gfxgfx

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
logo

gfx gfx
gfx
681220 Posts in 27630 Topics by 4067 Members - Latest Member: Dae Lims May 29, 2024, 04:01:54 AM
gfx*HomeHelpSearchCalendarLoginRegistergfx
gfxgfx
Pages: 1 ... 39 40 41 42 43 [44] 45 46 47 48 49 ... 112 Go Down Print
Author Topic: MiC up for order on Amazon, August release  (Read 444461 times)
The Shift
Smiley Smile Associate

Biding time

View Profile
« Reply #1075 on: June 17, 2013, 07:50:41 AM »

I'm really surprised that Summer's Gone isn't on MIC. (Maybe Mike vetoed it? LOL)

And as for Mike vetoing Summer's Gone (and I know you're joking, but other people have said similar things seriously), I've heard from two independent, trustworthy sources that Mike didn't veto a single track. Apparently he had some concerns about the packaging and presentation, but none with any of the music.

This should be sticky on the front page.

Heh. *I* trust them, but I'm not saying who said that, as they were both private conversations. So unless you want to have trust in me, in the two sources I have, and in their sources if any, that's only very weak evidence.

I believe it, though.

I have a feeling your post will be among the more questioned on here in the near future. I honestly can't say I'm surprised that Michael didn't veto anything. He appreciates the band's entire career. Sure, he may have been late to the party, but still...better late than never.

Didn't I also read somewhere that it was Mike Love who convinced Alan Boyd to be part of the project?  If that' the case then we have a lot to thank him for.  Some will no doubt quote the "profit" notice but I'm thinking "quality".

“We live in divisive times.”
Dancing Bear
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #1076 on: June 17, 2013, 07:51:37 AM »

I really like Brian and Mike singing 'Goin' to the Beach' at the piano in the TV special. I'm afraid a KTSA era studio version will lose whatever charm this song once had.

I'm fat as a cow oh how'd I ever get this way!
AndrewHickey
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #1077 on: June 17, 2013, 07:53:57 AM »

Didn't I also read somewhere that it was Mike Love who convinced Alan Boyd to be part of the project?  If that' the case then we have a lot to thank him for.  Some will no doubt quote the "profit" notice but I'm thinking "quality".

I'd not heard that, but if it's the case then yes, we do have a lot to thank Mike for.

Which brings up another point -- do we know, yet, exactly what the credits are for this? We know, I think that Boyd worked on it in some production capacity, and that Linnet engineered. I'm pretty sure Mark London was involved in the design, and Andrew Sandoval did some or all of the liner notes. Is that it, or was anyone else on the team?

The Smiley Smile ignore function: http://andrewhickey.info/the-smiley-smile-ignore-button-sort-of/
Most recent update 03/12/15
Bicyclerider
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #1078 on: June 17, 2013, 07:57:28 AM »

The nice surprise for me was "Susie Cincinnati". Hadn't expected that song that seemingly so few people like.

I agree. Don't think it's that bad of a song. Like Good Time as well (and it looks like we'll be getting the Sunflower mix based on its placement)

Count me in as a fan of Susie.  Another big fan of the track was John Belushi!  I would have liked the mono single version but maybe this new mix will duplicate the mono version mix (with different placement of the sound effects) but in stereo.
Jim V.
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #1079 on: June 17, 2013, 08:06:58 AM »

Is "Goin' to the Beach" supposed to be any good?

SWD played me the completed track & bvs back in 1985 - it's catchy.

Wait...so there was no lead vocal until recently? If true, then that's interesting. I wonder if any other touch up work was done on any of the other unreleased tunes.

A few other things....

Why does the press material for the box say that "California Feelin'" features a shared lead vocal by Carl, Bruce, and Brian. Last time I checked, there was no Brian lead on the 1978 L.A. (Light Album) sessions version of this song that circulates. He is quite prominent on the group vocals, but that is it. Is it possible that they used a some of his lead vocals that Adam Marsland said he heard once? That would be interesting!

