gfxgfx

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
logo

gfx gfx
gfx
681220 Posts in 27630 Topics by 4067 Members - Latest Member: Dae Lims May 29, 2024, 03:28:27 AM
gfx*HomeHelpSearchCalendarLoginRegistergfx
gfxgfx
Pages: 1 ... 45 46 47 48 49 [50] 51 52 53 54 55 ... 112 Go Down Print
Author Topic: MiC up for order on Amazon, August release  (Read 444452 times)
Cabinessenceking
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #1225 on: June 18, 2013, 12:55:39 AM »

After some due deliberation I can pass my hat over to the faction supporting MiC.
It is a solid compilation, it seems to be a package of high quality with many new and unique cuts. I still agree with the dissent that Don't Go Near The Water [backing track] and Transcendental Meditation [instrumental track] were selected above other, highly anticipated and highly qualitative tracks, but I guess they didn't want to empty the bag right now. There remains more than enough unreleased material for future compilations and/or digital download. And I stay optimistic for that, even though it may yet take years.
« Last Edit: June 18, 2013, 12:57:18 AM by Cabinessenceking » Logged
AndrewHickey
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #1226 on: June 18, 2013, 01:19:28 AM »

Their roles in the band were 100% equal to everyone else at the time, while Bruce has always (with the exception of Sunflower) always served as a bit of a "junior member".

With the exception of Sunflower... and 20/20, where he produced one of the singles as well as having one of his own compositions on it. And LA, which he co-produced, and Keepin' The Summer Alive, which he produced, and the eponymous album, where he brought in the producer, and...

The Smiley Smile ignore function: http://andrewhickey.info/the-smiley-smile-ignore-button-sort-of/
Most recent update 03/12/15
Phoenix
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #1227 on: June 18, 2013, 02:04:35 AM »

Their roles in the band were 100% equal to everyone else at the time, while Bruce has always (with the exception of Sunflower) always served as a bit of a "junior member".

With the exception of Sunflower... and 20/20, where he produced one of the singles as well as having one of his own compositions on it. And LA, which he co-produced, and Keepin' The Summer Alive, which he produced, and the eponymous album, where he brought in the producer, and...

As I said just a few lines above that quote:
the group realized Bruce was also a talented lead singer, songwriter, arranger, and producer, and used him in those capacities over the years.

The point is Blondie and Ricky's tenure was something entirely different.  At that point in time, the band didn't appear as much a democracy than a true confederacy.  The group was in a similar state from 20/20 through Surf's Up (possibly reaching its "peak of confederacy" only after years of working towards it) but during that time, with the exception of Sunflower, Bruce was either held back, holding back, or just didn't have as much to offer to the group in the way of songs or performances.  He did as much singing, writing, and recording in 17 (studio and live) albums than Blondie and Ricky did in THREE!  And his tenure in the producer's chair had way more in common with Terry Melcher's than Brian's.  Obviously everything changed with Endless Summer but the point remains that two former full fledged members now appear to be persona non grata, in the same way David was during his "lost" years.

But whatever.  Call it what you will. 
« Last Edit: June 18, 2013, 02:08:50 AM by Phoenix » Logged
The Shift
Smiley Smile Associate

Biding time

View Profile
« Reply #1228 on: June 18, 2013, 02:18:43 AM »

Just checked HMV jp - Japanese track list looks slightly different but at 2.30am I don't have the energy to check exactly what the differences are…

Might just be a running order thing… then again…

Seems to be an odd running order thing… and there's no Carl coda listed for the end of the sixth disc.  For some reason Going to the Beach is bumped on to CD5, which in turn bumps Summer in Paradises on to disc 6, which bumps the Coda off the set.

Secret track on disc 4 maybe?  Typo maybe? Maybe I'm taking it too seriously?

“We live in divisive times.”
AndrewHickey
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #1229 on: June 18, 2013, 02:23:35 AM »

Box is pre-orderable on Amazon UK right now. £100.40 . I'm assuming the price will come down at least a little before release though.

The Smiley Smile ignore function: http://andrewhickey.info/the-smiley-smile-ignore-button-sort-of/
Nicko1234
« Reply #1230 on: June 18, 2013, 04:15:09 AM »

Box is pre-orderable on Amazon UK right now. £100.40 . I'm assuming the price will come down at least a little before release though.

By at least 50% one would hope.
AndrewHickey
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #1231 on: June 18, 2013, 04:28:14 AM »

By at least 50% one would hope.

I'd hope so, but my guess is more like 20%. Since Sainsburys have it for £80.99, I'd guess at that as the price they'll end up with, give or take...

