gfxgfx

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
logo

gfx gfx
gfx
680753 Posts in 27615 Topics by 4068 Members - Latest Member: Dae Lims April 20, 2024, 07:47:39 AM
gfx*HomeHelpSearchCalendarLoginRegistergfx
gfxgfx
Pages: 1 ... 22 23 24 25 26 [27] 28 29 30 31 32 ... 112 Go Down Print
Author Topic: MiC up for order on Amazon, August release  (Read 440836 times)
runnersdialzero
Smiley Smile Associate

I WILL NEVER GO TO SCHOOL

View Profile
« Reply #650 on: June 12, 2013, 10:26:49 PM »

Prices always vary between being initially posted and the final price, sometimes drastically. I'd really think this one will come down, at least a bit.

I suppose it wouldn't hurt to have a one cd "best of the GV box" for all the unreleased tracks. But it's somewhat late in the game for that.

Now, I do think it would have been a better choice to include Somewhere Near Japan and possibly Island Girl over Barbra Ann and Kokomo.

Hay, we're on the same page, there. ^_^
« Last Edit: June 12, 2013, 10:29:31 PM by runnersdialzero! » Logged

Tell me it's okay.
Tell me you still love me.
People make mistakes.
People make mistakes.
Jay
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #651 on: June 12, 2013, 10:28:44 PM »

Hell, I wouldn't even mind "Slow Summer Dancing"(One Summer Night), or whatever it's called. I'd take that over Disney Girls.

A son of anarchy surrounded by the hierarchy.
Jonathan Blum
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #652 on: June 12, 2013, 10:34:29 PM »

Imagine if the SMILE box set left off "Cabinessence" or "Surfs Up."  Imagine if instead of the MIC, you get a CD
with "WITBTLA" for $145 and that's it.

...But they didn't.

Just like they didn't this time.

So, people aren't complaining like they are.

As people have said, it's not gonna cost you $145 if all you want is "Live Again".

You mean to tell me your gang of self-righteous Capitol worshippers wouldn't
be pointing it out?  One guys "pointing it out" is another guys "complaining."

One guy's "self-righteous Capitol worshippers" probably tips their "pointing it out" over the edge into "complaining"...

Regards,
Jon Blum
Wirestone
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #653 on: June 12, 2013, 10:35:16 PM »

POINT MISSED, STONEY.

POINT.

MISSED.

Cry

Generally speaking, people bemoan something going out of print because it becomes either difficult to obtain or prohibitively expensive. Neither of those things are the case here. So what is precisely being lost? And don't say it's the ability to go in a store and buy a twofer or the Good Vibes set, because most stores weren't stocking them within the past few years anyway. So in that case, you're bemoaning the fact you can't order them online. Which you can.
« Last Edit: June 12, 2013, 10:36:07 PM by Wirestone » Logged
runnersdialzero
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #654 on: June 12, 2013, 10:35:40 PM »

I have to say, I'm pleased as punch to see Summer In Paradise represented at all after it being intentionally excluded from the tour pamphlet last year. It's like yeah, the album's a piece of crap, but it's your piece of crap, you can't revise history and attempting to do so will only make you look like a buffoon. Good for them.

Tell me it's okay.
People make mistakes.
People make mistakes.
Wirestone
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #655 on: June 12, 2013, 10:36:33 PM »

I have to say, I'm pleased as punch to see Summer In Paradise represented at all after it being intentionally excluded from the tour pamphlet last year. It's like yeah, the album's a piece of crap, but it's your piece of crap, you can't revise history and attempting to do so will only make you look like a buffoon. Good for them.

Then where is Stars and Stripes?  Evil
Gertie J.
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #656 on: June 12, 2013, 10:39:55 PM »

its technically not a bb album.

dj, blogger, and hanger-on
runnersdialzero
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #657 on: June 12, 2013, 10:43:00 PM »

Generally speaking, people bemoan something going out of print because it becomes either difficult to obtain or prohibitively expensive. Neither of those things are the case here. So what is precisely being lost? And don't say it's the ability to go in a store and buy a twofer, because most stores didn't stock them to begin with. So in that case, you're bemoaning the fact you can't order them online. Which you can.