Also, while I'm talking about stuff from the L.A. era, do we know what version of "Brian's Back" they are using? Since it says "alternate mix" I'm assuming they are once again using the First Love version, unfortunately. Since this is a Beach Boys box set, I'm not really sure how a song that was intended for a Mike Love solo album makes sense on here, especially seeing as how "River Song" and "Love And Mercy" amongst others aren't on there. I suppose the same could be said for "Sound Of Free" too, but didn't that one feature a majority of Beach Boys anyways? Anyways, was the L.A. version of "Brian's Back" ever finished? If it ever leaked, I haven't heard it. However, it was one of the things produced by Brian at the beginning of the sessions, so I wouldn't mind hearing it, if only to hear the difference from the Mike solo version.

And then, I'm also interested to see what "Soul Searchin'" and "You're Still A Mystery" are going to sound like. Are they using the Don Was sessions vocals mixed with the Paley session tracks? Or totally Don Was session stuff?
Shady
Smiley Smile Associate

I had to fix a lot of things this morning

View Profile
« Reply #1080 on: June 17, 2013, 08:10:30 AM »

I'm really surprised that Summer's Gone isn't on MIC. (Maybe Mike vetoed it? LOL)

And as for Mike vetoing Summer's Gone (and I know you're joking, but other people have said similar things seriously), I've heard from two independent, trustworthy sources that Mike didn't veto a single track. Apparently he had some concerns about the packaging and presentation, but none with any of the music.

This should be sticky on the front page.

Heh. *I* trust them, but I'm not saying who said that, as they were both private conversations. So unless you want to have trust in me, in the two sources I have, and in their sources if any, that's only very weak evidence.

I believe it, though.

I have a feeling your post will be among the more questioned on here in the near future. I honestly can't say I'm surprised that Michael didn't veto anything. He appreciates the band's entire career. Sure, he may have been late to the party, but still...better late than never.

I really shudder to see what the C50 setlist would've been like if it was Mike's decision only. It took Brian and his camp to get more pet sounds material included and songs like Marcella.

I'm not taking a dig at Mike but I don't think he even appreciates his own best material

According to someone who would know.

Seriously, there was a Beach Boys Love You condom?!  Amazing.
AndrewHickey
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #1081 on: June 17, 2013, 08:14:58 AM »

Wait...so there was no lead vocal until recently? If true, then that's interesting. I wonder if any other touch up work was done on any of the other unreleased tunes.

A few other things....

Why does the press material for the box say that "California Feelin'" features a shared lead vocal by Carl, Bruce, and Brian. Last time I checked, there was no Brian lead on the 1978 L.A. (Light Album) sessions version of this song that circulates. He is quite prominent on the group vocals, but that is it. Is it possible that they used a some of his lead vocals that Adam Marsland said he heard once? That would be interesting!

There's a fairly widely-booted version which has the same backing track but has Brian on lead.

The Smiley Smile ignore function: http://andrewhickey.info/the-smiley-smile-ignore-button-sort-of/
Jason
« Reply #1082 on: June 17, 2013, 08:23:57 AM »

I've never even heard of (let alone heard) a version of California Feelin' from the 1978 Miami sessions with Brian on vocals.
Andrew G. Doe
Smiley Smile Associate

The triumph of The Hickey Script !

View Profile WWW
« Reply #1083 on: June 17, 2013, 08:29:21 AM »

I've never even heard of (let alone heard) a version of California Feelin' from the 1978 Miami sessions with Brian on vocals.

Lead vocal, no... but he's there in the chorus bvs (hugely whiny).

The four sweetest words in my vocabulary: "This poster is ignored".
Andrew G. Doe
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile WWW
« Reply #1084 on: June 17, 2013, 08:31:28 AM »

Wait...so there was no lead vocal until recently? If true, then that's interesting.

Not necessarily... all that proves is he played me a worktape before the lead vocal was recorded. I'm sure the liners will inform us.

Andrew G. Doe
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile WWW
« Reply #1085 on: June 17, 2013, 08:34:33 AM »

A few other things....

There's a fairly widely-booted version which has the same backing track but has Brian on lead.

Sure that's not the 1977 Spring version w/Rocky on lead ?

Jim V.
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #1086 on: June 17, 2013, 08:47:19 AM »

I really shudder to see what the C50 setlist would've been like if it was Mike's decision only. It took Brian and his camp to get more pet sounds material included and songs like Marcella.

