gfxgfx

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
logo

gfx gfx
gfx
680756 Posts in 27615 Topics by 4068 Members - Latest Member: Dae Lims April 20, 2024, 03:58:22 PM
gfx*HomeHelpSearchCalendarLoginRegistergfx
gfxgfx
Pages: 1 ... 83 84 85 86 87 [88] 89 90 91 92 93 ... 112 Go Down Print
Author Topic: MiC up for order on Amazon, August release  (Read 440877 times)
SMiLE Brian
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #2175 on: July 22, 2013, 06:34:07 PM »

It's funny that the positive vibes toward Mike from some around here have led us to the point where we even have to handle trash like "Goin' To The Beach" with kid gloves. In my opinion, the whole, "it's fun, just enjoy it" thing is bullshit. You know what songs are fun? "Surfin' U.S.A." and "Little Deuce Coupe". And even for later Beach Boys, "Roller Skating Child". A song doesn't need to be a pathetic attempt at recapturing past glories to be an uptempo, cool, fun Beach Boys song. Unfortunately for Mike Love it usually has to be.
Agreed, Its a shame this box is being promoted by a freaking KTSA outtake. GTTB sounds like Mike wrote it in five minutes.

And production aside, I’d so much rather hear a 14 year old David Marks shred some guitar on Chug-a-lug than hear a 51 year old Mike Love sing about bangin some chick in a swimming pool.-rab2591
Nicko1234
« Reply #2176 on: July 22, 2013, 06:39:10 PM »

Agreed, Its a shame this box is being promoted by a freaking KTSA outtake. GTTB sounds like Mike wrote it in five minutes.

Realistically though what would be a better choice?

If they had picked Wouldn`t it be Nice to Live Again then people could have got it and cancelled their orders. As it is supposedly one of the most desirable tracks that woudn`t have been too smart. The same might be said for You`re Still a Mystery perhaps.

Most of the other unreleased songs are not very commercial.

I can`t see the big deal...
Rocky Raccoon
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #2177 on: July 22, 2013, 06:40:43 PM »

I think "Soul Searchin'" would be the best choice.

Nicko1234
« Reply #2178 on: July 22, 2013, 06:45:09 PM »

I think "Soul Searchin'" would be the best choice.

Yeah, they could do that. But as it`s only a song being given away by Amazon I don`t think it makes much difference right now.
Jeff
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #2179 on: July 22, 2013, 06:48:35 PM »

If they had picked Wouldn`t it be Nice to Live Again then people could have got it and cancelled their orders. As it is supposedly one of the most desirable tracks that woudn`t have been too smart. The same might be said for You`re Still a Mystery perhaps.

Yes, quite right.  The best way to market the set is to give people a track that no one really wants.  Brilliant.

Perhaps vendors of grocery products should do the same when they give out free samples.  Just offer people rancid or stale food for free, to make sure that no one takes advantage.
Nicko1234
« Reply #2180 on: July 22, 2013, 06:50:39 PM »

Yes, quite right.  The best way to market the set is to give people a track that no one really wants.  Brilliant.

Perhaps vendors of grocery products should do the same when they give out free samples.  Just offer people rancid or stale food for free, to make sure that no one takes advantage.

Speak for yourself.

Seems to me that several people on here like the song. Seems also that it has had a positive response when played on concert. Again though, what`s the big deal? It`s not like they`ve made a big music video for it and are ramming it down people`s throats.
« Last Edit: July 22, 2013, 06:52:03 PM by Nicko1234 » Logged
JohnMill
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #2181 on: July 22, 2013, 06:51:31 PM »

Goin' To The Beach With My Baby (Harmonies: Bay-Beeee)
For Her Love I Never Will Pine (Harmonies: Good Timin')
I'm Always A Lovin' For My Baby (Bruce: It's Mike Love!)
Forever Be My Baby All The Time (Harmonies: Summer Sunshine)

Until Cousin Brian And I Call A Truce (There Are No Harmonies Here Because Al Wouldn't Come In And Record His Part)
So I Keep Right On Cruising With My Baby (Harmonies: Little Deuce)
Never Gonna Turn My Girl Loose (Bruce: My Name Is Bruce!)

