gfxgfx

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
logo

gfx gfx
gfx
681509 Posts in 27639 Topics by 4082 Members - Latest Member: briansclub June 09, 2024, 10:00:36 PM
gfx*HomeHelpSearchCalendarLoginRegistergfx
gfxgfx
Pages: 1 ... 20 21 22 23 24 [25] 26 27 28 29 30 ... 112 Go Down Print
Author Topic: MiC up for order on Amazon, August release  (Read 445482 times)
Generation42
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #600 on: June 12, 2013, 02:03:30 PM »

I'm still finding it incredibly hard to believe that the final, 3-song suite off of TWHMTR was left off.
I'm pretty sure it's been said that "Strange World" is also part of the suite.

I should mention I'm very excited to hear a number of these songs, and though my specialty is Beatledom, from my perspective, the track listing looks pretty good.  As with everybody, there are some things left off that I would have liked to have seen included, but, geesh, there are some really mouth-watering choices here, huh?

Hey, I have a question, is there anything from the aborted '74 Caribou sessions included in the box?  If so, is any of it unheard?  I'd have to do some cross-referencing to know for sure, but many here will know just from looking at the track list.

Thanks for your help.
Nicko1234
« Reply #601 on: June 12, 2013, 02:09:28 PM »

Of course customers have the right to do this. But first of all, you are not a customer if you are saying you won't buy the box set. Second of all, if you do buy the box set and THEN feel ripped of, then you just haven't done you research properly - e.g. you already know what's on the box. Of course you can be disappointed, and hoped for other/more tracks, but you there's no point in feeling ripped off since you don't actually have to buy the box set.

All of us on the board are customers because we buy Beach Boys/Capitol products. Just because we might not buy every single thing they release does not stop us from being customers.
monicker
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #602 on: June 12, 2013, 02:10:37 PM »

PS In the same vein, people are moaning about the instrumental track to Transcendental Meditation being included. Well, hold your horses. The placing in the listing would suggest that this is going to be the backing track to 15 Big Ones' 'TM Song' rather than the unlistenably dischordant final track from Friends. And I know which I'd rather listen to an instrumental track from. And even if it IS the Friends track, a lot of the dissonance is in the vocals, so the instrumental may be far more listenable. If it is the 15 Big Ones Track, I will be delighted; to me, that one is another great BW curio that the vocals rather spoil, a bit like Fairy Tale from Holland....

Do you find any dissonant music listenable or is it something specific about Transcendental Meditation's dissonance that you find unlistenable? By the way, there is absolutely no chronology to the 6th disc, so song placement doesn't suggest anything on disc 6. I don't think there's any reason, based on the tracklist, to believe that "Transcendental Meditation" might be "TM Song."

I will say again i am really excited to hear Transcendental Meditation and Don't Go Near The Water backing tracks because i love those songs, but it's outright comical that those are being included, as it is my understanding that those two songs are pretty much universally hated amongst hardcore fans and completely unknown to the casual fan. 
« Last Edit: June 12, 2013, 02:13:26 PM by monicker » Logged

Don't be eccentric, this is a BEACH BOYS forum, for God's sake!
Cabinessenceking
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #603 on: June 12, 2013, 02:10:46 PM »

I've got all four version of 'Live at the Roxy', and I still don't feel ripped off.

this is basically my definition of a rip off. But to each and their own.
Dave Modny
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #604 on: June 12, 2013, 02:13:49 PM »

'm pretty sure it's been said that "Strange World" is also part of the suite.

Yep, technically you're absolutely correct. In fact, I made a note of mentioning on another board that it slightly irked me that the Wiki entry disregarded that at one point (it was stated by JT in an interview)....lol. Don't know if it's still up there like that though.

I was thinking more along the lines that, even though I  personally like Strange World, it's usually the final 3 songs that are considered the essential part by most. Hence, me still being a wee tad puzzled by their exclusion on the box.
Wirestone
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #605 on: June 12, 2013, 02:14:36 PM »

It is somewhat expensive. Right now. As many have said, I'd expect the overall price to drop a significant amount before release day. The same thing happened to TSS set. My guess is Amazon will end up with it under $100 (where it should be, most likely), and a lot of brick-and-mortar retailers will sell it for around $110 or $120. Hopefully less.