Hey now Shady, remember that it's Mike who includes rarely heard Beach Boys classics in his set lists, like "Surf City", "The Little Old Lady from Pasadena", and "Cool Head, Warm Heart"*. And then don't forget later career triumphs like "Still Cruisin'" and "Summer in Paradise". See, Mike thinks outside of the box!  Roll Eyes

*I actually like "Cool Head, Warm Heart", but it's a Mike Love solo song. And since his show is "The Beach Boys", I don't think he should be using that name to promote solo material.
drbeachboy
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #1087 on: June 17, 2013, 08:49:16 AM »

Hey now Shady, remember that it's Mike who includes rarely heard Beach Boys classics in his set lists, like "Surf City", "The Little Old Lady from Pasadena", and "Cool Head, Warm Heart"*. And then don't forget later career triumphs like "Still Cruisin'" and "Summer in Paradise". See, Mike thinks outside of the box!  Roll Eyes

*I actually like "Cool Head, Warm Heart", but it's a Mike Love solo song. And since his show is "The Beach Boys", I don't think he should be using that name to promote solo material.
Carl did it back in the 80s.

The Brianista Prayer

Oh Brian
Thou Art In Hawthorne,
Harmonied Be Thy name
Your Kingdom Come,
Your Steak Well Done,
On Stage As It Is In Studio,
Give Us This Day, Our Shortenin' Bread
And Forgive Us Our Bootlegs,
As We Also Have Forgiven Our Wife And Managers,
And Lead Us Not Into Kokomo,
But Deliver Us From Mike Love.
Amen.  ---hypehat
Shady
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #1088 on: June 17, 2013, 08:50:08 AM »

Hey now Shady, remember that it's Mike who includes rarely heard Beach Boys classics in his set lists, like "Surf City", "The Little Old Lady from Pasadena", and "Cool Head, Warm Heart"*. And then don't forget later career triumphs like "Still Cruisin'" and "Summer in Paradise". See, Mike thinks outside of the box!  Roll Eyes

Yeah exactly. Again I'm not attacking Mike I just don't think he really appreciates the bands career like he should, even his own incredible work from the 60's and 70's. But it's his view point on The Beach Boys and he's more than entitled to it.

AndrewHickey
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #1089 on: June 17, 2013, 08:52:40 AM »

I'm not taking a dig at Mike but I don't think he even appreciates his own best material

You don't know that at all. The only two songs that we know that Brian pushed for at all are Marcella and Add Some Music. We also know that it was *Mike* who wanted Heroes & Villains included.

The setlists for the tour were very, *VERY* close to those that Mike does on his longer theatre shows. I just did a comparison of the 55-song Wembley show and the 52-song set that Mike, Bruce and David did at the Manchester Apollo in 2008.

Thirty-nine songs were performed at both, including stuff like All This Is That, Disney Girls, Cottonfields,Forever, Wendy, In My Room, Kiss Me Baby and so on as well as the obvious hits. The sixteen songs performed at Wembley but not on the 2008 show were:
Please Let Me Wonder, This Whole World, Getcha Back, Isn't It Time, Come Go with Me, It's OK, Be True to Your School, Pet Sounds, Add Some Music to Your Day, Heroes and Villains, I Just Wasn't Made for These Times, California Saga: California, That's Why God Made the Radio, Summer's Gone, All Summer Long, and Rock and Roll Music

The thirteen songs performed by Mike, Bruce and David in 2008 but not performed at Wembley were:
Surf City, Good Timin',  Good To My Baby, The Warmth Of The Sun, Let Him Run Wild, I Can Hear Music, Still Cruisin', You Still Believe In Me, Here Today, Their Hearts Were Full Of Spring, Cool Head, Warm Heart, Everyone's In Love With You, and 'Til I Die

I would argue that on any reasonable metric there's no real difference between those two lists in terms of quality, obscurity, artistic value or what have you. I don't think Til I Die is a 'safer' choice than I Just Wasn't Made For These Times, and certainly not a safer choice than Getcha Back, It's OK, All Summer Long or Rock And Roll Music.

When Mike and Bruce do a longer show, the setlist (if not the performance) is close enough to the sets from last year as makes no difference. By all accounts Mike was in charge of the setlists last year, and while the others made suggestions that were included (Our Prayer from Al, Marcella, Add Some Music and presumably This Whole World from Brian) all the evidence suggests that if they hadn't made any suggestions at all, we'd still have had nearly identical setlists.

