gfxgfx

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
logo

gfx gfx
gfx
680601 Posts in 27601 Topics by 4068 Members - Latest Member: Dae Lims March 29, 2024, 07:42:28 AM
gfx*HomeHelpSearchCalendarLoginRegistergfx
gfxgfx
Pages: 1 ... 6 7 8 9 10 [11] 12 13 14 15 16 ... 65 Go Down Print
Author Topic: Unpopular Beach Boys opinions  (Read 348244 times)
Mike's Beard
Smiley Smile Associate

Check your privilege. Love & Mercy guys!

View Profile
« Reply #250 on: June 23, 2013, 09:36:48 AM »

Also, didn't Carl co-write I Went To Sleep and Good Timin'? Why the instant assumption that Brian provided all the good stuff with these two gems?

Add River Song and Rainbows to the list. The two most instantly catchy POB tracks have his name as co-writer.

I'd rather be forced to sleep with Caitlyn Jenner then ever have to listen to NPP again.
Ovi
Smiley Smile Associate

They know I'm rock 'n' roll through and through.

View Profile
« Reply #251 on: June 23, 2013, 09:45:07 AM »

Also Dance, Dance, Dance, Friends, Be Here In The Morning, It's About Time and All This Is That.
bossaroo
Smiley Smile Associate

...let's be friends...

View Profile
« Reply #252 on: June 23, 2013, 10:28:19 AM »

I rather dislike I Can Hear Music.
lee
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #253 on: June 23, 2013, 11:00:34 AM »

^ Wow!

I LOVE I Can Hear Music. My favorite vocal by Carl and I dig the production as well. One of my absolute favorite BB recordings.

Carl also produced Time To Get Alone.
Ovi
Smiley Smile Associate

They know I'm rock 'n' roll through and through.

View Profile
« Reply #254 on: June 23, 2013, 11:09:47 AM »

^ Wow!

I LOVE I Can Hear Music. My favorite vocal by Carl and I dig the production as well. One of my absolute favorite BB recordings.

Absolutely agree. When he sings that "I close my eyes and here it comes agaaain" part....just wow. Sonic heaven to these ears.
« Last Edit: June 23, 2013, 11:10:52 AM by Ovi » Logged
rab2591
Smiley Smile Associate

"My God. It's full of stars."

View Profile
« Reply #255 on: June 23, 2013, 11:21:42 AM »

^ Wow!

Absolutely agree. When he sings that "I close my eyes and here it comes agaaain" part....just wow. Sonic heaven to these ears.

One of my favorite lead vocals in the Beach Boys catalogue. It's an amazing song.

Bill Tobelman's SMiLE site

God must’ve smiled the day Brian Wilson was born!

"ragegasm" - /rāj • ga-zəm/ : a logical mental response produced when your favorite band becomes remotely associated with the bro-country genre.

Ever want to hear some Beach Boys songs mashed up together like The Beatles' 'LOVE' album? Check out my mix!
runnersdialzero
Smiley Smile Associate

I WILL NEVER GO TO SCHOOL

View Profile
« Reply #256 on: June 23, 2013, 11:29:35 AM »

But doesn't it SOUND real nice? COME AHN

Tell me it's okay.
Tell me you still love me.
People make mistakes.
People make mistakes.
Bicyclerider
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #257 on: June 23, 2013, 12:11:33 PM »

Also Dance, Dance, Dance, Friends, Be Here In The Morning, It's About Time and All This Is That.

And Your Sweet Love if I remember correctly.
bossaroo
Smiley Smile Associate

...let's be friends...

View Profile
« Reply #258 on: June 23, 2013, 12:26:59 PM »

it's just not a great song in my (unpopular) opinion.

i also find it depressing that they were releasing cover material for a single in 1969, when Brian and the others were perfectly capable of writing excellent originals. a bit like releasing And Then I Kissed Her in 1967. just a huge misstep.
« Last Edit: June 23, 2013, 12:42:48 PM by bossaroo » Logged
Cabinessenceking
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #259 on: June 23, 2013, 12:57:46 PM »

But doesn't it SOUND real nice? COME AHN

not big fan of the prominent accoustic guitar in that song, but that aside it is a musical gem
drbeachboy
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #260 on: June 23, 2013, 01:25:06 PM »

i also find it depressing that they were releasing cover material for a single in 1969, when Brian and the others were perfectly capable of writing excellent originals. a bit like releasing And Then I Kissed Her in 1967. just a huge misstep.
Wasn't Capitol responsible for that and not the Beach Boys?

The Brianista Prayer

Oh Brian
Thou Art In Hawthorne,
Harmonied Be Thy name
Your Kingdom Come,
Your Steak Well Done,
On Stage As It Is In Studio,
Give Us This Day, Our Shortenin' Bread
And Forgive Us Our Bootlegs,
As We Also Have Forgiven Our Wife And Managers,
And Lead Us Not Into Kokomo,
But Deliver Us From Mike Love.
Amen.  ---hypehat
phirnis
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #261 on: June 23, 2013, 01:40:07 PM »

You can't compare I Can Hear Music with a cover version as unimaginative (if admittedly pleasant) as Then I Kissed Her. Music is probably the best cover they ever did, easily on par with Sloop John B and Do You Wanna Dance.
Mendota Heights
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #262 on: June 23, 2013, 01:57:05 PM »

ICHM was one of the first songs I ever heard as a kid in the 80's. Gotta love that song.