Mahalo
Smiley Smile Associate

..Stand back, Speak normally

View Profile
« Reply #1232 on: June 18, 2013, 04:28:41 AM »

As excited as I am to hear some of these amazing songs I'm really going to wait this one out until the price comes way down... it's just not worth the asking price at this time.
Nicko1234
« Reply #1233 on: June 18, 2013, 05:28:08 AM »

I'd hope so, but my guess is more like 20%. Since Sainsburys have it for £80.99, I'd guess at that as the price they'll end up with, give or take...

That would still be insanely expensive. I've said it before (and doubtless I will say it again) but if you type in 'box set' on Amazon then you can immediately find sets with 10 disc, 13 discs, 17 discs etc. that are all a fraction of that price.
AndrewHickey
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #1234 on: June 18, 2013, 05:36:59 AM »

That would still be insanely expensive. I've said it before (and doubtless I will say it again) but if you type in 'box set' on Amazon then you can immediately find sets with 10 disc, 13 discs, 17 discs etc. that are all a fraction of that price.

Oh I know. On the other hand, the GV box is £75.88 new on Amazon, and I don't see the price of this going lower than that, for fairly obvious reasons. We can hope, though.

Personally, I can afford it and am going to pay it, but I do agree it's high. On the other hand I have absolutely no idea how the Nilsson box set, for example, can be so cheap. While £15 per CD is on the expensive side, I can't imagine how the people behind the Nilsson box can even recover their costs at less than three quid a disc...

Micha
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile WWW
« Reply #1235 on: June 18, 2013, 05:40:35 AM »

With big hardcover books and all? (No sarcasm, that's supposed to be a question.)

Ceterum censeo SMiLEBrianum OSDumque esse excludendos banno.
Wirestone
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #1236 on: June 18, 2013, 06:45:45 AM »

With big hardcover books and all? (No sarcasm, that's supposed to be a question.)

I've asked for examples, too. None were forthcoming.
SMiLE Brian
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #1237 on: June 18, 2013, 07:06:27 AM »

For this price, they could add another two discs of material.

And production aside, I’d so much rather hear a 14 year old David Marks shred some guitar on Chug-a-lug than hear a 51 year old Mike Love sing about bangin some chick in a swimming pool.-rab2591
AndrewHickey
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #1238 on: June 18, 2013, 07:17:41 AM »

For this price, they could add another two discs of material.

Or on the other hand, they could do it like McCartney's latest box set, which is forty quid more and has two fewer discs. There's always someone worse off than yourself Wink

SMiLE Brian
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #1239 on: June 18, 2013, 07:44:45 AM »

Good thing I am not a Macca solo fan.... LOL

And production aside, I’d so much rather hear a 14 year old David Marks shred some guitar on Chug-a-lug than hear a 51 year old Mike Love sing about bangin some chick in a swimming pool.-rab2591
Nicko1234
« Reply #1240 on: June 18, 2013, 08:08:37 AM »

I've asked for examples, too. None were forthcoming.

I've given plenty of examples already including Burt Bacharach and Harry Nilsson. And as I've just said, type in box set on Amazon and look at the list.
Nicko1234
« Reply #1241 on: June 18, 2013, 08:12:30 AM »

Obviously the packaging and contents varies from set to set.

How much does it cost to manufacture a book like the one included in this set? A few dollars yet by calling it a 'collector's book' they can add $50 to the RRP. Smart work by Capitol.
Shady
Smiley Smile Associate

I had to fix a lot of things this morning

View Profile
« Reply #1242 on: June 18, 2013, 08:32:20 AM »

It's pretty amusing that we're going to spend over 100 bucks to buy Kokomo for the 60th time just to get a couple of unreleased tracks  LOL Realistically that's what we're doing

According to someone who would know.

Seriously, there was a Beach Boys Love You condom?!  Amazing.
Dudd
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #1243 on: June 18, 2013, 08:32:46 AM »

It's pretty amusing that we're going to spend over 100 bucks to buy Kokomo for the 60th time just to get a couple of unreleased tracks  LOL Realistically that's what we're doing

Oh, don't you start...

