gfxgfx

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
logo

gfx gfx
gfx
681509 Posts in 27639 Topics by 4082 Members - Latest Member: briansclub June 09, 2024, 09:45:27 PM
gfx*HomeHelpSearchCalendarLoginRegistergfx
gfxgfx
Pages: 1 ... 21 22 23 24 25 [26] 27 28 29 30 31 ... 112 Go Down Print
Author Topic: MiC up for order on Amazon, August release  (Read 445478 times)
sockittome
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #625 on: June 12, 2013, 04:35:07 PM »

Perhaps we could start a new thread concentrating on the track listing. People have every right to gripe, but I'd like to start salivating over what we have, rather than bemoaning what we didn't get.

If everyone can agree that the glass is at least half full (rather than, well, you know...) then maybe we can have world peace.
Mahalo
Smiley Smile Associate

..Stand back, Speak normally

View Profile
« Reply #626 on: June 12, 2013, 05:12:58 PM »

If everyone can agree that the glass is at least half full

Half full of what is the question....and some might say it is closer to 34% full....

Just havin' fun, that's all.
Peter Reum
Honored Guest

Serving fine tortillas since 1965

View Profile
« Reply #627 on: June 12, 2013, 05:46:17 PM »

I did a brief overview of the track listing at Reuminations, my blog on blogspot.com. I for one, am looking forward to the set.

If it runs amuck, call the duck
TV Forces
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #628 on: June 12, 2013, 06:02:01 PM »

Can't believe everyone whining on here... Jesus, just don't buy it then! I'll listen to all the rarities on your behalf, suits me.

'Boo hoo, the track-list wasn't exactly as I wanted it to be'. Well me neither, but I'm still beside myself with excitement at the prospect of hearing this stuff.

It's WIBNTLA for Christ's sake! Just that track alone is enough to get me drooling... Some of you sound like spoilt children. Or rather, Phil.

Imagine if the SMILE box set left off "Cabinessence" or "Surfs Up."  Imagine if instead of the MIC, you get a CD
with "WITBTLA" for $145 and that's it.  You mean to tell me your gang of self-righteous Capitol worshippers wouldn't
be pointing it out?  One guys "pointing it out" is another guys "complaining."   You guys who will hand over $130
for nothing need to stop being so sensitive and realize that on a discussion forum there will be, GASP,
OTHER POINTS OF VIEW!
TV Forces
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #629 on: June 12, 2013, 06:03:14 PM »

I'll complain all day long though about what I perceive as serious missed opportunities with MIC.

Not allowed.  Blind worship only.
runnersdialzero
Smiley Smile Associate

I WILL NEVER GO TO SCHOOL

View Profile
« Reply #630 on: June 12, 2013, 06:07:53 PM »

I wanted to quote everything monicker said because he's always about 100% right, but it made the message too long. Just go here: http://smileysmile.net/board/index.php?action=profile;u=3025;sa=showPosts

I'm damn excited about this release, but there are some huge holes in the tracklist. I'm not one of those irrational folks who expect Capitol to just give us everything all at once, I didn't expect even a fourth of the inclusions I'd put on a release like this (and in fact got much, much less than even my bare minimum expectations) but how can things like Adult Child be completely ignored in this sans a song that was already released? Also, what's the fate of stuff like "Still I Dream Of It" that's not completely out of print?

Why are these guys not focusing on getting more out there that have been bootlegged? You finally see some money off of these recordings, we finally get them in good quality. I'm not one of those "wahh we have teh mp3 already on the ultimate assmasters bootleg vol. 942". Hearing a proper source of this stuff beyond 4th generation cassettes etc. would be cool. Adult Child falls under this category big time and I'm sad to see it got completely shafted. Do Brian's people really hate this era of his songwriting that much? Or was it something else?

Also, despite Al saying the songs that didn't make That's Why God Made The Radio were going to be on the box, I was indeed skeptical that they'd be here. Still, I wonder why? More band politics? This is upsetting and a huge hole, too. Maybe they're being held onto in the unlikely event that they'll get another album out.

Also gotta say I'm excited for anything unreleased, and while it wasn't the finest stage of their career, they're really choosing to represent their 80s output with "Goin' To The Beach"? And six other songs, including another fucking release of "California Dreamin'"? A few additional tracks could've brought some much needed dignity to this era of their career. It's like yeah, it was the 80s, the Beach Boys sucked during this decade, everyone sucked during this decade, but not EVERYTHING they did during this era was bad.

