gfxgfx

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
logo

gfx gfx
gfx
680597 Posts in 27600 Topics by 4068 Members - Latest Member: Dae Lims March 28, 2024, 12:40:59 PM
gfx*HomeHelpSearchCalendarLoginRegistergfx
gfxgfx
Pages: 1 2 3 4 5 [6] 7 8 9 10 11 ... 65 Go Down Print
Author Topic: Unpopular Beach Boys opinions  (Read 348096 times)
Disney Boy (1985)
« Reply #125 on: June 20, 2013, 03:33:54 AM »

Brian's vocal on Let Him Run Wild is awful. The great man himself was right - he sounds way too shrill. 
Ovi
Smiley Smile Associate

They know I'm rock 'n' roll through and through.

View Profile
« Reply #126 on: June 20, 2013, 04:05:37 AM »

- Dennis is nowhere near the 2nd best songwriter of the group.

Then who is?
Lowbacca
Smiley Smile Associate

please let me wonder

View Profile
« Reply #127 on: June 20, 2013, 04:13:07 AM »

Brian's vocal on Let Him Run Wild is awful. The great man himself was right - he sounds way too shrill. 
This is better: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=l9a000jHxqo
Iron Horse-Apples
« Reply #128 on: June 20, 2013, 04:28:20 AM »

Then who is?

Brian
Disney Boy (1985)
« Reply #129 on: June 20, 2013, 04:56:57 AM »

That was good, yes. Although I preferred their take on 'Monkey's Uncle', and not just because of that sexy blonde singing with 'em. Phwoaarrr!!!!
Iron Horse-Apples
« Reply #130 on: June 20, 2013, 05:30:26 AM »

That was good, yes. Although I preferred their take on 'Monkey's Uncle', and not just because of that sexy blonde singing with 'em. Phwoaarrr!!!!

That lead me on to the original, which I like to play from time to time. Had no idea Annette died in April.  Sad
Lowbacca
Smiley Smile Associate

please let me wonder

View Profile
« Reply #131 on: June 20, 2013, 05:33:00 AM »

Cheesy Grin
Regarding their take on "Let Him Run Wild": that 'sweeter' style of singing the high lead on it makes "Let Him Run Wild" an even better song. Gotta say, I've never enjoyed the song as much as when I listen to the Fendertones version. The original studio version is a cool track as well  - but the live setting, particular arrangement and lead vocal by the Fendertones takes the tune to another level altogether.
RangeRoverA1
Smiley Smile Associate

I drink expired tea. wanna sip or spit?

View Profile
« Reply #132 on: June 20, 2013, 05:47:48 AM »

Then who is?
That's a tricky question but I dare say Al. I respect if you think otherwise or maybe that Dennis is the 1st best songwriter. After all, we express our own minds here.

2Disney Boy (1985): for awhile, I thought the same, that's why I didn't like Let Him Run before. Now it's the other way around, though I still will go with the 1998 version.

Short notice: the cat you see to the left is the best. Not counting your indoor cat who might have habit sitting at your left side when you post at SmileySmile.

Who is Lucille Ball & Vivian Vance Duet Fan Club CEO? Btw, such Club exists?

Zany zealous Zeddie eats broccoli at brunch break but doesn't do's & don't's due to duties.
Disney Boy (1985)
« Reply #133 on: June 20, 2013, 06:40:47 AM »

Then who is?
That's a tricky question but I dare say Al. I respect if you think otherwise or maybe that Dennis is the 1st best songwriter. After all, we express our own minds here.

2Disney Boy (1985): for awhile, I thought the same, that's why I didn't like Let Him Run before. Now it's the other way around, though I still will go with the 1998 version.

If Al is a better song-writer than Dennis then I'm George Clooney.
Ovi
Smiley Smile Associate

They know I'm rock 'n' roll through and through.

View Profile
« Reply #134 on: June 20, 2013, 06:46:24 AM »

I, without a doubt, prefer the released version of 'Big Sur'.
RangeRoverA1
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #135 on: June 20, 2013, 07:31:47 AM »

I know you are a huge Dennis fan & respect it, but that is YOUR opinion & I have MINE which differs from YOURS. That is, Al Jardine is the 2nd best songwriter. I like that his songs are filled with positivity, they're all catchy & accessible, plus I like folk music. In short, Al is extremely underrated.

