gfxgfx

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
logo

gfx gfx
gfx
680849 Posts in 27616 Topics by 4067 Members - Latest Member: Dae Lims April 27, 2024, 04:15:19 PM
gfx*HomeHelpSearchCalendarLoginRegistergfx
gfxgfx
Pages: 1 ... 4 5 6 7 8 [9] 10 11 Go Down Print
Author Topic: MIC Price Discussion Thread.  (Read 47285 times)
bgas
Smiley Smile Associate

Oh for the good old days

View Profile
« Reply #200 on: August 27, 2013, 08:06:16 AM »

Just saw some folks selling it on Ebay; best deal I saw was $120.44 including free shipping in the USA

Nothing I post is my opinion, it's all a message from God
Matt Bielewicz
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #201 on: August 27, 2013, 08:20:50 AM »

Incidentally, I kept my original Amazon UK order on in case there was a foul-up with my subsequent order from Amazon Germany. Now my box is here from Amazon.de, I could cancel my UK order. However, if anyone reading this would like me to redirect my Amazon UK order to their address, I will gladly do so if you'll refund me the Amazon price I paid. I got a reasonably good early lock-in deal price (£66.11 including shipping), although it's not as good as the Sainsbury's on-line price given above (£63.99 — not sure if that includes shipping or not).

The other disadvantage is that I have no idea when that UK set will ship. It's not on priority shipping and my original delivery estimate was September 5th, so if you can't wait that long, I'd advise you look elsewhere. However, if you can find an on-line leak to tide you over until then and would be happy to pay a few quid less than the current Amazon price, or any of the UK bricks-and-mortar retailers' prices, drop me a PM. First come, first served, and if there's no interest by tomorrow in the UK, I'll cancel the order. Otherwise, I may end up with *two* Beach Boys career-spanning box sets, and while one may be regarded as a misfortune, two starts to look like carelessness...!
« Last Edit: August 27, 2013, 08:23:25 AM by Matt Bielewicz » Logged
drbeachboy
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #202 on: August 27, 2013, 08:40:09 AM »

I got a message saying it was delivered 30 mins ago. Strange, but YAY!!!! anyway. Smiley

The Brianista Prayer

Oh Brian
Thou Art In Hawthorne,
Harmonied Be Thy name
Your Kingdom Come,
Your Steak Well Done,
On Stage As It Is In Studio,
Give Us This Day, Our Shortenin' Bread
And Forgive Us Our Bootlegs,
As We Also Have Forgiven Our Wife And Managers,
And Lead Us Not Into Kokomo,
But Deliver Us From Mike Love.
Amen.  ---hypehat
Tony S
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #203 on: August 27, 2013, 08:44:44 AM »

I really thought I'd be able to pick up the set at Best Buy, or maybe Target or even my local Indie store.....no such luck.....no one has it in stock, and all said they wouldn't be getting it. Sort of surprised, I just ordered my copy from Amazon for Friday delivery. The way of the world now I suppose.
37!ws
Smiley Smile Associate

All baggudo at my man

View Profile WWW
« Reply #204 on: August 27, 2013, 09:13:38 AM »

Even the indie stores where I live that had The Smile Sessions in stock on day 1 said "we didn't order any, but we can order one for you."

Check out my podcasts: Tune X Podcast (tunex.fab4it.com) and Autobiography of a Schnook (SchnookPodcast.com); there are worse things you can do!
monicker
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #205 on: August 27, 2013, 09:14:46 AM »

I'm on the east coast and placed my order with ImportCDs on Saturday, and it's showing as still in Compton, "ready for transport to USPS" (which seems odd that it would be handed off so early). It didn't move from Compton all of yesterday  Cry

Also, i called a Newbury Comics in town just out of curiosity and they said they had one copy in but already sold it. As a comparison, they had about 4 or 5 copies of TSS on release day.

Don't be eccentric, this is a BEACH BOYS forum, for God's sake!
The Shift
Smiley Smile Associate

Biding time

View Profile
« Reply #206 on: August 27, 2013, 09:31:51 AM »

A courier has just turned up with my box at my house in East Anglia...

Envy…  But well done on the circuitous route to ownership!  LOL

“We live in divisive times.”
bgas
Smiley Smile Associate

Oh for the good old days

View Profile
« Reply #207 on: August 27, 2013, 10:41:22 AM »

Steve Martin called; THE NEW PHONE BOOK IS HERE!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! 
 should I open it?