My biggest point is why does this song deserve any level of obscurity below "It's Over Now" or the other already released non-album stuff on the box set? Why does Brian not deserve the pennies he'd see from it in royalties if it had been included or if the Good Vibes box were still in print? *

I know Brian ain't hurtin' for money, but it's the principle. I can get anything I want instantly in the digital age, but damn it, this song deserves a spot on a career retrospective box set (meant to replace previous career retrospective box set which DID include it) and Brian deserves those pennies.

* iTunes doesn't count, iTunes never counts, I shouldn't have to purchase a lesser quality file (ew!) through iTunes (EW) to make sure Brian sees them there pennies. Again, it's the principle.
« Last Edit: June 12, 2013, 10:44:45 PM by runnersdialzero! » Logged

Tell me it's okay.
People make mistakes.
People make mistakes.
Jonathan Blum
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #658 on: June 12, 2013, 10:56:14 PM »

You have to blame The Beach Boys for that one. If they really wanted their unreleased tracks released it could easily happen but they could care less.

"It's almost like the Beach Boys don't *want* to release these tracks they haven't released for 30-40 years!"

Think about what you're saying here, folks...

Cheers,
Jon Blum
Mendota Heights
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #659 on: June 13, 2013, 12:22:18 AM »

Why are people complaining about "Going To The Beach" being included on MIC? Correct me if I'm wrong, but I think the only thing we have of it is an instrumental backing track. For all we know, the fully completed track with vocals may very well kick ass.

I've heard GTTB with vocals.

I have been dubbed Mr. Pet Sounds and Mr. Country Love by polite and honored board member Smile Brian. I hope I live up to those esteemed titles.
Jay
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #660 on: June 13, 2013, 12:28:21 AM »

Why are people complaining about "Going To The Beach" being included on MIC? Correct me if I'm wrong, but I think the only thing we have of it is an instrumental backing track. For all we know, the fully completed track with vocals may very well kick ass.

I've heard part of the instrumental track with some vocals overdubbed from the KTSA documentary. Is that what you're talking about?

tansen
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #661 on: June 13, 2013, 12:33:47 AM »

Of course customers have the right to do this. But first of all, you are not a customer if you are saying you won't buy the box set. Second of all, if you do buy the box set and THEN feel ripped of, then you just haven't done you research properly - e.g. you already know what's on the box. Of course you can be disappointed, and hoped for other/more tracks, but you there's no point in feeling ripped off since you don't actually have to buy the box set.

All of us on the board are customers because we buy Beach Boys/Capitol products. Just because we might not buy every single thing they release does not stop us from being customers.

These are semantics. Overall you might be a customer of Beach Boys products. But just because you have bought Capitol products in the past, doesn't make you a customer of this box set IMO - a previous customer at best. Regardless, my point is that you shouldn't feel ripped off until you've actually spent money on the set. And even then you shoudn't feel ripped off, since you knew the contents before you made the purchase.

Tansen - "He Who Commands an Army of Notes"
Nicko1234
« Reply #662 on: June 13, 2013, 12:46:03 AM »

I think the Good Vibes Box was different.  It was much cheaper.  And at that time, I personally didn't have a lot of that stuff.  SMiLE sh-t.  Disc 4!! --The 70s stuff (was it even on CD before??).  The first disc was the hits but it had nicer sound than my crap 80's CDs and cassettes.  And it had a helping of rarities, too I think.  Disc 3 was peppered with cool stuff I didn't have.  Disc 2 was SMiLE!

I think these are very good points and I would say that any casual fan would have to have more money than sense to buy this. Back in 1993 a lot of stuff was unavailable but things are different now. For the price of this set any casual fan could afford to buy 50 Big Ones, Pet Sounds, Smile and several of the twofers. That would make a lot more sense than buying this.
runnersdialzero
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #663 on: June 13, 2013, 12:50:30 AM »

Of course customers have the right to do this. But first of all, you are not a customer if you are saying you won't buy the box set. Second of all, if you do buy the box set and THEN feel ripped of, then you just haven't done you research properly - e.g. you already know what's on the box. Of course you can be disappointed, and hoped for other/more tracks, but you there's no point in feeling ripped off since you don't actually have to buy the box set.

All of us on the board are customers because we buy Beach Boys/Capitol products. Just because we might not buy every single thing they release does not stop us from being customers.

These are semantics. Overall you might be a customer of Beach Boys products. But just because you have bought Capitol products in the past, doesn't make you a customer of this box set IMO - a previous customer at best. Regardless, my point is that you shouldn't feel ripped off until you've actually spent money on the set. And even then you shoudn't feel ripped off, since you knew the contents before you made the purchase.