Speaking of "Goin' To The Beach" - again, I'm happy to have anything these guys did that hasn't been released, but there are some strange, strange choices going on here. Most fans are of the opinion that what they have "Goin' To The Beach" blows donkey balls, to be polite about it. I love "Transcendental Meditation", but most of the fanbase hates it and I have to say a large part of its appeal is the 39 harmonized Brian vocals. I'm interested, but I'm probably one of only a few. Same for "Slip On Through" acapella, instrumental "Don't Go Near The Water", etc.

That's all, I guess. Agreed completely with Mr. Monicker that I don't understand box sets that are hits + album tracks + rarities. The first box set I ever got like this, years before I had a CD burner etc. I went home and listened to the 12 exclusive tracks. That's the only way I ever listened to it, really. If I wanted to hear the hits and album tracks I loved and knew, I'd listen to them in their original album format. I know a bunch of people tried to prove me wrong last time, but I don't see an expensive box set being an impulse buy from a casual fan unless this person has hundreds of dollars to throw around. I know there are exceptions, but there aren't many people out there like that. The Good Vibrations box set had a similar format but had a lot more meat to it in the way of hardcore fans.

IN CONCLUDOUSION, super excited about the stuff I haven't heard but also finding it odd that there's probably less than a dozen songs that aren't alternate mixes of hits or album tracks and also feeling like there's huge holes in the tracklist (ADULT CHILD, SERIOUSLY), some very strange choices, and wondering who these kinds of box sets appeal to. Again, want to express appreciation and excitement, but yet another Capitol release that, to me, drops the ball one too many times. My expectations were extremely minimal, I was very aware it was a career retrospective above a rarities compilation and yet those very minimal expectations weren't really met. I'm stoked x 395359 to hear some of these songs, but still.

Adult Child. What the f***. I know it's not on par with Smile, but it should have been handled similarly to the Smile material on the Good Vibes box in that a series of tracks should have been devoted to it on one of the discs. "Life Is For The Living" (why this hasn't been released anywhere is beyond me), "Everybody Wants To Live", speed-corrected "It's Over Now", "Shortenin' Bread", "It's Trying To Say" (this is one of the catchiest thing I've heard in my entire Gosh Darn life - again, WHY has this never been released?), and "Still I Dream Of It" are more than worthy of a release like this. Already bootlegged, you get money from them, the fanbase is happy with good quality versions, everybody wins. Unless they're planning a standalone release (they're not), I'm absolutely baffled as to why this material was ignored.

Tell me it's okay.
Tell me you still love me.
People make mistakes.
People make mistakes.
EgoHanger1966
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #631 on: June 12, 2013, 06:15:38 PM »

Great post, and I agree with most of that - although presumably It's Over Now (speed corrected) will be on the box...

I can see the exclusion of most of the Adult Child material - with the exception of Still I Dream of It - wonder who's decision it was to leave it off?

I am super duper excited, too, and not complaining, it's just interesting to think about why some of these choices were made. What's the logic behind including "Goin' To The Beach" and not "Stevie"? If you're including album cuts, what's up with "Our Car Club" but leaving off "She Knows Me Too Well"? Like we need more Pet Sounds for the billionth time, but if you're gonna put some in anyway, "Don't Talk" should be there. Again, not complaining, just letting my mind wander.

Hal Blaine:"You're gonna get a tomata all over yer puss!"
Brian: "Don't say puss."
Sheriff John Stone
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #632 on: June 12, 2013, 06:40:27 PM »

It just seems/seemed so simple. The Beach Boys should have two boxed sets. One boxed set would be comprised of released tracks including singles and selected album tracks. The second boxed set would be comprised of rare tracks including unreleased tracks and live material. The Beach Boys are an institution, and after 50+ years, they deserve it.
« Last Edit: June 12, 2013, 06:48:25 PM by Sheriff John Stone » Logged
Generation42
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #633 on: June 12, 2013, 06:41:14 PM »

If "My Love Lives On" is the same performance, it's been noted that it was started during the Caribou sessions, and then finished during the Bambu sessions. So...that might be one. Also, assuming it's the same performance, "Barnyard Blues" was also recorded during the Caribou sessions. So...that might be another.

