gfxgfx

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
logo

gfx gfx
gfx
681508 Posts in 27639 Topics by 4082 Members - Latest Member: briansclub June 09, 2024, 02:37:57 PM
gfx*HomeHelpSearchCalendarLoginRegistergfx
gfxgfx
Pages: 1 ... 14 15 16 17 18 [19] 20 21 22 23 24 ... 112 Go Down Print
Author Topic: MiC up for order on Amazon, August release  (Read 445357 times)
runnersdialzero
Smiley Smile Associate

I WILL NEVER GO TO SCHOOL

View Profile
« Reply #450 on: June 11, 2013, 11:47:25 PM »

Also disappointed that they are using the Summer Love Songs mix of "Fallin' In Love" rather than Dennis & Rumbo's original single mix which is actually titled "Lady". It would be great if that was easily available. Isn't the only way to get a CD version getting either some Super Furry Animals influences CD or a Phoenix influences CD?

It's a needledrop and I'm pretty sure it's lossy-sourced. Not worth bothering with.

Tell me it's okay.
Tell me you still love me.
People make mistakes.
People make mistakes.
Nicko1234
« Reply #451 on: June 11, 2013, 11:54:32 PM »

One of the major gripes I have with this set is the album tracks that presumably the band members have chosen. It's frustrating (perhaps only to me) that if they had omitted stuff like Our Car Club, Salt Lake City, Susie Cincinnati, Don't Go Near the Water etc. then it would have been pretty easy to include all the studio recordings on the first 4 discs leaving disc 5 for live recordings.

Disc 4 could have been a very listenable collection from Rock and Roll Music through to TWGMTR (which is the final part of their career anyway) and disc 5 could have chronicled their live shows throughout the years hopefully including rarities like Jumpin Jack Flash, O Come All Ye Faithful, Country Pie etc. That would have been a more cohesive and interesting decision imo.
Nicko1234
« Reply #452 on: June 12, 2013, 12:03:32 AM »

I'm not ready to dismiss the 'crappy 1980s covers' because I bet these are some of the last real BW productions he did for the group, and he may have specifically requested their inclusion, who knows? They're both Spector songs after all !

Fair enough and these may be versions I haven't heard yet so I shouldn't judge them too soon.
Dave Modny
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #453 on: June 12, 2013, 12:05:50 AM »

Now that we're getting into dissecting the particulars of the set....

Does anyone else find it a bit puzzling that they're choosing to use what appears to be the Sounds Of Summer stereo remix of Shut Down? Which, frankly put, might be the worst in the bunch of the modern era stereo mixes/remixes.

Unless that date is incorrect.

I feel like, on the 2012 remasters or possibly another recent hits compilation, it was said that the Sounds Of Summer stereo mix of "Shut Down" was the one used when it was in fact the original. Lets hope so, as that one is indeed pretty bad unless they've fixed the phasing error that is literally physically painful to listen to.

Ah...interesting. Maybe that's indeed the case? We can only hope...lol.
Peter Reum
Honored Guest

Serving fine tortillas since 1965

View Profile
« Reply #454 on: June 12, 2013, 12:06:19 AM »

It would be nice to have a disc of live material, but given the recent release of the 2012 Tour Set, politically that was not doable. The period from KTSA to That's Why God Made Radio had only BB85, Still Cruisin, Summer In Paradise, and The Nashville lp. Not much listenable there...That's the rub. So, a compromise was struck. Not the best answer, but acceptable to the group.

If it runs amuck, call the duck
AndrewHickey
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #455 on: June 12, 2013, 12:19:41 AM »

I'm glad they kept the '80s stuff out, but "Carry Me Home", "Still I Dream Of It", "Stevie", "Big Sur" and "It's Not Easy Being Me" are stone-cold classics that I would personally love to have seen included, but we can't have it all ... and I'm sure there are very good reasons why some of these tracks just won't see the light of day right now.

Stuff like "Problem Child" and "Somewhere Near Japan" would just drag the set down (way down) in my opinion. Throw on "Chasin The Sky" and "Happy Endings" and you've got a real dud of a disc there!