Nothing I post is my opinion, it's all a message from God
MarcellaHasDirtyFeet
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #208 on: August 27, 2013, 10:49:17 AM »

Help!

Don't really know where to post this, so this will have to do.

I am not a completist, or a collector. I just want the music I don't have. So I was going to cherry pick off of iTunes, but many of the alternate/a capella tracks I so desperately want are listed as "Purchased" in the iTunes store, despite the tags like "alternate version" or "stereo" after the song titles. The biggest problem being the stereo "Country Air," which I am unable to purchase a la carte (or at all, perhaps).

Somebody brought this up in another thread before the release date, but I haven't read anything else since (that discussion came to an end when Disney Boy decided that only people who buy physical CD product are allowed to be real fans).

Any suggestions? I wish I had just bought the mp3 version from Amazon, but I've already purchased all the tracks I could get off of iTunes and don't want to buy them twice. Although now I might have to...
alf wiedersehen
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #209 on: August 27, 2013, 10:56:25 AM »

Help!

Don't really know where to post this, so this will have to do.

I am not a completist, or a collector. I just want the music I don't have. So I was going to cherry pick off of iTunes, but many of the alternate/a capella tracks I so desperately want are listed as "Purchased" in the iTunes store, despite the tags like "alternate version" or "stereo" after the song titles. The biggest problem being the stereo "Country Air," which I am unable to purchase a la carte (or at all, perhaps).

Somebody brought this up in another thread before the release date, but I haven't read anything else since (that discussion came to an end when Disney Boy decided that only people who buy physical CD product are allowed to be real fans).

Any suggestions? I wish I had just bought the mp3 version from Amazon, but I've already purchased all the tracks I could get off of iTunes and don't want to buy them twice. Although now I might have to...

Buy the tracks you can't get on iTunes off Amazon. You can cherry pick there without having to buy the entire thing.

Link for Amazon:  http://www.amazon.com/Made-In-California-digital-booklet/dp/B00EONYSZW/ref=sr_1_1_bnp_1_mus?ie=UTF8&qid=1377626072&sr=8-1&keywords=made+in+california

Just buy the singular tracks (each for $1.29.)
« Last Edit: August 27, 2013, 10:58:52 AM by Bubbly Waves » Logged
MarcellaHasDirtyFeet
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #210 on: August 27, 2013, 11:42:45 AM »

Haha that was easy. Guess I didn't need to freak out lying awake in bed last night. Thanks!
GhostyTMRS
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #211 on: August 27, 2013, 01:31:39 PM »

I really thought I'd be able to pick up the set at Best Buy, or maybe Target or even my local Indie store.....no such luck.....no one has it in stock, and all said they wouldn't be getting it. Sort of surprised, I just ordered my copy from Amazon for Friday delivery. The way of the world now I suppose.

I hear ya. I was lucky in that I found an FYE about an hour away from me that carried it (they had one copy). When I went to my local FYE they told me they wouldn't be carrying it at all (same for Barnes & Noble and Best Buy, Target, etc.) They called another store for me who said they had it but couldn't find it. After some chatting over the phone, the clerk did manage to locate it. Because the box is vinyl size they stuck it in with the vinyl (Doh!). I wonder if anyone else had this problem?

I'm shocked about the Indie stores in my area. When I called I was told "We can special order it but it'll take a few weeks". When I expressed surprise that tracking down the box set in stores was so difficult the owner told me "The Beach Boys don't sell here" which I guess is true but....aren't the hipsters supposed to be into the Beach Boys?

37!ws
Smiley Smile Associate

All baggudo at my man

View Profile WWW
« Reply #212 on: August 27, 2013, 02:14:21 PM »

So after I cancelled my Amazon order, I posted on the Facebook wall of one of the indie record stores in town asking if they were going to have it in stock. They said no, because if they did they'd have to charge $144.99 for it. (!!!)

Check out my podcasts: Tune X Podcast (tunex.fab4it.com) and Autobiography of a Schnook (SchnookPodcast.com); there are worse things you can do!
monicker
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #213 on: August 27, 2013, 02:16:58 PM »

I'm shocked about the Indie stores in my area. When I called I was told "We can special order it but it'll take a few weeks". When I expressed surprise that tracking down the box set in stores was so difficult the owner told me "The Beach Boys don't sell here" which I guess is true but....aren't the hipsters supposed to be into the Beach Boys?

Not a box set like this. MiC is the epitome of square and geeky (and not in the ironic and cool way) -- i mean, look at the thing, it comes packaged as a yearbook and it covers their entire career. And for those who don't know any better, it's kind of being promoted with the likes of Goin' to the Beach.