Not to mention Brian's original demo for "California Feeling" in '74. Though, that one was apparently recorded at Western. Sweet! Smiley
Awesome!  Thanks much, Dave.
Mooger Fooger
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #634 on: June 12, 2013, 06:51:48 PM »

oOOooohhh I know. Why don't those fans who can do nothing better than whine about how a box set featuring ALOT of tracks that not 15 years ago were the realm of legend, jump in a time machine and experience the days when getting to hear that precious 10 second snippet of "Been Way Too Long" meant a 20th generation speed altered cassette dub with around 40dB of noise thrown in for good measure? Add the public ridicule that accompanied actually daring to like Good Vibrations. Then throw in a tour in your home town once every 6 years. Then you'll get an idea why some of us find the chronic complaining about how a truck load of songs-not-heard for over 30 years, being delayed by a whopping 2 months and then the tracklist not being up to your oh-so-perfect expectations, absolute and utter BS.

I understand and respect your point of view- on this and most other topics here on SSMB- but complaints about the tracklist is NOT "absolute and utter BS".

uuh yeah it is. and all this bitching falls directly in line with the predicted chain of events I said it would not 2 months ago on this very board.

« Last Edit: June 12, 2013, 06:54:19 PM by Mooger Fooger » Logged
wantsomecorn
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #635 on: June 12, 2013, 07:08:26 PM »

It just seems/seemed so simple. The Beach Boys should have two boxed sets. One boxed set would be comprised of released tracks including singles and selected album tracks. The second boxed set would be comprised of rare tracks including unreleased tracks and live material. The Beach Boys are an institution, and after 50+ years, they deserve it.
That would have been great. Made in California Volume 1: The Beach Boys Complete Singles Boxset (yeah, I know they did that one years ago with the ten billion CDs with four songs on them), a 3 disc set with every A&B side, easily marketable to casual & hardcore fans. Follow it up with Made in California Volume 2, containing album tracks, alt versions, deep cuts, and rarities.

On our way through this "backstage" maze, Bruce joined up with the group and said hello, singing "It Never Rains in Southern California" and joking with some of the older ladies. I'm not sure if they knew he was a Beach Boy or simply an enthusiastic elderly gay gentleman.
Shady
Smiley Smile Associate

I had to fix a lot of things this morning

View Profile
« Reply #636 on: June 12, 2013, 07:36:43 PM »

You have to blame The Beach Boys for that one. If they really wanted their unreleased tracks released it could easily happen but they could care less.

Man, I really wish they would take care of their catalogue

According to someone who would know.

Seriously, there was a Beach Boys Love You condom?!  Amazing.
bgas
Smiley Smile Associate

Oh for the good old days

View Profile
« Reply #637 on: June 12, 2013, 07:57:54 PM »

You have to blame The Beach Boys for that one. If they really wanted their unreleased tracks released it could easily happen but they could care less.

Man, I really wish they would take care of their catalogue

They have no blame here.  and I doubt they REALLY  WANT the unreleased tracks released; it's what they have to do to sell boxes. 
Capitol/the BB s are releasing a box set. My assessment:  They've set a price. ( I have no idea what the bottom line will be)  Whatevr it is, that's the price they believe it's worth. Whether you're buying the box for one song or all of them.
Seems very petty to say, I'm only willing to buy these 5 songs and only for $1 each ( or whatever they charge on iTunes)
Is that all WIBNTLA/ others is worth? ONE fucking dollar? 
Personally, I hope they don't make any of the unreleased songs/versions available anywhere except by buying the box.  OR charge $20, NO, $50 each.

Nothing I post is my opinion, it's all a message from God
mikeyj
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #638 on: June 12, 2013, 08:00:33 PM »

I've got to say that I'm not happy with the price of this release. As others have said, why can't they just release a 4-disc set for the casual fan and a 2-disc set for the hardcore fan? And buying the select tracks isn't exactly a bargain (at least on iTunes anyway) because 60 tracks x $2.19 (just assuming this will be the price) equals over $130 anyway! I'm sure there are other online options but it's still not great value considering you are getting lossy mp3 files with no liner notes and packaging. I think I'm just going to wait a while until either the price drops significantly or I can get one second hand.
Jay
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #639 on: June 12, 2013, 08:37:14 PM »

Why are people complaining about "Going To The Beach" being included on MIC? Correct me if I'm wrong, but I think the only thing we have of it is an instrumental backing track. For all we know, the fully completed track with vocals may very well kick ass. Also, Still I Dream Of It has already been released....we don't need it again. Now, it would be nice to get an officially released version of the circulating alternate take, but I won't lose much sleep over it.

