gfxgfx

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
logo

gfx gfx
gfx
681220 Posts in 27630 Topics by 4067 Members - Latest Member: Dae Lims May 29, 2024, 04:39:19 AM
gfx*HomeHelpSearchCalendarLoginRegistergfx
gfxgfx
Pages: 1 ... 52 53 54 55 56 [57] 58 59 60 61 62 ... 112 Go Down Print
Author Topic: MiC up for order on Amazon, August release  (Read 444479 times)
The Shift
Smiley Smile Associate

Biding time

View Profile
« Reply #1400 on: June 19, 2013, 10:12:17 PM »

This is starting to get ugly. It's a shame that the topic announcing that we can now pre-order the box set might have to be closed simply because a few people here don't know how to act like adults.

Nicely put Jay. I hope things get more courteous and friendly.

“We live in divisive times.”
Iron Horse-Apples
« Reply #1401 on: June 19, 2013, 11:42:05 PM »

I hope things get more courteous and friendly.

LOL
runnersdialzero
Smiley Smile Associate

I WILL NEVER GO TO SCHOOL

View Profile
« Reply #1402 on: June 20, 2013, 12:08:03 AM »

santa claus suck my balls drunk as hell ringing bells at the malls dasncer prancer nixon and cupid imma get stupid hahaha uh

Tell me it's okay.
Tell me you still love me.
People make mistakes.
People make mistakes.
The Shift
Smiley Smile Associate

Biding time

View Profile
« Reply #1403 on: June 20, 2013, 12:51:10 AM »

I hope things get more courteous and friendly.

LOL

Angry Jedi Duel Ninja Computer Smash! Ahhh! Pirate

“We live in divisive times.”
Disney Boy (1985)
« Reply #1404 on: June 20, 2013, 12:52:35 AM »

Don't worry Andrew, I understood exactly what you meant. I'd recommend in future just not bothering.

Wipe that brown sh*t off your nose.

The guy takes a little time to highlight a few songs on the MIC track-list to create a little food for thought and next thing half the board is tearing his head off. It was just totally uncalled for. Yeah AGD can be grumpy/aggressive at times - I fail to see how copying him achieves anything? Is no one aware of the saying 'he who loses his temper loses the argument'.

Or to put it in a way you'll perhaps better understand: f*** off, you twat.
Mike's Beard
Smiley Smile Associate

Check your privilege. Love & Mercy guys!

View Profile
« Reply #1405 on: June 20, 2013, 01:09:33 AM »

Who the f*** is this John Q Public guy anyway and why are Capitol so desperate for him to buy their new boxed set?

I'd rather be forced to sleep with Caitlyn Jenner then ever have to listen to NPP again.
Iron Horse-Apples
« Reply #1406 on: June 20, 2013, 01:15:23 AM »

santa claus suck my balls drunk as hell ringing bells at the malls dasncer prancer nixon and cupid imma get stupid hahaha uh

Thanks Runners, you phrased what I wanted to say so much more perfectly than I ever could have done. When things we getting aggressive on here, we can always rely on you for some much needed wisdom.
Micha
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile WWW
« Reply #1407 on: June 20, 2013, 01:23:25 AM »

Don't worry Andrew, I understood exactly what you meant. I'd recommend in future just not bothering.

The guy takes a little time to highlight a few songs on the MIC track-list to create a little food for thought and next thing half the board is tearing his head off. It was just totally uncalled for. Yeah AGD can be grumpy/aggressive at times - I fail to see how copying him achieves anything? Is no one aware of the saying 'he who loses his temper loses the argument'.

Just looked up the word "twat". While reading that in AGDs posts for months I figured it was some kind of insult. But the translation made me go "oops!"

Ceterum censeo SMiLEBrianum OSDumque esse excludendos banno.
Iron Horse-Apples
« Reply #1408 on: June 20, 2013, 01:27:31 AM »

Just looked up the word "twat". While reading that in AGDs posts for months I figured it was some kind of insult. But the translation made me go "oops!"

Often confused with the more innocuous "twit". Another seemingly innocuous one is "berk", which is actually cockney rhyming slang - "Berkshire  Hunt"  And we're full circle...
Dunderhead
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #1409 on: June 20, 2013, 01:46:15 AM »

Who the f*** is this John Q Public guy anyway and why are Capitol so desperate for him to buy their new boxed set?

I think he's related to Nobody, the Well-Known

TEAM COHEN; OFFICIAL CAPTAIN (2013-)
Micha
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile WWW
« Reply #1410 on: June 20, 2013, 01:54:36 AM »

Often confused with the more innocuous "twit". Another seemingly innocuous one is "berk", which is actually cockney rhyming slang - "Berkshire  Hunt"  And we're full circle...

You mean it rhymes on the famous German philosopher Kant?

Ceterum censeo SMiLEBrianum OSDumque esse excludendos banno.
Mendota Heights
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #1411 on: June 20, 2013, 01:56:32 AM »

And also on the name Mike Hunt.