Middle Eight:

Oh My Baby Knows We're The Real Beach Boys
We Sing Kokomo & The Man With All The Toys!

And If My Girl And I Fell Apart  (Harmonies: A Bummer)
Then The Only Reunion's With My Baby (Bruce: Endless Summer)
My Baby Has All Of My Heart

Harmonies To Fade: AHHHHHHHHHHHHHH GOIN' TO THE BEACH FOREVER!

God Bless California
For It Marks My Faith To See
You're The Only State With The Sacred Honor
....to sink into the sea
rab2591
Smiley Smile Associate

"My God. It's full of stars."

View Profile
« Reply #2182 on: July 22, 2013, 06:51:53 PM »

Yes, quite right.  The best way to market the set is to give people a track that no one really wants.  Brilliant.

Perhaps vendors of grocery products should do the same when they give out free samples.  Just offer people rancid or stale food for free, to make sure that no one takes advantage.

I have to say, I'd've been a bit more inclined to submit an order (at it's current Amazon price), if the free track were WIBNTLA. I've been holding out for price reduction, but it probably would've tempted me enough Grin

Bill Tobelman's SMiLE site

God must’ve smiled the day Brian Wilson was born!

"ragegasm" - /rāj • ga-zəm/ : a logical mental response produced when your favorite band becomes remotely associated with the bro-country genre.

Ever want to hear some Beach Boys songs mashed up together like The Beatles' 'LOVE' album? Check out my mix!
FatherOfTheMan Sr101
Smiley Smile Associate

I made a game

View Profile
« Reply #2183 on: July 22, 2013, 06:51:58 PM »

There's a way to get the track without buying the whole box set.  Order it on Amazon, get the your order code, download the track, and then cancel your order.  You'll still have the mp3 afterwards.

I said that a while back haha...

runnersdialzero
Smiley Smile Associate

I WILL NEVER GO TO SCHOOL

View Profile
« Reply #2184 on: July 22, 2013, 06:55:55 PM »

I too initially thought "Promoting the box with 'Live Again' would be a bad move as it's giving people the most anticipated track right off the bat." But then, y'know, promoting something with one of the best new tracks on it is the logical thing to do to get people talking and bring in interest. I know not all Beach Boys fans know or would care for their heavier stuff like "Live Again" etc., thus both tracks would've been an okay move.

Then again, I'm not really sure "Goin' To The Beach" is really being used to promote the box. More of a freebie for pre-ordering the box, encouraging folks to buy it now instead of waiting for a better price etc.

Really, I don't see why box sets and even some albums see absolutely no promotion anymore. A sampler with a few tracks and a new "single" still gets people talking and surely brings in some sales and is not a wasted effort, right?

Tell me it's okay.
Tell me you still love me.
People make mistakes.
People make mistakes.
Jim V.
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #2185 on: July 22, 2013, 07:11:47 PM »

It's funny that the positive vibes toward Mike from some around here have led us to the point where we even have to handle trash like "Goin' To The Beach" with kid gloves. In my opinion, the whole, "it's fun, just enjoy it" thing is bullshit. You know what songs are fun? "Surfin' U.S.A." and "Little Deuce Coupe". And even for later Beach Boys, "Roller Skating Child". A song doesn't need to be a pathetic attempt at recapturing past glories to be an uptempo, cool, fun Beach Boys song. Unfortunately for Mike Love it usually has to be.

I don`t think people have to handle it with kid gloves. I think it`s just amusing that some people are expressing surprise at the subject matter despite it being called Goin to the Beach and the song having been up on youtube in various forms for years. Surely 95% of board members have been aware of this song for ages so the only question is how do the vocals and recording sound.

Totally valid points. I guess I was just hoping there'd be a surprising middle-eight or something. I was also kinda hoping for some rough sounding Brian vocals on the chorus (like how it sounded on the "Goin' Platinum" special). But whatever. It's always good to have anything new from The Beach Boys, even if it's nothing special.