A son of anarchy surrounded by the hierarchy.
♩♬🐸 Billy C ♯♫♩🐇
Pissing off drunks since 1978
Global Moderator

🍦🍦 Pet Demon for Sale - $5 or best offer ☮☮

View Profile WWW
« Reply #640 on: June 12, 2013, 09:47:28 PM »

Why are people complaining about "Going To The Beach" being included on MIC? Correct me if I'm wrong, but I think the only thing we have of it is an instrumental backing track. For all we know, the fully completed track with vocals may very well kick ass. Also, Still I Dream Of It has already been released....we don't need it again. Now, it would be nice to get an officially released version of the circulating alternate take, but I won't lose much sleep over it.
I agree.

Need your song mixed/mastered? Contact me at fear2stop@yahoo.com. Serious inquiries only, please!
runnersdialzero
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #641 on: June 12, 2013, 09:53:25 PM »

Great post, and I agree with most of that - although presumably It's Over Now (speed corrected) will be on the box...

Sorry - was just kind of tossing out what I thought would be a nice set of songs to include on this box from that era. If the new mix isn't the correct speed, I will piss my pants. Maybe Melinda just wanted it remixed to get rid of Marilyn's vocal. ^_^

I am super duper excited, too, and not complaining, it's just interesting to think about why some of these choices were made. What's the logic behind including "Goin' To The Beach" and not "Stevie"? If you're including album cuts, what's up with "Our Car Club" but leaving off "She Knows Me Too Well"? Like we need more Pet Sounds for the billionth time, but if you're gonna put some in anyway, "Don't Talk" should be there. Again, not complaining, just letting my mind wander.

Exactly. No one here was expecting the box to be their exact tracklist, their exact inclusions etc. but a lot of folks here are just scratching their heads a bit at some of the choices, exclusions etc. "Stevie" is a pretty well known hardcore fan favorite while lacking the, for lack of a better term, "big deal"ness that something like "Wouldn't It Be Nice To Live Again" gets from fans. It's already out there in shoddy quality, why not make some money off of it while simultaneously giving the real nerds something they'll really say "Whoa! I didn't expect this, someone must really be paying attention over there. Awesome!" to.

I'll grant you there are a couple tracks here that fall under that category, I appreciate it and I'm definitely excited for them and everything else here, but I don't think any are quite of the same status as something like "Stevie". Hard to explain, I guess.

Why are people complaining about "Going To The Beach" being included on MIC? Correct me if I'm wrong, but I think the only thing we have of it is an instrumental backing track. For all we know, the fully completed track with vocals may very well kick ass.

No one's complaining, just saying it's an odd inclusion given poor fan response to what we have heard of it. Maybe the final version is some kind of grand, drastic revision of what we know of it, but I really doubt it.

I'm totally excited to hear the finished version, I'm absolutely glad it's on here, but on a kind of self-important "career retrospective" thing, it's kind of an odd choice, that's all.

Also, Still I Dream Of It has already been released....we don't need it again.

On a now out of print box set which this was meant to replace, putting "Still I Dream Of It" out of circulation by legal means that gives the songwriter royalties, really. Nevermind that we "already have" the dozens of singles and album tracks, probably several times over for a lot of people here.
« Last Edit: June 12, 2013, 09:57:02 PM by runnersdialzero! » Logged

Tell me it's okay.
People make mistakes.
People make mistakes.
Jay
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #642 on: June 12, 2013, 10:00:06 PM »

Seeing as how we're all fairly hardcore fans, I doubt that many, if any people here have missed out on getting the GV box set. Even if people here don't have it I'd say that the odds are pretty good that those people either have the song already, or have at least heard it.

Wirestone
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #643 on: June 12, 2013, 10:04:02 PM »

Everyone knows that all of the twofers and previous box sets are still easily and cheaply available, right? You can buy a Good Vibes box on Amazon right now for $25. You can buy practically any of the twofers for $5. And all of them remain available through the digital media services. You can go on iTunes right now -- right this instant -- and download both the demo and studio versions of Still I Dream of It.  It's not like these tracks are being thrown into some deep, dark vault or anything.

