gfxgfx

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
logo

gfx gfx
gfx
649807 Posts in 25978 Topics by 3702 Members - Latest Member: GV August 25, 2019, 01:16:45 PM
gfx*HomeHelpSearchCalendarLoginRegistergfx
gfxgfx
Pages: 1 ... 55 56 57 58 59 [60] Go Down Print
Author Topic: Unpopular Beach Boys opinions  (Read 176755 times)
RangeRoverA1
Smiley Smile Associate

I drink expired tea. wanna sip or spit?

View Profile
« Reply #1475 on: May 06, 2019, 07:09:13 PM »

*Smiley Smile and Wild Honey are by far their best albums (not counting SMiLE). Give me one of those over Sgt Pepper any day.

*Jack Rieley's vocal on A Day in the Life of a Tree is absolutely magnificent

*Controversial since we don't have all the details, but I suspect Dennis wasn't cared for well enough by the rest of the band during his battles with drug addiction.

*In terms of Beach Boys contributions, what Blondie did in a couple of years exceeds what Bruce did in 50 years.

*Spirit of America is easily their best car song and should have been a big hit.
Signed Sincerely, good list. Respectively, agree that Smiley Smile is better than Sgt. Pepper; Jack's lead is fitting to song about passing tree - brutally ugly yet gives you perfect mental pic; yes indeed, similar suspicion; 200% agree regarding Blondie:Bruce ratio; big "Spirit Of America" fan.

Short notice: the cat you see to the left is the best. Not counting your indoor cat who might have habit sitting at your left side when you post at SmileySmile.

Gene Tierney is beautiful. She's talented.

"Broiler Brunch" - check in theaters new fam TV series! Better than since Bradys!
Signed Sincerely
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #1476 on: May 07, 2019, 08:07:24 AM »

Jack's lead is fitting to song about passing tree - brutally ugly yet gives you perfect mental pic

Thanks RangeRover, those are exactly my thoughts on Rieley's vocal - I figured that's the kind of thing he and Brian were going for. I don't really care for his narration on Mt Vernon and Fairway, but for me Rieley gets it just right on A Day in the Life of a Tree.

I imagine Brian's voice by around 1976-77 would be great on that song as well, but of course it hadn't changed that much by the time of the Surf's Up album.
Signed Sincerely
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #1477 on: May 08, 2019, 12:20:47 PM »

I love "Spirit Of America". That and the magnificent "Cherry, Cherry Coupe" are my favourites on LDC.

JK, thanks a lot for the reminder about that song! I don't think I've heard it in about eight years. Nice hidden gem.
gfx
Pages: 1 ... 55 56 57 58 59 [60] Go Up Print 
gfx
Jump to:  
gfx