I have been dubbed Mr. Pet Sounds and Mr. Country Love by polite and honored board member Smile Brian. I hope I live up to those esteemed titles.
Disney Boy (1985)
« Reply #1412 on: June 20, 2013, 02:02:57 AM »

Often confused with the more innocuous "twit". Another seemingly innocuous one is "berk", which is actually cockney rhyming slang - "Berkshire  Hunt"  And we're full circle...

Twat meaning fanny. Hang on, in America doesn't fanny mean arse? Yes. Thought so. Ok then, twat meaning p*ssy. Now we're clear. (See also: Twat meaning minge. Twat meaning quim. Twat meaning front bottom. Twat meaning beef curtains. Twat meaning lady garden. Twat meaning axe wound. You get the idea...)

NB I can't believe they censor p*ssy. What if I was just talking about my cat? That Bergunwhitemoustache-what-ever-he's-called said the C word earlier and they didn't bother censoring that at all. Priorities people, please...
« Last Edit: June 20, 2013, 02:06:06 AM by Disney Boy (1985) » Logged
runnersdialzero
Smiley Smile Associate

I WILL NEVER GO TO SCHOOL

View Profile
« Reply #1413 on: June 20, 2013, 02:26:41 AM »

you NITWIT

Tell me it's okay.
Tell me you still love me.
People make mistakes.
People make mistakes.
AndrewHickey
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #1414 on: June 20, 2013, 02:42:06 AM »

you NITWIT

Now that's just going too far!

The Smiley Smile ignore function: http://andrewhickey.info/the-smiley-smile-ignore-button-sort-of/
Most recent update 03/12/15
Nicko1234
« Reply #1415 on: June 20, 2013, 02:45:37 AM »

Except that that isn't true at all.

After his post Andrew Hickey, Lee Dempsey and another poster simply asked if he meant that those songs were unreleased or different versions. Then AGD responds with his, 'FFS is everybody terminally stupid' comment. His post was daft and didn't make any sense.
Fire Wind
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #1416 on: June 20, 2013, 03:01:06 AM »

Seems to me the box is for the semi-serious music fan who wants to move beyond the greatest hits and PS/SMile.  For many, the next step from there really isn't taking a full leap into buying all the albums, which, thinking back to more virginal days, seems like rather a large and daunting commitment.  People still generally don't expect to find much quality on the Pre-PS albums, barring the hits, and are still largely ignorant of the post-Smile albums.  A box set can correct them here, like the GV box probably did for many.

A semi-serious music fan can be expected to own many Beatles albums, probably all of them.  That's not really the case with The Beach Boys.  A halfway spot is needed.   Sure, they'll give some new rarities for the hardcore fans, but that's ultimately by-the-by.  They're probably thinking about sales for the next twenty-thirty years or so, purchased by new, incoming Beach Boys fans, not just how many hardcore fans will pick this up on the day of release.

I still can taste the ocean breeze...
AndrewHickey
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #1417 on: June 20, 2013, 03:18:05 AM »

Seems to me the box is for the semi-serious music fan who wants to move beyond the greatest hits and PS/SMile.  For many, the next step from there really isn't taking a full leap into buying all the albums, which, thinking back to more virginal days, seems like rather a large and daunting commitment.  People still generally don't expect to find much quality on the Pre-PS albums, barring the hits, and are still largely ignorant of the post-Smile albums.  A box set can correct them here, like the GV box probably did for many.

A semi-serious music fan can be expected to own many Beatles albums, probably all of them.  That's not really the case with The Beach Boys.  A halfway spot is needed.   Sure, they'll give some new rarities for the hardcore fans, but that's ultimately by-the-by.  They're probably thinking about sales for the next twenty-thirty years or so, purchased by new, incoming Beach Boys fans, not just how many hardcore fans will pick this up on the day of release.

Exactly. There are a *lot* of people who only own a copy of Pet Sounds and a hits CD, and want to know if there's anything else as good out there. Even if this box *is* as expensive as buying all the albums from Surfin' Safari through Love You, it will have the big advantage to those people of *not containing all the filler*.

It's for people who would appreciate hearing In The Back Of My Mind but have no desire to ever hear Bull Session With The "Big Daddy", who might like Baby Blue but wouldn't want a ten minute disco version of Here Comes The Night -- saying "here's all (or almost all) the good stuff in one place. We've done the filtering work so you don't have to."

Exactly as the GV box was.

The Smiley Smile ignore function: http://andrewhickey.info/the-smiley-smile-ignore-button-sort-of/
Iron Horse-Apples
« Reply #1418 on: June 20, 2013, 03:36:30 AM »

Yes, and with some unreleased stuff thrown in to keep the uberfans happy.