AndrewHickey
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #1090 on: June 17, 2013, 08:53:47 AM »

A few other things....

Sure that's not the 1977 Spring version w/Rocky on lead ?

Been a while since I listened to it. You may be right, but if so it sounds a LOT like Brian...

Jason
« Reply #1091 on: June 17, 2013, 08:59:13 AM »

For the record, it's also not the same backing track.
Jim V.
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #1092 on: June 17, 2013, 09:10:41 AM »

Yeah, Adam Marsland mentioned it a few years ago.

Here's that post:
There may be yet another (unheard) version somewhere in the vaults...Bruce has said he sang on "a couple" of Beach Boys versions, one being the 1978 "L.A." outtake.  Apparently (from those who've heard it), the 1974 version is just Brian and a piano.

I am aware of a 1978 version that has a (disinterested) Brian lead vocal.
Shady
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #1093 on: June 17, 2013, 09:11:25 AM »

You don't know that at all. The only two songs that we know that Brian pushed for at all are Marcella and Add Some Music. We also know that it was *Mike* who wanted Heroes & Villains included.

The setlists for the tour were very, *VERY* close to those that Mike does on his longer theatre shows. I just did a comparison of the 55-song Wembley show and the 52-song set that Mike, Bruce and David did at the Manchester Apollo in 2008.

Thirty-nine songs were performed at both, including stuff like All This Is That, Disney Girls, Cottonfields,Forever, Wendy, In My Room, Kiss Me Baby and so on as well as the obvious hits. The sixteen songs performed at Wembley but not on the 2008 show were:
Please Let Me Wonder, This Whole World, Getcha Back, Isn't It Time, Come Go with Me, It's OK, Be True to Your School, Pet Sounds, Add Some Music to Your Day, Heroes and Villains, I Just Wasn't Made for These Times, California Saga: California, That's Why God Made the Radio, Summer's Gone, All Summer Long, and Rock and Roll Music

The thirteen songs performed by Mike, Bruce and David in 2008 but not performed at Wembley were:
Surf City, Good Timin',  Good To My Baby, The Warmth Of The Sun, Let Him Run Wild, I Can Hear Music, Still Cruisin', You Still Believe In Me, Here Today, Their Hearts Were Full Of Spring, Cool Head, Warm Heart, Everyone's In Love With You, and 'Til I Die

I would argue that on any reasonable metric there's no real difference between those two lists in terms of quality, obscurity, artistic value or what have you. I don't think Til I Die is a 'safer' choice than I Just Wasn't Made For These Times, and certainly not a safer choice than Getcha Back, It's OK, All Summer Long or Rock And Roll Music.

When Mike and Bruce do a longer show, the setlist (if not the performance) is close enough to the sets from last year as makes no difference. By all accounts Mike was in charge of the setlists last year, and while the others made suggestions that were included (Our Prayer from Al, Marcella, Add Some Music and presumably This Whole World from Brian) all the evidence suggests that if they hadn't made any suggestions at all, we'd still have had nearly identical setlists.

wow, incredible research, thanks.

I have to say though the inclusions from other band members were the touches that I really enjoyed. Following the intermission with "Pet Sounds" then "Add some Music", ending the show with "Summer's Gone" really made the show for me.

I've always said Mike and Bruce have a great set list, I'm amazed that they played "You still believe in me" that's incredible, but I stand by my point that it's a good thing the setlist was a group effort and not just Mike, his obvious inclusions like Rock n Roll music , Betsy, It's Ok among others were some of the lowlights of the show I was at.

Bean Bag
Smiley Smile Associate

Right?

View Profile
« Reply #1094 on: June 17, 2013, 09:14:36 AM »

Fair enough.  Courtesy of AGD, I counted 48 of the 50 tracks found on 50 Big Ones are included in MIC.  I think that was part of my point.

Nothing of the sort - your actual words were "but 2/3 of it is 50 Big Ones", which is, demonstrably, utter and complete nonsense, not to mention piss-poor math on your part. 48 out of 174 is just over 27.5% - some considerable way short of 66.67%.
Nope, you're wrong.  What I said was far more correct than that.  It wasn't complete and utter nonsense.  Wanna know why?

