gfxgfx

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
logo

gfx gfx
gfx
680740 Posts in 27613 Topics by 4068 Members - Latest Member: Dae Lims April 18, 2024, 11:15:40 AM
gfx*HomeHelpSearchCalendarLoginRegistergfx
gfxgfx
Pages: 1 ... 6 7 8 9 10 [11] Go Down Print
Author Topic: MIC Price Discussion Thread.  (Read 47173 times)
runnersdialzero
Smiley Smile Associate

I WILL NEVER GO TO SCHOOL

View Profile
« Reply #250 on: September 05, 2013, 06:08:19 PM »

By the way... not being in stores, like Best Buy... is very strange.  I'm shocked.  Shocked!  Especially after being lectured by many that this set is not just for us... but rather, John Q. Pubic.

It's a microcosm of the new economic reality. Most CDs/Books I want to purchase these days aren't carried by Best Buy/B& N/Target, I have to order the item online. Stores like Best Buy & Barnes and Noble exist only to have us "kick the tires" on some products (especially major purchases like appliances) and maybe get an idea of something we wanted that we didn't know we wanted....then when we find it we order the item for a much cheaper price online and wait for it to arrive from our favorite online retailer who doesn't have to worry about overhead costs like retail space rental, customer service employees, etc.

I would agree, in general.  Different market, different times.  But the SMiLE box was in Best Buys.  That was a 5 CD, two lp, 130 dollar multi-deluxe set spanning just ONE unreleased album (albeit the most famous reindeer of all).

But MiC screams greatest hits... yet its MORE expensive than the SMiLE box and NOT in stores.

Huh

That's the thing - Smile has/had a huge reputation built up over the years. It finally being released was somewhat of a big deal.

MIC, on the other hand, is probably kind of seen as just another hits package to the casual fan. I don't think many people want to drop 130 bucks for a sort of "best of" over the cheap ten/fifteen dollar version when their interest in the band is limited.

With all that in mind, Made In California is much more for the hardcore fan than The Smile Sessions was. I know many hardcore fans will say they already have maybe 75% of this stuff and this is why I'm kind of worried as to how well this will end up selling. Hopefully when and if this sees a drastic price drop, sales will go up.

Tell me it's okay.
Tell me you still love me.
People make mistakes.
People make mistakes.
chrs_mrgn
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #251 on: September 05, 2013, 08:25:30 PM »

By the way... not being in stores, like Best Buy... is very strange.  I'm shocked.  Shocked!  Especially after being lectured by many that this set is not just for us... but rather, John Q. Pubic.

It's a microcosm of the new economic reality. Most CDs/Books I want to purchase these days aren't carried by Best Buy/B& N/Target, I have to order the item online. Stores like Best Buy & Barnes and Noble exist only to have us "kick the tires" on some products (especially major purchases like appliances) and maybe get an idea of something we wanted that we didn't know we wanted....then when we find it we order the item for a much cheaper price online and wait for it to arrive from our favorite online retailer who doesn't have to worry about overhead costs like retail space rental, customer service employees, etc.

I would agree, in general.  Different market, different times.  But the SMiLE box was in Best Buys.  That was a 5 CD, two lp, 130 dollar multi-deluxe set spanning just ONE unreleased album (albeit the most famous reindeer of all).

But MiC screams greatest hits... yet its MORE expensive than the SMiLE box and NOT in stores.

Huh

That's the thing - Smile has/had a huge reputation built up over the years. It finally being released was somewhat of a big deal.

MIC, on the other hand, is probably kind of seen as just another hits package to the casual fan. I don't think many people want to drop 130 bucks for a sort of "best of" over the cheap ten/fifteen dollar version when their interest in the band is limited.

With all that in mind, Made In California is much more for the hardcore fan than The Smile Sessions was. I know many hardcore fans will say they already have maybe 75% of this stuff and this is why I'm kind of worried as to how well this will end up selling. Hopefully when and if this sees a drastic price drop, sales will go up.

My thought exactly. Why pay any more when you already have Fun, Fun, Fun, Little Deuce Coupe, Surfin Safari and Surfer Girl on 5 other greatest hits comps.
Empire Of Love
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile WWW
« Reply #252 on: November 26, 2013, 07:27:14 PM »

I haven't seen this updated posted, if a repeat, my apologies.  For those still waiting, Amazon is down to $108.24:

http://www.amazon.com/Made-California-The-Beach-Boys/dp/B008XZKSRY/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1385522304&sr=8-1&keywords=beach+boys+made+in+california

Free shipping.

