gfxgfx

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
logo

gfx gfx
gfx
681508 Posts in 27639 Topics by 4082 Members - Latest Member: briansclub June 09, 2024, 06:24:27 PM
gfx*HomeHelpSearchCalendarLoginRegistergfx
gfxgfx
Pages: 1 ... 49 50 51 52 53 [54] 55 56 57 58 59 ... 112 Go Down Print
Author Topic: MiC up for order on Amazon, August release  (Read 445444 times)
AndrewHickey
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #1325 on: June 19, 2013, 09:16:20 AM »

Not everyone here (and elsewhere) is towing the line on this.  I'm guessing (just guessing) -- but I, ME, WE are in the majority and you're in the minority since, I assume, most fans don't hang out here, posting their reaction.  The fact that a lot of folks who actually do post here are less than ankle-grabbing over the price-to-new ratio, ought to be cause for reflection -- rather than the snarky insults and insulated calls to "just don't buy it then."

It's currently at number 24 in box sets on Amazon UK, despite the fact that there are two months left until it comes out, and that other than the Complete Works of Benjamin Britten the most expensive thing in the top thirty is £37 cheaper. (In fact there are only five box sets in the top forty that are over thirty pounds).

Clearly there is a *large* number of people who don't take your attitude.
Yeah I saw that.  It's regular sales rank was high too.  But that doesn't mean their sentiment or "attitude" is foreign to mine.  I pre-order stuff all the time with their pre-order price guarantee -- hoping and assuming -- the price dips down at some point.  Regardless, another career retrospective is what it is, and they could likely have similar feelings than the many here.  Doesn't make anyone a "creitn."

I didn't call you a cretin because you don't want to buy the box. I called you a cretin because you claimed that this was a two-CD set with 120 tracks all of which were on 50 Big Ones and that the no money you intend to spend on it is you paying a lot of money...

The Smiley Smile ignore function: http://andrewhickey.info/the-smiley-smile-ignore-button-sort-of/
Most recent update 03/12/15
drbeachboy
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #1326 on: June 19, 2013, 09:18:32 AM »

Not everyone here (and elsewhere) is towing the line on this.  I'm guessing (just guessing) -- but I, ME, WE are in the majority and you're in the minority since, I assume, most fans don't hang out here, posting their reaction.  The fact that a lot of folks who actually do post here are less than ankle-grabbing over the price-to-new ratio, ought to be cause for reflection -- rather than the snarky insults and insulated calls to "just don't buy it then."

It's currently at number 24 in box sets on Amazon UK, despite the fact that there are two months left until it comes out, and that other than the Complete Works of Benjamin Britten the most expensive thing in the top thirty is £37 cheaper. (In fact there are only five box sets in the top forty that are over thirty pounds).

Clearly there is a *large* number of people who don't take your attitude.
Yeah I saw that.  It's regular sales rank was high too.  But that doesn't mean their sentiment or "attitude" is foreign to mine.  I pre-order stuff all the time with their pre-order price guarantee -- hoping and assuming -- the price dips down at some point.  Regardless, another career retrospective is what it is, and they could likely have similar feelings than the many here.  Doesn't make anyone a "creitn."

I didn't call you a cretin because you don't want to buy the box. I called you a cretin because you claimed that this was a two-CD set with 120 tracks all of which were on 50 Big Ones and that the no money you intend to spend on it is you paying a lot of money...
a real mouthful there, but so true. Wink

The Brianista Prayer

Oh Brian
Thou Art In Hawthorne,
Harmonied Be Thy name
Your Kingdom Come,
Your Steak Well Done,
On Stage As It Is In Studio,
Give Us This Day, Our Shortenin' Bread
And Forgive Us Our Bootlegs,
As We Also Have Forgiven Our Wife And Managers,
And Lead Us Not Into Kokomo,
But Deliver Us From Mike Love.
Amen.  ---hypehat
Bean Bag
Smiley Smile Associate

Right?