I meant "50 Big Ones" in terms of "type of content" -- greatest hits -- not the literal tracklist of 50 Big Ones.  YET.. the fact that nearly 30% of this is ACTUALLY 50 Big Ones, is more than I thought.

Piss-poor my azz.

« Last Edit: June 17, 2013, 09:16:10 AM by Bean Bag » Logged

Andrew G. Doe
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile WWW
« Reply #1095 on: June 17, 2013, 09:17:30 AM »

Because I have nothing better to do, track breakdown by, er... type ?

Top 40 hit
other charting single (either side)
entirely previously unreleased

CD 1
----
1.    Home Recordings / "Surfin'" Rehearsal Highlights (2012 Edit - Mono)
2.    Surfin' (with Session Intro - Mono)
3.    Their Hearts Were Full Of Spring (Demo - Mono)
4.    Surfin' Safari (Original Mono Long Version)
5.    409 (Original Mono Long Version)
6.    Lonely Sea (Original Mono Mix)
7.    Surfin' U.S.A.
8.    Shut Down (2003 Stereo Mix)
9.    Surfer Girl
10.   Little Deuce Coupe

11.   Catch A Wave
12.   Our Car Club
13.   Surfers Rule (with Session Intro)
14.   In My Room
15.   Back Home
16.   Be True To Your School (Mono Single Version)
17.   Ballad Of Ole' Betsy
18.   Little Saint Nick (Stereo Single Version)
19.   Fun, Fun, Fun (Mono Single Version)
20.   Little Honda
21.   Don't Worry Baby (2009 Stereo Mix)
22.   Why Do Fools Fall In Love (2009 Stereo Mix)
23.   The Warmth Of The Sun
24.   I Get Around (with Session Intro - Mono)
25.   Wendy (2007 Stereo Mix)
26.   All Summer Long (2007 Stereo Mix)
27.   Girls On The Beach
28.   Don't Back Down
29.   When I Grow Up (To Be A Man) (2012 Stereo Mix)
30.   All Dressed Up For School (Mono)
31.   Please Let Me Wonder (2007 Stereo Mix)

32.   Kiss Me, Baby (2000 Stereo Mix)
33.   In The Back of My Mind (2012 Stereo Mix)
34.   Dance, Dance, Dance (2003 Stereo Mix)

CD 2
----
1.    Do You Wanna Dance (2012 Stereo Mix)
2.    Help Me, Rhonda (Mono Single Version)
3.    California Girls (2002 Stereo Mix)

4.    Amusement Parks USA (Early Version)
5.    Salt Lake City (2001 Stereo Mix)
6.    Let Him Run Wild (2007 Stereo Mix)
7.    Graduation Day (Session Excerpt and Master Take, 2012 Mix)
8.    The Little Girl I Once Knew (Mono)
9.    There's No Other (Like My Baby) (2012 "Unplugged" Mix with Party Session
      Intro)
10.   Barbara-fucking-Ann (2012 Stereo Mix)
11.   Radio Spot "Wonderful KYA" (Mono)
12.   Sloop John B (1996 Stereo Mix)
13.   Wouldn't It Be Nice (2001 Stereo Mix)
14.   God Only Knows (1996 Stereo Mix)

15.   I Just Wasn't Made For These Times (1996 Stereo Mix)
16.   Caroline No (1996 Stereo Mix)
17.   Good Vibrations (Mono)

18.   Our Prayer (2012 "Smile Sessions" Stereo Mix)
19.   Heroes And Villains: Part 1 ("Smile Sessions" Mix - Mono)
20.   Heroes And Villains: Part 2 ("Smile Sessions" Mix - Mono)
21.   Vega-Tables ("Smile Sessions" Stereo Mix)
22.   Wind Chimes ("Smile Sessions" Stereo Mix)
23.   The Elements: Fire (Mrs. O'Leary's Cow) ("Smile Sessions" Mix - Mono)
24.   Cabin Essence ("Smile Sessions" Mix - Mono)
25.   Heroes And Villains (2012 Stereo Mix)
26.   Wonderful (2012 Stereo Mix)
27.   Country Air (2012 Stereo Mix)
28.   Wild Honey (2012 Stereo Mix)