It's not "Capitol products", it's Beach Boys products. Fans put the food on their table, fans put them where they are. Fans who have followed their career, basically investing in this whole crazy thing, have a right to complain if they feel they're being shorted even if they're not purchasing it because they feel put off by the tracklist. That's how I feel anyway.

Tell me it's okay.
People make mistakes.
People make mistakes.
tansen
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #664 on: June 13, 2013, 12:57:58 AM »

It's not "Capitol products", it's Beach Boys products. Fans put the food on their table, fans put them where they are. Fans who have followed their career, basically investing in this whole crazy thing, have a right to complain if they feel they're being shorted even if they're not purchasing it because they feel put off by the tracklist. That's how I feel anyway.

And I am certainly one of them. And like I stated previously, I see no problem in people being disappointed in the track listing, even if they don't buy it. But again, you can't feel ripped off unless you actually buy something. Personally I am glad they are releasing anything, and I welcome any Beach Boys release. If the alternative was no box set, then i sure as heck rather take what I'm getting.
(and people who still think the box set is $130, do some "#%! research, and you'll find it 25 bucks cheaper).

Mendota Heights
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #665 on: June 13, 2013, 01:06:29 AM »

I've heard part of the instrumental track with some vocals overdubbed from the KTSA documentary. Is that what you're talking about?

Yeah.

I have been dubbed Mr. Pet Sounds and Mr. Country Love by polite and honored board member Smile Brian. I hope I live up to those esteemed titles.
Nicko1234
« Reply #666 on: June 13, 2013, 01:11:07 AM »

You are right it is semantics but to be honest I haven't really heard your definition much before (maybe a geographical thing). For example, we normally talk about somebody being a customer of a store or a brand rather than one specific product I would say. And some people, myself included, are considering buying individual tracks anyway so have to be classed as customers.

I think people can feel something is a rip off without feeling they themselves have been personally ripped off. This set imo should not appeal to any sensible casual fan and so is firmly for the hardcore fans. I do think the current price (much much higher than sets for other artists) can be classed as a 'rip off' although that is a harsh term. I do think Capitol have thought to themselves, 'How can we get the most possible money from the hardcore fans? Include a bunch of songs they already have along with a collectors book and we can charge them $130 for the 2 discs of stuff they will actually want.'
tansen
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #667 on: June 13, 2013, 01:24:04 AM »

You are right it is semantics but to be honest I haven't really heard your definition much before (maybe a geographical thing). For example, we normally talk about somebody being a customer of a store or a brand rather than one specific product I would say. And some people, myself included, are considering buying individual tracks anyway so have to be classed as customers.

I think people can feel something is a rip off without feeling they themselves have been personally ripped off. This set imo should not appeal to any sensible casual fan and so is firmly for the hardcore fans. I do think the current price (much much higher than sets for other artists) can be classed as a 'rip off' although that is a harsh term. I do think Capitol have thought to themselves, 'How can we get the most possible money from the hardcore fans? Include a bunch of songs they already have along with a collectors book and we can charge them $130 for the 2 discs of stuff they will actually want.'

Well, regardless of whether you call yourself a customer or not, my point remains. I don't believe Capitol are aiming for the hard core fans, but rather regular fans. That's my feeling anyways. And it's a 100 bucks for 6 CDs of music which ok, i agree, it's a bit steep these days, but still I can make the choice to rather buy individual tracks if I didn't want to spend money on rehashed material. And as long as this is a option - which we can only presume it will be - I don't think the term 'ripped off' is valid. Pixletwin wrote a really good definition furher up:

"Releasing a product that does not appeal to a specific consumer is not called a "rip off". Releasing a product that does not contain what it purports to contain after a transaction has occurred is a "rip off"."

Nicko1234
« Reply #668 on: June 13, 2013, 01:34:20 AM »

I don't believe Capitol are aiming for the hard core fans, but rather regular fans.

I just can't see it unfortunately. A regular fan could probably get pretty much everything the band did from Surfer Girl through to Love You for this price if they shopped around a little.

This is a genuine question (for anyone on the board) but if you were working in a record store and a regular fan came in and asked you for your genuine opinion on whether they should buy this for $130 what would you say? I would ask whether they had Sounds of Summer/Warmth of the Sun or 50 Big Ones. If they do have them then stay away from this and if they don't have them then that's where their money should be going. Buying this set wouldn't make any sense.