View Profile
« Reply #1327 on: June 19, 2013, 09:22:32 AM »

But 66 new tracks is a tad more than two CDs.  So... ah'well, you know us cretins   Wall

Tristero
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #1328 on: June 19, 2013, 09:24:13 AM »

Look, it's expensive for me too. It's expensive, period! But this is what we were told we were getting, so quit bitching and buck up and buy it (the price should come down), or don't bother. @ Bean Bag & Shady: Are you two grown-ups or kids? If kids, then excuse my little rant.
Maybe not the loftiest perch on the high-ground, but at least it's understandable.
Personally, I don't buy the "this is what we were told we were getting, so shut up" line.  Would it have been acceptable to criticize the set many months ago when it was first announced or would the same people be telling us, "Relax!  You haven't even seen the track listing yet."?  Naturally, we all wanted to hope for the best, so we waited to see the overall selection (along with the price and packaging) before evaluating further.  In my view, it is legitimate to criticize the strategy they've pursued here, as well as the actual selection, though some of the angst has gone over the top and I'm reserving final judgement until I can actually hear the thing.  For the record, I'd characterize myself as somewhat disappointed from a bang for the buck perspective, but I still want it and plan to wait for a while until the price becomes more reasonable.
tansen
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #1329 on: June 19, 2013, 09:27:51 AM »

A sizable amount of the Smile set was stuff that fans already had, too. And much of it -- most likely a couple of discs worth -- had been previously released.
Of course, but it was the freakin' official release of the Beach Boys' Smile, decades in the making!  For fans of that era, it had more cachet than another career spanning box with the usual suspects.  Also, in that case, we had the option of the more reasonably priced two disc edition for people who are on a budget.

Y'r right… I've five copies of the 2CD version (I've given a couple away) as my budget's really tight …   Huh

You guys also had the single disc CD too, John?

Yes but I only splashed out on one copy; and a vinyl LP; and the big box; and the 2CD set as a download. I have to watch my budget.

check, check, check. Though I didn't buy the 2CD set as a download since I did have the ability to rip my own physical version. :0)

Tansen - "He Who Commands an Army of Notes"
drbeachboy
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #1330 on: June 19, 2013, 09:43:33 AM »

Look, it's expensive for me too. It's expensive, period! But this is what we were told we were getting, so quit bitching and buck up and buy it (the price should come down), or don't bother. @ Bean Bag & Shady: Are you two grown-ups or kids? If kids, then excuse my little rant.
Maybe not the loftiest perch on the high-ground, but at least it's understandable.
Personally, I don't buy the "this is what we were told we were getting, so shut up" line.  Would it have been acceptable to criticize the set many months ago when it was first announced or would the same people be telling us, "Relax!  You haven't even seen the track listing yet."?  Naturally, we all wanted to hope for the best, so we waited to see the overall selection (along with the price and packaging) before evaluating further.  In my view, it is legitimate to criticize the strategy they've pursued here, as well as the actual selection, though some of the angst has gone over the top and I'm reserving final judgement until I can actually hear the thing.  For the record, I'd characterize myself as somewhat disappointed from a bang for the buck perspective, but I still want it and plan to wait for a while until the price becomes more reasonable.
The bitching would be fine if it was a year ago or so, but not now. We were told then that it would be "Career Spanning" and that includes the hits and album cuts, as well as remixes and unreleased stuff. To me, this all "It's here now, and I'm unhappy because it's not what I want it be" crap is all over the top cry-baby stuff.. I know you stay away from here according to what you say on Hoffman, and I assume from your posts that this kind arguing and pissing and moaning is what keeps you away until "near release date" approaches.
« Last Edit: June 19, 2013, 09:44:56 AM by drbeachboy » Logged

The Brianista Prayer

Oh Brian
Thou Art In Hawthorne,
Harmonied Be Thy name
Your Kingdom Come,
Your Steak Well Done,
Amen.  ---hypehat
Bicyclerider
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #1331 on: June 19, 2013, 10:01:53 AM »

i think many fans, and I would include myself in that number, feel this may be the last large scale archival release from the Beach Boys.  It caps off their successful 50th anniversary tour, which appears to be their last tour.  As such, favorite or desired unreleased tracks we have been hoping for years to see a commercial release, now may forever be the province of bad sounding boots or file shares or remain unreleased.  In this context other fans and even the BB camp themselves should be able to understand some of the polarizing opinions about the box set and what is and isn't included.  It isn't that I'm not excited about much of the box set - it's more, is this it?  The last word on the Beach Boys legacy and unreleased music?