CD 3
----
1.    Darlin' (2012 Stereo Mix)
2.    Let The Wind Blow (2001 Stereo Mix)
3.    Meant For You (Alternate Version)
4.    Friends
5.    Little Bird
6.    Busy Doin' Nothin'
7.    Sail Plane Song (2012 Stereo Mix)
8.    We're Together Again (2012 Stereo Mix)
9.    Radio Spot "Murray The K" (Mono)
10.   Do It Again (2012 Stereo Mix)
11.   Old Man River (Vocal Section)
12.   Be With Me
13.   I Can Hear Music

14.   Time To Get Alone
15.   I Went To Sleep
16.   Can't Wait Too Long (A Cappella)
17.   Break Away (Alternate Version)
18.   Celebrate The News
19.   Cotton Fields (The Cotton Song) (Single Version, 2001 Stereo Mix)
20.   Susie Cincinnati (2012 Mix)
21.   Good Time
22.   Slip On Through
23.   Add Some Music To Your Day
24.   This Whole World
25.   Forever
26.   It's About Time
27.   Soulful Old Man Sunshine
28.   Fallin' In Love (2009 Stereo Mix)
29.   Sound Of Free (Mono Single Version)
30.   'Til I Die
31.   Surf's Up

CD 4
----
1.    Don't Go Near The Water
2.    Disney Girls (1957)
3.    Feel Flows
4.    (Wouldn't It Be Nice To) Live Again
5.    Marcella
6.    All This Is That
7.    Sail On Sailor
8.    The Trader
9.    California Saga (On My Way To Sunny Californ-I-A)
10.   Rock And Roll Music (2012 Mix w/Extra Verse)
11.   It's OK (Alternate Mix)

12.   Had To Phone Ya
13.   Let Us Go On This Way
14.   I'll Bet He's Nice
15.   Solar System
16.   The Night Was So Young
17.   It's Over Now (Alternate Mix)
18.   Come Go With Me
19.   California Feelin'
20.   Brian's Back (Alternate Mix)
21.   Good Timin'
22.   Angel Come Home
23.   Baby Blue
24.   It's A Beautiful Day (Single Edit) (2012 Mix)
25.   Goin' To The Beach

CD 5
----
1.     Goin' On
2.     Why Don't They Let Us Fall In Love
3.     Da Doo Ron Ron

4.     Getcha Back
5.     California Dreamin'

6.     Kokomo

7.     Soul Searchin'
8.     You're Still A Mystery

9.     That's Why God Made The Radio
10.    Isn't It Time (Single Version)
 THE BEACH BOYS LIVE:
-------------------------------------------------------------
11.    Runaway (Chicago 1965 -- w/Concert Promo Intro - Mono)
12.    You're So Good To Me (Paris 1966 - Mono)
13.    The Letter (Hawaii Rehearsal 1967)
14.    Friends (Chicago 1968 - Mono)
15.    Little Bird (Chicago 1968 - Mono)
16.    All I Want To Do (London 1968)
17.    Help Me, Rhonda (New Jersey 1972)
18.    Wild Honey (New Jersey 1972)
19.    Only With You (New York 1972)
20.    It's About Time (Chicago 1973)
21.    I Can Hear Music (Maryland 1975)
22.    Vegetables (New York 1993)
23.    Wonderful (New York 1993)
24.    Sail On Sailor (Louisville 1995)
25.    Summer In Paradise (Wembley 1993)

CD 6
----
FROM THE VAULTS:
---------------------------------------------------------------------------
1.     Radio Spot (1966 -- Mono)
2.     Slip On Through (A Cappella Mix)
3.     Don't Worry Baby (Stereo Session Outtake w/ Alternate Lead Vocal)
4.     Pom Pom Play Girl (Vocal Session Highlight)
5.     Guess I'm Dumb (Instrumental Track w/Background Vocals)
6.     Sherry She Needs Me (1965 Track w/1976 Vocal)
7.     Mona Kana (Instrumental Track)