I'm not ready to dismiss the 'crappy 1980s covers' because I bet these are some of the last real BW productions he did for the group, and he may have specifically requested their inclusion, who knows? They're both Spector songs after all !

The weirdest thing to me is the inclusion of all of the Smile stuff (it looks like Smiley is represented only by 'Wonderful') ... but I guess you've got to cater to every kind of potential fan/market.

Agreed with most of this. I'm very, very glad we've got what we've got. I would have liked all the songs you name, but I can see why some weren't included -- It's Not Easy Being Me is a solo track, for example.

The Smiley Smile ignore function: http://andrewhickey.info/the-smiley-smile-ignore-button-sort-of/
Most recent update 03/12/15
Dave Modny
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #456 on: June 12, 2013, 12:20:08 AM »

I'm still finding it incredibly hard to believe that the final, 3-song suite off of TWHMTR was left off. I mean, these types of all-encompassing collections are usually created to plead the artistic and musical case for a given artist in addition to any rarities, and these tracks were pretty much universally praised by everyone, and arguably the best stuff the band did in 35-40 years, so.......

I guess I don't want to read too much into this, and at the very least, it leaves more room for something else of an unreleased nature, but I can't help but wonder if there's still some tension or politics that helped aid in that decision?

On the other hand, maybe this also is a sign that, someday, they'll be integrated into a finished version of the Life Suite. That's about the only thing that seems to make sense to me in terms of their exclusion. That, or they were deemed too "final" in their themes. In some strange way...that may bode well for the band's future as well. However slim those chances may be.
Nicko1234
« Reply #457 on: June 12, 2013, 12:20:53 AM »

It would be nice to have a disc of live material, but given the recent release of the 2012 Tour Set, politically that was not doable. The period from KTSA to That's Why God Made Radio had only BB85, Still Cruisin, Summer In Paradise, and The Nashville lp. Not much listenable there...That's the rub. So, a compromise was struck. Not the best answer, but acceptable to the group.

That kind of makes sense but the recent release of 50 Big Ones didn't stop them from putting every song on this set. Wink

As there are 15 live songs, would adding another 10 or 12 really have made that much of a difference though? I don't know exactly who Capitol are trying to aim this set at but it seems like it's a bit of a double headed sex beast really.
Disney Boy (1985)
« Reply #458 on: June 12, 2013, 12:21:04 AM »

I held my breath as I read the tracklisting, preparing myself for a lot of 'What the f**ks'! However, I was very impressed...

Sure, there's a few album cuts I personally wouldn't have gone with - Our Car Club, Don't Go Near The Water - and a few absences I wish had been included - All I Wanna Do and Where I Belong - but all in all it's a fantastic set.

Lots of Dennis, which is good, especially after his measly showing on Good Vibrations. Very pleased to see Celebrate The News on there! And Sound Of Free and WIBNTLA - yes please!

Very pleased Tears In The Morning isn't on there, as I'd have thought Bruce would've really pushed for it. Also, quite glad there's no HCTN (Disco version) or Fun Fun Fun (with Status Quo) etc. There's definitive, and then there's just crap. It's a very tasteful collection.

Not particularly bothered about the absence of Adult/Child material - most of which is enjoyable, but tossed off and lazy (I'm personally very happy for Everybody Wants To Live to stay in the vaults - awful song). However, I'm gutted there's no My Solution - booo!! Also, surprised there's no Big Sur (early version). I'd have thought Mike would've really pushed for that.

So a few minor gripes, as I'm sure we're all going to have, but all in all I'm very pleased with it and very excited. Roll on August 27th!!
Nicko1234
« Reply #459 on: June 12, 2013, 12:27:34 AM »

I'm still finding it incredibly hard to believe that the final, 3-song suite off of TWHMTR was left off. I mean, these types of all-encompassing collections are usually created to plead the artistic and musical case for a given artist in addition to any rarities, and these tracks were pretty much universally praised by everyone, and arguably the best stuff the band did in 35-40 years, so.......