The worst waste of money, though, was this: http://www.amazon.com/Singles-Collection-Box-Beach-Boys/dp/B0018BWTSG/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1371071626&sr=8-1&keywords=The+Beach+Boys+singles+collection
Wirestone
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #606 on: June 12, 2013, 02:17:38 PM »

I will say again i am really excited to hear Transcendental Meditation and Don't Go Near The Water backing tracks because i love those songs, but it's outright comical that those are being included, as it is my understanding that those two songs are pretty much universally hated amongst hardcore fans and completely unknown to the casual fan. 

The latter point, sure. I don't know about the first. They're certainly not top flight classics, but I'm not aware of anything approaching universal hatred toward them. I mean, TM is kind of a joke, but has some neat things going on. And DGNTW is kinda lightweight but has a cool track and vocals.
Dave Modny
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #607 on: June 12, 2013, 02:18:34 PM »

Hey, I have a question, is there anything from the aborted '74 Caribou sessions included in the box?  If so, is any of it unheard?  I'd have to do some cross-referencing to know for sure, but many here will know just from looking at the track list.

Thanks for your help.

If "My Love Lives On" is the same performance, it's been noted that it was started during the Caribou sessions, and then finished during the Bambu sessions. So...that might be one. Also, assuming it's the same performance, "Barnyard Blues" was also recorded during the Caribou sessions. So...that might be another.

Not to mention Brian's original demo for "California Feeling" in '74. Though, that one was apparently recorded at Western. Sweet! Smiley
« Last Edit: June 12, 2013, 02:40:19 PM by Dave Modny » Logged
southbay
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #608 on: June 12, 2013, 02:29:32 PM »

'm pretty sure it's been said that "Strange World" is also part of the suite.

Yep, technically you're absolutely correct. In fact, I made a note of mentioning on another board that it slightly irked me that the Wiki entry disregarded that at one point (it was stated by JT in an interview)....lol. Don't know if it's still up there like that though.

I was thinking more along the lines that, even though I  personally like Strange World, it's usually the final 3 songs that are considered the essential part by most. Hence, me still being a wee tad puzzled by their exclusion on the box.

Should have been a 5 song suite, starting with Think About The days, then into Strange World...

Summer's gone...it's finally sinking in
Nicko1234
« Reply #609 on: June 12, 2013, 02:30:08 PM »

An earlier poster expressed anger on behalf of Alan Boyd and Mark Linett that some have questioned this set but I think it's cool that nobody has knocked their role in it. Doubtless they would have loved to include even more unreleased songs and it certainly won't have been their final decision on some of the inclusions/omissions.

Any disappointment that I have is saved for Capitol and to a certain extent for the band members themselves if they did indeed pick some of the album tracks for this set and veto rarities. The oft mentioned stuff like Our Car Club, Susie Cincinnati, Solar System etc. is unlikely to encourage either diehard fans or casual fans to buy the set so it is kind of pointless including it.
Mahalo
Smiley Smile Associate

..Stand back, Speak normally

View Profile
« Reply #610 on: June 12, 2013, 02:33:43 PM »

An earlier poster expressed anger on behalf of Alan Boyd and Mark Linett that some have questioned this set but I think it's cool that nobody has knocked their role in it. Doubtless they would have loved to include even more unreleased songs and it certainly won't have been their final decision on some of the inclusions/omissions.

Any disappointment that I have is saved for Capitol and to a certain extent for the band members themselves if they did indeed pick some of the album tracks for this set and veto rarities. The oft mentioned stuff like Our Car Club, Susie Cincinnati, Solar System etc. is unlikely to encourage either diehard fans or casual fans to buy the set so it is kind of pointless including it.

Well said, I have nothing but respect for those guys, as well as others. They are real "keepers of the flame",  always doing a good job in taking care of the music we consider high art.

Capitol, based on past decisions, is questionable.
picassosson
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #611 on: June 12, 2013, 02:34:37 PM »

I LOVE Transcendental Meditation. It's coooooh. If you don't understand that song, you don't understand Brian Wilson.
Don't Go Near The Water is pretty good too, and I think you could call me a hardcore fan.
♩♬🐸 Billy C ♯♫♩🐇
Pissing off drunks since 1978
Global Moderator

🍦🍦 Pet Demon for Sale - $5 or best offer ☮☮

View Profile WWW
« Reply #612 on: June 12, 2013, 02:38:05 PM »

Don't forget....the steaks were made from cows born on a weekday, and we all know the real Brian only eats meat slaughtered on a Saturday.

