gfxgfx

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
logo

gfx gfx
gfx
681508 Posts in 27639 Topics by 4082 Members - Latest Member: briansclub June 09, 2024, 05:01:58 PM
gfx*HomeHelpSearchCalendarLoginRegistergfx
gfxgfx
Pages: 1 ... 50 51 52 53 54 [55] 56 57 58 59 60 ... 112 Go Down Print
Author Topic: MiC up for order on Amazon, August release  (Read 445399 times)
Andrew G. Doe
Smiley Smile Associate

The triumph of The Hickey Script !

View Profile WWW
« Reply #1350 on: June 19, 2013, 12:53:53 PM »

Why wait ? Do it now - as has been pointed out here by far more knowledgeable fans than I, it's two-thirds hits anyway, so obviously no need to actually listen to it.
Seriously?

Alright Doe.  I'm tired of this... as probably everyone is.  But.. I compute it's 38% new to fans -- and 62% not new to fans.  Right?  I'm happy to be wrong on that.  It's going off of your latest highlighted list.  Thank you for that by the way.

I never said I was more knowledgeable than you on Beach Boys or MIC-related matters.  If you're "close" to the project or whatever -- that's great.  But, the fact remains, it's over priced for what I want.  It doesn't have some things I did want.  And now... who knows when I, ME, or WE will get those.

Not everyone here (and elsewhere) is towing the line on this.  I'm guessing (just guessing) -- but I, ME, WE are in the majority and you're in the minority since, I assume, most fans don't hang out here, posting their reaction.  The fact that a lot of folks who actually do post here are less than ankle-grabbing over the price-to-new ratio, ought to be cause for reflection -- rather than the snarky insults and insulated calls to "just don't buy it then."

I'm bummed a little, BECAUSE I'm a fan and I want the unreleased stuff on here.  For Pete's sake I've bought all the twofers, remasters -- and the comps, just to get the nuggets therein.  Yes, the nugget ratio is actually good here compared to those comps.  But, I'm not gonna be your punching bag for pointing out that it's still 2/3* of a re-buy for a very elitist price.

*5/8

Sarcasm not your strong suit, is it ?  Grin

The four sweetest words in my vocabulary: "This poster is ignored".
Nicko1234
« Reply #1351 on: June 19, 2013, 12:54:59 PM »

Oh, FFS, has everyone here had a sudden attack of the terminal stupids ??

OK, in basic English - the tracks I highlighted will be totally new to that mythical creature, The Man In The Street - the one who doesn't have every last album and single the band released, and roughly five times as many boots. Not the likes of us.

Only you. Were you dragged up?

Do you honestly believe that the man in the street has all of the twofers and the GV box set but couldn't possible have Summer Love Songs or Endless Harmony?
pixletwin
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #1352 on: June 19, 2013, 12:56:41 PM »

OK, in basic English - the tracks I highlighted will be totally new to that mythical creature, The Man In The Street - the one who doesn't have every last album and single the band released, and roughly five times as many boots. Not the likes of us.

Such a person wouldn't buy this set in the first place.

Not true. There are more than a few of us who were casual fans that were brought into the hardcore fold after hearing the GV boxset. So this set will likely prove another gateway for others to join our nutty ranks.  Grin
shelter
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #1353 on: June 19, 2013, 12:57:34 PM »

No offense, but that list does seem kind of random to me. Soulful Old Man Sunshine, Fallin' In Love and Sail Plain Song (which are all on widely available official compilation CDs) are new to "John Q. Public", but There Hearts Were Full Of Spring, We're Together Again and Celebrate The News aren't?
Andrew G. Doe
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile WWW
« Reply #1354 on: June 19, 2013, 12:58:07 PM »

Do you honestly believe that the man in the street has all of the twofers and the GV box set but couldn't possible have Summer Love Songs or Endless Harmony?

I refer you to post 1346 in this thread.

Nicko1234
« Reply #1355 on: June 19, 2013, 01:01:17 PM »

I refer you to post 1346 in this thread.

But the fan that you refer to would also be unfamiliar with all of the album tracks over the years so why not highlight them too? As another poster said, a random list.
Andrew G. Doe
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile WWW
« Reply #1356 on: June 19, 2013, 01:02:07 PM »

No offense, but that list does seem kind of random to me. Soulful Old Man Sunshine, Fallin' In Love and Sail Plain Song (which are all on widely available official compilation CDs) are new to "John Q. Public", but There Hearts Were Full Of Spring, We're Together Again and Celebrate The News aren't?