AndrewHickey
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #669 on: June 13, 2013, 01:57:44 AM »

Fans who have followed their career, basically investing in this whole crazy thing, have a right to complain if they feel they're being shorted even if they're not purchasing it because they feel put off by the tracklist.

But none of us have "invested" in them. We've paid for records, CDs, DVDs and shows. Those have been delivered.

More to the point, though, the reaction here seems very, very odd. We've known for eighteen months now pretty much exactly what this would be. Not the precise details, but that it'd be a six-CD set, covering their whole career, and about two CDs of it would be previously unreleased.

Now it seems that the same people who a week or so ago were jumping up and down going "gimme gimme gimme!" are now the ones saying "WTF? They included Kokomo and Surfin' USA?! KILL THEM WITH FIRE!"

The other way round would have made sense -- people complaining when it was first announced that the Beach Boys don't need another box set -- but from the vehemence of the reaction I can only conclude that a lot of people on this board (not everyone with problems with the set, but I suspect the vast majority) had managed to delude themselves as to what was actually going to happen.

And for those for whom that's the case... well, it's not Universal's fault, or the Beach Boys' fault, or anyone else's except your own that you managed to convince yourself of something that no-one ever said was going to happen, so if you're angry at anyone it should be at yourself.

The Smiley Smile ignore function: http://andrewhickey.info/the-smiley-smile-ignore-button-sort-of/
Most recent update 03/12/15
Iron Horse-Apples
« Reply #670 on: June 13, 2013, 02:24:39 AM »

I'm not surprised by this reaction Andrew. This is a site for the full on fans, a lot of them obsessive and easily offended (as uber fans often are). This set was announced 10 months ago and, I suspect one of the reasons people came here everyday was to check for news of this release. It's a big deal.

People are moaning because they are disappointed. That's not hard to get your head round. The opposing side is the one I have trouble understanding. (I don't mean you necessaily, as you're right - this was what was announced all those months ago) I just don't understand this need to stop any negative viewpoint from  surfacing. I can only think that some people feel threatened by the negative views, as they feel their tastes are being judged or impugned in some way.

I'm saying all this from the viewpoint of someone who is very excited about the tracklist. I think we're going to get some real treasures, after all, what can we really tell from some of these titles? I'm hoping that those who feel let down will be in for some surprises, and I'm glad we have the opportunity to cherry pick from the tracks, as $130 is a lot of money.

« Last Edit: June 13, 2013, 02:26:47 AM by (Stephen Newcombe) » Logged
Jay
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #671 on: June 13, 2013, 02:32:08 AM »

I wouldn't be at all surprised if the price dropped down to around $75-$90 in a month or so.

Iron Horse-Apples
« Reply #672 on: June 13, 2013, 02:35:11 AM »

Try the canadian amazon site. It was cheaper there.
Jukka
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #673 on: June 13, 2013, 02:38:38 AM »

I don't have any problems with the box. It looks cool and there's lots to be excited about. But still I'm sad, 'cos this is probably their last archival release for a looooong time, and there are so many great songs still without official release (and at least one whole album, Adult/Child). I guess it was unrealistic to expect that this would be the definitive answer to my prayers, with all the unreleased gems (that matter) in one place... Alas, it was not to be. Man, if they had skipped some of the backing tracks and stack-o-vocals, maybe even some of the lives, they could have easily crammed more genuinely unreleased stuff there.

I still wish that one day we'll have a some kind of Beach Boys anthology that empties the vaults. But I'm not holding my breath. It's just sad. So much great and/or interesting music still unreleased. And I don't think A/C is a commercially viable stand-alone release (at least that's what the execs probably think), so it would have made sense to include at least bulk of it on this box. But no, and that's it for now.

And hey, why no Battle Hymn of the Republic?! While no gem, it's historically significant part of their lore.

"Surfing and cars were okay but there was a war going on."
Paulos
« Reply #674 on: June 13, 2013, 02:40:48 AM »

Try the canadian amazon site. It was cheaper there.

Still is cheaper - when converted into US Dollars the price is $110. But saying that the box is definitely $145 *supports* peoples position that Capitol and The Beach Boys are trying to forcibly rape us.
gfx
Pages: 1 ... 22 23 24 25 26 [27] 28 29 30 31 32 ... 112 Go Up Print 
gfx
Jump to:  
gfx