I like Dennis & don't deny that he's got talent. There are a handful of gems in his catalog - both within & outside The BBs. Also, his vocals on Do You Wanna Dance, In The Back of My Mind, This Car of Mine, Surfers Rule, bridge of Girls on the Beach are the chief reasons why I like these songs. But generally, his music is a bit too downbeat & depressing to my taste & mostly I'm not a fan of his 70s voice.

+1! Totally forgot to mention it. The other one sounds like a dull commercial music for Bounty chocolate, too slow.

Short notice: the cat you see to the left is the best. Not counting your indoor cat who might have habit sitting at your left side when you post at SmileySmile.

Zany zealous Zeddie eats broccoli at brunch break but doesn't do's & don't's due to duties.
AndrewHickey
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #136 on: June 20, 2013, 07:38:37 AM »

I know you are a huge Dennis fan & respect it, but that is YOUR opinion & I have MINE which differs from YOURS. That is, Al Jardine is the 2nd best songwriter. I like that his songs are filled with positivity, they're all catchy & accessible, plus I like folk music. In short, Al is extremely underrated.

But in his entire songwriting career, Al has only written *one* song for the Beach Boys that's actually in any way original. Other than All This Is That, everything else has been a minor rewrite of someone else's song. Al's an incredibly underrated singer, a surprisingly competent producer, and seemingly by far the nicest person out of the band members, and I like his solo album a *lot* -- but he's not so much a songwriter as a song rewriter.

The Smiley Smile ignore function: http://andrewhickey.info/the-smiley-smile-ignore-button-sort-of/
Most recent update 03/12/15
Disney Boy (1985)
« Reply #137 on: June 20, 2013, 07:41:30 AM »

I like Dennis & don't deny that he's got talent. There are a handful of gems in his catalog - both within & outside The BBs. Also, his vocals on Do You Wanna Dance, In The Back of My Mind, This Car of Mine, Surfers Rule, bridge of Girls on the Beach are the chief reasons why I like these songs. But generally, his music is a bit too downbeat & depressing to my taste & mostly I'm not a fan of his 70s voice.

+1! Totally forgot to mention it. The other one sounds like a dull commercial music for Bounty chocolate, too slow.

I know it's my opinion, and I never for one minute implied any differently. However the fact remains: if Al is a better song-writer than Dennis then I'm George Clooney.
Bean Bag
Smiley Smile Associate

Right?

View Profile
« Reply #138 on: June 20, 2013, 07:45:02 AM »

Controversial...

MIU is a fantastic Beach Boys album

Imagination is Brian's best solo album -- and probably the most accomplished Beach Boys album since Pet Sounds

Surfin' Safari is a fantastic record

76-83 is my favorite era of the band!!!

Denny had the best voice -- in a non-harmonized, good ol' fashioned, out-front rock voice.  It was the coolest.  The other voices often contributed to them being seen as dorky and old fashioned.  

Far less controversial...

Brian Wilson hasn't been himself since the early 80s. He's been either too "correctly" medicated (or lobotomized!) or he's just older.  I can't tell.  Cheesy

The Beach Boys, as an artistic entity are Brian Wilson and Mike Love.  Wilson/Love.  That's it.  All one needs to have a Beach Boy record is those two dinosaurs to shut the fck up and WORK!!!

Without Denny, they ceased to be a "band."  Still artists, yes but not really a "band," man.  Ya know?

And lastly...

After Brian checked out in 1967, the keys should have been handed to Dennis Wilson, the rightful heir.  Egos would not allow it... and Denny probably didn't command the role -- but he's the only one who possessed anything original or close to an artist vision/roadmap for the band.

All the others were vital contributors... but that's all.  Denny could have led them to something really cool.  He had the feel, the head-turning voice and the charisma to be out front in some fashion.  His solo albums are a sad, drunk and weathered -- six pack a day -- reminder of just how fcking brilliant he was.
« Last Edit: June 20, 2013, 08:44:02 AM by Bean Bag » Logged

RangeRoverA1
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #139 on: June 20, 2013, 07:57:57 AM »

But in his entire songwriting career, Al has only written *one* song for the Beach Boys that's actually in any way original. Other than All This Is That, everything else has been a minor rewrite of someone else's song. Al's an incredibly underrated singer, a surprisingly competent producer, and seemingly by far the nicest person out of the band members, and I like his solo album a *lot* -- but he's not so much a songwriter as a song rewriter.
Mr. Hickey, I get your point, however, I'm sure that in the whole history of music he isn't the only one who borrows sth. from other artists. It happens all the time. Even John Lennon said about it telling the music is the same, with some variations around the chords. So, at some level, one can notice similarities between different songs of different artists. And therefore, I stand to what I've stated. Though I completely agree with the rest of your post.