EoL

Blake Alan
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #253 on: November 27, 2013, 11:56:36 AM »

For anyone who doesn't already have a copy of MiC (or anyone that wants an extra copy, I suppose), Amazon will be featuring it as part of their Lightning Deals today at 4:00 pm est. The sale price hasn't been announced yet, but I would assume it will be heavily discounted. A rough guess would be 20 to 40 percent off. These deals tend to end pretty quickly, so if you're interested I would try to be there at or near the start. Here's the link:

http://www.amazon.com/b/ref=bf2013_ln_music?ie=UTF8&node=4989003011&pf_rd_m=ATVPDKIKX0DER&pf_rd_s=left-2&pf_rd_r=063H1DEMC799SKVSCPRS&pf_rd_t=101&pf_rd_p=1680025222&pf_rd_i=384082011

UPDATE: Sale price is $80.49.
« Last Edit: November 27, 2013, 01:01:52 PM by Blake Alan » Logged
urbanite
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #254 on: November 27, 2013, 03:05:28 PM »

Thanks for the tip.  I just ordered the box on Amazon for $80.  Good deal.
Heysaboda
Smiley Smile Associate

Son, don't wait till the break of day....

View Profile
« Reply #255 on: November 27, 2013, 03:34:25 PM »

I was a CHUMP for paying $125 for this set on its release date!

Angry

Son, don't wait till the break of day 'cause you know how time fades away......
lee
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #256 on: November 27, 2013, 03:47:20 PM »

I'm chump #2.
Heysaboda
Smiley Smile Associate

Son, don't wait till the break of day....

View Profile
« Reply #257 on: November 27, 2013, 04:09:31 PM »

LOL  Yeah, those CD inserts for the GV box were questionable!

I hear you about the quality of the physical product, once in your hands, being much nicer -- and not confuse-able with the Sounds of Summer CD.  But, I think MiC is clearly "on brand" (a little marketing lingo) with the SoS release.  Orange.  Simple.  Beachy.  It wasn't an accident, or artistic choice.  It's marketing, branding 101.  And since this set isn't really being sold in stores (?!?!?!) and almost exclusively online, the distinction between the two, isn't really all that distinct.

I mean Public.

I got my SMiLE Sessions box at Best Buy.  Strange, huh?  I don't know what to think.  Was this grossly over-priced and largely redundant box for the fleecing of the hardcore fans?  Well, yes... but why the camouflage of a greatest hits "career retrospective?"  Why not capitol-ize on the success and interest of the SMiLE box, and go artsy-fartsy?  Resurrect the Beach Boys as the overlooked artistic institution that they are.  Que es un dealios? (what is the deal?)

In the end, who cares.  I just find the whole thing a strange, wasted opportunity.  More the byproduct of a mechanical marketing team running on auto-pilot, rather than a brilliant, dedicated public relations and image revival effort.

I can’t disagree w/ anything that Bean Bag said.  But I wish the BB’s would start up a legacy series similar to what Dylan’s people do with his Bootleg Series: focus on certain periods in the BB’s history and release theme based legacy sets: Live ’71, etc.  Lotsa stuff there to appeal to casual fan and maniac alike.

Son, don't wait till the break of day 'cause you know how time fades away......
MD
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #258 on: November 27, 2013, 06:13:28 PM »

For anyone who doesn't already have a copy of MiC (or anyone that wants an extra copy, I suppose), Amazon will be featuring it as part of their Lightning Deals today at 4:00 pm est. The sale price hasn't been announced yet, but I would assume it will be heavily discounted. A rough guess would be 20 to 40 percent off. These deals tend to end pretty quickly, so if you're interested I would try to be there at or near the start. Here's the link:

http://www.amazon.com/b/ref=bf2013_ln_music?ie=UTF8&node=4989003011&pf_rd_m=ATVPDKIKX0DER&pf_rd_s=left-2&pf_rd_r=063H1DEMC799SKVSCPRS&pf_rd_t=101&pf_rd_p=1680025222&pf_rd_i=384082011

I got mine at $80.49...Smiley

According to Amazon only 9 % were claimed...

Monty...
bgas
Smiley Smile Associate

Oh for the good old days

View Profile
« Reply #259 on: November 27, 2013, 07:03:32 PM »

I got mine at $80.49...Smiley

According to Amazon only 9 % were claimed...