If we could get a sign that there may be more archival releases in the future, much of the criticism of the box would be muted.
Shady
Smiley Smile Associate

I had to fix a lot of things this morning

View Profile
« Reply #1332 on: June 19, 2013, 10:32:51 AM »

Ok, ok. I'll keep quiet till I feel the need to fawn over the box sset.

Jeez I'm buying it, what more can I do.

According to someone who would know.

Seriously, there was a Beach Boys Love You condom?!  Amazing.
Bean Bag
Smiley Smile Associate

Right?

View Profile
« Reply #1333 on: June 19, 2013, 10:33:44 AM »

@bicyclerider -- well said.

@drbeachboy...
There's more to the "cry-baby" stuff than the retrospective aspect.  You're right -- we did know that.  But now seeing the track-list, everyone gets to react to it. I held my opinion until the list came out to avoid being called names.  But... whatever!   LOL

Actually, I stayed away from the thread(s) entirely to avoid any speculation.  To my detriment perhaps.  For reals -- a big part of my reaction is simple sticker shock.  I clicked the link and saw $145.

As for the career-spanning aspect -- yes, I was hoping that the "50 Big Ones" type of stuff (I can't call it all "hits" I know, I know...) was alternates in some way.  Just to make to it fresh.  Did I really think it was going to be a full-blown rarities box?  Yeah, I did.  I thought the release of 50 Big Ones meant (guaranteed even) it would be mostly rarities.  I'm a moron.  A kid.  A crybaby.

Was I supposed to know that 2/3 (or 5/8) was stuff I had?  Maybe.  But for $120+?  I didn't see that, no.  I just wasn't "in the know."  

But I'm fine with that.  I just have to wait for the price to drop to something that my wife (or my Adult/Child conscience) will not yell at me for!   Cheesy  
« Last Edit: June 19, 2013, 10:37:44 AM by Bean Bag » Logged

The Shift
Smiley Smile Associate

Biding time

View Profile
« Reply #1334 on: June 19, 2013, 10:45:54 AM »

A sizable amount of the Smile set was stuff that fans already had, too. And much of it -- most likely a couple of discs worth -- had been previously released.
Of course, but it was the freakin' official release of the Beach Boys' Smile, decades in the making!  For fans of that era, it had more cachet than another career spanning box with the usual suspects.  Also, in that case, we had the option of the more reasonably priced two disc edition for people who are on a budget.

Y'r right… I've five copies of the 2CD version (I've given a couple away) as my budget's really tight …   Huh

Yes but I only splashed out on one copy; and a vinyl LP; and the big box; and the 2CD set as a download. I have to watch my budget.

check, check, check. Though I didn't buy the 2CD set as a download since I did have the ability to rip my own physical version. :0)

Yup… but I couldn't wait for the postman!  :D   No such luxury with this set though… times are much harder Sad

“We live in divisive times.”
Jim V.
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #1335 on: June 19, 2013, 10:49:41 AM »

Just for yucks, and setting aside for a moment the fact that we're all a bunch of geeks with collections far larger that they legally should be, below please find listed the material on the box which will be new to John Q. Public.