I guess I don't want to read too much into this, and at the very least, it leaves more room for something else of an unreleased nature, but I can't help but wonder if there's still some tension or politics that helped aid in that decision?

On the other hand, maybe this also is a sign that, someday, they'll be integrated into a finished version of the Life Suite. That's about the only thing that seems to make sense to me in terms of their exclusion. That, or they were deemed too "final" in their themes. In some strange way...that may bode well for the band's future as well. However slim those chances may be.

As those songs aren't unreleased I don't think they should be a part of any future compilation. The next box set surely won't be issued for a long time now.

I agree certainly that Summer's Gone should have been the final song on this collection. This is supposed to be career spanning and that song obviously marked an end for them.
Dave Modny
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #460 on: June 12, 2013, 12:30:16 AM »

Agreed with most of this. I'm very, very glad we've got what we've got. I would have liked all the songs you name, but I can see why some weren't included -- It's Not Easy Being Me is a solo track, for example.

Which also begs the question how "Sound Of Free" miraculously got included? I guess using the alternate version/mix of "Lady" freed them up from any rights issues that come with using Denny's released solo material, but how were they able to use SOF then? Simple licensing? Or does that track fall under some sort of BBs umbrella from a legal/rights standpoint?
Dave Modny
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #461 on: June 12, 2013, 12:34:29 AM »

As those songs aren't unreleased I don't think they should be a part of any future compilation. The next box set surely won't be issued for a long time now.

I agree certainly that Summer's Gone should have been the final song on this collection. This is supposed to be career spanning and that song obviously marked an end for them.

No, I was saying that them not being on the current box set, at the very least, perhaps left more room here for something unreleased. Glass half-full mindset, in view of me not understanding their absence, that is. Smiley
Nicko1234
« Reply #462 on: June 12, 2013, 12:38:42 AM »

No, I was saying that them not being on the current box set, at the very least, perhaps left more room here for something unreleased. Glass half-full mindset, in view of me not understanding their absence, that is. Smiley

I apologize.

But of course they could have included them and omitted stuff like Brian's Back. Glass half-empty mindset. Smiley
« Last Edit: June 12, 2013, 12:42:37 AM by Nicko1234 » Logged
AndrewHickey
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #463 on: June 12, 2013, 12:46:21 AM »

Which also begs the question how "Sound Of Free" miraculously got included? I guess using the alternate version/mix of "Lady" freed them up from any rights issues that come with using Denny's released solo material, but how were they able to use SOF then? Simple licensing? Or does that track fall under some sort of BBs umbrella from a legal/rights standpoint?

I'm pretty sure the Rumbo tracks were owned by Brother, so don't have the same legal complications as the Caribou material. And I suspect that both tracks involve multiple Beach Boys (and certainly Mike co-wrote Sound Of Free).

The Smiley Smile ignore function: http://andrewhickey.info/the-smiley-smile-ignore-button-sort-of/
Most recent update 03/12/15
Dave Modny
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #464 on: June 12, 2013, 12:50:53 AM »

I apologize.

But of course they could have included them and omitted stuff like Brian's Back. Glass half-empty mindset. Smiley

Heh. Indeed. In reality, my gut feeling is that it didn't have anything at all to do with them simply wanting room for anything else. That is, I'd really love to know the story behind their exclusion.
Dave Modny
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #465 on: June 12, 2013, 12:54:47 AM »

I'm pretty sure the Rumbo tracks were owned by Brother, so don't have the same legal complications as the Caribou material. And I suspect that both tracks involve multiple Beach Boys (and certainly Mike co-wrote Sound Of Free).

Okay, cool. Thanks! I suppose AGD might know the particulars, as I could've sworn he mentioned something related to all this when that alt. version of Lady was released on Summer Love Songs. Either that...or I just imagined it...lol!

Andrew G. Doe
Smiley Smile Associate

The triumph of The Hickey Script !