I also gotta say though what shitty production Keepin' The Summer Alive has. This song would be so much better if it had just a bit of balls. Bruce oughta be embarrassed. And this coming after L.A. which in my opinion had a nice mellow California kinda sound.
drbeachboy
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #2186 on: July 22, 2013, 07:34:43 PM »

It's a fun song with a rocking track and some good vocals. That's basically what I expected Tongue

Christ guys, it's called "Goin' to the Beach" by a band called "The Beach Boys" I don't think it was meant to be pure genius Tongue
I guess that depends on which Beach Boys version you like best. The Pet Sounds/Smile Brian genius or the Fun in the sun/Summer in Paradise Mike version.
So, Mike wrote this all by himself? Hey, I also remember a genius named Brian writing something called Some Of Your Love around that time frame. I don't get the smart ass remarks. Brian has written his share of repetitive lyric songs.

Hmmm.   Perhaps the smart ass remarks are from fans hoping that the marketing for a career-spanning box set would show the band as something other than the fun-in-the-sun equivalent of the Archies.

It looks like there’s a lot of good unreleased material on there, but for the first released track, they’re choosing a rejected song from a one-star album, probably because it was the only remaining unused song they could find with the word “beach” in it.

But then why would anyone be surprised?  The Beach Boys have always been marketed as lightweights, and there’s no reason to think that will stop now.

Sorry to wake you up, but you do know that a decent amount and most famous is what you call "Fun in the Sun" music. Why do some of you continue to deny this fact? It is what made the Beach Boys, well, The Beach Boys. It amazes me that you treat it so lightly. Brian wrote every single fun in the sun hit. Their biggest hits are fun in the sun. Their first and second Hey Days were due to fun in the sun hits. Even their biggest hits after their sun in the sun period, are now part of the fun in the sun hits at The Beach Boys and BAD shows. Look through Brian's set list the last two nights and see how many fun in the sun songs were played, and have been played since he started touring in 1999. I love all the eras or periods of music, but one thing I never do is dimiss the part that made me a fan in the first place.
« Last Edit: July 22, 2013, 07:38:43 PM by drbeachboy » Logged

The Brianista Prayer

Oh Brian
Thou Art In Hawthorne,
Harmonied Be Thy name
Your Kingdom Come,
Your Steak Well Done,
On Stage As It Is In Studio,
Give Us This Day, Our Shortenin' Bread
And Forgive Us Our Bootlegs,
As We Also Have Forgiven Our Wife And Managers,
And Lead Us Not Into Kokomo,
But Deliver Us From Mike Love.
Amen.  ---hypehat
Shady
Smiley Smile Associate

I had to fix a lot of things this morning

View Profile
« Reply #2187 on: July 22, 2013, 07:46:07 PM »

wow, The Beach Boys have a new song called "Goin To The Beach", I'll pre-order that box set for 160 dollars to hear it  Grin
« Last Edit: July 22, 2013, 08:11:11 PM by Shady's Big Chance » Logged

According to someone who would know.

Seriously, there was a Beach Boys Love You condom?!  Amazing.
Nicko1234
« Reply #2188 on: July 22, 2013, 07:58:33 PM »

wow, The Beach Boys have a new song called "Goin To The Beach Boys", I'll pre-order that box set for 160 dollars to hear it  Grin

Well, whichever song they allowed people to hear would have been unlikely to lead to a massive increase in orders unless the price goes down. People can and should cancel their Amazon orders if they can find the box cheaper elsewhere.

Also, why does the name of the song matter? To the general public (and we have often been told that this box is intended for them as well) the fun in the sun image isn`t a problem at all and is actually seen as a positive for the group. Kokomo went to number one after all. It`s only the hardcore who seem to have an issue with it.
Jeff
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #2189 on: July 22, 2013, 08:18:38 PM »

It's a fun song with a rocking track and some good vocals. That's basically what I expected Tongue

Christ guys, it's called "Goin' to the Beach" by a band called "The Beach Boys" I don't think it was meant to be pure genius Tongue
I guess that depends on which Beach Boys version you like best. The Pet Sounds/Smile Brian genius or the Fun in the sun/Summer in Paradise Mike version.
So, Mike wrote this all by himself? Hey, I also remember a genius named Brian writing something called Some Of Your Love around that time frame. I don't get the smart ass remarks. Brian has written his share of repetitive lyric songs.