7.    Sail Plane Song (2012 Stereo Mix)
27.   Soulful Old Man Sunshine
25.    Summer In Paradise (Wembley 1993)
25.    Surf's Up (1967 Version) (2012 Mix)

Wait...so all these will be new to us? "Sail Plane Song"? They found new stuff for that? Same for "Soulful Old Man Sunshine"? And wasn't that live "Summer in Paradise" on some charity comp in the '90s? And "Surf's Up (1967 Version)", it would be quite odd if there was another version on this set.
tansen
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #1336 on: June 19, 2013, 10:51:05 AM »

Of course, but it was the freakin' official release of the Beach Boys' Smile, decades in the making!  For fans of that era, it had more cachet than another career spanning box with the usual suspects.  Also, in that case, we had the option of the more reasonably priced two disc edition for people who are on a budget.

Y'r right… I've five copies of the 2CD version (I've given a couple away) as my budget's really tight …   Huh

Yup… but I couldn't wait for the postman!  :D   No such luxury with this set though… times are much harder Sad

Hehe, good old impatience- I can relate.
Regarding the set, I don't really see the point of pre-ordering - imagine the disappointment when the British 7 disc version is released September 1st. :D

Tansen - "He Who Commands an Army of Notes"
Disney Boy (1985)
« Reply #1337 on: June 19, 2013, 10:58:13 AM »

Just pre-ordered MIC on Amazon. Although it quotes the price at £100+, they actually charged me £85.

How d'ya manage that? Charged me £100+…

The price is actually £83.67, with £16.73 VAT (well, actually actually 2p more than that at the moment, but that's what my order said before the 2p price rise). If Disney Boy has somehow managed not to have to pay the VAT, that would be right.

I live in Jersey (the UK Jersey) which might explain it. (Before I rouse any resentment, I'd just like to point out that a) I'm not actually Jersey born, I just moved here coz of a girl; b) I'm not rich, at all; and c) I pay f***-loads of tax! It's only the well-off over here who tax dodge, the rest of us plebs have to pay through our bloody noses. (Except on Amazon orders of Beach Boys CDs it would seem...)
« Last Edit: June 19, 2013, 11:54:20 AM by Disney Boy (1985) » Logged
The Shift
Smiley Smile Associate

Biding time

View Profile
« Reply #1338 on: June 19, 2013, 11:03:23 AM »

I live in Jersey (the UK Jersey) which might explain it. (Before I arouse any resentment, I'd just like to point out that a) I'm not actually Jersey born, I just moved here coz of a girl; b) I'm not rich, at all; and c) I pay f***-loads of tax! It's only the well-off over here who tax dodge, the rest of us plebs have to pay through our bloody noses. (Except on Amazon orders of Beach Boys CDs it would seem...)

1)  It's okay, you haven't aroused me
2) Please send cream!

Regarding the set, I don't really see the point of pre-ordering - imagine the disappointment when the British 7 disc version is released September 1st. :D

That's the one I ordered. What's everyone else ordering?

Ram4
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #1339 on: June 19, 2013, 11:08:28 AM »

Is the version of Can't Wait Too Long (A Cappella) on this set going to be the short one on Hawthorne or the complete song? 
AndrewHickey
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #1340 on: June 19, 2013, 11:09:59 AM »

I live in Jersey (the UK Jersey) which might explain it. (Before I arouse any resentment, I'd just like to point out that a) I'm not actually Jersey born, I just moved here coz of a girl; b) I'm not rich, at all; and c) I pay f***-loads of tax! It's only the well-off over here who tax dodge, the rest of us plebs have to pay through our bloody noses. (Except on Amazon orders of Beach Boys CDs it would seem...)

1)  It's okay, you haven't aroused me
2) Please send cream!

That's the one I ordered. What's everyone else ordering?

The ten-disc one with Adult Child, Lei'd In Hawaii and Sweet Insanity on vinyl as extras

The Smiley Smile ignore function: http://andrewhickey.info/the-smiley-smile-ignore-button-sort-of/
Most recent update 03/12/15
drbeachboy
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #1341 on: June 19, 2013, 11:16:32 AM »

@bicyclerider -- well said.