View Profile WWW
« Reply #466 on: June 12, 2013, 02:01:15 AM »

« Last Edit: June 12, 2013, 02:12:05 AM by Andrew G. Doe » Logged

The four sweetest words in my vocabulary: "This poster is ignored".
Cabinessenceking
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #467 on: June 12, 2013, 02:21:57 AM »

Excuse me, friends, but is
 Surf's Up (1967 Version) (2012 Mix)

Just Brian's demo? Because if not, that'd be pretty awesome haha...

It's the "Wild Honey" version that was on the SMiLE Sessions I assume.

IIRC they found two different WH recordings of Brian playing Surf's Up. Since this one says 2012 mix (TSS version coming out in 2011) we could perhaps see the other version.
Cabinessenceking
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #468 on: June 12, 2013, 02:24:39 AM »

Lots of good stuff, but I would have preferred fewer accapella versions and more rarities, e.g. a good live version of "I've got a friend", or its recorded backing track.

Don't worry, they gave us "Transcendental Meditation (instrumental)" instead!  Roll Eyes
The Real Barnyard
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile WWW
« Reply #469 on: June 12, 2013, 03:05:02 AM »

The prize has gone up to 145.49 on amazon.com

smile-holland
Smiley Smile Associate

The dream of Amsterdamee...

View Profile
« Reply #470 on: June 12, 2013, 03:21:12 AM »

He's outside just itching to get back in! Dead Horse

Last Active:  Today at 11:24:30 AM

Ahhh!

Just re-cheked: it's a partial ban. He can log in, but can't post.

Rule of thumb, think BEFORE you post. And THINK how it may affect someone else's feelings.

Check out the Beach Boys Starline website, the place for pictures of many countries Beach Boys releases on 45.

Listening to you I get the music; Gazing at you I get the heat; Following you I climb the mountain; I get excitement at your feet
Right behind you I see the millions; On you I see the glory; From you I get opinions; From you I get the story
Freddie French-Pounce
Smiley Smile Associate

A.K.A. mrmoustachioto

View Profile
« Reply #471 on: June 12, 2013, 03:34:56 AM »

He's outside just itching to get back in! Dead Horse

Last Active:  Today at 11:24:30 AM

Ahhh!

Just re-cheked: it's a partial ban. He can log in, but can't post.

Can you let him do one post? I'd liek to see what he says, but then not allow him any discussion on the matter.

Check out the Mono/Stereo Mix Breakdown podcast Mixology here: https://mixology.podbean.com/
Gertie J.
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #472 on: June 12, 2013, 03:38:56 AM »

hell no. we're likely to get the same piece of crap.

dj, blogger, and hanger-on
Smilin Ed H
« Reply #473 on: June 12, 2013, 04:04:10 AM »

Naturally, I'd moan at the inclusion of Goin'to the Beach on the grounds it's trivial - though Mike seemed to go on about it at the time; I could also do without Da Doo Ron Ron. And yeah, I can think of things (that I'm familiar with) that should've been included - particularly Carry Me Home, but this is a career-spanning retrospective first and foremost, not a rarites box,  so we should be grateful for what we get. We were never going to the whole of Adult Child - thankfully...
tansen
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #474 on: June 12, 2013, 04:07:09 AM »

As for price, are you guys not familiar with importcds.com - usually much better prices than amazon.com.

http://www.importcds.com/music/2617315/the-beach-boys-made-in-california
(can't be ordered yet, but the price is better).

As for content, I bet I'll be dissapointed in WIBN(TLA), it's just been hyped too much. Grin

Also I think it's funny how some of you guys think this will be the last Beach Boys archival release - I'll bet my ass that we'll see more rarities in the future, in particular when rest of BRI has seized to exist (e.g. DAB).
« Last Edit: June 12, 2013, 04:17:11 AM by tansen » Logged

Tansen - "He Who Commands an Army of Notes"
gfx
Pages: 1 ... 14 15 16 17 18 [19] 20 21 22 23 24 ... 112 Go Up Print 
gfx
Jump to:  
gfx