Hmmm.   Perhaps the smart ass remarks are from fans hoping that the marketing for a career-spanning box set would show the band as something other than the fun-in-the-sun equivalent of the Archies.

It looks like there’s a lot of good unreleased material on there, but for the first released track, they’re choosing a rejected song from a one-star album, probably because it was the only remaining unused song they could find with the word “beach” in it.

But then why would anyone be surprised?  The Beach Boys have always been marketed as lightweights, and there’s no reason to think that will stop now.

Sorry to wake you up, but you do know that a decent amount and most famous is what you call "Fun in the Sun" music. Why do some of you continue to deny this fact? It is what made the Beach Boys, well, The Beach Boys. It amazes me that you treat it so lightly. Brian wrote every single fun in the sun hit. Their biggest hits are fun in the sun. Their first and second Hey Days were due to fun in the sun hits. Even their biggest hits after their sun in the sun period, are now part of the fun in the sun hits at The Beach Boys and BAD shows. Look through Brian's set list the last two nights and see how many fun in the sun songs were played, and have been played since he started touring in 1999. I love all the eras or periods of music, but one thing I never do is dimiss the part that made me a fan in the first place.

Not sure what has happened to this place.  A name change certainly is in order.  No more "Smiley Smile," it should instead be Keepin' the Summer Alive or Still Cruisin' I guess.

The sad thing is that these marketing efforts and the insistence of so many "fans" that the Beach Boys are nothing more than a beachy novelty act makes it quite a bit harder for others to discover the band.  Even more sadly, in 20 years or so, the band is likely to be all but forgotten because the fun/sun crowd will be gone, and no one else will know any better.
Nicko1234
« Reply #2190 on: July 22, 2013, 08:25:33 PM »

Not sure what has happened to this place.  A name change certainly is in order.  No more "Smiley Smile," it should instead be Keepin' the Summer Alive or Still Cruisin' I guess.

The sad thing is that these marketing efforts and the insistence of so many "fans" that the Beach Boys are nothing more than a beachy novelty act makes it quite a bit harder for others to discover the band.  Even more sadly, in 20 years or so, the band is likely to be all but forgotten because the fun/sun crowd will be gone, and no one else will know any better.

What marketing efforts? Do you seriously think that Amazon giving one song away is going to change the image that the group has one way or another? And you honestly think the group will be forgotten in 20 years based on anything like this?  LOL

Wasn`t Smile released only recently? Doesn`t the box contain a mix of fun in the sun stuff (which is an essential part of their career) and the more arty stuff?

Jeez...
pixletwin
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #2191 on: July 22, 2013, 08:33:20 PM »

wow, The Beach Boys have a new song called "Goin To The Beach", I'll pre-order that box set for 160 dollars to hear it  Grin

I lol'd outloud. teehee.  Tongue
alf wiedersehen
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #2192 on: July 22, 2013, 08:35:44 PM »

You're assertion to change the name of this website is asinine. Simply because people admit to liking a Mike Love song and giving credence to the band's past? We should all applaud their early work. It's what made them popular, it brought them into the public consciousness, and it's probably what gave Brian the confidence to experiment so much. I'm sure without those early records, it would be a completely different band than the one you've come to love.

I like the "Goin' to the Beach" song. I don't think it's simply the greatest song ever written, but it's enjoyable. It's fun. Not everything has to be serious and ground-breaking. However, that's not to say that I like Mike more than I like Brian. I love Brian and his songs. They are indelible and touching.

You must remember that Mike Love was also a part of The Beach Boys. And, that's the band we're here to discuss, warts and all.
Jeff
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #2193 on: July 22, 2013, 08:39:40 PM »

What marketing efforts? Do you seriously think that Amazon giving one song away is going to change the image that the group has one way or another? And you honestly think the group will be forgotten in 20 years based on anything like this?  LOL

Wasn`t Smile released only recently? Doesn`t the box contain a mix of fun in the sun stuff (which is an essential part of their career) and the more arty stuff?