8.     This Whole World (A Cappella)
9.     Where Is She?
10.    Had To Phone Ya (Instrumental Track)
11.    SMiLE Backing Vocals Montage (from "The Smile Sessions")
12.    Good Vibrations (Stereo Track Sections)
13.    Be With Me (Demo)
14.    I Believe In Miracles (Vocal Section)
15.    Why (Instrumental Track)
16.    Barnyard Blues

17.    Don't Go Near The Water (Instrumental Track)
18.    You've Lost That Lovin' Feeling
19.    Transcendental Meditation (Instrumental Track)
20.    Our Sweet Love (Vocals w/Strings)
21.    Back Home (1970 Version)
22.    California Feelin' (Original Demo)

23.    California Girls ("Lei'd In Hawaii" Studio Version)
24.    Help You, Rhonda ("Lei'd In Hawaii" Studio Version)
25.    Surf's Up (1967 Version) (2012 Mix)
26.    My Love Lives On
27.    Radio Spot (1964 - Mono)
28.    Wendy (BBC -- Live in the Studio 1964 - Mono)
29.    When I Grow Up (To Be A Man) (BBC -- Live in the Studio 1964 - Mono)
30.    Hushabye (BBC -- Live in the Studio 1964 - Mono)
31.    Carl Wilson: Coda (2013 Edit)
« Last Edit: June 17, 2013, 09:34:13 AM by Andrew G. Doe » Logged

Andrew G. Doe
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile WWW
« Reply #1096 on: June 17, 2013, 09:22:05 AM »

Yeah, Adam Marsland mentioned it a few years ago.

Here's that post:
There may be yet another (unheard) version somewhere in the vaults...Bruce has said he sang on "a couple" of Beach Boys versions, one being the 1978 "L.A." outtake.  Apparently (from those who've heard it), the 1974 version is just Brian and a piano.

I am aware of a 1978 version that has a (disinterested) Brian lead vocal.

That one is NOT widely booted - not booted at all, in fact - and there's no way it's going to be included on this box. Even on disc six.  Grin

drbeachboy
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #1097 on: June 17, 2013, 09:27:57 AM »

Fair enough.  Courtesy of AGD, I counted 48 of the 50 tracks found on 50 Big Ones are included in MIC.  I think that was part of my point.

Nothing of the sort - your actual words were "but 2/3 of it is 50 Big Ones", which is, demonstrably, utter and complete nonsense, not to mention piss-poor math on your part. 48 out of 174 is just over 27.5% - some considerable way short of 66.67%.
Nope, you're wrong.  What I said was far more correct than that.  It wasn't complete and utter nonsense.  Wanna know why?

I meant "50 Big Ones" in terms of "type of content" -- greatest hits -- not the literal tracklist of 50 Big Ones.  YET.. the fact that nearly 30% of this is ACTUALLY 50 Big Ones, is more than I thought.

Piss-poor my azz.

You are pushing it on your explanation. I doubt anyone took what you posted the same way as your explanation. I know that I surely didn't. Either way, no big whoop. Smiley

The Brianista Prayer

Oh Brian
Thou Art In Hawthorne,
Harmonied Be Thy name
Your Kingdom Come,
Your Steak Well Done,
On Stage As It Is In Studio,
Give Us This Day, Our Shortenin' Bread
And Forgive Us Our Bootlegs,
As We Also Have Forgiven Our Wife And Managers,
And Lead Us Not Into Kokomo,
But Deliver Us From Mike Love.
Amen.  ---hypehat
monicker
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #1098 on: June 17, 2013, 09:28:03 AM »

Personally I could've done without the Smile Sessions version of Vegetables because quite frankly I don't think they did that much of a good job of it, it's a mess with some seriously sloppy editing.

There is no sloppy editing on Vega-Tables at all, that is actually the best edited track on the entire CD with the most seamless, clean edits (worth noting too that it was edited by Alan Boyd) Of any of the tracks from TSS you could have called out for sloppy editing...

Don't be eccentric, this is a BEACH BOYS forum, for God's sake!
Jason
« Reply #1099 on: June 17, 2013, 09:30:12 AM »

Andrew, Da Doo Ron Ron and Why Don't They Let Us Fall In Love are also completely previously unreleased. But they WERE booted at one point!
gfx
Pages: 1 ... 39 40 41 42 43 [44] 45 46 47 48 49 ... 112 Go Up Print 
gfx
Jump to:  
gfx