Bean Bag
Smiley Smile Associate

Right?

View Profile
« Reply #140 on: June 20, 2013, 08:57:33 AM »

My appreciation for Al has skyrocketed over the years.  His singing and his spirit and his music.  All this is that is one of my favorites.  It's such a good song.  Also, I didn't used to -- but now I really like the covers he brought in.  Cotton Fields especially.  It has grown to become another favorite... despite it being soooo Not-Beach Boys.  Smiley  It is the rightful opener to Sunflower, by the way!!

I don't know what the inner-workings of the band were, but Carl is often credited as being the healer, the calm voice who kept the band and family together.  But Al seems to be such a level-headed, focused and music-loving guy.  F- the politics and the business... just the MUSIC!!!  That had to be such a grounding presence.  Especially while Brian was bed-ridden and Mike was going batty with his apple juice jug.

Plus he's the one guy Brian hand-picked for the band, right?  Everyone else was family -- had to be in it.  Brian was Al's friend.  They shared a love for music.  Not just a "collaborator."  But Brian's music-friend.

I'm so frickin' stoked Brian's working with him.

Jason
« Reply #141 on: June 20, 2013, 09:10:08 AM »

I think Brian himself said it best.

"Mike Love is the Beach Boys."
drbeachboy
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #142 on: June 20, 2013, 09:23:11 AM »

"I'm just his stinkin' songwriter" was the whole quote, I believe. Wink

The Brianista Prayer

Oh Brian
Thou Art In Hawthorne,
Harmonied Be Thy name
Your Kingdom Come,
Your Steak Well Done,
On Stage As It Is In Studio,
Give Us This Day, Our Shortenin' Bread
And Forgive Us Our Bootlegs,
As We Also Have Forgiven Our Wife And Managers,
And Lead Us Not Into Kokomo,
But Deliver Us From Mike Love.
Amen.  ---hypehat
Paulos
« Reply #143 on: June 20, 2013, 01:12:54 PM »

There have been many, many opinions on this thread that I disagree with strongly, but the assertion that Al Jardine is the second best song-writer in the Beach boys just blows my mind. I may never recover from this.

drbeachboy
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #144 on: June 20, 2013, 01:16:16 PM »

There have been many, many opinions on this thread that I disagree with strongly, but the assertion that Al Jardine is the second best song-writer in the Beach boys just blows my mind. I may never recover from this.

I'm with you on that.

The Brianista Prayer

Oh Brian
Thou Art In Hawthorne,
Harmonied Be Thy name
Your Kingdom Come,
Your Steak Well Done,
On Stage As It Is In Studio,
Give Us This Day, Our Shortenin' Bread
And Forgive Us Our Bootlegs,
As We Also Have Forgiven Our Wife And Managers,
And Lead Us Not Into Kokomo,
But Deliver Us From Mike Love.
Amen.  ---hypehat
Theydon Bois
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #145 on: June 20, 2013, 01:39:53 PM »

"Barbara Ann" is a highly enjoyable piece of pop music.
TimmyC
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #146 on: June 20, 2013, 01:47:43 PM »

This seems about right... and I agree - he is one nice guy.
Cabinessenceking
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #147 on: June 20, 2013, 01:50:17 PM »

LOL
« Last Edit: June 20, 2013, 01:51:17 PM by Cabinessenceking » Logged
Cabinessenceking
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #148 on: June 20, 2013, 01:50:54 PM »

"Barbara Ann" is a highly enjoyable piece of pop music.

you did not.... Undecided
Micha
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile WWW
« Reply #149 on: June 20, 2013, 01:55:19 PM »

"I'm just his stinkin' songwriter" was the whole quote, I believe. Wink

This is an interesting take, actually - Brian never really was about fun, he was the introspective guy that the Beach Boys never were known for. ("was" because he's not in the band anymore.)

Ceterum censeo SMiLEBrianum OSDumque esse excludendos banno.
gfx
Pages: 1 2 3 4 5 [6] 7 8 9 10 11 ... 65 Go Up Print 
gfx
Jump to:  
gfx