There, we've sorted it in under 60 pages. Result!
Nicko1234
« Reply #1419 on: June 20, 2013, 04:00:35 AM »

If it weren't for the price then I would agree with you. But aside from the fabulously wealthy, most music fans would be better off buying the Warmth of the Sun and if they still want more a few of the best twofers. they could save themselves a fortune.
Jonathan Blum
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #1420 on: June 20, 2013, 04:12:08 AM »

Yup -- that's what I said about 15 pages and umpteen snide comments back.  It's a one-stop Beach Boys shop for those who want to go deeper than the Greatest Hits, maybe have the one (now two) albums that get the best press, but don't really know where to go from there.

Someone who's interested in collecting the Beatles has about five or six obvious next-step albums after the Greatest Hits -- the ones you'll find in any Rolling-Stone-style best-albums list.  And there's only about a dozen albums to go for all told.  The Beach Boys?  Nearly thirty to choose from, none of which are really obvious collectors' targets (at first glance) beyond the most famous two.  Until you get the box set, and realise you love all the "Sunflower" tracks, or the "Today" ones, etc etc.  That's what happened for me.

Or to put it another way:  it's not just for us nutbags who have 48 copies of "Barbara Ann".  It's for the guys who've got one or two.

(Oh, and me?  After 15 years of being a Beach Boys fan, I've got two copies each of "Barbara Ann" and "Kokomo":  the random Greatest Hits I first bought them on, and the '93 box set.  (ETA:  plus the live "Barbara Ann" from Knebworth, I missed that.)  Because I'm not fricking stupid, and I'm willing to buy just the tracks I want from a new Greatest Hits online.  If you're honked off cause you'd be buying "Barbara Ann" for the 37th time?  Look at your *last* 35 choices, way more than this one...)

Cheers,
Jon Blum
Nicko1234
« Reply #1421 on: June 20, 2013, 04:14:03 AM »

Exactly. There are a *lot* of people who only own a copy of Pet Sounds and a hits CD, and want to know if there's anything else as good out there. Even if this box *is* as expensive as buying all the albums from Surfin' Safari through Love You, it will have the big advantage to those people of *not containing all the filler*.

It's for people who would appreciate hearing In The Back Of My Mind but have no desire to ever hear Bull Session With The "Big Daddy", who might like Baby Blue but wouldn't want a ten minute disco version of Here Comes The Night -- saying "here's all (or almost all) the good stuff in one place. We've done the filtering work so you don't have to."

Exactly as the GV box was.

To some extent perhaps. But there is still filler on here imo and getting this box would in way give the buyer all of the essential songs.

The GV box was about Smile being released and the fact that some of those 70s songs were unavailable at the time.
drbeachboy
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #1422 on: June 20, 2013, 04:22:02 AM »

One thing that I find in here, if someone doesn't like or agree with something, no amount of fact or truth means anything, unless it ties to their own opinion. I know one thing, I am done discussing this topic.

The Brianista Prayer

Oh Brian
Thou Art In Hawthorne,
Harmonied Be Thy name
Your Kingdom Come,
Your Steak Well Done,
On Stage As It Is In Studio,
Give Us This Day, Our Shortenin' Bread
And Forgive Us Our Bootlegs,
As We Also Have Forgiven Our Wife And Managers,
And Lead Us Not Into Kokomo,
But Deliver Us From Mike Love.
Amen.  ---hypehat
Nicko1234
« Reply #1423 on: June 20, 2013, 04:25:21 AM »

One thing that I find in here, if someone doesn't like or agree with something, no amount of fact or truth means anything, unless it ties to their own opinion. I know one thing, I am done discussing this topic.

That depends on how factual and all encompassing those facts are surely.
AndrewHickey
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #1424 on: June 20, 2013, 04:38:58 AM »

To some extent perhaps. But there is still filler on here imo and getting this box would in way give the buyer all of the essential songs.

I think we must be using different definitions of "essential". Obviously I'm the kind of person who can find value in a lot of the less objectively-good stuff, but realistically I'd say that at most there are a hundred or so "essential" Beach Boys records -- things that matter either artistically, for their value to the band's history, or commercially.

If I were to make a list of those hundred, *at least* ninety would be on the box. The only ones I can think of that I'd include on such a list but which aren't on here are Don't Talk, the Smiley Wind Chimes, Still I Dream Of It and Then I Kissed Her, She Knows Me Too Well, and if we're including unreleased tracks Carry Me Home. And most of those would be at the low end of the list, the more debatable ones.

The GV box was about Smile being released and the fact that some of those 70s songs were unavailable at the time.

Those things *among others*. Certainly I bought it (and apparently Jon Blum did too) because I wanted "to get all the good stuff" after I'd picked up Pet Sounds, Endless Summer, the Smiley/Wild Honey twofer and Brian's first solo album...

gfx
Pages: 1 ... 52 53 54 55 56 [57] 58 59 60 61 62 ... 112 Go Up Print 
gfx
Jump to:  
gfx