Need your song mixed/mastered? Contact me at fear2stop@yahoo.com. Serious inquiries only, please!
Mahalo
Smiley Smile Associate

..Stand back, Speak normally

View Profile
« Reply #613 on: June 12, 2013, 02:55:35 PM »

I LOVE Transcendental Meditation. It's coooooh. If you don't understand that song, you don't understand Brian Wilson.
Don't Go Near The Water is pretty good too, and I think you could call me a hardcore fan.

It's sooo coooooh.
Nicko1234
« Reply #614 on: June 12, 2013, 02:55:58 PM »

One further pondering...

If the band members are so sensitive about releasing rare material from the 70s onwards, how did all of those crappy Christmas recordings manage to make it onto Ultimate Christmas?
HeyJude
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile WWW
« Reply #615 on: June 12, 2013, 03:22:53 PM »

One further pondering...

If the band members are so sensitive about releasing rare material from the 70s onwards, how did all of those crappy Christmas recordings manage to make it onto Ultimate Christmas?

Because they had a context for releasing them. Also, they allegedly vetoed several that were left off, such as "Go and Get that Girl" and "Alone on Christmas Day." As I said, very arbitrary.

THE BEACH BOYS OPINION PAGE IS ON FACEBOOK!!! http://www.facebook.com/beachboysopinion - Check out the original "BEACH BOYS OPINION PAGE" Blog - http://beachboysopinion.blogspot.com/
the professor
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #616 on: June 12, 2013, 03:43:03 PM »

I can't make sense of all this discussion; so many of you know the arcana that I do not. Simply put, I pre-ordered today and look forward to 7 hours of fascinating pleasure to be heard over and over. Alan and the producers have labored, I am sure, as scholars to ensure we have moments of incredible beauty and celestial strains of harmony and expressiveness.

I have no wife nor kids and use my pay for just such things. For those of us struggling to make ends meet, I understand, and I hope you all get the chance to get it.

My heart remains broken about the failure of the BB to be making a new album right now. . . . .
Iron Horse-Apples
« Reply #617 on: June 12, 2013, 03:52:55 PM »

I knew MIC would be ripped apart within hours.

I also knew the anti-negativity police would get their riot gear on, and we'd get 50 + pages of rows about symantics.

I love it here  LOL

Perhaps we could start a new thread concentrating on the track listing. People have every right to gripe, but I'd like to start salivating over what we have, rather than bemoaning what we didn't get.
Wirestone
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #618 on: June 12, 2013, 03:54:45 PM »

I'm with you on that, Mr. Parentheses!
pixletwin
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #619 on: June 12, 2013, 04:01:48 PM »

I also knew the anti-negativity police would get their riot gear on, and we'd get 50 + pages of rows about symantics.

I love it here  LOL

Perhaps we could start a new thread concentrating on the track listing. People have every right to gripe, but I'd like to start salivating over what we have, rather than bemoaning what we didn't get.

You forgot about the posts by people complaining about the people who are complaining about the complainers.  Grin
Iron Horse-Apples
« Reply #620 on: June 12, 2013, 04:03:22 PM »

I'm with you on that, Mr. Parentheses!

Wasn't sure what you meant by parentheses (pretty sure it's this), but I'm glad we agree!
Iron Horse-Apples
« Reply #621 on: June 12, 2013, 04:05:40 PM »

I love it here  LOL

You forgot about the posts by people complaining about the people who are complaining about the complainers.  Grin

A bit like when people hate haters
zachrwolfe
« Reply #622 on: June 12, 2013, 04:09:06 PM »

« Last Edit: December 20, 2018, 09:04:50 PM by zatch » Logged
pixletwin
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #623 on: June 12, 2013, 04:17:48 PM »

I love it here  LOL

Which would make you someone complaining about the people complaining about the people who are complaining about the people complaining about MiC.

Which makes you someone complaining about the people complaining  about the people complaining about the people who are complaining about the people complaining about MiC.

*reaches for aspirin*  LOL
zachrwolfe
« Reply #624 on: June 12, 2013, 04:22:13 PM »

« Last Edit: December 20, 2018, 09:04:45 PM by zatch » Logged
gfx
Pages: 1 ... 20 21 22 23 24 [25] 26 27 28 29 30 ... 112 Go Up Print 
gfx
Jump to:  
gfx