Don't be eccentric, this is a BEACH BOYS forum, for God's sake!
Ram4
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #214 on: August 27, 2013, 02:27:25 PM »

I ordered mine from importcds last Thursday at noon.  Got an email an hour ago saying it was in Forest Park, IL (about 40 minutes from me).  Getting closer!

I'm fine waiting because another package I ordered DID come today.  I got the Beach Boys In Concert book and it looks great.  That plus I finally ordered some of the 2012 remasters, so technically I do have some new mixes to listen to until MIC comes.
Bean Bag
Smiley Smile Associate

Right?

View Profile
« Reply #215 on: August 27, 2013, 08:59:32 PM »

I've got $17.  Anyone see it for $17

No?  Hmmm...

37!ws
Smiley Smile Associate

All baggudo at my man

View Profile WWW
« Reply #216 on: August 28, 2013, 02:47:08 PM »

Okay, so after I cancelled my order, I went to Collectors Choice Music and added MIC to my cart, then created an account.

While I was doing that, the Mrs. told me to hold off because she was trying something to guarantee we'd get it by today. (We did; she just texted me to confirm she got it at her workplace.) So i closed out the browser.

Then i got an e-mail from Collectors Choice Music saying something like "We noticed you abandoned our site without finishing your order. We hope we didn't upset you. So here's a coupon code for $5 off a purchase of $25 or more." Which means I could have gotten it for $5 LESS than their already-lower-than-a-lot-of-dealers' prices.

Mitchell
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #217 on: August 28, 2013, 02:55:42 PM »

For those in Canada not wanting to order/wait for shipping, HMV has it for $115.99.

Watch out for snakes!
Dave Modny
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #218 on: August 28, 2013, 02:58:18 PM »

Then i got an e-mail from Collectors Choice Music saying something like "We noticed you abandoned our site without finishing your order. We hope we didn't upset you. So here's a coupon code for $5 off a purchase of $25 or more." Which means I could have gotten it for $5 LESS than their already-lower-than-a-lot-of-dealers' prices.

You should tell them that you're REAAALLLY P*SSED!

Maybe...they'll send you a 10 dollar coupon...lol?
runnersdialzero
Smiley Smile Associate

I WILL NEVER GO TO SCHOOL

View Profile
« Reply #219 on: August 28, 2013, 05:04:04 PM »

Hipsters are into Pet Sounds.

Hate to say it, but I'm not shocked at all. These guys have just been misrepresented and under-promoted to the extent that I'm worried as to how well something like this will sell, especially for such a steep price. I hope it does well, but yeah. Sad

Out of curiousity, I looked and it's not even on the s00per fancy invite-only torrenting site I use, which usually has stuff up in lossless at least a few days prior to release, if not a week or two. The same was true of the Smile box (which had much more public interest) and the mono/stereo remasters last year - they didn't appear until weeks or even months after the fact.

Hate to say it, but the people really interested in recordings like "My Love Lives On" or "Where Is She?" or whatever might only number in the thousands. Sad

Tell me it's okay.
Tell me you still love me.
People make mistakes.
People make mistakes.
Bean Bag
Smiley Smile Associate

Right?

View Profile
« Reply #220 on: August 29, 2013, 08:17:56 AM »

The comments above, really show how the marketing of this box (and frankly, the band) is just plain awful.  It's really starting to piss me off.  Piss me right off!!

The look of the box -- the orange -- makes it LOOK like it's another retread of Sounds Of Summer.  Like a deluxe, over-priced version of that set.  Which, it kind of is... but with a lot of cool bonus stuff.  Stuff that a Sounds Of Summer buyer -- DOESN'T WANT.

This box wasn't for the casual fcking fan!!  It was for us.  We're the target.. the hardcore.  The hipsters, if you will.  It should have had something a little more artsy on the cover -- I don't know.  Maybe some original artwork?  Similar to Smiley Smile or something?

I've never really minded -- even defended -- them relying on their "surf" image.  But it's kind of wearing thin on me.  Pet Sounds is cool.  SMiLE is cool.  This SH-T IS COOL NOW!!!!!!!!!

For crying out loud!!  I think the people are ready to see the Beach Boys in a different light, I think they can handle it.  My God, they crave it!!!  They want to see something different!!!  Lord almighty, can I get a witness?!!