@drbeachboy...
There's more to the "cry-baby" stuff than the retrospective aspect.  You're right -- we did know that.  But now seeing the track-list, everyone gets to react to it. I held my opinion until the list came out to avoid being called names.  But... whatever!   LOL

Actually, I stayed away from the thread(s) entirely to avoid any speculation.  To my detriment perhaps.  For reals -- a big part of my reaction is simple sticker shock.  I clicked the link and saw $145.

As for the career-spanning aspect -- yes, I was hoping that the "50 Big Ones" type of stuff (I can't call it all "hits" I know, I know...) was alternates in some way.  Just to make to it fresh.  Did I really think it was going to be a full-blown rarities box?  Yeah, I did.  I thought the release of 50 Big Ones meant (guaranteed even) it would be mostly rarities.  I'm a moron.  A kid.  A crybaby.

Was I supposed to know that 2/3 (or 5/8) was stuff I had?  Maybe.  But for $120+?  I didn't see that, no.  I just wasn't "in the know."  

But I'm fine with that.  I just have to wait for the price to drop to something that my wife (or my Adult/Child conscience) will not yell at me for!   Cheesy  
Look, I get what you're saying, but even when the GV Box Set was released I had the hits many times over already, and that was 1992.  Once you understand that while the Beach Boys side of this may be to give you new stuff, it is also Capitol's side to make money have this set appeal to lowest common denominator of the fan-base. If I do have to throw part of my money away, then I would rather buy this and just feel that the unreleased stuff was worth the the extra cost.
« Last Edit: June 19, 2013, 12:11:29 PM by drbeachboy » Logged

The Brianista Prayer

Oh Brian
Thou Art In Hawthorne,
Harmonied Be Thy name
Your Kingdom Come,
Your Steak Well Done,
Amen.  ---hypehat
Wirestone
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #1342 on: June 19, 2013, 11:27:19 AM »

i think many fans, and I would include myself in that number, feel this may be the last large scale archival release from the Beach Boys.  It caps off their successful 50th anniversary tour, which appears to be their last tour.  As such, favorite or desired unreleased tracks we have been hoping for years to see a commercial release, now may forever be the province of bad sounding boots or file shares or remain unreleased.  In this context other fans and even the BB camp themselves should be able to understand some of the polarizing opinions about the box set and what is and isn't included.  It isn't that I'm not excited about much of the box set - it's more, is this it?  The last word on the Beach Boys legacy and unreleased music?

If we could get a sign that there may be more archival releases in the future, much of the criticism of the box would be muted.

I would say the continued existence of the planet Earth and a large population of sentient humans with disposable income pretty much guarantees there will be Beach Boys archival releases for many years to come.

Something on this scale? Hard to say. But the Boys sell records, and rarities move units for diehard fans. So I think it's an easy bet that we'll see more releases, and more rarities sprinkled among them.
The Shift
Smiley Smile Associate

Biding time

View Profile
« Reply #1343 on: June 19, 2013, 11:49:57 AM »

But the Boys sell records, and rarities move units for diehard fans. So I think it's an easy bet that we'll see more releases, and more rarities sprinkled among them.

We got Teeter Totter Love. That, for me, offers hope that everything else will come out somewhere along the line.  As long as we're prepared to pay the price of it being accompanied by Kokomara Ann.  And I am.

Nicko1234
« Reply #1344 on: June 19, 2013, 11:56:01 AM »

i think many fans, and I would include myself in that number, feel this may be the last large scale archival release from the Beach Boys.  It caps off their successful 50th anniversary tour, which appears to be their last tour.  As such, favorite or desired unreleased tracks we have been hoping for years to see a commercial release, now may forever be the province of bad sounding boots or file shares or remain unreleased.  In this context other fans and even the BB camp themselves should be able to understand some of the polarizing opinions about the box set and what is and isn't included.  It isn't that I'm not excited about much of the box set - it's more, is this it?  The last word on the Beach Boys legacy and unreleased music?

I would say that this be a much worse indictment on Capitol if it were true. If they were thinking, 'we won't include all the good unreleased stuff on this one because we want more of their money later' then it wouldn't really reflect well on them.
Bean Bag
Smiley Smile Associate

Right?