Quote from: Brian Wilson
It’s going to be the greatest tribute album ever made.
Peadar 'Big Dinner' O'Driscoll
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile WWW
« Reply #1244 on: June 18, 2013, 08:38:44 AM »

Price is dumb. Its hardly gonna attract any casual fans. Look at this bundle - http://ecx.images-amazon.com/images/I/51Baxb-4KTL._SY450_.jpg - couldn't wait to get my hands on all that goodness! think it started at £129.99?

some box sets I bought over the last few years

Big Star Box £39.99 (4 cds)
Pogues Box Set - £27.99 (5 cds)

Both were rarities collections

I dunno how this book ramps up the price so much.
« Last Edit: June 18, 2013, 08:39:56 AM by My Brother Woody » Logged

drbeachboy
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #1245 on: June 18, 2013, 09:29:29 AM »

So, if Kokomo wasn't on there then you would be content to pay the 100 bucks? Instead, pretend it's not on there and you are paying for I Get Around for the 60th time. I hope that makes a difference for you there, Shady! Smiley

The Brianista Prayer

Oh Brian
Thou Art In Hawthorne,
Harmonied Be Thy name
Your Kingdom Come,
Your Steak Well Done,
On Stage As It Is In Studio,
Give Us This Day, Our Shortenin' Bread
And Forgive Us Our Bootlegs,
As We Also Have Forgiven Our Wife And Managers,
And Lead Us Not Into Kokomo,
But Deliver Us From Mike Love.
Amen.  ---hypehat
LostArt
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #1246 on: June 18, 2013, 09:40:55 AM »

It's pretty amusing that we're going to spend over 100 bucks to buy Kokomo for the 60th time just to get a couple of unreleased tracks  LOL Realistically that's what we're doing

It's pretty amusing that you've bought Kokomo 59 times.   LOL

Me?  I don't own Sounds of Summer, or Warmth of the Sun, or 50 Big Ones, or any other of the greatest hits comps, except for the GV box, the Hallmark CD, and the Walmart 'zine pak.  So, WE aren't buying Kokomo or I Get Around or any other song for the 60th time.  I will be buying Kokomo for the 4th time, and yeah, MiC ain't cheap, but to ME, it's worth it, just to get all of the stuff that I don't have.  And this box has a lot of stuff that I don't have.

I hope you understand the difference between 'we' and 'me' now.   Wink  
« Last Edit: June 18, 2013, 09:57:29 AM by LostArt » Logged
tansen
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #1247 on: June 18, 2013, 10:11:13 AM »

It's pretty amusing that we're going to spend over 100 bucks to buy Kokomo for the 60th time just to get a couple of unreleased tracks  LOL Realistically that's what we're doing

It's pretty amusing that you've bought Kokomo 59 times.   LOL

Me?  I don't own Sounds of Summer, or Warmth of the Sun, or 50 Big Ones, or any other of the greatest hits comps, except for the GV box, the Hallmark CD, and the Walmart 'zine pak.  So, WE aren't buying Kokomo or I Get Around or any other song for the 60th time.  I will be buying Kokomo for the 4th time, and yeah, MiC ain't cheap, but to ME, it's worth it, just to get all of the stuff that I don't have.  And this box has a lot of stuff that I don't have.

I hope you understand the difference between 'we' and 'me' now.   Wink  

I'll be buying Kokomo for the 18th time, and you won't hear me complaining about it. :D

Tansen - "He Who Commands an Army of Notes"
TV Forces
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #1248 on: June 18, 2013, 12:08:44 PM »

Oh, don't you start...

Here they come!  All dissent must be immediately squashed.  We don't want Brian to see this!
Matt Bielewicz
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #1249 on: June 18, 2013, 12:09:12 PM »

That's a good point - I realised I don't know HOW many times I've bought Kokomo. So I've just counted. I've clearly been reasonably careful with my Beach Boys purchasing in the past, as it turns out MiC will give me only the third instance of the track in my collection (hitherto, I have it only on the GV Box, plus on one UK-only double-CD mid-90s hits comp, which was actually my first CD by the Boys and the one that kicked everything off!).

So I couldn't care less about buying it again. I'm good with it.

Barbara effing Ann, on the other hand... I haven't been so fleet of foot in avoiding that.

[counts]

This will be the fifth time. Five times too many.

MiC is still, in my opinion, worth it.

After some due deliberation I can pass my hat over to the faction supporting MiC.

What faction? There's just some guys here who are broadly enthusiastic about a tracklisting, and some that are less so. Even within those very rough groupings, people are disagreeing about what's good, better or worse about the content.

I don't see an 'us and them' situation here. I just see a spectrum of opinions, with myself more up the 'me likey' end than the 'tracklist rage' end. And if you feel you've moved more up the 'me likey' end in the last few days, that's nice for you. I hope you enjoy the set. And no, I'm *not* being sarcastic!
gfx
Pages: 1 ... 45 46 47 48 49 [50] 51 52 53 54 55 ... 112 Go Up Print 
gfx
Jump to:  
gfx