(The one exception to this, for some reason, is the MIU / LA Light twofer, which they apparently only printed two copies of. You can still buy it digitally, though.)
Jay
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #644 on: June 12, 2013, 10:08:09 PM »

It took me about 10 years to get that damn MIU/L.A. Light twofer.  LOL

runnersdialzero
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #645 on: June 12, 2013, 10:11:44 PM »

Seeing as how we're all fairly hardcore fans, I doubt that many, if any people here have missed out on getting the GV box set. Even if people here don't have it I'd say that the odds are pretty good that those people either have the song already, or have at least heard it.
Everyone knows that all of the twofers and previous box sets are still easily and cheaply available, right? You can buy a Good Vibes box on Amazon right now for $25. You can buy practically any of the twofers for $5. And all of them remain available through the digital media services. You can go on iTunes right now -- right this instant -- and download both the demo and studio versions of Still I Dream of It.  It's not like these tracks are being thrown into some deep, dark vault or anything.

Yer missing the point. Does "Still I Dream Of It" deserve to remain out of print? Or, okay, not deserve to remain in print in CD quality? Does it not deserve a spot here alongside its other redundant but important brethren?

It's not a big deal or anything, just one of a couple dozen of the minor complaints about the tracklist alone which do add up and does matter in the end.

Tell me it's okay.
People make mistakes.
People make mistakes.
Wirestone
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #646 on: June 12, 2013, 10:16:18 PM »

Everyone knows that all of the twofers and previous box sets are still easily and cheaply available, right? You can buy a Good Vibes box on Amazon right now for $25. You can buy practically any of the twofers for $5. And all of them remain available through the digital media services. You can go on iTunes right now -- right this instant -- and download both the demo and studio versions of Still I Dream of It.  It's not like these tracks are being thrown into some deep, dark vault or anything.

Yer missing the point. Does "Still I Dream Of It" deserve to remain out of print? Or, okay, not deserve to remain in print in CD quality? Does it not deserve a spot here alongside its other redundant but important brethren?

It's not a big deal or anything, just one of a couple dozen of the minor complaints about the tracklist alone which do add up and does matter in the end.

If you can go on Amazon and buy a complete set of the Good Vibes box for less than half the price it retailed for, does that really qualify as being out of print? I mean, I understand the record company isn't running off any new copies, but still. Just about everything the band has released is easily available, for (mostly) dirt-cheap prices and in a physical format.
runnersdialzero
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #647 on: June 12, 2013, 10:18:40 PM »

If you can go on Amazon and buy a complete set of the Good Vibes box for less than half the price it retailed for, does that really qualify as being out of print? I mean, I understand the record company isn't running off any new copies, but still. Just about everything the band has released is easily available, for (mostly) dirt-cheap prices and in a physical format.

POINT MISSED, STONEY.

POINT.

MISSED.

Cry

Tell me it's okay.
People make mistakes.
People make mistakes.
Bean Bag
Smiley Smile Associate

Right?

View Profile
« Reply #648 on: June 12, 2013, 10:22:35 PM »

I think I'm just going to wait a while until either the price drops significantly or I can get one second hand.
Me too.  I'm not biting at the initial "you sh!ttin' me" price.

As I re-read the tracklist... I'm excited about this box.  I am.  There's a nice sprinkling of odds/ends.  But the price is bad.  Totally aimed at the empty nest, baby-boomer (who will actually get their pensions/retirements/social security!)  For me, there's way too much stuff on my music wish-list.

I think the Good Vibes Box was different.  It was much cheaper.  And at that time, I personally didn't have a lot of that stuff.  SMiLE sh-t.  Disc 4!! --The 70s stuff (was it even on CD before??).  The first disc was the hits but it had nicer sound than my crap 80's CDs and cassettes.  And it had a helping of rarities, too I think.  Disc 3 was peppered with cool stuff I didn't have.  Disc 2 was SMiLE!

50% (or more) was new to me.  I think I paid 35 bux for it?

Since then... we've had several comps with nice remixes and super-special remastering.  Several.  The SMiLE box!!!  I realize the vaults will dry up eventually.  But so will my appetite for $140 repackagings that offer $35 worth of value.  I think the SMiLE Sessions Box gave Capitol the wrong impression of what us "nuts" are willing to pay.

I think the box will be great for younger kids who don't have this stuff.
« Last Edit: June 12, 2013, 10:25:14 PM by Bean Bag » Logged

Jay
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #649 on: June 12, 2013, 10:23:44 PM »

I suppose it wouldn't hurt to have a one cd "best of the GV box" for all the unreleased tracks. But it's somewhat late in the game for that.

Now, I do think it would have been a better choice to include Somewhere Near Japan and possibly Island Girl over Barbra Ann and Kokomo.

gfx
Pages: 1 ... 21 22 23 24 25 [26] 27 28 29 30 31 ... 112 Go Up Print 
gfx
Jump to:  
gfx