Not checked recently, but I don't think Endless Harmony or Summer Love Songs are still in print (granted, they're up on Spotify), but two of the other three tracks are on the 1993 box, which is still readily available and has been these last 20 years.

Nicko1234
« Reply #1357 on: June 19, 2013, 01:04:22 PM »

Not checked recently, but I don't think Endless Harmony or Summer Love Songs are still in print (granted, they're up on Spotify), but two of the other three tracks are on the 1993 box, which is still readily available and has been these last 20 years.

How can a member of John Q. Public (who in your words owns maybe Sounds of Summer and Pet Sounds) also own the GV box set and the 15BO/LY and MIU/LA twofers among other things?
« Last Edit: June 20, 2013, 02:37:05 AM by Nicko1234 » Logged
shelter
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #1358 on: June 19, 2013, 01:06:23 PM »

Not checked recently, but I don't think Endless Harmony or Summer Love Songs are still in print
I just checked the two websites I usually order my CDs from (bol.com and wowhd.com) and they're still offering new copies of both CDs. And I still see both in record stores all the time, probably more often than any of the 2fers.
Bean Bag
Smiley Smile Associate

Right?

View Profile
« Reply #1359 on: June 19, 2013, 01:12:33 PM »

Frankly, in this day n' age -- I'd be surprised to learn if John Q is the "target" for any physical media.  Box sets, especially.  Percentage, yes -- but "target?"

If it is, I would be surprised.

drbeachboy
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #1360 on: June 19, 2013, 01:15:57 PM »

Frankly, in this day n' age -- I'd be surprised to learn if John Q is the "target" for any physical media.  Box sets, especially.  Percentage, yes -- but "target?"

If it is, I would be surprised.
You guys are hard-heads. It's not about how you see it, but how Capitol and their people see it. Right or wrong, that is how it is done. The GV Box did pretty well, so they can't be completely wrong about who they are targeting.

The Brianista Prayer

Oh Brian
Thou Art In Hawthorne,
Harmonied Be Thy name
Your Kingdom Come,
Your Steak Well Done,
On Stage As It Is In Studio,
Give Us This Day, Our Shortenin' Bread
And Forgive Us Our Bootlegs,
As We Also Have Forgiven Our Wife And Managers,
And Lead Us Not Into Kokomo,
But Deliver Us From Mike Love.
Amen.  ---hypehat
Nicko1234
« Reply #1361 on: June 19, 2013, 01:18:45 PM »

You guys are hard-heads. It's not about how you see it, but how Capitol and their people see it. Right or wrong, that is how it is done. The GV Box did pretty well, so they can't be completely wrong about who they are targeting.

Bean Bag is right when he says they are a percentage though isn't he? You don't include a disc of rarities and a collectors book which pushes the price up to target John Q Public after all.
drbeachboy
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #1362 on: June 19, 2013, 01:23:41 PM »

Bean Bag is right when he says they are a percentage though isn't he? You don't include a disc of rarities and a collectors book which pushes the price up to target John Q Public after all.
No, and you don't include 3 discs of hits and album cuts to hardcores either, now do you? As for the book, I see for both equally. This is geared towards both, rightly or wrongly.

The Brianista Prayer

Oh Brian
Thou Art In Hawthorne,
Harmonied Be Thy name
Your Kingdom Come,
Your Steak Well Done,
Amen.  ---hypehat
bonnevillemariner
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #1363 on: June 19, 2013, 01:24:39 PM »

John Q Public doesn't own any physical Beach Boys media at all.  He has a Spotify playlist and a total of 20 individual tracks he's culled together from various pre-Smile albums for .99 on iTunes.
MBE
« Reply #1364 on: June 19, 2013, 01:30:31 PM »

John Q Public doesn't own any physical Beach Boys media at all.  He has a Spotify playlist and a total of 20 individual tracks he's culled together from various pre-Smile albums for .99 on iTunes.
Is everyone under 30?
Bean Bag
Smiley Smile Associate

Right?

View Profile
« Reply #1365 on: June 19, 2013, 01:30:52 PM »

No, and you don't include 3 discs of hits and album cuts to hardcores either, now do you? As for the book, I see for both equally. This is geared towards both, rightly or wrongly.