WallWall
« Last Edit: August 29, 2013, 08:21:16 AM by Bean Bag » Logged

drbeachboy
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #221 on: August 29, 2013, 08:26:07 AM »

The comments above, really show how the marketing of this box (and frankly, the band) is just plain awful.  It's really starting to piss me off.  Piss me right off!!

The look of the box -- the orange -- makes it LOOK like it's another retread of Sounds Of Summer.  Like a deluxe, over-priced version of that set.  Which, it kind of is... but with a lot of cool bonus stuff.  Stuff that a Sounds Of Summer buyer -- DOESN'T WANT.

This box wasn't for the casual fcking fan!!  It was for us.  We're the target.. the hardcore.  The hipsters, if you will.  It should have had something a little more artsy on the cover -- I don't know.  Maybe some original artwork?  Similar to Smiley Smile or something?

I've never really minded -- even defended -- them relying on their "surf" image.  But it's kind of wearing thin on me.  Pet Sounds is cool.  SMiLE is cool.  This SH-T IS COOL NOW!!!!!!!!!

For crying out loud!!  I think the people are ready to see the Beach Boys in a different light, I think they can handle it.  My God, they crave it!!!  They want to see something different!!!  Lord almighty, can I get a witness?!!

Wall
Think about it, if it was for us, there is no way that they would put an embossed wave on the box. Mowing the lawn and washing the car is what we want. Oh, wait... that was on Hawthorne,CA. Wink Actually, I would have loved an embossed Appeal To The Great Spirit. Smiley

The Brianista Prayer

Oh Brian
Thou Art In Hawthorne,
Harmonied Be Thy name
Your Kingdom Come,
Your Steak Well Done,
On Stage As It Is In Studio,
Give Us This Day, Our Shortenin' Bread
And Forgive Us Our Bootlegs,
As We Also Have Forgiven Our Wife And Managers,
And Lead Us Not Into Kokomo,
But Deliver Us From Mike Love.
Amen.  ---hypehat
pixletwin
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #222 on: August 29, 2013, 08:34:17 AM »

Actually, I would have loved an embossed Appeal To The Great Spirit. Smiley

This.

Someone with the photoshop skills needs to make this happen. I would LOVE to see that.
Bean Bag
Smiley Smile Associate

Right?

View Profile
« Reply #223 on: August 29, 2013, 08:41:03 AM »

THAT would have been perfect!!!!

Seriously... something, anything, to show you that this set goes deeper.  But not like this...

LOL

Matt Bielewicz
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #224 on: August 29, 2013, 08:56:45 AM »

The comments above, really show how the marketing of this box (and frankly, the band) is just plain awful.  It's really starting to piss me off.  Piss me right off!!

The look of the box -- the orange -- makes it LOOK like it's another retread of Sounds Of Summer.

[snip]

WallWall

Ah, but hang on Mr Bag.

I hate the cheesy surf image as well, and think it, along with that furshenliggen mid-70s 'wave' logo for the band that we're now stuck with on MiC as well, does the band something of a disservice... but apart from that, I think the wave cover and the orange colour for MiC is really cool. When you hold the real thing in your hand, it looks great. The faux-leather and the orange colour suggest... well, a REAL orange, the fruit, which has strong historical links to California, and the typography and design inside (may the Almighty Flying Spaghetti Monster himself bless Mark London) is terrific. It's a seriously cool package.

There's also the small but significant fact that MiC is a large hardbacked-book-sized thing, and Sounds Of Summer is a small CD-case-sized thing. There's no way the two can get confused. That's not clear from comparing two JPEGs, as you did here. I guess if you buy it as a download, that could happen, as JPEGs might be all you get to go on... but not when you shell for the real deal.

Oh, and one more thing — whatever you think of the design for MiC, consider how much worse we had it with the GV box. Those furshenliggen CD booklet graphics were so bad I had to turn them around, so mine have images of the Boys from the four different eras on the front. I mean... my eyyyyeeezzzzzz!!!! A condensation-covered orange inexplicably flying in space with the sea inside it!!!! A blonde surfer girl surrounded by blue sperm!!! A winged motorcycle headlight in the shape of a heart (what WERE they thinking here?) with flames behind it! And all done in that friggin' awful airbrushed mid-70s prog rock cartoon style! WHHHHHHHHHYYYY...Huh??
« Last Edit: August 29, 2013, 09:10:22 AM by Matt Bielewicz » Logged
gfx
Pages: 1 ... 4 5 6 7 8 [9] 10 11 Go Up Print 
gfx
Jump to:  
gfx