Jeez...

I suppose all of that is true.  But it just seems like things have shifted.  With the Smile Sessions having been released, there is understandably a lot less discussion about Smile.  Bambu - same thing.  Many of the bands that were explicitly Beach Boys inspired, like Apples in Stereo, have moved on to other sounds.

And as Jim said, it's become difficult to say an unkind word about even the worst novelty lowpoint without people jumping to the defense of said song.  I've actually tried it a couple of times, and it's almost instantaneous.  A couple of weeks ago, I threw out Pitter Patter as a random example of a true lowpoint, and sure enough, its defenders jumped right in within minutes.

Makes it tough to be optimistic about the future.
Wirestone
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #2194 on: July 22, 2013, 08:42:41 PM »

Jeff speaks the truth. Recent attempt by Kokomaoists to deny the band's legacy as a truly adventurous and groundbreaking group are deeply embarrassing.
SMiLE Brian
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #2195 on: July 22, 2013, 08:48:09 PM »

I think the pendulum has swung too far in Mike's favor. The novelty surf and nostalgia material after 1968 mostly killed the band's reputation.

And production aside, I’d so much rather hear a 14 year old David Marks shred some guitar on Chug-a-lug than hear a 51 year old Mike Love sing about bangin some chick in a swimming pool.-rab2591
Gertie J.
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #2196 on: July 22, 2013, 08:52:15 PM »

oh lord oh jesus christ..

dj, blogger, and hanger-on
SurfRiderHawaii
Smiley Smile Associate

Add Some Music to your day!

View Profile
« Reply #2197 on: July 22, 2013, 08:54:04 PM »

I think the pendulum has swung too far in Mike's favor. The novelty surf and nostalgia material after 1968 mostly killed the band's reputation.
Quite true. Sadly.

"Brian is The Beach Boys. He is the band. We're his f***ing messengers. He is all of it. Period. We're nothing. He's everything" - Dennis Wilson
Nicko1234
« Reply #2198 on: July 22, 2013, 08:55:33 PM »

I suppose all of that is true.  But it just seems like things have shifted.  With the Smile Sessions having been released, there is understandably a lot less discussion about Smile.  Bambu - same thing.  Many of the bands that were explicitly Beach Boys inspired, like Apples in Stereo, have moved on to other sounds.

And as Jim said, it's become difficult to say an unkind word about even the worst novelty lowpoint without people jumping to the defense of said song.  I've actually tried it a couple of times, and it's almost instantaneous.  A couple of weeks ago, I threw out Pitter Patter as a random example of a true lowpoint, and sure enough, its defenders jumped right in within minutes.

Makes it tough to be optimistic about the future.

When you say `jumping to the defense` do you actually mean giving their own opinions?

You see in this thread there are people who like and dislike Goin to the Beach. Isn`t that the way it should be on a message board. I haven`t seen anybody saying, `how dare you knock this song`. Just because you dislike it doesn`t mean everybody else should.

As for Pitter Patter, I think it`s one of the best songs on MIU (a relative judgment) but it doesn`t bother me that you don`t like it. So why should you be bothered by people how do like it?

Most importantly nobody has said that Goin to the Beach is better than the Pet Sounds or Sunflower material for example. I`m glad it`s included on the box as it is an unreleased song and it has led to Mike and Bruce adding another rarity to the setlist. But its inclusion in no way threatens the other material.
SurfRiderHawaii
Smiley Smile Associate

Add Some Music to your day!

View Profile
« Reply #2199 on: July 22, 2013, 08:56:50 PM »

Jeff speaks the truth. Recent attempt by Kokomaoists to deny the band's legacy as a truly adventurous and groundbreaking group are deeply embarrassing.
Speaking of Kokomaoists  Grin AGD is oddly silent. Wonder if he got banned again?

"Brian is The Beach Boys. He is the band. We're his f***ing messengers. He is all of it. Period. We're nothing. He's everything" - Dennis Wilson
gfx
Pages: 1 ... 83 84 85 86 87 [88] 89 90 91 92 93 ... 112 Go Up Print 
gfx
Jump to:  
gfx