I have been dubbed Mr. Pet Sounds and Mr. Country Love by polite and honored board member Smile Brian. I hope I live up to those esteemed titles.
Disney Boy (1985)
« Reply #263 on: June 23, 2013, 02:15:44 PM »

I've no problem with them releasing cover versions as singles just so long as they were good - and I Can Hear Music was great! It vastly improved on the original, and to me was definitely of single quality. Bluebirds Over The Mountain on the other hand... Oh dear.
Nicko1234
« Reply #264 on: June 23, 2013, 02:23:39 PM »

Would any of those other original songs on 20/20 really have been bigger hits than I Can Hear Music?
Iron Horse-Apples
« Reply #265 on: June 23, 2013, 02:30:37 PM »

No, Brian produced that track. I always preferred the Redwood vocals as well. The Beach Boys version (with vocals produced by Carl) lacks that wonderful harmony in the chorus that completely lifted the track into that magical higher plateau that only Brian could manage. Also the lovely horn solo is missing in the BB version.
bossaroo
Smiley Smile Associate

...let's be friends...

View Profile
« Reply #266 on: June 23, 2013, 03:50:32 PM »

Would any of those other original songs on 20/20 really have been bigger hits than I Can Hear Music?

probably not. I'm just saying they were capable of writing and releasing better material. They had one the greatest songwriters alive in the band. The production, arrangement, and vocals are all top-notch on ICHM, but ultimately the song/melody does very little for me. It's just kind of there. And as good as the voices are, there's just something... or someONE rather, missing.
TimeToGetAlone
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #267 on: June 23, 2013, 04:12:33 PM »

I'd take Summer in Paradise over at least 95% of today's top 40 (I find SIP more uninspired and lame than it is irritating)

It's the production and vocals that make the Beach Boys such a good band to listen to, rather than the songwriting (with only Brian's greatest achievements being any exception to this rule).  That's not a knock on the songwriting; I just think those other elements make far more of a tangible difference on the listening experience.  Thinking about it this way, the vast majority of songs I've ever heard would be a-okay with 60s and early 70's Beach Boys vocals and production.

Lyrics are miniscule.  They have to really blatantly stand out as meaningful or dreadful to be a detriment or addition to the song.  The Beach Boys have only rarely reached extremes like these.

I would never tell someone I love listening to Beach Boys unless I know them very well, will never see them again, or know they will either share these sentiments or be entirely indifferent. (not really an opinion, but a way of living!)

"The Beach Boys" is a terribly gimmicky band name.  Probably the worst relative to its musical achievements.

I wish Pet Sounds had more diversity in terms of the vocals. At this point in the band's career they had five great lead vocalists (relative to pretty any other band I can think of) and part of made their mid-period so interesting was how the singing could shift from song to song.  Partly for this reason, I'm most excited to pop in albums like 20/20 and Surf's Up.

Holland is their second most consistently good album, but not their second best.
« Last Edit: June 23, 2013, 04:24:52 PM by TimeToGetAlone » Logged
rab2591
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #268 on: June 23, 2013, 04:16:52 PM »

I would never tell someone I love listening to Beach Boys unless I know them very well, will never see them again, or know they will either share these sentiments or be entirely indifferent. (not really an opinion, but a way of living!)

At parties and get-togethers, if the subject of music comes up I'll dive right into why The Beach Boys are the greatest band ever. I don't make many friends at parties Cheesy

"ragegasm" - /rāj • ga-zəm/ : a logical mental response produced when your favorite band becomes remotely associated with the bro-country genre.

Ever want to hear some Beach Boys songs mashed up together like The Beatles' 'LOVE' album? Check out my mix!
Shady
Smiley Smile Associate

I had to fix a lot of things this morning

View Profile
« Reply #269 on: June 23, 2013, 04:18:54 PM »

Man, Carl, Dennis and Pet Sounds are really taking hits in this thread

According to someone who would know.

Seriously, there was a Beach Boys Love You condom?!  Amazing.
lee
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #270 on: June 23, 2013, 04:22:04 PM »

No, Brian produced that track. I always preferred the Redwood vocals as well. The Beach Boys version (with vocals produced by Carl) lacks that wonderful harmony in the chorus that completely lifted the track into that magical higher plateau that only Brian could manage. Also the lovely horn solo is missing in the BB version.

Ah, so it was the vocals produced by Carl. Thanks for that info. I was just going by the Carl production credit on my vinyl copy of 20/20.
TimeToGetAlone
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #271 on: June 23, 2013, 04:27:54 PM »

At parties and get-togethers, if the subject of music comes up I'll dive right into why The Beach Boys are the greatest band ever. I don't make many friends at parties Cheesy
One of these days I gotta seize control of the music, play one of their most un-stereotypical songs and never tell a soul what is playing!
rab2591
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #272 on: June 23, 2013, 04:28:19 PM »

Man, Carl, Dennis and Pet Sounds are really taking hits in this thread

I wanted to cry when someone wrote that the instrumentals on Pet Sounds were "utter crap"

Let's Go Away For Awhile is like the best of Nelson Riddle, Les Baxter, and Burt Bacharach rolled into one. It's a shame that a lot of people don't realize the brilliance of this song. Philip Lambert does a phenomenal job of describing how genius this song is in his Brian Wilson book.

rab2591
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #273 on: June 23, 2013, 04:29:35 PM »

One of these days I gotta seize control of the music, play one of their most un-stereotypical songs and never tell a soul what is playing!

I did this on a road trip once - I played Cabinessence without telling anyone who it was - blew people's minds Shocked

MBE
« Reply #274 on: June 23, 2013, 05:36:31 PM »

Brian and Carl worked on it. Carl did a lot of the final mix, but Brian did a great vocal lead and background. Great arrangement by him too,
gfx
Pages: 1 ... 6 7 8 9 10 [11] 12 13 14 15 16 ... 65 Go Up Print 
gfx
Jump to:  
gfx