Monty...

Well, yeah, ya know all of these have the mastering error on disc 3....

Nothing I post is my opinion, it's all a message from God
leggo of my ego
Smiley Smile Associate

Beach Boys Stomp

View Profile
« Reply #260 on: November 28, 2013, 06:59:30 AM »

Paid less than $90 on Amazon UK on release date but thats a good deal for you that held out this long!  Wink

Hey Little Tomboy is creepy. Banging women by the pool is fun and conjures up warm summer thoughts a Beach Boys song should.

Necessity knows no law
A bootlegger knows no law
Therefore: A bootlegger is a necessity
Disney Boy (1985)
« Reply #261 on: November 28, 2013, 09:35:07 AM »

It's been under 60-something quid on Amazon UK for about a month now... No moaning about the price now folks, that's a perfectly reasonable price for a 6-CD boxset in deluxe packaging.
urbanite
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #262 on: November 28, 2013, 11:56:13 PM »

I might have bought the box sooner if I hadn't been able to listen to WIBNTLA on the net at about the same time the box set was released.  Being able to listen to a few select cuts on the net made it so I didn't feel like I had to rush out and buy it, but the cuts I heard made me want to buy the box even more.  So thanks Amazon for the price cut.
alf wiedersehen
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #263 on: November 29, 2013, 12:07:29 AM »

Cynical as it may seem, that's probably why they put it up for sale - they're hoping to get rid of their problematic stock.
feelsflow
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #264 on: November 29, 2013, 08:29:49 AM »

Cynical as it may seem, that's probably why they put it up for sale - they're hoping to get rid of their problematic stock.

I agree.  This is their best way out.  They have the fixed disc ready to ship, no reason to open up stock to change a disc, and $80 is about what we were all hoping the "fair" price would be.  Don't regret paying what I did though - you get so many new mixes, new tracks, ect., can't wait to get more details from the experts.  Any up-dates on that?  Last I heard was "by Christmas."  Some bitchin' from others, but I am happy with everything.  I do not collect too many boots, many of the tracks I'm hearing for the first time.  So don't have anything much to compare them to.  Every Beach Boys fan should get this.  Mark and Alan, and all involved did such a great, great job.  Their work with fine tuning these tracks, (and fixing stuff on last year's mono/stereo discs) and for what's to come...Well, they just deserve a BIG THANKS from us.  I still want more...my wallet's ready for Adult/Child, Wild Honey (I want all the tracks on one disc - even if it's a mixture of mono/stereo), and Friends and CATP-ST, (I got, and was pleased with what they did with SU and Sunflower last year), and and...
Bonus tracks all around!  Hope the problems don't put them, or the suits, off from giving us more.  Soon.  I'm just getting older.
« Last Edit: November 29, 2013, 10:34:51 AM by feelsflow » Logged

...if you are honest - you have no idea where childhood ends and maturity begins.  It is all endless and all one.  ~ P.L. Travers        And, let's get this out of the way now, everything I post is my opinion.  ~ Will
Lonely Summer
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #265 on: November 30, 2013, 11:06:12 PM »

I got MIC from a local library - best price ever. My tax dollars hard at work!
Dove Nested Towers
Smiley Smile Associate

Goodnight, Mrs. Calabash, wherever you are!

View Profile
« Reply #266 on: December 01, 2013, 12:34:21 AM »

[/quote

Irrelevant post.
« Last Edit: December 01, 2013, 11:48:02 PM by mutedtrumpeterswan » Logged

"The police aren't there to create disorder,
they're there to preserve disorder!" -Mayor
Daly, Chicago 1968
urbanite
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #267 on: December 01, 2013, 10:11:08 AM »

I've had the box (yearbook) for one day and it's awesome.  I wonder why some of these songs were not released years earlier, but better later than never.
Rich Panteluk
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #268 on: November 28, 2014, 06:28:44 AM »

If anyone still hasn't purchased this wonderful box set it is on sale at Amazon.ca for the cheapest it has ever been $71.92.  Free shipping in Canada.  You are welcome!  :-)

donald
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #269 on: November 29, 2014, 08:55:00 AM »

A must have at any price.  I don't regret buying it at initial release price.
gfx
Pages: 1 ... 6 7 8 9 10 [11] Go Up Print 
gfx
Jump to:  
gfx