You would think.  But Capitol could do it to pad out the set to six discs and drive up the cost.  I'm just saying...
« Last Edit: June 19, 2013, 01:32:00 PM by Bean Bag » Logged

The Shift
Smiley Smile Associate

Biding time

View Profile
« Reply #1366 on: June 19, 2013, 01:31:27 PM »

John Q Public doesn't own any physical Beach Boys media at all.  He has a Spotify playlist and a total of 20 individual tracks he's culled together from various pre-Smile albums for .99 on iTunes.

John Q Public doesn't own any physical Beach Boys media at all.  He has a Spotify playlist and a total of 20 individual tracks he's culled together from various Now That's what I Call Music compilations for .99 on iTunes.

He's never heard of the Beach Boys.

“We live in divisive times.”
Bean Bag
Smiley Smile Associate

Right?

View Profile
« Reply #1367 on: June 19, 2013, 01:32:39 PM »

Is everyone under 30?
18 - 45  LOL

drbeachboy
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #1368 on: June 19, 2013, 01:36:27 PM »

Is everyone under 30?
18 - 45  LOL
Oh, so the rest of us above that age bracket doesn't exist on this Earth? Who the F do you think is buying and able to afford this box set? Surely not the 18-25 age bracket pissing and moaning about it in here.
« Last Edit: June 19, 2013, 01:38:03 PM by drbeachboy » Logged

The Brianista Prayer

Oh Brian
Thou Art In Hawthorne,
Harmonied Be Thy name
Your Kingdom Come,
Your Steak Well Done,
Amen.  ---hypehat
Disney Boy (1985)
« Reply #1369 on: June 19, 2013, 01:36:45 PM »

Don't worry Andrew, I understood exactly what you meant. I'd recommend in future just not bothering.
Mahalo
Smiley Smile Associate

..Stand back, Speak normally

View Profile
« Reply #1370 on: June 19, 2013, 01:43:02 PM »

In today's economic climate, it might not be as enticing for JOHN Q. PUBIC to drop that kind of dinero on BB material---- only the wackos like me who will be losing sleep, starting a lemonade stand, and having people pay me not to sing, who will be considering to drop this kind of cash down.

These ears are not virgin to those amazing songs the way they were at one time.... but they ain't never heard the possible extra verses to Meant For You, a capella TWW, or WIBNTLA either. These are the moments that I live for. Even as obsessive as so many of us are, isn't it amazing how we are having second thoughts because of certain financial demands...

Bean Bag
Smiley Smile Associate

Right?

View Profile
« Reply #1371 on: June 19, 2013, 01:43:31 PM »

Is everyone under 30?
18 - 45  LOL
Oh, so the rest of us above that age bracket doesn't exist on this Earth? Who the F do you think is buying and able to afford this box set? Surely not the 18-25 age bracket pissing and moaning about it in here.
Do people above 45 not exist... hmmm.  I don't know, I never thought about it.   As for complaining, stereo-typically I thought complaining accelerated in the higher age brackets.  Nevertheless...

The "classic target audience" -- isn't it something like 18-45?  That's all I'm saying.  They're probably more consumer-oriented.

bonnevillemariner
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #1372 on: June 19, 2013, 01:46:29 PM »

I wouldn't consider this group a representative subset of the rest of society.
drbeachboy
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #1373 on: June 19, 2013, 01:47:55 PM »

Is everyone under 30?
18 - 45  LOL
Do people above 45 not exist... hmmm.  I don't know, I never thought about it.   As for complaining, stereo-typically I thought complaining accelerated in the higher age brackets.  Nevertheless...

The "classic target audience" -- isn't it something like 18-45?  That's all I'm saying.  They're probably more consumer-oriented.
For The Beach Boys? I doubt it. 45 upward are the ones still buying CDs and vinyl. That's not to say that all 18-45 aren't targeted, but if this is put on iTunes then we will know that they are looking at the youngins', as well. Wink
« Last Edit: June 19, 2013, 01:50:48 PM by drbeachboy » Logged

The Brianista Prayer

Oh Brian
Thou Art In Hawthorne,
Harmonied Be Thy name
Your Kingdom Come,
Your Steak Well Done,
Amen.  ---hypehat
drbeachboy
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #1374 on: June 19, 2013, 01:49:35 PM »

I wouldn't consider this group a representative subset of the rest of society.
No, but the subset that buys physical media is surely 45 and above.

The Brianista Prayer

Oh Brian
Thou Art In Hawthorne,
Harmonied Be Thy name
Your Kingdom Come,
Your Steak Well Done,