) for twenty years. Very few fast Beach Boys' songs worked on the dance floor. Occasionally I could get some people to dance to "Surfin' U.S.A.", "Dance, Dance, Dance", and "Fun, Fun, Fun", but not often. Eventually I switched to slow BB songs and got some people dancing to "Surfer Girl". I tried "Kiss Me, Baby" once and it bombed. I worked "Wipeout" into the Limbo, and, yes, "Kokomo" worked at pool parties as did the surfin' stuff. At some parties when people were sitting and drinking - and not dancing - I would play "Barbara Ann" and get a sing-a-long going. Car shows were the most fun; I could play ALL the car songs and the people loved it!

My favorite Beach Boys DJ moments were at an annual church festival that I played for about ten years. I would open the festival with "California Girls" and "Do It Again" from Knebworth AND I WOULD CRANK IT! I got a very favorable reaction (people visibly bopping along); later in the festival I would mix"I Get Around" and "Surfin' U.S.A" , also from Knebworth, and it worked. One year I got cocky and did the old "Sloop John B" into "Wouldn't It Be Nice" mix. I loved it; it made me feel like was on stage playing with The Beach Boys.
bluesno1fann
« Reply #593 on: January 08, 2014, 05:10:25 PM »

Here's a few more apparently unpopular BB's opinions I agree with:
Their self-titled album is their most underrated, California Calling aside I never really understood the hate for this album. CATP and L.A. Light Album are both very underrated as well.
All Summer Long on the other hand I find to be the most overrated album, hands down. There's a few great songs, but after listening to the whole album, I just didn't understand why it's so highly rated!
I Went To Sleep and Time To Get Alone from 20/20 I find overrated as well. Always found them to be the most boring tracks off that album.
Do It Again IMHO is a horrible track, and is the worst song off 20/20.
I also find Sumahama off Light Album to be much, much worse than the disco version of HCTN.

I think that's enough. For now.
jeffh
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #594 on: January 08, 2014, 05:39:10 PM »

I love " Smart Girls," both versions
Rotat
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #595 on: January 08, 2014, 07:12:57 PM »

I think Keepin The Summer Alive is a pretty underrated album. The title and cover are awful, but I can honestly say there's only 2 songs I don't care for (the title track and School Days.. although that one has a great intro). Santa Ana Winds is ok too I guess. Other than that I really like all the other tracks. I think "Oh Darlin" is a beautiful song. I don't get what people don't like about Carl's vocal. Only thing is, this album badly needs a remix. People complain about the production (which is pretty crappy), but a remix might make it sound better.
« Last Edit: January 08, 2014, 07:15:12 PM by jcjh20 » Logged
Gabo
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #596 on: January 08, 2014, 08:55:05 PM »

I think there's more to Pet Sounds than that. The melodies, the tonal quality, the chord progressions and harmonies are far beyond what most if not all other bands of the time were doing, even the Beatles. And if the lyrics to those songs are teenybopper, they still hold up better than psychedelic lyrics of the time. Even though Revolver saw the Beatles evolve greatly, musically, I still think the album isn't, for the most part, as timeless as the songs on Pet Sounds. That's even more true with the silly psychedelic musical hall stuff on Sgt. Pepper. Whereas on Pet Sounds you have songs that talk about the impermanence of love, the loss of innocence and the feeling of not being made for these times (things that a majority of people can totally understand), on Sgt. Pepper, you have songs about Henry the horse dancing a waltz, a guy who's going nuts over a meter maid and newspaper taxis appearing on the shore. I love Sgt. Pepper, but still...give me beautiful, heartfelt love songs like 'Wouldn't It Be Nice' and 'God Only Knows' any day.

Same here. But Tony Asher's lyrics, while not exactly poetry, are perfect for what Brian was writing.

Pet Sounds is timeless while a lot of the psychedelic music from the era (Country Joe and the Fish, stuff like that) sounds dated. I'm not criticizing Pet Sounds for not being psychedelic, I'm just reacting to the popular understanding of the album.

"Teenybopper" might be a strong word to use for the lyrics on Pet Sounds, but the songs are certainly about teenage love, for the most part. That doesn't bother me, either.
retrokid67
Smiley Smile Associate

Denny the Dream

View Profile
« Reply #597 on: January 08, 2014, 10:28:10 PM »

I feel that Kokomo shouldn't have been a number one hit, let alone be nominated for a Grammy when so many other beach boys songs are way better.  Huh

"In this new day, change your heart.  Forgive your brother, for life is precious."

-Dennis Wilson
bluesno1fann
« Reply #598 on: January 08, 2014, 10:45:01 PM »

I feel that Kokomo shouldn't have been a number one hit, let alone be nominated for a Grammy when so many other beach boys songs are way better.  Huh
What do you expect from the Grammys? They suck!

Besides, disliking Kokomo isn't an unpopular view at all. It's one of the most hated songs around here, and even in the general public!
retrokid67
Smiley Smile Associate

Denny the Dream

View Profile
« Reply #599 on: January 08, 2014, 10:51:55 PM »

What do you expect from the Grammys? They suck!

Besides, disliking Kokomo isn't an unpopular view at all. It's one of the most hated songs around here, and even in the general public!

Yup the Grammys do suck  LOL but at least the song didn't win

-Dennis Wilson
gfx
Pages: 1 ... 19 20 21 22 23 [24] 25 26 27 28 29 ... 65 Go Up Print 
gfx
Jump to:  
gfx