View Profile
« Reply #1345 on: June 19, 2013, 12:33:14 PM »

Look, I get what you're saying, but even when the GV Box Set was released I had the hits many times over already, and that was 1992.  Once you understand that while the Beach Boys side of this may be to give you new stuff, it is also Capitol's side to make money have this set appeal to lowest common denominator of the fan-base. If I do have to throw part of money my away, then I would rather buy this and just feel that the unreleased stuff was worth the the extra cost.

I don't think they (Capitol) had John Q. Public in mind with this set.  My hunch is they included all the same old hits to pad it out.  Expand them to more discs, increase price.  John Q may figure in somewhat...

Nothing new.  Trying to get as much out of hardcore fans is an art.  At least they're not including marbles and scarves like on the Pink Floyd Immersion sets  LOL  I was so excited for those Immersion sets -- which included awesome rarities as well.  But had to pass -- though I would bite in the $40-60 range.  I digress...

I groaned a bit with the SMiLE Box.  They did it there too.  It could have been a $60/70 5 disc set.  Yes.  However,  that box had some "heft."  Once I saw it -- I was convinced.  I had to have it.  They threw in some real product and an unheard of level of design bling.  That set is a real show piece and worth it, I think.  Plus the significance of it all was overwhelming.
« Last Edit: June 19, 2013, 12:37:47 PM by Bean Bag » Logged

Andrew G. Doe
Smiley Smile Associate

The triumph of The Hickey Script !

View Profile WWW
« Reply #1346 on: June 19, 2013, 12:45:07 PM »

Just for yucks, and setting aside for a moment the fact that we're all a bunch of geeks with collections far larger that they legally should be, below please find listed the material on the box which will be new to John Q. Public.

Wait...so all these will be new to us? "Sail Plane Song"? They found new stuff for that? Same for "Soulful Old Man Sunshine"? And wasn't that live "Summer in Paradise" on some charity comp in the '90s? And "Surf's Up (1967 Version)", it would be quite odd if there was another version on this set.

No - unsurprisingly, you have willfully misread what I posted, that is "new to John Q. Public", the likes of whom has maybe Sounds Of Summer and possibly Pet Sounds... or perhaps naively I assumed you could comprehend a simple declarative sentence written in the Queens English. My apologies, and I won't make such an assumption again.

The four sweetest words in my vocabulary: "This poster is ignored".
Bicyclerider
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #1347 on: June 19, 2013, 12:48:34 PM »

27 isn't new unless AGD knows something we don't about it.
7 and 25 are new mixes which will be new the general public and us fans, unless you know Alan or Mark personally and they've played these new mixes for you.
Andrew G. Doe
Smiley Smile Associate

The triumph of The Hickey Script !

View Profile WWW
« Reply #1348 on: June 19, 2013, 12:48:55 PM »

Soulful Old Man Shunshine isn't new, unless it's just the new title.

And neither is the 2009 Fallin in Love.

On the other hand, Susie Cincinatti 2012 mix will be "new."

Oh, FFS, has everyone here had a sudden attack of the terminal stupids ??

OK, in basic English - the tracks I highlighted will be totally new to that mythical creature, The Man In The Street - the one who doesn't have every last album and single the band released, and roughly five times as many boots. Not the likes of us.

The four sweetest words in my vocabulary: "This poster is ignored".
Bubba Ho-Tep
« Reply #1349 on: June 19, 2013, 12:52:49 PM »

Oh, FFS, has everyone here had a sudden attack of the terminal stupids ??

OK, in basic English - the tracks I highlighted will be totally new to that mythical creature, The Man In The Street - the one who doesn't have every last album and single the band released, and roughly five times as many boots. Not the likes of us.

Such a person wouldn't buy this set in the first place.
gfx
Pages: 1 ... 49 50 51 52 53 [54] 55 56 57 58 59 ... 112 Go Up Print 
gfx
Jump to:  
gfx